Share your setups!

• Thread starter TheMoose
  • 21 comments
RaceVW14 GTP_TheMoose for GT5P
Who needs a xbox? I gotta PS3!
Ok I know some of you have some killer setups so how about sharing!!
List your best setups & the tracks they work best at.

I'm not having any problems beating the Gold medal times in the time trials & I am just able to keep ahead of the pack in AI medium but I'm no where near the times I need for the hard AI races in career mode.

I race in hard mode and all i do before each race is race car evolution, seems to find the best set up for your driving style

How do you save setups? It's a pain having to run through the evolution every time you want to race. I'd prefer to go straight to qualy with a setup I know works...

Melbourne Setup (dry, renault):

Tryes dry and soft
Tyre pressure as low as possible
Traction control 85%

Front wing 45%
Rear wing 40%
Front suspension 17
Rear suspension 17
Front Camber -2.9
Rear Camber -3.0
Toe +0.020

Ride Height 17mm
Anti roll max
Leave rebound damping alone

Gears:
1= 20.4
2= 15.5
3= 12.3
4= 10.4
5= 8.9
6= 8.1
7= 7.2

Brakes= 53:47 (anti lock on)

I managed a 1.23,978 with this setup. Average lap times can be around 1.24,300-1.24,600 easily.

Although the tyres will wear really quickly with this setup. Reduce anti roll and suspension and increase camber if you are doing a race.
The suspension might be a bit hard so you can soften that but it might cost a few tenths. Ride height is also very low so dont take too much kerb with it. Brake bias should be changed to around 60:40 if you dont want to use antilock.

Thats pretty much graunteed to make you win as long as you can drive without too many mistakes.

Let me know what you think.

Wow, my previous best Monza time was 1:22.398, then I decided to try it with zero downforce and I was able to make 1:20.819 with one of my first few attempts. Tyre pressure was 40 for the front and 30 for the rear, front camber was -2.5 and rear camber was -3.0.

Wow, my previous best Monza time was 1:22.398, then I decided to try it with zero downforce and I was able to make 1:20.819 with one of my first few attempts. Tyre pressure was 40 for the front and 30 for the rear, front camber was -2.5 and rear camber was -3.0.

No downforce? I mean, I know Monza is a low downforce track, but are you serious in that you used no downforce, or was it just an exaggeration? I'm not trying to 'call you out', I'm just interested to know as I've only been able to hit a time like that when racing online, and even then I was drafting someone. What car did you use? Thanks in advance.

I swear, no bull****. It was a Ferrari, I just set the downforce to absolutely zero and presumed I would be spinning all over the place but far from it, my fastest monza time ever. I couldn't get anywhere near the same time with a Renault or McLaren. It seems that the Ferrari engine is the most powerful.

Excellent. I will surely try this out and see if I'm any match for your time.

Thanks again.

Edit: Got a few attempts in and hit 1'20.626 pretty easily. I had my tire pressures at the minimum values and camber was only at 0.8 for the front and 0.4 for the rear. I'll try tweaking a few things later to see if I can improve. If so, I'll post the full setup here. :)

Imola Setup (Dry) - Ferrari

Time: 1'16.409 (could probably manage 1'16.0 on a good lap)

Code:
Tire Compound: Soft
Tire Pressure: 15F/30R
Traction Control: 80%
Downforce: 70F/66R
Suspension: 8F/8R
Camber:	-0.8F/-0.2R
Toe: 0.017
Ride Height: 20mm
Anti-Roll: 39000F/144000R
Rebound: 9600F/9600R
Bound: 7500F/7500R
Brake Bias: 59/41
Gearing:
1st: 20.5
2nd: 16.1
3rd: 12.4
4th: 10.3
5th: 9.2
6th: 8.1
7th: 7.4

Z
Imola Setup (Dry) - Ferrari

Time: 1'16.409 (could probably manage 1'16.0 on a good lap)

Code:
Tire Compound: Soft
Tire Pressure: 15F/30R
Traction Control: 80%
Downforce: 70F/66R
Suspension: 8F/8R
Camber:	-0.8F/-0.2R
Toe: 0.017
Ride Height: 20mm
Anti-Roll: 39000F/144000R
Rebound: 9600F/9600R
Bound: 7500F/7500R
Brake Bias: 59/41
Gearing:
1st: 20.5
2nd: 16.1
3rd: 12.4
4th: 10.3
5th: 9.2
6th: 8.1
7th: 7.4

Well I tried this on the MF-1 for my career mode practice (apart from upping the gear ratios naturally), and for the most part I do like it, especially the soft suspension settings that allow me much more wiggle room going through the Variente chicane. However for some reason the rear end gets pretty loose on me at the very next left, Rivazza I guess. Any ideas. I've tried reducing rear camber to 0, setting toe back to 0.020 and balancing out the wing front and back but nothing is really helping me keeping the back end from sliding uncomfortably. All the other corners I seem to be just fine on. Any ideas?

Edit--------
I reduced the rear AR down to 140000 and this tweak seems to have helped out quite a bit. Best practice time in the MF1 is now a 1'20.6", which I'm pretty happy with. Interestingly while I was practicing, once again actually in career mode, a Ferrari ahead of me blew its engine :cool: Don't recall that ever happening prior to the update.

Well I tried this on the MF-1 for my career mode practice (apart from upping the gear ratios naturally), and for the most part I do like it, especially the soft suspension settings that allow me much more wiggle room going through the Variente chicane. However for some reason the rear end gets pretty loose on me at the very next left, Rivazza I guess. Any ideas. I've tried reducing rear camber to 0, setting toe back to 0.020 and balancing out the wing front and back but nothing is really helping me keeping the back end from sliding uncomfortably. All the other corners I seem to be just fine on. Any ideas?

Edit--------
I reduced the rear AR down to 140000 and this tweak seems to have helped out quite a bit. Best practice time in the MF1 is now a 1'20.6", which I'm pretty happy with. Interestingly while I was practicing, once again actually in career mode, a Ferrari ahead of me blew its engine :cool: Don't recall that ever happening prior to the update.

Interesting "fix" you found for your setup. I admit I was having the same trouble, and on my 1'16 run, I definitely lost about 2 tenths on that corner. Will apply your AR change later and see what I can do, as well as apply it to my MF-1 since we're on the same career path. By any chance did you continue through the process and complete the race with that setup? If so, where did you place?

I also do not recall seeing an engine go during practice.. very few times it has happened during qualifying and more often during a race, but never practice. Seems like a nice addition to me, as long as it's not my engine going 'kablammo.' lol

Z
Interesting "fix" you found for your setup. I admit I was having the same trouble, and on my 1'16 run, I definitely lost about 2 tenths on that corner. Will apply your AR change later and see what I can do, as well as apply it to my MF-1 since we're on the same career path. By any chance did you continue through the process and complete the race with that setup? If so, where did you place?

Nope. Still need more practice on this course. I'm trying to keep this career run as "real" as possible, meaning no re-do's after a race is started. Well as real as simulation game racing gets ;) Anyway I did run a practice race in GP Weekend mode with those settings and on hard difficulty. I qualy'd 14th, got a good start and settled into 13th for the first lap. Then moved around RSC on the 3rd lap after the start/finish chicane only to have him sideswipe me going into T1. Bastard! Managed to hold onto, and settle into, 13th until about lap 14 of 19, but then made a silly mistake on T1 and spun off the track. From there the race kinda fell apart for me and I'd ended up DNF'ing on lap 18. Damn oil slick on the blind part of a corner's back side that was effectively impossible to avoid. :grumpy: How in the hell do the CPU drivers all either miss these things or run right over them w/o incident?

Yeah that one tweak did work pretty well for that 3rd to last corner (it'll be interesting to hear how it works for you), but I still have problems at times with T1 actually. If I break hard and attempt to turn at the sametime I occasionally get that back end rotation, but if I break earlier I seem to take the corner way too slow (see RSC pass). Not certain what to do about that at the moment.

I also do not recall seeing an engine go during practice.. very few times it has happened during qualifying and more often during a race, but never practice. Seems like a nice addition to me, as long as it's not my engine going 'kablammo.' lol

Yeah I was pretty shocked to see it. Cool though. And as I race with the auto tranny I'm thinking I'll never see a blown engine. Might be kinda fun to go manual and see if the engine can be forced to blow though...

The engine can blow with a auto aswell. I know that from bad past experiences in the PS2 version!
I'll hopefully get a chance to try some of your setups later today, dam COD4 is sooo addictive!

Nope. Still need more practice on this course. I'm trying to keep this career run as "real" as possible, meaning no re-do's after a race is started. Well as real as simulation game racing gets ;) Anyway I did run a practice race in GP Weekend mode with those settings and on hard difficulty. I qualy'd 14th, got a good start and settled into 13th for the first lap. Then moved around RSC on the 3rd lap after the start/finish chicane only to have him sideswipe me going into T1. Bastard! Managed to hold onto, and settle into, 13th until about lap 14 of 19, but then made a silly mistake on T1 and spun off the track. From there the race kinda fell apart for me and I'd ended up DNF'ing on lap 18. Damn oil slick on the blind part of a corner's back side that was effectively impossible to avoid. :grumpy: How in the hell do the CPU drivers all either miss these things or run right over them w/o incident?

Oh, man . . . don't get me started on the blind oil slicks. I know enough that if I see one, I can usually drive straight over it if I use about 50% throttle, but even then, I lose time whereas the AI would not. If it's a blind slick (say, exiting turn 6 or 7 at Montreal), I'm screwed. Sure, GP drivers in the real world are expected to deal with these things, but it's never a 100% success rate, so I don't think it should be so in the game. In a way, it reminds me of rally in GT4: you'd be cruising through the harder challenges in the special events arena when, oops, the AI car barely tickles the bumper of your car and you get the penalty. It's frustrating, for <expletive> sake.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I've got a setup for your MF-1 that will work out rather well. I think there's still some room for improvement with it (mostly in the area of gearing), but it was good enough to qualify 7th just ahead of Trulli (1'18.7). I used the Ferrari setup as a base, but here's what I changed:

Tire Pressure: 15/10
Anti-Roll: Maximum (Front) / 165000 (Rear)
Rebound: 9400 (Front & Rear)
Bound: 7000 (Front & Rear)
Gearing (in order); 20.4; 15.9; 12.1; 10.1; 9.2; 8.0; 7.4

Yeah that one tweak did work pretty well for that 3rd to last corner (it'll be interesting to hear how it works for you), but I still have problems at times with T1 actually. If I break hard and attempt to turn at the sametime I occasionally get that back end rotation, but if I break earlier I seem to take the corner way too slow (see RSC pass). Not certain what to do about that at the moment.

Interesting. I'm having the same issues through T1. I find that I really need to brake early and go through (at about 75-80% throttle) in 5th. If I get the entry right, it's straight back to full throttle. Of course, I'm using as much curb as possible, so full throttle entry usually results in a spin or the car hops just enough to throw me off line. Here's what I changed on the Ferrari (aside from the Anti-Roll) change you mentioned:

Bound: 7100 (Front & Rear)
Gearing: 3rd = 12.3 instead of 12.4

Those three changes have enabled me to comfortably dip into the 1'15.8 range.

Yeah I was pretty shocked to see it. Cool though. And as I race with the auto tranny I'm thinking I'll never see a blown engine. Might be kinda fun to go manual and see if the engine can be forced to blow though...

I race automatic as well and have not blown my own lump yet, through I'd think it possible if gears were set too tight for the long straight at Monza, for instance. Not sure, though..

Z
Oh, man . . . don't get me started on the blind oil slicks. I know enough that if I see one, I can usually drive straight over it if I use about 50% throttle, but even then, I lose time whereas the AI would not. If it's a blind slick (say, exiting turn 6 or 7 at Montreal), I'm screwed. Sure, GP drivers in the real world are expected to deal with these things, but it's never a 100% success rate, so I don't think it should be so in the game. In a way, it reminds me of rally in GT4: you'd be cruising through the harder challenges in the special events arena when, oops, the AI car barely tickles the bumper of your car and you get the penalty. It's frustrating, for <expletive> sake.

Agreed. The less said about the oil slick modeling the better.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I've got a setup for your MF-1 that will work out rather well. I think there's still some room for improvement with it (mostly in the area of gearing), but it was good enough to qualify 7th just ahead of Trulli (1'18.7). I used the Ferrari setup as a base, but here's what I changed:

Tire Pressure: 15/10
Anti-Roll: Maximum (Front) / 165000 (Rear)
Rebound: 9400 (Front & Rear)
Bound: 7000 (Front & Rear)
Gearing (in order); 20.4; 15.9; 12.1; 10.1; 9.2; 8.0; 7.4

Wow Z, you do seem to have a talent for setups 👍 I pretty well know what each part does on its own, but I haven't quite grasped how to get them all to work together like a symphony. Any tips?

With this revised setup pretty quickly I was able to shave a half second off my previous best and ended up getting down to a 1'19.8" ish. Also I feel even more confident with this one, far less issues with the back end getting away from me. That being said I'm not certain I'll be seeing the 1'18" 's with it though, just not consistent enough around the entire track. You must be pretty darn consistent though, that 1'18.7" seems like a pretty smokin' time.

So did you race the MF1 or just practice qualy with it? Also you running 100% races or less? Right now I've settled on 30% for this career run.

Interesting. I'm having the same issues through T1. I find that I really need to brake early and go through (at about 75-80% throttle) in 5th. If I get the entry right, it's straight back to full throttle. Of course, I'm using as much curb as possible, so full throttle entry usually results in a spin or the car hops just enough to throw me off line. Here's what I changed on the Ferrari (aside from the Anti-Roll) change you mentioned:

Thanks to your description there I think I've found a way to shave about 3 tenths off my previous fast technique through here. Pretty cool. But you are right, I'm always at the razor's edge trying to pull it off. I'll probably still use the slower/safer technique in the race.

Bound: 7100 (Front & Rear)
Gearing: 3rd = 12.3 instead of 12.4

Those three changes have enabled me to comfortably dip into the 1'15.8 range.

Ran just a few laps with the Ferrari, sick how much more natural speed it has compared to the Midland, and put down a 1'17.6" pretty quick. But boy was that a fraught filled fast lap. At various points I lost the rear at T1, at the 1st fast left hander after the hairpin, then at the bottom of that same hill which is a long fast double right and of course the previously discussed left hander after the chicane. Also I found I had less margin of error through the chicane compared to the MF1 setup. But that's racing right, no two drivers are exactly the same. So I'd definitely need to tweak further before I'd feel comfortable racing with this one. Once again though, no doubt it is a fast setup.

Thanks for sharing man.

@GT4 - right. CoD4 is highly so. I think F1:CE could have approached that level if they just would have made the online mode more social. Their stupid virtual keyboard chat thingy is beyond cumbersome. Voice chat should have been a mandatory feature. Oh well :indiff:

Wow Z, you do seem to have a talent for setups 👍 I pretty well know what each part does on its own, but I haven't quite grasped how to get them all to work together like a symphony. Any tips?

It's funny: I've only just begun to produce decent setups. I've had the game for nearly 5 months, now, but I spend most of my time in online races. GT4 genius' advice to check out his setup for Melbourne coupled with Shaggy Alonso's advice re: the bettering of his time by running absulutely zero downforce at Monza really 'sparked' everything. I was amazed at how easily the car drove under these conditions at both circuits and began to tweak further. While altering these setups to suit my driving style, I began to understand how things interacted with each other a little, though not quite enough to explain it. At this point, the only thing I can do is share the information I've got on my end through trial and error. Believe me, there's been a lot of error.

With this revised setup pretty quickly I was able to shave a half second off my previous best and ended up getting down to a 1'19.8" ish. Also I feel even more confident with this one, far less issues with the back end getting away from me. That being said I'm not certain I'll be seeing the 1'18" 's with it though, just not consistent enough around the entire track. You must be pretty darn consistent though, that 1'18.7" seems like a pretty smokin' time.

It's really all about tackling the two chicanes, which, for me, is exactly where I don't feel too comfortable with the car just yet. I love it through all of T1 and through to the Piratella (fast left; turn 7), but after that, it's on a knife-edge. I'll tweak further.

Any consistency I've got at this track (which, btw, is one of my least favorite) has simply come through online racing, though I thank you for the compliment.

So did you race the MF1 or just practice qualy with it? Also you running 100% races or less? Right now I've settled on 30% for this career run.

I 'built' the setup during a Saturday Practice session and took it through a Qualifying run, but didn't race it yet as I think I can still improve the setup and time. For my hard career, I'm running 50% race distance. I was running much less when I was on medium difficulty since it was only intended to gauge how tough the competition was, etc.

Thanks to your description there I think I've found a way to shave about 3 tenths off my previous fast technique through here. Pretty cool. But you are right, I'm always at the razor's edge trying to pull it off. I'll probably still use the slower/safer technique in the race.

That's one reason I try to improve the setup to the max. If I can snatch pole, the AI gets scared when you brake late and most times it will create just enough of a gap for you to go about your business. As long as you remain consistent and use some blocking techniques when necessary, you're pretty much in the clear.

Ran just a few laps with the Ferrari, sick how much more natural speed it has compared to the Midland, and put down a 1'17.6" pretty quick. But boy was that a fraught filled fast lap. At various points I lost the rear at T1, at the 1st fast left hander after the hairpin, then at the bottom of that same hill which is a long fast double right and of course the previously discussed left hander after the chicane. Also I found I had less margin of error through the chicane compared to the MF1 setup. But that's racing right, no two drivers are exactly the same. So I'd definitely need to tweak further before I'd feel comfortable racing with this one. Once again though, no doubt it is a fast setup.

Thanks for sharing man.

Glad to share, and glad that it's helping.

I love the Ferrari on some circuits, but it's a very twitchy car on others. If the McLaren were to have enough outright speed, I'd probably prefer it over the Ferrari.

As stated above, those chicanes are still taking me out more often than not, at least in the MF-1. I think it might be a gearing issue, but I'll have to test further to prove that theory.

@GT4 - right. CoD4 is highly so. I think F1:CE could have approached that level if they just would have made the online mode more social. Their stupid virtual keyboard chat thingy is beyond cumbersome. Voice chat should have been a mandatory feature. Oh well :indiff:

Agreed. I just recently purchased a Bluetooth headset for chatting with others on the PS3 and really wish that it could be used with F1:CE. The text limitation and keyboard layout you mentioned are poor, to say the least. It's pretty much reduced everyone to ebonics, but that's another topic. 👎

Ok managed to start this again. Are you still with the MF1 at Imola. I'll do some laps with it now and with your setups and will see what I get. What are your best times with it?

Ok managed to start this again. Are you still with the MF1 at Imola. I'll do some laps with it now and with your setups and will see what I get. What are your best times with it?

I haven't advanced, per se. In my career, I'm still at Melbourne, but I guess I'll just chalk all this tuning up to pre-preparation. That said, Imola and the MF-1 are my current project. I'll try to stay on top of it as best I can, but GT5:P arriving today will put a little dent in my playing time for other games.

Anyway, best times at Imola with the setups I've posted here:
Ferrari: 1'15.8
MF-1: 1'18.7

I'm in the Midland at Imola in career mode. Similar to Z I've always had a hard time at this track keeping my car on the pavement or pointed the right direction.

Anyway, fast times with these setups so far are:
Midland - 1'18.7"
Ferrari - 1'17.6"

@Z. Interesting. Well there's no replacement for persistence then eh? Yeah I just need to spend more time with it then I guess. It's just after 20 laps or so of tweaking I kinda get fatigued with it and just settle for the least scary settings up to that point. But your MF1 setup has opened my eyes to the potential. I mean my fastest lap at Imola prior to that setup was a 1'19" something in a Renault. Doh! So I've been missing out on a junk load of speed by not being more diligent on the set-up phase :guilty:. Hadn't practiced all that much at this track either, so that plays a part too.

Agreed, those 2 chicanes are key. And every lap as I approach either one I feel that tightness in my stomach like peril is imminent :scared:. 'Course that's also alot of the game's appeal, just like lan GT4.

So I assume you've noticed half of the tactical battle in career mode is learning the breaking points of the CPU drivers. I've saved myself several wrecks by either breaking for a corner way early or late depending on how I think the nearby CPU cars ahead/behind will take the corner. Kinda a pain, but necessary if I want to survive. At least they are mostly consistent, looking on the bright side there ;)

No kidding on the Ferrari being skittish on certain tracks. Temperamental like a woman :lol:.

Enjoy GT5P. I'm gonna wait for the full release myself, but it ain't gonna be an easy wait that's for sure.

@Z. Interesting. Well there's no replacement for persistence then eh?

Sad, but true.

Yeah I just need to spend more time with it then I guess. It's just after 20 laps or so of tweaking I kinda get fatigued with it and just settle for the least scary settings up to that point. But your MF1 setup has opened my eyes to the potential. I mean my fastest lap at Imola prior to that setup was a 1'19" something in a Renault. Doh! So I've been missing out on a junk load of speed by not being more diligent on the set-up phase :guilty:. Hadn't practiced all that much at this track either, so that plays a part too.

Heh, like I said, I just started getting into setups myself. Was missing out on all the same things. I tried Race Car Evolution a few times. It provided a comfortable and stable car more often than not, but never fast enough. Heck, Race Car Evolution has never bothered to fit any of my cars with soft tires or alter gear ratios, two critical areas of laptime.

Agreed, those 2 chicanes are key. And every lap as I approach either one I feel that tightness in my stomach like peril is imminent :scared:. 'Course that's also alot of the game's appeal, just like lan GT4.

Indeed. It's kind of nice to know that you can't just restart if you blow it in an online race, though distracting at the same time. There's always that little voice in the back of your head saying 'ok, don't screw this up, now' while the other is saying 'shut up, I must go faster.'

So I assume you've noticed half of the tactical battle in career mode is learning the breaking points of the CPU drivers. I've saved myself several wrecks by either breaking for a corner way early or late depending on how I think the nearby CPU cars ahead/behind will take the corner. Kinda a pain, but necessary if I want to survive. At least they are mostly consistent, looking on the bright side there ;)

Pretty much. Few occasions where I've braked too early and the AI pulled a pit maneuver on me, but otherwise, they shy away from contact if they can help it. Of course, I don't mind. Gives me a chance to back off the pace and risk little error. 👍

No kidding on the Ferrari being skittish on certain tracks. Temperamental like a woman :lol:.

Couldn't have said it better . . .

Enjoy GT5P. I'm gonna wait for the full release myself, but it ain't gonna be an easy wait that's for sure.

Played JP Prologue most of yesterday.. leaps and bounds above GT:HD (the ultimate drift simulator), IMHO. Physics changed drastly, and for the better. Eiger got a nice little facelift (wider in some areas, no 'gravel trap' at the bridge) and London couldn't be a better replacement for 'George V' if it tried. Anyhow, I won't tease. Sure you already know what you're missing out on.

Back