Slash's '85 Ford Pickup: Fuel Injection!!

• Thread starter Slash
  • 201 comments

Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
image.jpg

After being told a 🤬-load of times to post a damn thread for this thing, I finally decided to stop being lazy. The first few days this thread is up I'll probably be editing it a lot so keep an eye on it for minor changes. Here's the backstory.

This...this is the machine that made me a Ford guy. My love for everything and anything (old) Ford came from this. Why? Because my dad built one hella-badass pickup. Now you might not be a truck guy or girl, but hear me out. They say every car has a story, and this truck, I can assure you, quite does. This post might get long, so get your reading glasses.

When I was a kid, this thing was the 🤬. It didn't look like anything on the road. It didn't sound like anything on the road. It was bigger and badder than anything on the road. And it was bloody fast. I always loved that about it. My dad bought this truck around 1987-1988, just a few years old. It was clean, had a bed cap (though was sold before he bought it), and no damage other than a setof broken rear springs and a trashed rear bumper. This was the first vehicle he ever worked and saved up for and because of that, according to him, is exactly why he never sold or got rid of it and why he hangs onto it. That truck taught my dad the value of a dollar. So for those of you who see just a rusted out hunk of steel, think about that.

Over the years it's gone from many states of tune. The truck was nothing special rolling off the lot when it was new. It was a base model, meaning the lowest trim you could buy, F-250 4x4. The only option on it was an automatic transmission, a 3 speed at that. The interior was very basic. There was no air conditioning, only heat, so there are no vents on the dash. The seat was a plain-jane vinyl bench, suitable for 3 people. The floor had no carpet; instead, it was a rubber-like vinyl mat that covered the floor underneath. There was no special badging, chrome or luxury items, it was simply a work truck. Tried and true. Nothing more and nothing less.

The original engine was the legendary Ford 300 Inline 6 cylinder, or a 4.9L straight 6 for you non-US chaps, equipped with what was called a "feedback carburetor". Basically, this was the very first iteration of computer controlled engines and emissions with on-board diagnostics, or OBDI. This was eventually dropped in favor of what all modern cars come with now, OBDII, in 1996. In the exhaust pipes, there was the first 02 sensors, which sent signals to the computer which would then adjust the carburetor as needed. In theory it would work (and does, although todays cars use fuel injection, but remember this was primitive), but it flopped, and flopped hard. It was more or less and experiment, and hardly worked new. The first thing that was done was swapping to a better carburetor and completely cutting out the computer system. It might sound counter-productive, but in reality it was actually an upgrade since it was new technology that was, for the most part, pretty unreliable. However, the engine is well known for being extremely reliable (having been used in marine, UPS/Fedex trucks, industrial and light duty applications) and was used for 35+ years in various states of tune. Even though in this year it made a whopping 120 horspower and 240 lb-ft of torque, it made power at a diesel like RPM (very low), which made them very desirable for heavy duty usage.

As most everyone here knows by now, for my dad that didn't suffice. The engine was pulled making way for a 351 Windsor V8, sourced from a 1974 Ford Ranchero. If you're not into Fords, something you might not know is that the 300-6 engine uses the same bolt pattern to connect to the transmission as the Windsor engines (aka the 289, 302, 351W and a few others), so the swap was relitavely easy knowing that the same transmission could be used (and could hold the power); the only major item needing to be changed was the engine crossmember which it bolts to. Since my dad didn't want a 302 engine, thinking it's too small (and really doesn't make much more, if anymore power than the 6 cylinder that was in it), the 351 was the best option without too much work to swap to a big block 390 or 460 engine that had been considered (and still is; more on that later). The engine was built, as was the drivetrain beefed up.

Unfortunately the engine was so highly modified it didn't last very long; after a severe oil pressure loss, the oil pan was pulled to see all the piston skirts had broken off. When the engine was removed, it was determined that the cylinder walls had been ruined, and too out-of-round in spec to be machined to be straight again. This engine was removed and now sits in my garage as a bare engine block. The engine put in it is its current engine, and is another 351 Windsor, from a 1975 or 1976 (we are unsure), Ranchero. (After checking out the casting numbers it appears to be a 1979 mold cast on March 1st, 1980.) This engine is extremely tame in comparison, so much so my dad claims it's "stock". This engine was a "hurry-up-and-get-it-together" kind of ordeal, since he needed a ride to work. It's currently got 50,000 or so miles on it since it was put together.

A very short list of things done to this current engine (first 351 I do not have much information on, also this may not be everything):

.030 overbore (the cylinders are 30-thousandths of an inch machined larger than stock)
Felpro gaskets
Wiseco stock style .030" over dished pistons
9.5:1 compression ratio
Pressed fit wrist pins
Stock crank turned .010"
Forged steel connecting rods
Entire rotating assembly internally balanced
C9OE-9245-E Ford Intake w/ ported 1.80"x1.02" ports
1969 (C9-D4 code) Ford cast iron heads
Heads magnafluxed
Full intake and exhaust porting
Heads milled .030"
2.02/1.54 valves installed (stock were 1.84/1.54)
3 angle valve job (triple ground)
Hardened valve seats (to run unleaded fuel)
Triple valve springs
Shortened pushrods
RV-style camshaft (unsure on specs, similar to Comp Cam 252H-260H area)
Holley 4160 600cfm 4 barrel carburetor with vacuum secondaries and electric choke
MSD Blaster 5900 ignition box
MSD Blaster 2 ignition coil
Blue Streak distributor cap and rotor w/ vacuum advance
Ford D0AF-12131-A distributor shaft
C9AE distributor drive gear
Accel Super Stock Spiral Core high temp 8mm plug wires
Autolite/Motorcraft/NGK copper core spark plugs w/ .55 gap
Ported Lincoln log-style exhaust manifolds (headers don't fit)
Straight-up double roller timing set
10* initial timing
34* total
Holley "RED" Fuel Pump
Mr. Gasket 4-6-8 Fuel Pump
High Torque Starter
Dual 1050 Semi Batteries
Magnaflow 99200 Hi-Flow catalytic converters hollowed out
ROL Stainless 2 1/4" true dual pipes
Walker 18646 Sound Solution Universal Mufflers
Electric cooling fans (removed)
460 V8 radiator

Needless to say the engine was built to push snow and get to work. It's not a high revving engine, but it makes serious torque which is what's needed to get a tank like this moving. It sounds nice, has the V8 burble you'd expect at idle (note the camshaft in it does not allow it to be all choppy at idle like most do) and the roar of a Mustang when you get on it.

What are the other things done? Well, a Chevy snow plow frame made by Fisher (including a 7.5" blade) was rigged on and welded to the frame rails. An extra leaf spring was added to the front, Gabriel Gas Ryder VST nitrogen-charged shocks were installed. The rear end has Gabriel Pro-Guard model 751018 shocks on it. The transmission was rebuilt in 2003 (years fuzzy) or so and was beefed up to hold more power than we'll ever put through it, even if we changed the case to accept a big block engine (under consideration). The front axle is a Spicer 44 (now known as a Dana 44 TTB, or Twin Traction Beam), the rear is a Dana 60, both with a 3.73 ratio traction lock gearset. The rear axle has 4130 chromoly 35 spline axle shafts with Timken tapered roller bearings. The transfer case is a NP208F that has been rebuilt. Driveshafts are stock steel (front replaced) with Precision P/N 434 and 369 u-joints.

Many things have come and gone. The truck was torn to a bare rolling frame and rebuilt all the way up including fresh paint sometime in the mid 1990s. Every year the frame was oiled to prevent rust, and thank goodness it did. The truck is due for it's next refresh, and we've been gathering parts. We currently have a complete front clip ready to bolt on as well as body mounts, bushings and all other parts you can think of. So it's nearly ready to be torn down again. 33" tires have been installed, the wheels powdercoated in red/white two tone. A pushbar with dual KC lights with black/orange covers came and went, rollbars with several different style lights, as well as old school bug deflectors, a CB radio and many other neat things like a big digital clock hanging from the ceiling as well as gun racks (murica), and a bunch of other neat things. The hood even has a draw light for you to see while you're working.

I'll add more later, but for now, feast your eyes on some pics.

FB_IMG_1436841177296.jpg

My parents, presumably around 1990. The first mods were installed as you can see here: the 33" tires and wheels, fender flares, a bug shield, CB radio etc. I don't have any pics of when he first bought it unfortunately.

attachment_1423960868027_shop6.png

This is a slight photoshop, but this is how it looked after rollbars and wheels got primered. The rear bumper was built; a double 3" set of schedule 160 pipes with 1/4" thick diamond plate. It was built for weight to avoid sandbag use in the bed in the winter, and it was so heavy that "he had it put on with a lift-truck". :lol:

Center caps were added, as were longer chrome lugnuts and double bladed color-keyed wiper blades.

image.jpg

IMG_1168_zps1cfde1a2.jpg

This is the current motor; ignore the fact it looks like dog-doo, remember it was thrown together practically in a weekend. It only has 50,000 or so miles on it. It runs very strong.

Here's a better shot of the rear end and the bumper. The tailgate (this it's 4th one lol) is getting replaced, the bumper will be sandblasted and repainted.

null_zpsa143170f.jpg

IMG_1145_zps74834c66.jpg

All time favorite interior. I love how all your little indicator lights appear in the cubby-light channels at the top of the dash. You'll also see some of the guages we've put on, and the fuel pump, ignition and other switches down below. There's several more in other places.

Work that needs to be done: complete body swap :lol: The floor is gone; it's been repaired but it just won't stay nice. So we are planning on cutting out the back wall and floor completely and rebuilding with as much 1/4" stainless as we can get our hands on. But more info on that later.

But like I said I'll edit more in; that's the gist of it for now. There's a hell of a lot I left out, but that's enough to get started I think.

Last edited:
I've always liked this truck. I'm probably going to get something similar for my first vehicle. đź‘Ť

Also, it's pretty cool your dad has kept it for all these years.

That's enoug to fill a Reader's Digest minimag. But finally, indeed.
Everything that left is mostly pictures and the rest of the mods list haha.

Some of the new parts from the front clip (not everything):

2 Doors, 2 fenders, radiator core support.

photo (18).JPG
photo (19).JPG
photo (20).JPG

Here's a couple exhaust vids too. Nothing special.

Motor plans! Not much in the way of that right now but down the road dad wants to change the Trans case to accept a big block. He's thinking probably a 460 SVO crate engine. Most likely bolt in 550-600 horsepower. Top end will be all modern complete with the latest Holley mechanical fuel injection since he doesn't want electronic. This of course is way down the road.

No fender flares on the new body either. The last ones were screw in and rusted the fenders. In the first pic where you can see the tire size comparison you can see a screw hole of where flexy rubber flares used to be. Notice how most of it's gone.

I did get good news as he does NOT plan to drive it in the snow after restoration. No more rust hopefully.

Also:

#soon

image.jpg
image.jpg

I thought mechanical fuel injection was a pain in the ass to work on?
He really wants some sort of throttle body. He says he's had enough of carbs, even though he can tune one like hell (cold start in over a year and it didn't even crank for a split second. My van turns over harder). He doesn't want EFI and wants to avoid electrical work as much as possible. There are kits now that make it pretty easy to work on.

So a friend of mine that I met at the drag strip who I have always fanboyed over his 77 F150 with a 460 big block bought a 1983 F250 4x4 with a C6 trans and 460 engine. The truck is a trailer special meaning it was a heavier duty truck that came with a 5th wheel hitch and old school tow mirrors. The base truck still appears to be a light duty though. Anyways due to citations he has to sell the truck so he messaged me.

It's somewhat beat up but in decent shape. Dent in the door but the only serious rust is on the wheel arches. Basic body wise it's probably cleaner. No floor rot either! He told me he'd sell it for $950 and tow to my house. There's no Trans in it ATM due to a bad valve body and no carb but it does run.

So I talked to my dad and he's real interested. After I get back from vacation him and I are going to take a ride and look at it if he still has it. If we get it we will prolly sell the front clip since we have one already and make our money back.

Pics:

FB_IMG_1437530289633.jpg
FB_IMG_1437530286791.jpg
FB_IMG_1437530283234.jpg
FB_IMG_1437530280274.jpg
FB_IMG_1437530270775.jpg
FB_IMG_1437530265689.jpg
FB_IMG_1437530254766.jpg

Last edited:
That truck has less rust than the car you were going to buy for sure. :lol:

Actually quite surprised the bed part of the box is in that good of condition along with the cab floors. đź‘Ť

That truck has less rust than the car you were going to buy for sure. :lol:

Actually quite surprised the bed part of the box is in that good of condition along with the cab floors. đź‘Ť
Think so? :lol: Despite that car having rust I don't think it would have stopped us from doing what we wanted with it, especially for $350 :lol:

I'm just as surprised. For the price, my dad doesn't want to pass it up (though he says he should because money). Provided it's still there we are going to look at it after I'm done with vacation on the 31st of this month. My bud is the one selling it (he's got a real nice 77 F150 as well) and said he'd tow it to my house as well. The trans is out of it and the carb off it atm, but my dad doesn't car. For $950 I could easily make 1/4 of that back just with the motor alone. The entire front clip of that truck with worth about $1200 by itself not including the motor.

Since we have a clip it would be pointless not to try and make our money back, and even though my dad said after this rebuild it won't see snow again, I told him it might be a good idea to keep those parts around just in case. Despite the fact they built this basic body for 15 years, they only built those specific wheel arches and fenders for 6 so finding clean parts is getting tougher and tougher and the demand for these trucks is rising steadily (in part due to the recent truck craze, the fact they've recently become classic trucks and the fact these trucks were beat on bad when new).

Think so? :lol: Despite that car having rust I don't think it would have stopped us from doing what we wanted with it, especially for $350 :lol:

I'm just as surprised. For the price, my dad doesn't want to pass it up (though he says he should because money). Provided it's still there we are going to look at it after I'm done with vacation on the 31st of this month. My bud is the one selling it (he's got a real nice 77 F150 as well) and said he'd tow it to my house as well. The trans is out of it and the carb off it atm, but my dad doesn't car. For $950 I could easily make 1/4 of that back just with the motor alone. The entire front clip of that truck with worth about $1200 by itself not including the motor.

Since we have a clip it would be pointless not to try and make our money back, and even though my dad said after this rebuild it won't see snow again, I told him it might be a good idea to keep those parts around just in case. Despite the fact they built this basic body for 15 years, they only built those specific wheel arches and fenders for 6 so finding clean parts is getting tougher and tougher and the demand for these trucks is rising steadily (in part due to the recent truck craze, the fact they've recently become classic trucks and the fact these trucks were beat on bad when new).
Yes that car was a rusted nightmare and you would have ended up sinking way more money into it than you realize. So we can just move on from that topic....

How does the driver side floor look in that truck? Passenger side looks REALLY good. What other plans do you have for this truck?

Yes that car was a rusted nightmare and you would have ended up sinking way more money into it than you realize. So we can just move on from that topic....

How does the driver side floor look in that truck? Passenger side looks REALLY good. What other plans do you have for this truck?
Its funny you see it that way :lol:, I thought it looked great. Oh well. Shame the guy who bought it is gonna derby it :/

The drive side looks as good as the passenger side. I wasn't going to post these but since you know what you're dealing with, I had him take pics of all 4 corners under the cab and send them to me last night.

11758957_1089869941040678_415122828_n.jpg
11758837_1089869954374010_1747251911_n.jpg
11749475_1089869951040677_1041609754_n.jpg
11753914_1089869947707344_1453052304_n.jpg

It looks phenomenally good compared to our cab :lol: This one is much more saveable.

I'm not sure exactly what the plan with it is yet, if we do buy it. I initially wanted to knab it for myself and slap one of my spare Holley's on it and put a trans in it, drive it as is. But then I talked to my dad about it and he was interested in it for being a parts truck. I know the guy selling it doesn't want to part it out due to how much potential is has but my dad has other ideas. Him and I discussed selling the front clip off this one. He doesn't really want to swap the cab but if it comes down to that he will; though he would rather rebuild what he has first (stubborn!). The bed does look better than ours and since we have bed sides it might be easier to use this one. It also has dual tanks on it and ours doesn't, though we did halfway convert it but never finished.

Really it's up in the air at this point. If anything it'd be nice to have laying around for parts, the only thing really holding us back is the fact my dad doesn't want 2 vehicles in the driveway with no plates since it's against town code. But I don't think he will really care once we get it. It had plates on it not long ago and the title is clean so we'll see what happens.

You are right. That is pretty dang good especially for a northern truck. Rare to see the under side of a northern truck of that age, look that good. I have repaired bodywork on trucks much newer than that and in much worse condition. Was that truck kept in a garage in the winter? Maybe the owner actually washed the truck in the winter unlike most other truck owners. haha

Last edited:
You are right. That is pretty dang good especially for a northern truck. Rare to see the under side of a northern truck of that age, look that good. I have repaired bodywork on trucks much newer than that and in much worse condition. Was that truck kept in a garage in the winter? Maybe the owner actually washed the truck in the winter unlike most other truck owners. haha
I'm actually not too sure where it was kept or how it was maintained. It's already been through several owners so its anyone's guess. But for a northern truck to be this clean despite a few debts and dings in the doors is what makes us want to go look at it. It's hard enough to even find a cab let alone a bed even hours and hours away so to find a complete 4x4, close by and very cheap makes it very tempting.

My step dad has an '82 stepside that looks kinda ugly. We got it from a guy way down in Arizona who used it for rock climbing. So my step dad took off the big tires and put on some horrific street rims and repainted the body a glossy red. I've never really liked the stepsides earlier than the '97-'03 generation.

But about your truck @Slash, that's a very nice piece of work you have there. That kind of a truck would be perfect around here for pushing snow in the winter.

My step dad has an '82 stepside that looks kinda ugly. We got it from a guy way down in Arizona who used it for rock climbing. So my step dad took off the big tires and put on some horrific street rims and repainted the body a glossy red. I've never really liked the stepsides earlier than the '97-'03 generation.

But about your truck @Slash, that's a very nice piece of work you have there. That kind of a truck would be perfect around here for pushing snow in the winter.
Got any pics? I am quite fond of the 80-86 flareside trucks. Those are about the only ones though, at least until the 60s.

It's had it's fun in the snow. No more snow time playing lol. That's what eats these things up and they are getting tough to find in good shape. Not long ago I saw an 85 F150 XLT 4x4 that wasn't even mint sell for $20k.

Sorry for the blurriness in the pics.

View attachment 415416
View attachment 415417
View attachment 415418

My grandpa has an '85 F-250 XLT sitting behind his house. Hauled a lot of water and cattle with that truck for years and it still runs today (just have to give it a shot of ether to get it started).

View attachment 415419
Hell yeah! I personally would have left those 33s on the flareside cause I think it looks tougher, but those both look pretty clean! Love the extended cab too. If you've got any extra parts laying around you don't need, hit me up. I'm always looking for stuff.

Looks like yours has the grey headlight bezels too. I've got the black ones.

Finally got the information I've been looking for for the engines. I'm about to bore everyone with the following information.

The first V8 put in it was a cast D4AE-6015-AA 1. The date code was 5A2. What this means is the block was cast on January 2nd, 1975 using a mold designed with updates for 1974. The AA 1 means the block design had been revised twice since it was introduced in 1969. Also being a D4AE casting it was one of the thicker, meatier blocks that have more nickel in them, which can withstand much more power than later engines. In the lifter galley it's also stamped 351 WCP1 for it's displacement (351ci). WCP stands for Windsor Casting Plant/Products, and the "1" is the location of the factory it was made. Each factory was numbered by Ford (ie; 1, 2, 3, 4). Plant 1 was located in Ontario, Canada.

The second, and current engine, was cast D9AE-6015-ED-2. The date code was 0C1. So apparently this block is a 1979 mold, cast on March 1st, 1980. Since this motor is obviously put together I won't be able to tell where it was made.

I'd always wondered exactly what the dates for those blocks were. I know for a fact the first one came from a Ranchero, but what the current engine came out of, I have no idea. It's interesting though, it literally runs on a bunch of cobbled together Ford parts that have been modified. Pretty cool.

Last edited:
Charging the battery up so I can put them back in tomorrow and fire her up and turn her around, let it run for a bit. Will probably have video :lol:

Wonder how bad it'll go into gear since the shifter linkage is out of whack since the cabs twisted.

She fired right up Sunday afternoon. Ran strong as always. Started taking stuff apart again as well. Seat came out of it and the interior completely cleaned out. Currently looking for parts online but glad things are taking off.

IMG_20151005_140334.jpg
FB_IMG_1444058171792.jpg

What was the plan for this again? The body obviously has to be fixed/replaced at some point but was there anything else in store?

What was the plan for this again? The body obviously has to be fixed/replaced at some point but was there anything else in store?
Body work. Swapping on a new front clip and fixing the floors and bed. Everting else is like new, the brakes have no miles on them.

Ew!

Seats out. Now we know what we are up against. New cab for sure.

received_869852516401556.jpeg

I'm not even going to try. Its coming off. I'm in talks with a guy from Pennsylvania now hwho might have one off an 89 I'm interested in. I've passed up a few so far so we will see.

Despite what I said in my last post my dad has started cutting out bad metal. He built a new back wall brace for the floor and has laid it in and started riveting it down temporarily and wants to spray down the underside with a rust neutralizer. He's been looking for the new body mount bolt nuts a waiting for new bolts to come in the mail. He wants to replace the back 2 mounts today as well. Pics soon.

There's the wrong way to do it and the right way to do it. This doesn't seem like the right way.. The floors are gone, the sills are gone, you could dip it in acid and most of the cab would be gone. Buy another cab.

There's the wrong way to do it and the right way to do it. This doesn't seem like the right way.. The floors are gone, the sills are gone, you could dip it in acid and most of the cab would be gone. Buy another cab.
Its pretty much all already been fixed as of yesterday. Waiting on a floor pan and rockers to come in and then ha ordering corners as well. It stiffened up nicely, its now realigned and level and no longer rocks. New body mounts are going in as soon a as the bolts get here. We got the bad ones out yesterday and took the bed off. Wed swap the cab but space constraints aren't allowing it haha.

Back