• Thread starter Slash
  • 79 comments

Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
So my buddy was cleaning out his driveway, to obtain his dream car, a 1973 AMC Javelin, the truck had to go. But he didn't want it t go to just anyone, he wanted it to go to me.

So here we are later.

This truck is a 1979 F150 Custom Explorer (yes both), original from Texas. It is spotless, no rot or bad rust. It was originally a 302, 3 on the tree truck, but has since been converted to a 351M V8 engine with a C6 transmission.

The engine has milled heads, around a .525" lift cam, new valve springs, a 400ci crank, straight up timing, longtube headers, Edelbrock Performer intake with an Edelbrock 600cfm 4 Barre carburetor, along with full MSD 6AL ignition and Blaster 2 coil. The trans has a B&M stage 2 shift kit and B&M ratchet shifter, and the rear end is a freshly built 9" with 3.89 gears and true Posi. This thing is a monster.

It has a bunch of little things wrong like it needs new plug wires, door seals, things like that. But otherwise she runs and drives great. It was meticulously maintained, oil changes every 1500 miles, coolant flushes every 5,000.

I will have more pics and videos soon, but she will be going into hibernation shortly.

Can't wait to see whats in store for my new girl.

FB_IMG_1509226308821.jpg
FB_IMG_1509225752033.jpg
FB_IMG_1509225659509.jpg
FB_IMG_1509225821123.jpg
Snapchat-1226174864.jpg
Screenshot_2017-04-20-08-47-54.png
IMG_20170403_204522.jpg
IMG_20170609_232811_608.jpg
IMG_20170622_233001_617.jpg
FB_IMG_1496096025466.jpg

Last edited:
That's a pretty colour! The steering wheel is hopelessly period correct too.

SVX
That's a pretty colour! The steering wheel is hopelessly period correct too.
I almost want to pull the wheel off fo an original one, just so I don't destroy it.

The thing needs some work, plug wires, shifter cable, door seals/weather stripping because at 55 there is god awful wind noise. The glue just hasn't held up to 40 years of useage. The seat is super plush but definitely worn out and cracked. It also needs a coil base, because it's rotted. It also needs a speedo gear because when he put the gears from 3.08 to 3.89s in the rear he never changed it, so the speedo reads 15mph fasterm than youre actually going. Another thing is it has a couple small leaks, as you'd expect. I put a power steering line on it and it never sealed, and the front main seal is toasted. The wiring for the cab lights is also kinda shady so they are spotty fo working and coming on.

It's just little things to nitpick at, but it is nice to have a hotrod. I forgot to make mention earlier that it also has Lakewood traction bars and 2" lowering shackles in the rear, along with brand new shocks, 4 new tires and all new brakes. She drives like a champ otherwise, but getting used to 3 gears instead of 4 might take a minute!

As far as future plans, really won't do much for now but put two of my fat tires from the red truck on the back, remove that giant gaudy tachometer, do valve covers ad maybe paint the motor. When I get the urge for more power I'll start going deeper but for the most part it'll stay as it is. I estimate it's somewhere around 300hp at the crank. I'll be replacing badges, fixing dents and dinlgs, maybe repaint as the original paint is god awful. It needs light upgrades, being so used to my LEDS in my red truck I could barely see driving this one in the dark with those old sealed beams. I'm looking into projector retrofits, maybe green halos. Also going to upgrade the sound system, the speakers are terrible and there's only 2. Maybe put a newer head unit in.

Also, here's a WOT pull in Mexico my buddy did back in August.

Last edited:
So my buddy was cleaning out his driveway, to obtain his dream car, a 1973 AMC Javelin, the truck had to go. But he didn't want it t go to just anyone, he wanted it to go to me.

So here we are later.

This truck is a 1979 F150 Custom Explorer (yes both), original from Texas. It is spotless, no rot or bad rust. It was originally a 302, 3 on the tree truck, but has since been converted to a 351M V8 engine with a C6 transmission.

The engine has milled heads, around a .525" lift cam, new valve springs, a 400ci crank, straight up timing, longtube headers, Edelbrock Performer intake with an Edelbrock 600cfm 4 Barre carburetor, along with full MSD 6AL ignition and Blaster 2 coil. The trans has a B&M stage 2 shift kit and B&M ratchet shifter, and the rear end is a freshly built 9" with 3.89 gears and true Posi. This thing is a monster.

It has a bunch of little things wrong like it needs new plug wires, door seals, things like that. But otherwise she runs and drives great. It was meticulously maintained, oil changes every 1500 miles, coolant flushes every 5,000.

I will have more pics and videos soon, but she will be going into hibernation shortly.

Can't wait to see whats in store for my new girl.
This is too techinical and too American for me. I need pics. :D
:P

And here is one.

My favorite photo. This truck looks amazing. Love it.

Last edited:
So first impressions after driving her for a couple days. I've ridden in it many times, but driving it...

This thing is a hoot. Hot damn.

You put your foot down and your doing 100, like now. It blazes tires. There is no problem of going way over the speed limit, let me tell you.

Brakes, brakes are great. Nice firm peddle, no serious fade, at least as best can be for a 79 pickup; they really aren't as bad as you'd expect from a vehicle that is 38 years old. I'd say the peddle is firmer, if not just as responsive as most 2017 vehicles off the lot. Granted these brakes are fairly fresh.

Throttle response is immediate, absolutely 0 lag. You touch the pedal with the lightest foot and it moves.

The biggest thing is the trans; it's tough to get on it. 1-2 does not like to shift gears at WOT without letting off; then sometimes, not always, it will spit and sputter pretty bad. 2-3 is crisp 80% of the time at WOT, had it do the same thing a few times or feels like it loses 60% of its power and won't gain rpm almost like it's flooding out and misfiring until I let off. Typical driving conditions it drives beautifully. There was some issues with the vacuum modulator and line going to it; it also needs a shifter cable. Kick down at wot works beautifully, all downshifts slowing down are perfect. Just upshifts at WOT are spotty. I know the one plug wire is too short on cylinder #7 and likes to pull off under load so that may have something to do with it running like poop. I also need to figure out why it will not go into second period if I shift manually. I don't think there's anything wrong with the trans in of itself, I think it's just a few kinks that need working out.

The wind noise is infuriatingly bad. That needs to get remidied before anything else.

I feel as if theres more in this engine than my buddy let it have; the Rev limiter is set low at 4500rpm. At that rpm it's still pulling quite strongly. It feels the strongest from 2000-4500 so far. I feel this engine has potential to see 5500 or better. Low end torque is fantastic. It makes great power throughout the Rpm range. I feel like a higher stall wouldn't be a bad idea.

It actually doesn't handle really all that bad. Obviously it's not going to turn corners like a brand new Corvette, but I have no problem taking 75 degree corners at a good click. It does not handle better than my 95 however. I don't feel uncomfortable on most corners going over the suggested speed limit by 20mph. Most typical back road corners are not an issue. Tires don't squeal let alone want to break traction until you start getting real stupid with it. I have yet to. My balls ain't that big yet.

There's some drivetrain vibration around 55mph, I think it's got something to do with the drive shaft, maybe out of balance. U joints aren't making noise, but wouldn't hurt to crawl under it and check them out. The power steering leaks pretty good out of the line I replaced; it never wanted to seal no matter how tight the fitting. So it loses fluid out of the steering box pretty quicky.

The headlights on hi beams are, well you can see if that counts. Lows suck, typical sealed beam stuff. I'm spoiled with my great lights on the 95 that I installed. To the average person they are decent, to me they blow in low light levels; specifically dawn and dusk where its not quite dark but its not light yet either. In total darkness they are pretty good. The cab lights not working/working when they feel like, annoys me. The giant tach is so bright it blinds you, not to menation it's tacky as hell and makes it difficult to see out of the truck while driving. Dash lights are dim, the dimmer don't work they are either on or off. I threw the idea of putting LEDS in the dash, but there's really something about the dim green glow it emits...

The seat needs to be redone. Bad. It's like a couch, that's good, except the couch is wore out. You sit down and you are instantly bottomed out; enough that seeing over the dash is almost a chore.

It needs a head unit and speakers something fierce. The speakers are original and sound effin' terrible. The head unit is old and outdated. They need to go.

But otherwise I am happy with it and thrilled to finally be the owner. I first saw the truck 3 years ago at my local tracks Wednesday cruise night; became good friends with the kid after seeing him post in a mutual Facebook group; I recognized the truck in his profile pictuee. I sent him a find request, he eventually commented on a post I made; got me my current job, and started hanging out a lot. Now I'm the owner of the truck that sparked a great friendship. The first pic I have of this truck is a Snapchat pic of him driving it on the track's ashpalt oval for the roundy round guys, with a caption that said:

2017-11-01 23.16.10.jpg

Well I :censored:ing got it.

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful truck you have there! 👍

Thank you!!!!!! I'm still having trouble taking it in. Never thought in a million years it would be mine. Always wanted a 79 pickup. The fact I got it cheaaaaappp blows my mind.

I know jack about trucks, but it's awesome to see your passion for it.

I always really liked these old girls. I remember when I was a kid knowing they were old then...seeing a 70s Ford truck was really special to me. They were usually always rusty and rotted out but they had a style about them that really set me off. 4x4 especially.

This truck is basically a muscle car with a truck body.

You might need to start a rescue sanctuary for 70s-90s Ford trucks at the rate you keep acquiring them. :lol:

If you think I am bad a friend of mine has 27 of them and God knows how many millions of parts. He has shelves just full of engines end to end...

I wont be satisfied until I have 77 and 85 4x4 3/4 tons though!! :lol:

Thank you!!!!!! I'm still having trouble taking it in. Never thought in a million years it would be mine. Always wanted a 79 pickup. The fact I got it cheaaaaappp blows my mind.

I always really liked these old girls. I remember when I was a kid knowing they were old then...seeing a 70s Ford truck was really special to me. They were usually always rusty and rotted out but they had a style about them that really set me off. 4x4 especially.

This truck is basically a muscle car with a truck body.

If you think I am bad a friend of mine has 27 of them and God knows how many millions of parts. He has shelves just full of engines end to end...

I wont be satisfied until I have 77 and 85 4x4 3/4 tons though!! :lol:

Doesn't surprise me to hear someone would have a boatload of them since they (like the Square Body GM trucks) are still generally cheap dime-a-dozen trucks. If he waits a few years for them to become hot trucks, and they probably will, he's going to be sitting on a gold mine if he considers selling them!

Side note, you better get pics of your new F150 next to the Javelin your friend who sold it to you bought if he does snag it. I've always loved them things, and its one of the cars my dad really regretted selling along with his Coronet RT.

Doesn't surprise me to hear someone would have a boatload of them since they (like the Square Body GM trucks) are still generally cheap dime-a-dozen trucks. If he waits a few years for them to become hot trucks, and they probably will, he's going to be sitting on a gold mine if he considers selling them!

Side note, you better get pics of your new F150 next to the Javelin your friend who sold it to you bought if he does snag it. I've always loved them things, and its one of the cars my dad really regretted selling along with his Coronet RT.
He's more into 92-96 Ford trucks now, but for years prior to he was all about 73-79 and 80-86 trucks; that's where I am right now. Most of what he gets are rot boxes he strips for parts, but he does have quite a few nice ones.

I will for sure be getting pics; here is the Javelin. Its paid for; he is bringing it home tomorrow morning. It has the Pierre Cardan interior.

FB_IMG_1509596078545.jpg

Threw the set of plug wires on had on my spare 351W I had laying around on the truck, definitely runs better, doesn't misfire anymore, picked up a little power. I'm going to convert to electric fans as well so that will free up as little power.

The speakers are ok, I swapped the door 6"ers to 6.5s and put 5x7s behind the seat but they need boxes and sound hollow. The head unit is awful and needs to go; they make these cool head units that appear original to the the truck but with all the modern features. I want it but they are pricey!

I also ordered new headlights with green square halos, LED bulbs as ell and need to order a heavy duty headight wire harness to take the load off the switch as a preventative measure against an electrical Fire. Ford's were known for this for decades.

s-l400.jpg

I'm also ordering anodized green lugs to put the fat tires on because the lugs are different. I would like to get new valve covers as well.

Every time I look at this thing I smile and can't believe I own it. I own a 79 Ford.

Just hearing that...this is one of my dream cars.

IMG_20171103_215501_197.jpg

Did a quick walk around. She was still cold when I tool this video.

I also ordered a few vintage stickers from the 80s for the back window. I'm going to pickup a set of matching New York plates from 1979 when I have it registered. Other than the headlights, I really want this thing to have an old school vibe.

I also ordered a few vintage stickers from the 80s for the back window. I'm going to pickup a set of matching New York plates from 1979 when I have it registered. Other than the headlights, I really want this thing to have an old school vibe.

If you need some vintage designs remade to get them printed, let me know, I might be able to help out.

SVX
If you need some vintage designs remade to get them printed, let me know, I might be able to help out.
We might be able to work something out. I have a few things in mind that I have a tough time finding.

Keeping with the 70s theme, when I inevitably buy tires for the wheel in the spring, I have decided to go real old school. I am going to order N50-15s. For anyone who doesn't know, before they went to P metric ratings for tire sizes, everything was titied very different. Basilly these were some of the widest streel tires on the market during the time period.

I'm also going to replace the traction bars with the correct ones for pickups, and have them powder coated in yellow like the old Lakewoods. I may order some retro orange fogs to mount on or under the front bumper when I eventually get one.

One of the decals arrived today, along with the LED bulbs, and a steering wheel emblem.

I can't wait until the rest of them show...here is a sneak peak.

received_1438582809528521.jpeg
Kendall.jpg

Most if not all my decals arrived so I slapped them on. Didn't realize how big the 76 fuel one was though. If I find any more interesting ones I may order them but this will be it for a while.

Also installed the LED bulbs and housings though I haven't hooked up the Halos. I still need to order though the HD wiring harness as well.

20171110_124708.jpg
20171110_150435.jpg

SVX
That Ford Motorsport one is sooo rad. So period correct it hurts!
I know right!!! :lol:

Minus the headlights simply because I want to be able to see I definitely want to keep it period correct. This is going to be a fun build.

Got her over to my cousins and laid a tarp over the bed. Rinsed her off, just gotta get over there and drain the carb and put some stabilizer in the little bit of gas it has. The "O" badge on the hood popped off driving, but fortunately I located it. Left it off for now until I get adhesive. Fortunately I still have the originals as well. But otherwise she is prepped.

20171119_140159.jpg
20171119_140210.jpg

See you in the spring my love.

So it's been a few months since I went and checked up on the old girl. Fired right up! I had to crank a little to get the carburetor filled with fuel because I drained it but ran good. Had a mouse nest in the tailgate handle but otherwise good to go.

Pulled the radio out, good thing I did...tell connector was melted on the power wire. I picked up a brand new Pioneer for $100 and change, so this truck is going to get a serious sound system overhaul because it needs it. I want to get the center dash speaker working, get speaker boxes for the rear speakers behind the seat (and shim the seat up an inch) and get rid of all the cobbled wiring. I knew this truck was fairly rough with wiring but everything for the most part works as intended although the roof marker lights are spotty.

I also aquird the original steering wheel but unfortunately the horn pad is pretty well had it, so that will be another $100 to replace. Although new ones don't have the silver insert, that's fine with me...I like it better that way anyways.

The list keeps growing as they usually do. Trying to do a no expense spared with this but sometimes it is fairly dofficult. I've been shopping for deals...some of these parts are absurdly priced. For example a square piece of moulding around the tailgate handle is $25! That might not seem like a lot but it's about the size of your fist. The other thing too is that you need to be careful with brands...There's a reason why one tailgate handle costs $18 and the one next to it costs $78 despite looking identical. The more expensive is not nearly as cheap feeling, and will have a near if not perfect fit because they were built with factory moulds. There is a $10 difference between a fender reflector that has the blue oval engraved in it vs one that doesnt...but the one that doesn't probably does not fit either and leaks water through the seal. You gotta be mindful with these trucks. Thee is high demand for original NOS parts simply because of fitment and quality issues.

For the most part everything I've been slowly purchasing such as new headlight doors has been more for the body and pleasure than anything concerning driveability.

And that's how it should be.

IMG_20180115_201736_618.jpg

Ordered new headlight doors and some tailgate handling moulding. Hoping next week to order some door striker bushings and a few other odds and ends.

Back