Sharkport Question

Could anybody tell me about the sharkport? To me it looks like a length of USB 1.0 and some software/drivers. Why can't I just *procure* my own software and use a regular old peice of usb? Is there some magic to the way it works? I wanted to know because I have been using a GSV2 and it can be a real pain when it decides to re-format the card. (and I also wanted to try this program everyone is talking about...)

Alright. the x-port is two cabes, each cable has a usb-a and usb-b head on it, a small squar oval, a ps2 disc, and a pc disc. once you get your hands on the x-port you turn off your computer and ps2. You connect the two cables to the x-port and connect the first usb cable to your computer. turn on your computer and let the basic software load. afterwards it will ask for the cd that has the rest of the software. once that is done, connect your x-port to your ps2, turn it on and insert the x-port disc. you will no longer need the pc disc unless you plan on loadingthis on another computer. It is a little helpful if you have the ps2 connected to a tv. Once everything is loaded on the ps2 you can acess the x-port by using the icon where ever you placed it. the X-port interface is really simple and easy to use. Chose Memorycard on the lower lefthand side and it will upload your gamesaves to RAM on your commputer. Chose your gt3 gamesave making sure there is a check beside it, and chose back up on the lefthand side of the x-port screen. now you can choose pc-database. Find your gt3 gamesave and on the left hand side choose send. with this, you can send it to a friend, or a file. you will wan to chose file. find a file you will remember and then send it there. now access MK program. Choose read garage and then find your gt3 gamefile and choose it. choose the car you want to modify and then once everything is done go to file and chose write garage. you can write the gamesave you chose. or like i did, i changed the last number to a 1 and made a new file. Now go back into the X-port interface and chose pc database. choose import save and find the file that you have changed. go into memory card and delete the gamesave that is on the memory card. go to pc database and chose the modified file and pick restored on the left hand side. Look in the memory card section and makesure the file loaded correctly, now go and bring up the gt3 game and let the memory card file load. if everything has been done properly the car that you changed the values on with show the different values on it. If you need a refernce on how to do things, there is a guide in famines sig on how to use it.

Thank you!
But, I was not asking how to use the Sharkport, I was asking what it actually is. From what you said one might assume that it is a peripheral rather than discs and a cable.
Would someone please elaborate?

you have to have the two cables and the squarish oval peice. you cannot make your own. it requires both discs or else it wont work. enough elaberation?

Originally posted by GT-40/787b
you have to have the two cables and the squarish oval peice. you cannot make your own. it requires both discs or else it wont work. enough elaberation?

I don't know that this is etched in stone. I have seen to many people say that they did it with a straight cable, including the new member from Italy who posted in a thread the other day. U would at the least need to download the Pc software, and have the PS2 disc from either an AR2 or xport. That being said, I can't confirm that it will work with a strait cable, I can only comment on what I have read many times on the net.

Originally posted by Heydu
I don't know that this is etched in stone. I have seen to many people say that they did it with a straight cable, including the new member from Italy who posted in a thread the other day. U would at the least need to download the Pc software, and have the PS2 disc from either an AR2 or xport. That being said, I can't confirm that it will work with a strait cable, I can only comment on what I have read many times on the net.

...yes, I confirm...(is it right...?)...

also...I've downloaded Sharkport (it's free like X-Port) and it works fine...

my setup :

PC -> pl2301 usb cable -> PS2
X-Port and/or Sharkport -> Action Replay 2 (dongle and bootdisk)

I would also add that the only reason I could see for doing it this way is if U can't find an xport, for example, I hear they are pretty much non existant in Austrailia. From what I have seen, the cost of the cable needed, (a pl2301) is as much if not more than the cost of an xport.

Originally posted by Heydu
I would also add that the only reason I could see for doing it this way is if U can't find an xport, for example, I hear they are pretty much non existant in Austrailia. From what I have seen, the cost of the cable needed, (a pl2301) is as much if not more than the cost of an xport.

a pl2301 costs about 20 euro in Italy in a shop...as I seen on line it costs 30/50 % more...maybe they discovered a new business in conjunction with PS2 world...?

Thank you for all of the input!
I just wanted to do it for fun and bragging rights.
Hey what is the cable you are talking about?
If you were not so caustic when responding to posts 787b, I bet people would take your advice closer to heart.

Originally posted by georgeymoney
Thank you for all of the input!
I just wanted to do it for fun and bragging rights.
Hey what is the cable you are talking about?
If you were not so caustic when responding to posts 787b, I bet people would take your advice closer to heart.
People take my advice close to their heart, its just hard to give good advice when you try to make it sound like im inferior, if you said 'Could i download the software and use a regular peice of usb cable' i would have given you a straight answer, but you ask what it was and how it worked. you didnt elaberate on which part of it that it worked, sorry for the misunderstanding but its kinda hard to know which part of the x-port your wanting to know how it works.

Originally posted by GT-40/787b
please, call me James, and i am willing to do anything to help.

ANYTHING, you sure you want to say that.

lost my ps2 disc.....

uhh.....anyone know if i can buy a seperate one elsewhere?

almost anything, besides, you would have to buy a new cartrige anyways. i would sugest getting an AR, it has most of the current GS v2.2 stuff on there

Okay so sum up of all i read for everone including me.

Yes, you don't have to by x-port or shark port to move saved files from your ps2 to your pc. You will however need a gameshark boot disk for your ps2, (wondering if the x-boot disk works also, but dont have that so dont really care)

so with that... YES. if you have a ps2 gameshark boot disk you don't need the sharkport/xport boot disk and can use one of those...(for those that lost the disk or whatever)

Continuing, you will need either the sharkport software or xport software for the computer which can be downloaded for free. You will however need a pl2301 usb cable which costs just about as much as either the sharkport or xport, which also come with another ps2 boot disk.

So kinda end up at one of those chicken or the egg problems.

Find this immensely amusing personally.

Completely off the wall question, but as seeing i might be buying one of these things now i'm wondering...

Can i use this sharkport or xport ps2 boot disk to boot ps2 copys? My ps2 usb mod chip needs a boot disk, and just got done spending the $40 for a gameshark which all i really wanted was the boot disk. Really curious now if i could have just used this disk that will be coming with the sharkport/xport.

Back