skyline rwd?...REALLY?

• Thread starter MAKU GX
  • 12 comments
hello there, havnt been on for a while on this.
i finally set myself in argentina and installed the wheel and everything here.

i was just told that this guy drives the r34 in rear wheel drive, and i was always told it was 4wd, and never heard the contrary.
i just read in information papers about skylines, that its changable, like the subaru wrx, you can select where you want the traction to be apparently.

if anyone knows about this, how you do this, and if theres any way to do it in enthusia.

thanks. 👍

Um...Skylines have always been RWD. AWD didn't appear until the R32, if I recall correctly, and non-GTR models have remained RWD, with AWD as an option, if anything.

As for Enthusia, the only RWD Skyline is the G35, and there's no way to change the GT-Rs to RWD.

MAKU GX, you're probably thinking of torque splitters. With an AWD car, it's possible to have a variable amount of drive in the front and rear wheels. So it's not always 50% front, 50% rear. Supposedly the Gallardo behaves a lot like a RWD in some situations because of the way the torque splitter is configured.

wow thanks guys.

i didnt know this, very interesting.
i love the skylines dynamics and all, but i dont like awd cars, so imma get into the rwd ones.

my last name is gallardo, and some day hope to get a lamborguini gallardo too :P
i wish i could go 100 rwd on it.

In real life with the R32 GTR and GTS-4, since they use the same ATTESA 4WD system, you can take out a specific fuse and then only the rear wheels will be driven. Don't ask me for any more technical information than that because I just don't know. You can't do that on R33s or R34s though.
Also, with Skyline GTRs, there is no way of physically changing the amount of drive to the front or rear wheels (except for my first paragraph, but that involve screwing with fuses) . The computer-controlled AWD system lets the GTR be basically RWD under normal situations but under heavy acceleration the torque split changes to as much as 50:50 front to rear. As well, when cornering hard, the system puts power to the front wheels so that the car has more traction coming out of the corner.

Most Skylines are RWD including mine (check sig for more details).

R33 and R34 ATTESA ETS systems have a fail safe so if the fuse is removed the AWD torque splitting still works, removing the front drive shafts allow the car to be RWD but this can cause damage.

You can adjust the percentage of torque to front or rear with a aftermarket electronic torque splitter. This is the best way to make a ATESSA ETS equiped Nissan RWD.

hello everyone, and thanks for your comments.

if someone could go deeper technicly i´d apriciate it. :)

what u gotta do on a skyline to make it rwd exactly?
i´d so get one if i could make it only rwd....-.-;and had the money

like someone posted above, a majority of skylines are RWD stock, its just the GTR and GTS-4 models that are AWD, and unfortunately those are the ones everyone and their mother know about and therefore assume ALL skylines are AWD, which couldnt be further from the truth.

Talking about Skyline, have you driven them on the Tsukuba Wet track? I was surprised how easy (and fun) the Skyline is to drive in the wet. I guess the Skyline is famous for it's advanced electronics and good handling in any conditions, and in the game they really shine on the wet Tsukuba track.

MAKU GX
hello everyone, and thanks for your comments.

if someone could go deeper technicly i´d apriciate it. :)

what u gotta do on a skyline to make it rwd exactly?
i´d so get one if i could make it only rwd....-.-;and had the money
Screwing with the ATESSA system is not a good idea, leave it alone is my advice. Most Skylines are only Rwd it's just some of the R32, R33 and R34's that have 4wd. ATESSA basically keeps the car Rwd under normal driving, however the harder you push the bigger an issue traction becomes so the ATESSA system sorts it out. It's one of the finest systems when it comes to car control and it's one of the things that makes Skylines corner so well. Screw with that and you run the risk of screwing up the Skyline. I don't see any reason to disslike the Skylines ATESSA system, it does nothing but increase the cars performance capability.

live4speed
Screwing with the ATESSA system is not a good idea, leave it alone is my advice. Most Skylines are only Rwd it's just some of the R32, R33 and R34's that have 4wd. ATESSA basically keeps the car Rwd under normal driving, however the harder you push the bigger an issue traction becomes so the ATESSA system sorts it out. It's one of the finest systems when it comes to car control and it's one of the things that makes Skylines corner so well. Screw with that and you run the risk of screwing up the Skyline. I don't see any reason to disslike the Skylines ATESSA system, it does nothing but increase the cars performance capability.

I'd just buy a RWD Skyline to start with and toss an RB26DETT into that.... :sly:

But maybe that's just me... :crazy:

Latest Posts

Back