SimBin Studios to Hold First Women-Only Esports Competition

“It’s a shame we need women-only teams, leagues and competitions in esports,” she told Eurogamer. “But until the sector fully matures, becomes more gender balanced and takes steps to eradicate online bullying and misogyny, they represent a great way to get more women involved by building communities, confidence and skills.”

I had no idea that females were bullied in the gaming community (I don't play on-line though). Any game night, or gaming function I've ever been apart of always welcomed females to participate. We broke our backs to get females to participate more - it's nice not to be smothered in a room full of testosterone on a Friday/Saturday night :P

All you gotta do is sit in a Cod or Rocket League lobby for 2 minutes to see the kind of disgust and trolling people do because they are too scared to do it in-person/real life. Like violence in GTA5 is a scapegoat for real violence, so it trolling online. Unfortunately, I don't see this ever being a 'thing' unless they prevent the public from posting any content before, during or after the races. Whatever the amount of guys get bullied, its 10x worse for women.

Jerome

I remember in a Shaun Andjen video he talks about a study which showed that women tend to play chess better when they think they are playing chess against another woman, even if they're actually playing against a man. It's a sad fact, but our society conditions us to view ourselves and others in absurd and arbitrary ways without us ever realising it.

Dunno why it's needed but okay. Could just have a regular series but seems that they need the extra attention for their vaporware

Women aren't prominent in sim racing because it's just not much interest in general from not only women but everyone really. Can't just make a women only league and then expect them to become present right away to watch a segregated series

IMO it will never be balanced. Very few women are interested in car technology, in motorsport and in hardcore motorsport competitions. Access to online races is free to everyone, nothing is against their participation.

According to data from Quantic Foundry, only about 6% of racing game fans are female. Toxicity in online gaming is a problem that turns me off from multiplayer gaming myself, but I don't think it's to blame for gender imbalance in eMotorsports, because there's no gender balance in playing racing games at all. And our genre is predominantly enjoyed offline as @Scaff found in his recent YT video, unlike other eSports genres like MOBAs.

QF_gender_genres.jpg

The reason women aren't into "sim racing", and most realistic simulation games in general, is because they're smart enough to realize doing something imaginary is stupid when you can just do the real thing if you want to do it that badly. I can guarantee 99% of women who want to race and have the means race in real life. The rest have more productive ways to spend their time.

The reason women aren't into "sim racing", and most realistic simulation games in general, is because they're smart enough to realize doing something imaginary is stupid when you can just do the real thing if you want to do it that badly. I can guarantee 99% of women who want to race and have the means race in real life. The rest have more productive ways to spend their time.

This, so this. Have you been talking with my wife? :lol:

Jerome

Hk0xa4h.gif

Are you implying the hobby of sim racing is stupid? A bit unfair for those who want to race from the comfort of their homes and without the ever present danger of death looming over them.

I can agree with the unproductive part, at least somewhat, although that can be argued.

I can also agree with a female only competition as player numbers are not in their favor and, even though it is to a lesser degree because it's virtual racing, they have certain natural disadvantages, in general, that would make the competition not very balanced if mixed.

Couldn't agree more. The older I get the more difficult it is to enjoy not doing something 'productive', although I'm not sure what that really says about me. I can't sit very long at GT or any game before I feel silly and think there really is something better I should be doing. At some point the games became a distraction, I just had too much to get done every day. Maybe women arrive at that mentality far earlier in life than men do. I don't think this was necessarily the case until the last couple generations of males, at least here in the USA.

I have a theory as to why, but that's a rabbit hole.

According to data from Quantic Foundry, only about 6% of racing game fans are female. Toxicity in online gaming is a problem that turns me off from multiplayer gaming myself, but I don't think it's to blame for gender imbalance in eMotorsports, because there's no gender balance in playing racing games at all. And our genre is predominantly enjoyed offline as @Scaff found in his recent YT video, unlike other eSports genres like MOBAs.

View attachment 671508

That graph is so true to my personal life. My wife is by no means a "gamer", but I do notice some of her tendencies towards games. I bought Sims 3 for her, and in 3-4 weeks time she logged 56 hours on that game. She enjoyed watching me play Heavy Rain, we play Pong on PS1 every now n' then and enjoys GTA games - but will follow traffic laws and such :lol:. Out of all the E3 2017 games that I showed her, she only got overtly excited about Detroit: Become Human (although that crazy awesome GOW trailer captured her as well).

Last edited:
I let my girlfriend play GT once and after 2 min she had it enough also ended up with broken controller rage quit

Like what? Shopping at the mall? :rolleyes:

I doubt you seriously believe this because your signature says otherwise.

Are you implying the hobby of sim racing is stupid? A bit unfair for those who want to race from the comfort of their homes and without the ever present danger of death looming over them
Racing games are also vastly inexpensive compared to the real thing (most of all if you play on console with a gamepad) and infinitely more accessible. Not to mention that not all of us are in this hobby for the express purpose of pretending to be a real racecar driver -- for me personally, sim racing is a hobby unto itself.

Furthermore, gaming is a hobby like any other. It's no less productive just because it's virtual and therefore intangible. I'm as pleased with my gaming skills as I am to be a musician. I don't get anything physically "productive" out of playing piano; it's just personally fulfilling.

My wife actually once told me she's glad I play racing sims because it shows in my driving and makes her feel safer. She considers it a practical skill.

That graph is so true to my personal life. My wife is by no means a "gamer", but I do notice some of her tendencies towards games. I bought Sims 3 for her, and in 3-4 weeks time she logged 56 hours on that game. She enjoyed watching me play Heavy Rain, we play Pong on PS1 every now n' then and enjoys GTA games - but will follow traffic laws and such :lol:. Out of all the E3 2017 games that I showed her, she only got overtly excited about was Detroit: Become Human (although that crazy awesome GOW trailer captured her as well).
Almost all my wife had played before she met me were MMORPGs. I introduced her to console gaming with Kirby, Mario, and Zelda games, and she told me she had no idea console gaming could be inclusive, cooperative, or social like those. She had dated or hung out with other gamers who absorbed themselves in a typical multiplayer shooter or similar, only offering her a chance to play to laugh as she struggled with it.

She now enjoys 2D platformers and gets along with some 3D games, but the only racing game she'll play is Mario Kart 8 at 50cc speed. She's good enough at it to beat any of my friends in a four-player session -- even me with a smidgen of sandbagging :P -- but faster-paced racing is too much for her coordination and/or gives her motion sickness.

Racism and homophobia are enormous in on line rooms for major top selling games, that I noticed billions of times.
Bullying women on sim racing games making the poor girls run away towards other safer activities sounds absolutely new to me, absurd, exaggerated and hard to believe basically because racers are a very small group amongst the huge gaming planet, most of us are passionate race fans that love the sport and it's etiquette that includes respecting all competitors and most of all with any 60 dollars any girl can buy a headset that includes a mute switch for those very few big mouths out there.

What rooms or games you guys play that berate girls, that are racing games at least. Most of the time it's just flirting and that's it. Plus most of the sim dads out there run girls and boys away from the genre anyways...

even though it is to a lesser degree because it's virtual racing, they have certain natural disadvantages, in general, that would make the competition not very balanced if mixed.
I'm pretty sure every girl out there is just as capable of sitting in a chair, looking at a screen and turning a wheel as every boy out there. :)

As for the real thing: Isn't there a reason that motorsports is one of the few sports that isn't gender divided?
Soccer, yes. Tennis, sure. Because in those sports natural physical strength, speed and endurance matters to such an extent that the sports need gender separation to be balanced and fair.

Yeah misogyny and online trolls are the primary reasons stopping my sisters from wanting to sim race

They should man up ( :P )and quit being such sissies, I don't know why everyone thinks bullying in the Internet is exclusive to women. I have encountered online bullying on my own and it might be mind blowing for some, but those mean words and in-game actions could neither hurt me physically nor mentally. If a place sucks, find another one, don't waste time being butt hurt and offended like a kindergarten kid.

I remember back in the 90's when online gaming started people had much MUCH thicker skin than today. In all areas. What happened? Did people degenerate that much in the past 15 years?

It's interesting that it only took until the 14th reply before someone suggested women can't drive. I thought we were better than that.

And while we've had lots of males suggesting that abuse towards women isn't a thing, or it's only harmless flirting (or "sexual harassment" as it's known; any guys been flirted with online recently?), we've not had any female responses yet.

I find it particularly interesting as only last week we had a troll here on GTPlanet who had one specific target for his anger until he found a woman on the site, who he then relentlessly messaged about how she couldn't drive and what sex acts he wanted her to perform for him...

I'm going to tag a few of our female racers and gamers so they are made aware of the topic and can comment if they wish. And then remove the tags, so that they don't get any unwanted attention here from idiots.

It's quite telling that I only needed to tag five people, and even a GTP database search reveals very few members who are openly female.

I'm pretty sure every girl out there is just as capable of sitting in a chair, looking at a screen and turning a wheel as every boy out there. :)

As for the real thing: Isn't there a reason that motorsports is one of the few sports that isn't gender divided?
Soccer, yes. Tennis, sure. Because in those sports natural physical strength, speed and endurance matters to such an extent that the sports need gender separation to be balanced and fair.

Disclaimer: we're talking in general here, as there are exceptions.

There are a few skills which are essential for racing: fast reflexes, good hand-eye coordination and spacial awareness. It's proven, scientifically, that women, on average, under-perform compared to men in these skills. Now, the gap is not large enough to make a difference in most tasks but, when it comes to competition, especially something like racing, the gap is important. Races can be won and lost by tenths of a second. An accident can be avoided or you can become a part of it because of your split-second reactions. Racing is also a very physical sport, contrary to what most tend to believe, however, since we're talking virtual racing here, this does not become as important. For these reasons, I think that racing should have gender separation as well, in the interest of fairness.

I find it particularly interesting as only last week we had a troll here on GTPlanet who had one specific target for his anger until he found a woman on the site, who he then relentlessly messaged about how she couldn't drive and what sex acts he wanted her to perform for him...

I'm going to tag a few of our female racers and gamers so they are made aware of the topic and can comment if they wish. And then remove the tags, so that they don't get any unwanted attention here from idiots.

It's quite telling that I only needed to tag five people, and even a GTP database search reveals very few members who are openly female.
Hi famine, here we're not talking about a specific gender activity including gaming or anything else but a way better known problem to everybody. There's a lot of Sickos out there. Sex offenders, child abusers, etc.etc. Gaming can't get away from this reality, as internet in general or even in the communities where we live.
Women have to stand up for themselves as they always did.
Women only racing? Probably fierce as heck! Look at Christina Nielsen and Catherine Legge at the IMSA's weather tech series.

That sounds way more dramatic then it is, one of the problems here is that said female user opened the messages and actually looked at their content, giving the user some credibility. If I know user XYZ has a problem with me I ignore him or her completely until he or she runs out of steam. I have been in a similar situation, in a forum where some user decided to harass me nonstop with crazy private messages. After the first abusive message I simply erased them on the spot. The few asinine comments in threads I ignored too until the mods deleted them. That was not hard.
This never even turned into a problem in the first place.

Not always, but oftentimes victims of online harassments seem to do everything to escalate this slight annoyance and turn it into a problem.

Back