Slash's '85 Ford Pickup: Fuel Injection!!

• Thread starter Slash
  • 201 comments
Eah individual one will said FORD just like they said BAJA before. Kinda like how some say KC.

I'm just wonder where I could get stencils made for it. Who knows. Might end up using my old chrome KCs.

TB
Look for a local decal shop. They should be able to custom size them to fit with no problems.
I'll have to look around and see if there are any close by. My friend has a company that makes vinyl stickers so I wonder if he could make some for me. I'll have to get measurements.

Sunday funday! Went and picked up the bed. Its straight, it has dents and dings but most of it easily repaired. Some surface rust underneath, and the floor is a little warped, but overall very good shape, dad super happy. Its even the same color and paint code as ours! It does need a good wash from transport. Should be on the road this summer, around July. Going to have the old wagon wheels sand blasted and repainted, but pretty much minus things like paint and all, but it's pretty much done.

Also tossed on the new tailgate...fits great!!

FB_IMG_1485725345077.jpg
FB_IMG_1485725342367.jpg
IMG_20170129_153411677.jpg
IMG_20170129_154314174.jpg
FB_IMG_1485725334596.jpg
IMG_20170129_160615285.jpg
FB_IMG_1485725336666.jpg
IMG_20170129_155259044.jpg
FB_IMG_1485725338891.jpg

Dual gas tanks on the way, should be out for its first few test drives by July.

Had an issue where the fuel pump was losing prime, turns out it was overheating and shutting off because of running dead head against a regulator with no return line to backfeed to the tank. So we are ripping out all the new and replacing it again for a dual setup.

IMG_20170321_183436285.jpg

It is about to have dual tanks for the first time. We stopped by a friend's and he cut out a crossover for the rear tank; this truck never had that part of the frame. In fact one of the brake line brackets uses one rivet holes so it needs to be relocated.

It has been decided that for now he is going to straight pipe it. It was a decision that he made likely because of he wants to relive his youth. Which is cool in retrospect.

If all goes as planned, she should be back on the road by the end of June at the latest.

The frame cleans up good for a New York plow truck that was in service for 20 years and then parked over gravel for just about 10.

IMG_20170423_155442064.jpg
IMG_20170423_155436175.jpg

Exciting! I've really enjoyed being able to follow the progress of your build, and really happy for both you & your dad for getting such a big part of your lives back in serviceable shape. Hats off :)

SVX
Exciting! I've really enjoyed being able to follow the progress of your build, and really happy for both you & your dad for getting such a big part of your lives back in serviceable shape. Hats off :)
Thanks man! Cant wait.

Hmm...this might sound pretty good going down the road.....one more leak to fix.

Couple updates since I haven't really updated this much lately. He needs one new door panel but otherwise the interior is back together for the most part. Both fuel tanks are wired up and work; curiously the front tank sending unit reads backwarss on the factory gauge, so we need to figure that out.

Shouod be on the road in the next few weeks. Next tax return: she gets painted. New shackles and leafs springs will be installed up front.

Here's the fun part. The engine. It may be a bit, but he's either going crate motor, or, possibly building one on a stand. And not just a Windsor this time. 351 Clevor; Windsor with Cleveland heads, basically a big boss 302 but way more built.

Here's the fun part. The engine. It may be a bit, but he's either going crate motor, or, possibly building one on a stand. And not just a Windsor this time. 351 Clevor; Windsor with Cleveland heads, basically a big boss 302 but way more built.
Are you guys going to use it for hauling and work duties? If so, I hope that 351 has the torque for it.

Are you guys going to use it for hauling and work duties? If so, I hope that 351 has the torque for it.
Maybe; probably a sheet of plywood here or there, top soil, maybe a fifth wheel camper, but who knows. This old girl already put in 25 years of hard hard labor, so now its more of a toy than anything. Between plowing snow and hauling heavy heavy loads, she has earned her keep. This 351 in it now makes around what a brand new 2016 5.3L Chevy makes power wise but all the torque is immediately off idle, not unlike a big diesel. It has somewhere around 30k miles since he put it together, we aren't really sure. The motor is built with mainly parts from the 1969 engine, which was the highest rated 351W engine ever made ( though net power ratings the late 90s EFI ones weren't much behind if not the same), but it has had further work done in the way of porting and valves and all that so I don't think 350hp -ish is too far off.

Its big power high compression engine it had was back in the 90s, when it ultimately destroyed itself around '99-'00 or so. We still have the bare block.

Time for an update. Got the big 33" tires back on, roll bar lights all wired, badges on, bed rails polished up, still having an issue with the rear tank fuel pump controller not shutting off after 3 seconds if it does not fire. Also need to replace one spring shackle thst developed a hole, but the license plate brackets are on, box is partially painted (body work next year at a shop) and she needs a tune on the carb but she will be driving down the road very very soon.

FB_IMG_1500434591071.jpg
FB_IMG_1500434593866.jpg
FB_IMG_1500434600342.jpg
FB_IMG_1500434610784.jpg
IMG_20170710_113600643_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170709_213101_819.jpg
IMG_20170709_194138333.jpg
IMG_20170710_113400939.jpg

Last edited:
Its definitely been truly awesome watching this truck come together. Can't imagine how it feels to you let alone your dad. The only issue I have is I'm not there to see it in person lol.

And one question, any intentions to take a family photo of this truck, yours and one other certain machine you have? Referring to something I have myself that I wouldn't have without knowing you. You probably know what that machine is. ;)

Its definitely been truly awesome watching this truck come together. Can't imagine how it feels to you let alone your dad. The only issue I have is I'm not there to see it in person lol.

And one question, any intentions to take a family photo of this truck, yours and one other certain machine you have? Referring to something I have myself that I wouldn't have without knowing you. You probably know what that machine is. ;)
It feels like my childhood is being reborn.

Repainted the valance, seemed sealed the drip rails on the roof, installed a new leaf spring hanger and welded a double fishplated patch with a couple pieces of channel to fix the hole from an exhaust leak. Not much left, couple more things need painting and a balljoint but really nothing stopping it from being road worthy.

IMG_20170731_190216803.jpg
IMG_20170731_190229181.jpg
IMG_20170731_190253888.jpg

Put the old Rallye push bar from the 80s back on tonight. Minus a few things such as the bug shield, running boards, fender flares (not going back on) and roll bars, this is pretty much the "summer" setup. What you guys have seen before was the winter setup, with the snow plow frame and stock steel wheels. This is a setup i dont think I have many pictures of, but probably my favorite look it ever had. Also put new stone cages back on the headlights, the old ones were rusty.

IMG_20170801_202519899_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170801_210210589.jpg

Still having a lot of fuel delivery issues, between no pressure on one pump and pressure bleeding off at idle on another we have also seemed to develop an ignition problem, engine breaks up around 3500-4000rpm, vacuum advance was stuck so we freed it up, hoping that works. You'll hear it break up bad in the video.

Back