Setup Vs. Setup

• Thread starter -Batman-
  • 153 comments
Eh! This thread is fun, but to be fun must be orginized. It would be better off if we keep this to a small number of people, hopefully positive people who dont just critisize your settings negatively. This is the deal. One person picks a track and a car, we all post our setups and talk about it. Ill start it off from something MacRoadster said.

What about the Toyota MR2 (my favorite car ) to be the next one? If it's ok to everyone, MR2 GT-S (new car) at Grand Valley Speedway.

Here's my setup (supersoft tyres, all upgrades, no TCSC or ASCC):

Springs: 2.9/4.3
Height: 92/92
Damper Bound: 5/5
Damper Rebound: 5/5
Camber: 0.0/0.0
Toe: 0.00/0.00
Stabilizers: 3/4
Brakes: 18/14

Gears:
1- 2.538
2- 1.855
3- 1.406
4- 1.080
5- 0.860
Final- 3.350
Auto- 3

Downforce: 0.47/0.76
LSD: 56/56/56

You guys might like more of this setup, since it's not so "nervous" as my other setups. I like alot of this car/setup and was able to win all the races this car can enter (except GT500 championship, haven't tried it yet ) only doing some small changes to this setup in some tracks, so i think its a nice one, at least to me...

Just made a few laps at Grand Valley and got a best of 1:46:944 with a top speed of 278Km/h (limited by gearbox, i should have used a final ratio of 3.300 or maybe a bit less, too lazy to change it now... ).

Tomorrow will leave on holidays, so you guys keep trying cars/setups and i'll catch up in a week or so...
Cyas

Wow, what a sweet [R] body! See, that's what I love about GT2. How long have I been playing? Since March of 2004, and even after all this time, the game STILL surprises me. I've been really into silver cars lately and chose the silver mod over the blue one.

So I tried Mac's setup finally! Really dug the gears. 1st is nice & deep and since the torque band kicks in only in the higher rpms, there was no wheelspin whatsoever. I woulda preferred a taller 2nd gear, just so there's less shifting in some of those twisty parts of GV. And as Mac alrady pointed out, 5th wasn't tall enough for the straight. The MR2 didn't overrev, but during a race if I were drafting another car, it would have run out of rev space for sure.

Again, the LSD settings guarantee excellent cornering without fear of spinning, and again I found I could get the MR2 nearly sideways in those hairpins (something I'd NEVER do usually) and it didn't complain. But I found that I couldn't brake as late as I wanted...late braking is possible, but I found myself having to wait for the car to start turning. It's a wonderful setup for those longer turns, but I prefer something looser so I can blast thru that super-tite chicane section after the long, curved tunnel. The back end of the car got a bit squirrely going over some bumps especially under power (like at the top of the hill, for instance). All in all, it's useful. I feel like I learned something from Mac here about tuning MR!

Last edited:
Here's my setup. I'd have to say that it's more nervous than Mac's, oddly, but this is what I'd typically use if I were racing sim. It is also a looser feel during cornering but the springs are a little tighter. I guess that during sim races, I like to have the danger of a spin to be not immediate, but at least present! I don't like playing it too safe. Again, you won't get the best lap times here (I managed 1:48.615), but the replay should look a bit more slippery.

Springs: 4.2 / 6.3 kg/mm
Height: 99/102mm
B. Dampers: 4/3
R. Dampers: 5/4
Camber: 3.0°/1.4°
Toe: 0.0 / -.05
Stabizr: 3/4

Brakes: 19/14

Tranny: Auto 12
1st: 2.182
2nd: 1.369
3rd: 1.017
4th: 0.775
5th: 0.629
Final: 4.285 (stock)

Downforce: max/.70
LSd: 20/31/11
All Supersoft tires, and the best parts. No traction or stability controls.

Last edited:
I'm glad you liked my setup, Parnelli :)

My setups for small MR cars aren't so "nervous", because those cars like to spin easily... and since i don't have analog controller to have a progressive steering, it gets harder to control them with a "nervous" setup.

Just tried your setup and it's a nice one, much closer to mine than the Mustang setups, which were completly different.
Just couldn't get those gear ratios with auto at 12... That auto thing should be shot, it makes setting up gearboxes a mess...

By the way, if you like silver cars what about a silver MR2 with black roof? I think it looks great :D

MacRoadster
I'm glad you liked my setup, Parnelli :)

My setups for small MR cars aren't so "nervous", because those cars like to spin easily... and since i don't have analog controller to have a progressive steering, it gets harder to control them with a "nervous" setup.

Just tried your setup and it's a nice one, much closer to mine than the Mustang setups, which were completly different.
Just couldn't get those gear ratios with auto at 12... That auto thing should be shot, it makes setting up gearboxes a mess...

By the way, if you like silver cars what about a silver MR2 with black roof? I think it looks great :D

I tend to use alot more ground clearance & camber along with softer springs & dampers at bumpy tracks like Deep Forest, Seattle, and Trail Mountain. In GT1 & 3, I've noticed you HAVE to do this or your car will bottom out and lose speed. I've merely kept the habit up in GT2, even tho (as Pupik pointed out long ago) the game designers of GT2 forgot to program car bottoms, so you don't have cars dragging at all.

2. Yeah, I'm an Auto setup guy! lol. I know it's lazy. If I can get away with simply using stock, sports, or s/r gears, I'll do this rather than set my own gears! It's pure laziness. I might learn a thing or 2 from you since you actively use the Final drive instead of auto setup.

3. Yeah, silver & black looks sexy. Man, when GT2 gets a car right graphically, they really get it right. Whenever I discover a new car or [R] kit, I always go awwww just like that. But when they get it wrong, it looks like a shiny, plastic blob.

So what's the next car? Didn't -Batman- have one? If not, I got a goodie!

Last edited:
heyy! back from vacation..it rocked...saw a little beach racing...burnouts were insane with sand all over!

i was thinking of the s4 limo from audi...i just thought we'd change it upp for some fun

-Batman-
heyy! back from vacation..it rocked...saw a little beach racing...burnouts were insane with sand all over!

i was thinking of the s4 limo from audi...i just thought we'd change it upp for some fun

ok, i'm up 4 it

Here's my setup for the Lotus Europa at Deep Forest, as you suggested on the other topic, Parnelli:

Springs: 4.0/4.4
Height: 89/89
Dampers bound: 2/10
Dampers rebound: 2/10
Stabilizers: 7/7
Brakes: 18/15

Gears
1st: 3.220
2nd: 2.118
3rd: 1.651
4th: 1.340
5th: 1.058
Final: 2.950
Auto: 15

Downforce: 42/70
LSD: 30/56/30

The car was easier to drive on that track than i expected, and easily made a time of 1:13:379. Could do at least 1 sec faster according to my best times in each sector, but didn't bothered with it... for some reason i never liked much of this car... :P

Batman, you forgot to choose a track for the S4...

See, that's why I picked this car with this particular track.. it's a challenge, aint it? Seems like every time you want the Europa to get some oversteer, it won't cooperate and instead you'll get understeer. But when you're NOT trying to get oversteer, well...of course that's when you'll be in danger of a near spin!

I tried to dial this one so that I could get some maneuverability thru the hairpin but a nice, stable ride thru those downhill turns. Still, the Europa likes being uncooperative. The key is to anticipate when it's gonna mis-behave and then countersteer before the car starts oversteering if you get my drift. I managed a 1:13.017 after I took .10 negative toe off the rear wheels. Before this, all I could manage was 1:13.458...the rear of the Europa kept getting squirrelish thru turns. after I took the rear toe off, it was so much easier to drive.

Springs: 3.3 / 4.7 kg/mm
Height: 110 / 106 mm
B. Damps: 3/2
R. Damps: 5/4
Camber: 3.1°/1.7°
Toe: +.10/0.0
Stabl: 4/2
Brakes: 13/16
Downforce: .35/.48
LSD: 27/30/10
Gears: Auto 10
1st: 2.733
2nd: 1.927
3rd: 1.413
4th: 1.057
5th: .855
Final: 3.770

I used all supersoft tires, tho during a sim race I woulda probly went with something less sticky. Single-plate clutch, semi-racing flywheel..and of course no traction controls. :)

Last edited:
-Batman-
nope im back...batmans a little busy with his...buisness lately...so i wont be as frequent here

Oh well, that sucks. I understand your predicament, tho...your being a crime fighter and all. What is this week? the Joker? Catwoman? :)

Mac, your setup is like a slot car compared to mine! With the car completely lowered and full downforce, it feels a lot heavier..it's like you can feel the weight of the car and the air as it pushes down on the spoiler & wing. I had to alter my driving lines a bit thru corners and couldn't brake into them so much. Instead, I had to do most of my braking before the turn. The rear damper settings + the limited slip really made it less prone to spin and the back end of the car became like glue compared to mine (my Europa, as you'll see, is more like strawberry jam with its looser feel). Anyway, it was interesting experiment. The GT40 and the Europa really make me appreciate how much more difficult these cars from the past are to drive when compared to an NSX or XJ220. Must have really tired race drivers out back then.

Last edited:
Just tried your "strawberry jam" Parnelli :)

Yes your car is lighter, and something i liked was that releasing the gas, sometimes was enough to make the rear slide a bit and help cornering.

On the other hand, it does something that i really hate... when cornering the front likes to "dive" into the apex, even if i'm not steering, forcing me to have to countersteer to avoid a spin. I really don't like that because i have to be always steering and countersteering.
I think it's that toe and all that front camber...

Just so you can see how bad i am with a car that handles like that, my best time was a 1:15, and it was much harder to get than the 1:13 with my setup.

Please... don't make me drive another car like that or... i'll shoot you!!
hehehe... just kiddin ;)

MacRoadster
Just tried your "strawberry jam" Parnelli :)

Yes your car is lighter, and something i liked was that releasing the gas, sometimes was enough to make the rear slide a bit and help cornering.

On the other hand, it does something that i really hate... when cornering the front likes to "dive" into the apex, even if i'm not steering, forcing me to have to countersteer to avoid a spin. I really don't like that because i have to be always steering and countersteering.
I think it's that toe and all that front camber...

Just so you can see how bad i am with a car that handles like that, my best time was a 1:15, and it was much harder to get than the 1:13 with my setup.

Please... don't make me drive another car like that or... i'll shoot you!!
hehehe... just kiddin ;)

Okay, how about the '97 Mazda Demio G package at Super Speedway? :)

Ha ha, now THAT was a joke!

I'm used to countersteer...I guess it's bc I'd rather have the option of altering my driving line thru corners if I don't enter them how I wanted. With your settings I felt more committed. Once I was in the corner, that was it...I had less of an option. Well that was fun wasn't it? runs off to corner while MacR gets the shotgun

Hey, I still wanna try Batman's S4. I'm gonna email him and ask what track he was thinkin of.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's nice to try other people setups for a change :)

With small cars i always go for more stable setups, while with bigger cars i go for something more "nervous". A "nervous" setup in a small car and i'll be kissing a wall very quickly...

Ok let's wait for Batman... probably he smashed his Batmobile but it's ok... :rolleyes:

You haven't played GT2 until you install 7Speed Tranny's in all your cars!!!

Wanna bet I'll take a flame for this one? :nervous:

PS. Be gentle, Thanks!👍

HYBRIDLVR
You haven't played GT2 until you install 7Speed Tranny's in all your cars!!!

Wanna bet I'll take a flame for this one? :nervous:

PS. Be gentle, Thanks!👍

I got the flamethrower if you got the fuel, Batman. :) ha ha.

Last edited:
-Batman-
Eh! This thread is fun, but to be fun must be orginized. It would be better off if we keep this to a small number of people, hopefully positive people who dont just critisize your settings negatively. This is the deal. One person picks a track and a car, we all post our setups and talk about it. Ill start it off from something MacRoadster said.

What about the Toyota MR2 (my favorite car ) to be the next one? If it's ok to everyone, MR2 GT-S (new car) at Grand Valley Speedway.

Here's my setup (supersoft tyres, all upgrades, no TCSC or ASCC):

Springs: 2.9/4.3
Height: 92/92
Damper Bound: 5/5
Damper Rebound: 5/5
Stabilizers: 3/4
Brakes: 18/14

Gears:
1- 2.538
2- 1.855
3- 1.406
4- 1.080
5- 0.860
Final- 3.350
Auto- 3

You guys might like more of this setup, since it's not so "nervous" as my other setups. I like alot of this car/setup and was able to win all the races this car can enter (except GT500 championship, haven't tried it yet ) only doing some small changes to this setup in some tracks, so i think its a nice one, at least to me...

Just made a few laps at Grand Valley and got a best of 1:46:944 with a top speed of 278Km/h (limited by gearbox, i should have used a final ratio of 3.300 or maybe a bit less, too lazy to change it now... ).

Tomorrow will leave on holidays, so you guys keep trying cars/setups and i'll catch up in a week or so...
Cyas

I'm glad someone posted a basic tuning for the MR2.
Tuning that car has always been one of the biggest challenge for me in GT1,2,3 and 4.
Same with Lotus Elise.

Thanks

Biased turkey
I'm glad someone posted a basic tuning for the MR2.
Tuning that car has always been one of the biggest challenge for me in GT1,2,3 and 4.
Same with Lotus Elise.

Thanks
No problem :)

Parnelli also posted his setup for the MR2 GT-S, so if you don't like mine you still have another one to try... ;)

The Elise it's a very nice car too 👍 we were waiting for Batman to post his S4 setup, but maybe we can go for the Elise meanwhile... what you say Parnelli? :rolleyes:

MacRoadster
No problem :)

Parnelli also posted his setup for the MR2 GT-S, so if you don't like mine you still have another one to try... ;)

The Elise it's a very nice car too 👍 we were waiting for Batman to post his S4 setup, but maybe we can go for the Elise meanwhile... what you say Parnelli? :rolleyes:

You name the track, Mac and I'll do it since our Caped Crusader seems to be lost in Gotham at the moment.

PS..when it's my turn to pick a new car & track, I got a goodie! :)

Last edited:
hey guys, post your S4 setups...im reaaaaaaaaaaaaally busy with...workin after hours...tough season...tends to cool down around june. My S4 setup is extravagant...but its still beign changed beacuse everytime i drive it it feels different:S

-Batman-
hey guys, post your S4 setups...im reaaaaaaaaaaaaally busy with...workin after hours...tough season...tends to cool down around june. My S4 setup is extravagant...but its still beign changed beacuse everytime i drive it it feels different:S

What track, Batman? You have to choose a track for the S4. Oh, and We miss you, man.

lol... Batman forgot to tell us the track again... :boggled:

Ok Parnelli, here's my setup for the Elise 190 at Seattle Short Course. A small track for a small car ;)

Springs: 6.6/2.0
Height: 94/89
Damper Bound: 1/10
Damper Rebound: 1/10
Stabilizers: 1/7
Brakes: 18/12

Gears:
1- 2.782
2- 1.953
3- 1.480
4- 1.180
5- 0.955
Final- 4.320
Auto- 10

Downforce: 0.20/0.50

I've found this setup to have a good mix of fun and speed, being a bit nervous but not too much. Let's see if Biased turkey likes it... :rolleyes:

I did several laps of 57.xxx with a best of 57.153, seems to be a reliable setup for an endurance... :rolleyes:

Lotus Elise at Seattle SHORT?? Grrrrr! I'm gonna get you for this one!

I may not be able to get to it tonite, I'm going to Sacramento this weekend so if I don't post tonite, expect me to be back on Monday

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Lotus Elise at Seattle SHORT?? Grrrrr! I'm gonna get you for this one!

I may not be able to get to it tonite, i'm going to Sacramento this weekend so if i don't post tonite, expect me to be back on Monday
lol... what's the problem!? you don't like it? That's good... it's my revenge!!! :lol:

Ok, take your time Parnelli, maybe Batman Returns till then... :rolleyes:

MacRoadster
I did several laps of 57.xxx with a best of 57.153, seems to be a reliable setup for an endurance...
Awesome time, the best time I can get is 58.xxx
I use lower front springs to make easier turn

Springs: 3.5/2.0
Height: 89/89
Damper Bound: 1/1
Damper Rebound: 1/1
Stabilizers: 7/7
Brakes: 12/12

Gears:
1- 4.653
2- 3.237
3- 2.388
4- 1.856
5- 1.467
Final- 2.500
Auto- 1

2 way LSD

Sucahyo, with the lower/softer height/springs you turn better, but with all that downforce and those gear ratios, i've found the car not using all it's power... i was loosing on straights what i was getting on corners...

I think you should use shorter ratios or less downforce, or a bit of both. If you look to the power/torque graph you can see the maximum torque is at 7100rpm and maximum power at 7600rpm. With your gearbox i couldn't get to 7000rpm in 5th gear... so i wasn't using all the car's power.

Still i did a best of 57.501 with those settings.
That car on that track can do at least 56.5xx (looking at my best times in each sector), don't know if someone better than me can take it to 55.xxx, but at least 56.xxx i know it's possible. :)

MacRoadster
Sucahyo, with the lower/softer height/springs you turn better, but with all that downforce and those gear ratios, i've found the car not using all it's power... i was loosing on straights what i was getting on corners...

I try to use lower downforce, but I get slower time because I keep bumping the wall, I am just not good on corner.

I think my gear setting is short enough, on 0-1000m machine test, fuly tuned 267Hp 597kg Lotus Elise 190, auto transmission will get me :
22.826 with 0.47/0.76 downforce, auto 1 on 4.000, with 2.500 final gear
22.557 with 0.15/.25 downforce, auto 1 on 4.000, with 2.500 final gear
23.083 with 0.15/0.25 downforce, auto 10 on 4.320, with 4.320 final gear

I use 2.500 as final gear because on 0-1000m machine test it make faster time, I think it has the same effect as lighter flywheel

sucahyo
I think my gear setting is short enough, on 0-1000m machine test, fuly tuned 267Hp 597kg Lotus Elise 190, auto transmission will get me :
22.826 with 0.47/0.76 downforce, auto 1 on 4.000, with 2.500 final gear
22.557 with 0.15/.25 downforce, auto 1 on 4.000, with 2.500 final gear
23.083 with 0.15/0.25 downforce, auto 10 on 4.320, with 4.320 final gear

I use 2.500 as final gear because on 0-1000m machine test it make faster time, I think it has the same effect as lighter flywheel
It doesn't matter if you have the best gear ratios for 1000m, if you go to a track where the biggest straight has 800m...
If you can take it to the max power rpm (7600) at this track (Seattle Short), then it's ok, if not, then you're not using all the car's power...

The better your flywheel, the better the acceleration, for the same gear ratios. One thing doesn't "replace" the other...

sorry i havnt been around guys...makes me feel good that you miss me..i feel important lol...ill try to get going up here again...i have one major problem..

GT2 disc got wrecked by my buddy, roled over it with his conputer chair.

Snapped in half :'(

Back