Sick's Race Room - CLOSED - Thank you to all who participated

Which Unicorn Cars do you have?

• Total voters
Hi Guys - we have now tried one race with the Toyota 2000 GT at N300 and one at N200 - please indicate in the thread which you would prefer to race for the rest of the series - N300 or N200.

Same please, is it possible to lock rear axle, when engine braking? This happened a couple of times last night.:boggled:
John, you should not need to use engine braking in a car with disc brakes, which the Toyota has. Shifting down should be about being in the correct gear for the next corner, not about slowing down the car. If you need a source with more authority, here is racing coach Ross Bentley:

"What is the real reason for downshifting? Many drivers think it’s to use the engine to help slow the car down. Wrong again! The engine is meant to increase your speed, not decrease it. In fact, by using the engine to slow the car you can actually hinder accurate brake modulation and balance. Race drivers, and good street drivers, downshift during the approach to a corner simply to be in the proper gear at the optimum engine rpm range and to allow maximum acceleration out of the corner."
Ultimate Speed Secrets (p. 18). Motorbooks International. Kindle Edition.​

Last edited:
Shifting down should be about being in the correct gear for the next corner, not about slowing down the car. If you need a source with more authority, here is racing coach Ross Bentley:

Thanks Half, will give that a try, when I was approaching spoon curve, back end came round and spun.
Engine braking works well in my bike games mind, didn't know this car had disc brakes.

T..when I was approaching spoon curve, back end came round and spun.
I suspect that is more about weight transfer than engine braking. With the softer suspension on these older cars, when you come off the throttle and brake, all the weight shifts to the front of the car, meaning less traction for the rear tyres. If you then introduce steering angle, the rear may come around on you. It is not the axle locking up, just the light rear wanting to carry on in the direction it was going (see Newton).

The solution is to apply a little bit (like 10%) of throttle, to push some weight back to the rear. It takes some getting used to, but works well. If you saved last nights game, do a replay from the car of say Simba, put on the Race Info you can see brakes and accelerator inputs, then see what he does into and through corners like Spoon or First Turn.

Which is nearest to the real life race specs?

@John Wells switch the ABS on, it's not defeat, you'll be able to slow down much easier without any need for engine braking. In PC2 I can usually stop the cars that don't have ABS (I use it if the real car has it), but in GTS, generally, I have little chance of preventing lockups. There's such a fine line between the wheels rotating and them not! There are a few exceptions, lighter cars mainly. I try the weak setting sometimes but usually end up going with the default setting that most other people use. Zero ABS takes a very long time to master. Default (or maybe weak) ABS will be more enjoyable I'm sure. It's not the Zero Cup, remember those? :)

Also as a afterthought - you might need to move the brake balance forward a little.

Last edited:
Results from Monza:

Race 1:
Race 1.jpg

Race 2:
Race 2.jpg

Leaderboard:
Wed Leaderboard.jpg

Hi guys - unfortunately I have got Covid 19 and I'm not feeling well enough to race today - perhaps someone else can host tonight - the round is at Willow Springs (Big Willow).

Next week we will do Autopolis - I will let you know if I am fit enough next week - thanks guys and I hope you have a good race tonight!

Hi guys - unfortunately I have got Covid 19 and I'm not feeling well enough to race today - perhaps someone else can host tonight - the round is at Willow Springs (Big Willow).

Next week we will do Autopolis - I will let you know if I am fit enough next week - thanks guys and I hope you have a good race tonight!
It's very sad to hear that you have Covid-19. Get well soon!

Let's hope for some time off work with mild symptoms while being isolated in a room with your PS4. ;)

Yes - I am isolating in the PS4 room - it's warm with a comfortable sofa and a big TV, but I haven't felt like gaming - just Netflix and sleeping and endless phone calls from NHS track and trace!

Apparently there is a free trial on F1 2020 at the moment -probably too fast a game for me though.

Thanks to all for your kind thoughts. Mrs Cylinder also has the Covid - I'm just hoping that we can both get through this ok!

Mrs Cylinder also has the Covid - I'm just hoping that we can both get through this ok!
It is a very contagious blighter, that seems to be its trick. Although it can be a nasty ailment the majority of people do get over it. Here's hoping you're both amongst those. Keep on fighting the good fight and keep us updated on the situation - if you feel like it of course.

With @Sick Cylinder still recovering, unless he intervenes between now and tomorrow (I've sent him a note) I'll run a race this week at Brands Hatch GP for the Toyota 2000 GT Championship. Same format as the last couple of weeks:
  • Practice room opens around 8pm UK time
  • Start at 8:35pm with an 8 minute qualifying session
  • Then two 15 minute races
It remains N300 on BOP.

Last edited:
With @Sick Cylinder still recovering, unless he intervenes between now and tomorrow (I've sent him a note) I'll run a race this week at Brands Hatch GP for the Toyota 2000 GT Championship. Same format as the last couple of weeks:
  • Practice room opens around 8pm UK time
  • Start at 8:35pm with an 8 minute qualifying session
  • Then two 15 minute races
It remains N300 on BOP.

Thanks Half - I am mostly better now - just a bit tired - so should be racing again next week. Thanks very much for hosting and thanks to you all for keeping things going!

Back