Sense of Speed.

• Thread starter GTO_VR4
  • 5 comments
United States
Earth
So hows the sense of speed in this game?

I think everybody knew that in gt3, it sucked hardcore. because your going like 80mph, and looks like your barely going 20..

So..how is it in gtp?

I'd say its a little better, but still could do with improvement. Normal cars still feel very sedate even when driven at speed, its only really the cars like the McLaren that give any real sense of speed.

Still looks like they may be trying to improve this in GT4 with the possibility of blur effects, but we'll see. :)

I'd say ban the words 'sense of speed' ... people keep asking about this over and over again, and it drives me nuts. :D I keep replying that the feeling of speed doesn't come from the graphics - compare that movie which puts GT4's RX8 on Tsukuba right next to a recording of a cockpit view of a real RX8 at Tsukuba. They look exactly the same. They have the same sense of speed. But nobody wants to add blur effects to the real life recording of a real car racing on the real track, yet people keep complaining about GT4.

The sense of speed doesn't come from what you see, but from what you feel. Do you feel the g-forces in your back, the struggle with the wheel to keep the car pointing the right way on the track when it over or understeers, the trembling of the car when the stiff suspension hits the kerbstones. A few months ago I was in a train doing over 300km/h and the only sense of speed you got was from looking through the side window and seeing what's really close to you whizz by. But if you're in a car, you focus on what's in front and barely notice what's on the side. However you do see more than on a normal monitor/tv or an in-car tv recording of a real car doing a lap on a real track. Therefore the best you can do to improve this 'sense of speed' (ugh) is to get a widescreen TV and a good Wheel with decent Force Feedback.

Combine that with a fast car on street tires and no TCS on in GT4 Prologue, and I say the sense of speed is pretty good. If that doesn't help, pick a track where the stuff on the side is real close to you like on Citta d'Aria, or also Grand Canyon with the people jumping away. It works for me. If it doesn't work for you, you're probably more the Burnout 3 type. ;)

Speed effect in GT3 was as good as real life.

A guy made a video of both real and GT3 car racing down the same track, speed is the same, effect is the same.

well **** me a brick, you guys are right. I mean one time i was going around 140mph in a car and really didnt look all that fast..

Back