Sick's Race Room - great racing with a classic flavour - now on Project cars 2PS4 

Important - for attention of all Racers
I have decided to run an extra Test Round (00) at Brands Hatch Indy next Monday to enable us to try out the damage and penalty settings - you will also be able to experiment with assigning buttons to look right and left and try these out in a race situation. This is our first race series on Project Cars and I would rather delay the start of championship racing by one week and get the format right for this and future series.

By using the very short Indy Track we will be able to run 5 minute qualifying sessions and complete more short races to test out different damage options.

During the extra test round several drivers will deliberately try to incur penalties and damage which we will then discuss afterwards: - I propose that those drivers be myself, @Flaco13 and @Alex ONeill

Please do not take offence from any deliberate bad driving during the extra Test Round (by those nominated drivers) - I have to learn more about this aspect of the game. I do not want to implement it if there is a high risk (as in GT6) of the innocent party being awarded the penalty or a high risk of people being disqualified from the race for no fault accidents or being unable to get back to the pits to continue the race.

Note - although switching on tyre and fuel wear may be more realistic I will not be doing this for several reasons:

There are bugs associated with using default setups with tyre wear. Some of the default setups do not have much fuel onboard so unless you add pit stops the cars can run out of fuel - their are bugs associated with using default setups with pit stops. This series is aimed at all ability levels and starting on cold tyres - based on what I have read on other threads normally results in first lap carnage. Finally - it takes many hours of testing time to check and select tracks for a series and this would be increased further if I also had to check the fuel consumption of the cars on a default fuel load - note the cars and track combinations have already been tested and selected for Monday and Wednesday series for the whole of 2017.

You are correct on the default setup glitches relating to fuel, tires and pit stops. I think it is better to run without them on for your type of series. In regards to damage being on, in our wednesday PITS series we run with damage on to force drivers to always be thinking about how they are driving. Damage makes you really think about a pass or how hard you are going to push, reward vs. risk. The down side that I see with using damage in your series is that the only way to repair your car is by pitting and with default setups you are not able to set up a pit strategy to repair your car. Not only that but if you did pit you would have your tires changed and fuel added. It would end up being a 17 - 20 second pit stop not including the drive down the pit lane. With only doing a handful of laps your race would essentially be over. On Wednesdays we run damage and also have a required pit stop but we are running 2- 45 minute races so it doesn't hurt so bad to stop once to change tires and do repairs at the same time. We can try damage on Monday and see how it works as well as try repairing in the pits to see how it goes. A little bumping and rubbing to test this on Monday should be fun. Penalties are a good thing as well. It will keep people from going 4 wheels off and gaining an advantage and make it so you won't have to police OOB incidents. Drivers are given either a 5 or 10 second penalty for cutting the track. After 4 penalties in a session drivers are DQ'ed. Other DQ's happen from driving the wrong direction on track.

Let's test these Ideas on Monday and see what options you like!

A question to you Sick:

When i reported interest in this series i knew i were going to miss race nr 2 and maybe nr 3 as well, because of a scheduled vacation abroad. Now with a delay for the extended testing i will miss race 1 and perhaps nr 2, with a risk of missing the final race as well.

So, maybe 3 races will be missed (2 favourite tracks) and i'm not sure if to withdraw from this serie and leave my space vacant for other potential participants would be the most fair thing to do? I sure wanna race but it will be with intermittent participation i'm afraid.

A question to you Sick:

When i reported interest in this series i knew i were going to miss race nr 2 and maybe nr 3 as well, because of a scheduled vacation abroad. Now with a delay for the extended testing i will miss race 1 and perhaps nr 2, with a risk of missing the final race as well.

So, maybe 3 races will be missed (2 favourite tracks) and i'm not sure if to withdraw from this serie and leave my space vacant for other potential participants would be the most fair thing to do? I sure wanna race but it will be with intermittent participation i'm afraid.

Hi Longspread - a space will be kept open for you - have a great vacation - we all need them!

You are correct on the default setup glitches relating to fuel, tires and pit stops. I think it is better to run without them on for your type of series. In regards to damage being on, in our wednesday PITS series we run with damage on to force drivers to always be thinking about how they are driving. Damage makes you really think about a pass or how hard you are going to push, reward vs. risk. The down side that I see with using damage in your series is that the only way to repair your car is by pitting and with default setups you are not able to set up a pit strategy to repair your car. Not only that but if you did pit you would have your tires changed and fuel added. It would end up being a 17 - 20 second pit stop not including the drive down the pit lane. With only doing a handful of laps your race would essentially be over. On Wednesdays we run damage and also have a required pit stop but we are running 2- 45 minute races so it doesn't hurt so bad to stop once to change tires and do repairs at the same time. We can try damage on Monday and see how it works as well as try repairing in the pits to see how it goes. A little bumping and rubbing to test this on Monday should be fun. Penalties are a good thing as well. It will keep people from going 4 wheels off and gaining an advantage and make it so you won't have to police OOB incidents. Drivers are given either a 5 or 10 second penalty for cutting the track. After 4 penalties in a session drivers are DQ'ed. Other DQ's happen from driving the wrong direction on track.

Let's test these Ideas on Monday and see what options you like!

Lots of great information there Alex - thanks very much for the info. Which type of damage do you use?

I know some of you guys participated in leagues on pcars. Gt cars?Have any of you excperienced getting a undeserved penalty in the races? The ones i can recall of own exp.. were for false starts and the 5-10 sec corner cut but never any during the races, but it was in the Fa cars so the racing were not that close.

Anyway, exciting to see the outcome on monday. My money goes to the car in the middle in a 3 car carnage. The one who gets hit from behind and in his turn, pushes the car in front off track. Drive through. :)

False starts result in a drive through penalty on a lap race and DQ on a time race. The only undeserved corner cut penalties would be if there was contact between drivers and you were pushed OOB (Out Of Bounds) resulting in a penalty. the penalty system works pretty well except for those incidents that I described. It also makes it much easier on the series operator in that he or she wouldn't need to review OOB complaints. We used to run without penalties on Wednesday and would review any Incident Reports regarding contact and OOB but changed to run with penalties to reduce the time it would take to review races. Pcars replays are not as good as GT6 was and they can glitch if you fast forward for to long making you have to start the replay over. You also cannot skip ahead in the replay like you could in GT6.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Alex for the info:tup:.
Myself did 2 seasons in a formula car league on pcars but as i said above i can't recall anyone got a penalty for pushing anyone OOB, my memory could be failing though as it usually does. Or could there be differences depending what cars there is, which seems very odd.

Ooh, it feels good not to be sick today! Wife and I got hammered a few days ago with bad flu...UCK.

"The down side that I see with using damage in your series is that the only way to repair your car is by pitting and with default setups you are not able to set up a pit strategy to repair your car. Not only that but if you did pit you would have your tires changed and fuel added. It would end up being a 17 - 20 second pit stop not including the drive down the pit lane. With only doing a handful of laps your race would essentially be over. "

Hmmm...Alex, I set up a pit strategy for my DBR a couple weeks ago by setting up a private room race, then in the practice session in pit garage, went into pit strategy. I then zeroed out fuel slider, set tire change to 'no', then went into damage repair and turned everything to 'yes'...I saved strategy under this cars name.
I figured we won't need to fuel and won't need tire changes during these races in league, but at the time thought we would have damage on. This would allow for pitting to do repairs only. I have used it in practice sessions with the car on Nordschleife and it worked fine to repair my shunt damage incurred during a lap, instead of zapping into garage and having to have new tires I did not want...And of course in the league races we can't zap to the garage without retiring anyway.
Please check me out on this, as maybe I am missing something or misunderstanding what you were saying...I certainly am no expert :banghead:!!!
Anyway, I agree with you that running with damage does make everyone take more care on track (except, of course our good AI friends)...As does penalties.
Thanks 4 listening....

On the Club Thread in the past we have often posted pictures of car shows or races visited so I'll kick off with a "Wobblers Trial" which I visited before Christmas held in the grounds of the world famous Canada Heights moto cross venue.

Slide 1 Title.jpg
Slide 2 Classics.jpg

This Saturday I will be attending the "London Classic Car Show" and it's sister event "Historic Motorsport International" - fellow GT Planet member Mook and I will be taking our cameras and hopefully snapping some great shots to share with you!

Just a quick reminder - the World Superbike season starts again this weekend - it's already looking like an exciting opening round with Melandri and Davies on Ducatis splitting the Kawasakis of Rea and Sykes in pre-season testing - catch it if you can!

Title picture above - Matra 3.0 V12 - undoubtedly the best sounding Formula One engine of all time!

Second picture down - Lotus Type 47 (the racing version of the Europa), Factory lightweight E Type Jaguar racer, ex-Emanuelle Piro BTCC Audi.

Below - 1970's Formula One cars from Shadow, McLaren and Matra.

Below - Group B survivors - RS200 and MG Metro 6R4 - rare cars, but I saw three examples of each.

Bottom - a sea of Ferrari's, E Type Jaguars, AC Cobras and Ford GT40's!

Picture immediately below - enthusiastic driver puts his 1913 Chalmers 6 cylinder 7.6 litre through its paces in the performace arena. Chalmers was one of the USA's most desirable sports car brands, but was bought by Chrysler and the name disappeared in 1924.

23 Performance Chalmers & Ferrari.jpg

Above driver of the V6 Ferrari Dino 2.5 litre F1 car was very skilled and executed a perfect spin turn just in front of my camera - car sounded glorious!

Below some of the cars were for sale - the silver blue AC Cobra a snip at £1.15m

22 AC Cobra & Barchetta.jpg

Above - one off AC chassied, Bristol 2 litre straight six powered Barchetta was raced in the 1950's in Argentina - a bargain at £325,000.

Below - Aston Martin DBR4 - an unsuccessful Formula One car from the 1950's 2.5 litre period. It's engine was enlarged to 3.0 litres and fitted to the very successful DBR1/300 sports car.

8 AM DBR4 F1.jpg

Above - magnificent from every angle!

Below cockpit of the DBR4.

8 AM DBR4 F1 & D Type.jpg

Above short nose Jaguar D Type - together with the long nose model - the D Type was the most successful Le Mans racer of the 1950's - should definitely be added to Project Cars 2 as a competitor to the Aston.

Below - for me probably the highlight of the show - the 1955 Mercedes Benz 300 SLR. 3 litre Straight 8 cylinder engine with fuel injection and desmodromic valves derived from the 2.5 litre F1 engine. In its day probably the most advanced sports car on the planet - the tragic accident at Le Mans caused Mercedes to withdraw from world championship racing. According to Sir Stirling Moss a faster car than the Aston Martin DBR1, but more difficult to drive.

Below note the mesh cover for the engine air inlet and cloth covered seats. Exhausts exit the body on the right side in front of the passenger door. Moss used a 300 SLR to win the Mille Miglia in record time.

9 300SLR 1.jpg

Above the 300 SLR used inboard drum brakes, while by then Jaguar was experimenting with discs - the 300 SLR uses a large rear air brake - most of the rear panel folds back - very effective at 180mph!

Below - a spartan and business like cockpit. Surely this car is a no-brainer to add to Project Cars 2 as a competitor to the Aston?

10 300SLR 2.jpg

To be continued...

Wow...All great shots, Sick...envious of you Brits cause if I wanted to go to shows like that, I would have a veeeeery long ride indeed getting there!
Just awesome motor cars....

Yes - this was an amazing show - very glad that I went this year. I tried to be fully prepared by taking two fully charged cameras and spare memory cards, but unfortunately one of the cameras was dead and the other died after just 188 shots! Fortunately my friend Mook also took a camera and a camera phone - he is more interested in the road cars than me and I am sure he got some good pictures.

I hope you enjoy these ones:

Below the Lotus 49 looked just like the one in Project Cars and was the first one to greet me as I entered the racing car exhibition (Historic Motorsport International).

1 Lotus 49.jpg

In the main exhibition (the London Classic Car Show) there was a stand of concept cars from Vauxhall, Peugeot and Jaguar.

28 Concept Cars 1.jpg

29 Concept Cars 2.jpg

More later!

Yes - this was an amazing show - very glad that I went this year. I tried to be fully prepared by taking two fully charged cameras and spare memory cards, but unfortunately one of the cameras was dead and the other died after just 188 shots! Fortunately my friend Mook also took a camera and a camera phone - he is more interested in the road cars than me and I am sure he got some good pictures.

I hope you enjoy these ones:

Below the Lotus 49 looked just like the one in Project Cars and was the first one to greet me as I entered the racing car exhibition (Historic Motorsport International).

View attachment 630552

In the main exhibition (the London Classic Car Show) there was a stand of concept cars from Vauxhall, Peugeot and Jaguar.

View attachment 630553
View attachment 630554

More later!

This last one (orange one) reminds me strongly of a 70s Corvette......??

By the by...Was is on tap today!??? Are we running Nurburing combo?
I lost my wheel last Tuesday, and had to order replacement...Came this weekend so I have to frantically set it up today to be ready for whatever we are doing???

Sick and guys,
I am still having tech dificulties setting up my new wheel...Thrustmaster website is still down. Wont make it on today in time to race with you...if there is a race??
Should be all fixed certainly for next mondays session...
Have fun!!

Which one(s) did you buy then Sick? Or did you forget to take your wallet?

I did take the wallet, but was only able to stretch to a programme!

I lost my wheel last Tuesday, and had to order replacement...Came this weekend

Sorry to hear that Skip - hopefully it is under warranty - see you next Monday.

PS - I think the orange Vauxhall pre-dates the 1970's Corvette. The rear looks very similar to the Bill Thomas Cheetah - another General Motors supported project from the 1960's.

A few more shots from Saturday:

Below - easy to see why it was nicknamed the "Birdcage" Maserati!

11 Maserati T61.jpg

Below - ex Nigel Mansell F1Lotus

12 Lotus F1 Mansell.jpg

Below Ferguson Formula four wheel drive F1 car scored a non-championship victory in the wet driven by Stirling Moss.

12 FF F1.jpg

Below original Jaguar C Type Le Mans race car.

25 Jag C Type.jpg

Below Cosworth DFV powered Lola T282 is owned by Simon Hadfield. He is a very accomplished historic racer and I watched him totally dominate a race at Brands Hatch in this car last year.

6 Lola T282 & F5000.jpg

Above - ex Tom Pryce Formula 5000 Lola. I would love to see a Formula 5000 car or two added to Project Cars 2. For a period during the 60's and 70's, domestic Formula One series (i.e. non-world championship) ran to F5000 rules in the UK, USA, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa and each year the Race of Champions at Brands Hatch featured a battle between the 5 litre Chevrolet powered F5000 cars and the 3 litre (mostly) Ford Cosworth DFV powered F1 cars - in 1973 Peter Gethin caused an upset by beating a stellar field of F1 drivers and cars in his Chevron Chevrolet B24 F5000 car.

More later...

Last edited:
I recently suggested adding some cars to the Project Cars list - check out the suggestions thread to add the cars that you want to see. To compete with the Aston Martin DBR1 I suggested the Mercedes Benz 300SLR, Jaguar D Type (Long Nose) and Ferrari 250 TR. Here's the 250 TR which I saw at the show.

Slide 1 Ferrari 250 TR.jpg
Slide 4 Jag D Type.jpg

Above I saw plenty of short nose D Types, but none of the more elegant and aerodynamic long nose variety like the one above.

A D Type would be great, Ferrari not to sure if they can get licence.

How much shorter is the other D Type?

A D Type would be great, Ferrari not to sure if they can get licence.

How much shorter is the other D Type?

Ferrari is confirmed for Project Cars 2 although we don't yet know which models - hopefully it won't just be modern and road Ferrari's. For my suggestions I tried to pick competitors for the Aston Martin DBR1 which would look clearly different on track from all angles and which would produce a range of different sounds via different engine configurations, hence why I included the Mercedes Benz 300 SLR, Ferrari 250 TR and Jaguar D Type (Long Nose) and left out the Maserati 300S and Lancia D24. 87 Jaguar D Types were made which is an incredible number, in addition the final batch of unsold (short nose) D types were converted into road cars and sold as the Jaguar XKSS - one was owned by the king of cool Steve McQueen. There isn't much difference in the length John - the long nose looks slightly sleeker - both types won at Le Mans and have an incredible racing history and would be worthy additions to any racing game.

Steve McQueen Jag XKSS.jpg

Above Steve with his Jag XKSS and first wife in 1957.

I agree with John, the D type would be great!! Jaguar is not well represented in Pcars ....

I have read that Jaguar has been added to Project Cars 2 along with Ferrari and Porsche - I don't know what cars they will pick, but a D Type is a possibility.

26 AM Zagato.jpg

Above 1961 Aston Martin Zagato - I spotted this beautiful car at the show and suggested it because along with the C1 Corvette and Ferrari 250 GT it raced against the DBR1 at le Mans in period, but in a different class. 19 were made (plus an extra 4 sanction cars later) - they are amongst the most valuable of Aston Martins.

Check out the suggestions thread for Project Cars 2 and suggest any cars or tracks you want - maybe they will be included in the DLC (or in Project Cars 3!).

Some Touring Car treats from the show - this would be a nice group in the game. The big Rover V8 saloons battled long and hard with the V6 Capri's and gave us a great sound track in the early eighties. The Triumph Dolomite Sprint with it's single cam 16 valve design was innovative and tempting adverts of it filled the sunday supplements - a wood dash and a 127bhp engine was tempting back then!

17 Rover SD1 Tiff.jpg
16 Capri MK3 Jochen Mass.jpg
15 Dolomite Sprint.jpg

I really want to be a part of that and everything else but it's 4:30 in the afternoon for me. It's hard to get that availability from work because it limits me to only shifts between 10am-3pm. And a shift has to be 4 hours so it's either 10-2, 10-3, or 11-3. I can try to make those my off days but I can't make any promises.

I really want to be a part of that and everything else but it's 4:30 in the afternoon for me. It's hard to get that availability from work because it limits me to only shifts between 10am-3pm. And a shift has to be 4 hours so it's either 10-2, 10-3, or 11-3. I can try to make those my off days but I can't make any promises.

No problem - attend whenever you are free. If the series become over-subscribed we will need to give preference to regular attenders, but at the moment we have some spaces open.

Back