Slash's F150 Street Truck: V8 Swap Incoming

• Thread starter Slash
  • 277 comments
That's the idea. I've got a lead on a running motor with the full harness and ECU for $300 which is a steal. The idea is to drive the 300 and build on the side and collect parts so that I can drop everything in smoothly in a weekend and go to work. When I swap I plan to build the motor pretty good. 450 horse to the tire minimum. I really can't wait for this truck to be done but man it'll be a while.

But damn it will be worth every last penny.

That's the idea. I've got a lead on a running motor with the full harness and ECU for $300 which is a steal. The idea is to drive the 300 and build on the side and collect parts so that I can drop everything in smoothly in a weekend and go to work. When I swap I plan to build the motor pretty good. 450 horse to the tire minimum. I really can't wait for this truck to be done but man it'll be a while.

But damn it will be worth every last penny.
Why not just go mega hardcore and save for a Dart block to build a 408 SBF with a turbo? :sly:

Oh it's terribly bad! I love rake but its like I have a motor that weighs a ton lol. Too much even for me

Here's one that shows just how raked it is. That's next to a stock Excursion that sits level behind it.

image.jpg

Also sitting pretty

image.jpg

It almost looks like an old school drag car :lol:

I dig it though man, it's s really tough stance 👍

It almost looks like an old school drag car :lol:

I dig it though man, it's s really tough stance 👍
Its getting there man! My bud got some good shots the other da . I bought new shocks for the rear too and my dad found a new gate and hood for me.

Well the tax man is bringing me back my moolah. Thinking the entire tax return is going into my truck. As I've mentioned, I've slowly been buying suspension parts to rebuild most of it. Only a few bushings here and there I won't be touching. Between that, the frame and front gas tank, that's really the last of the big mechanical stuff for now. My dad found me a parts truck with clean body panels and a good rear tank so I will be looking into that as well. Hopefully there should be some big progress soon! Can't wait.

Plus I put her to work this weekend. Between hauling a snowmobile and yanking cars out of ditches on slick stuff I was very impressed with how easily I was yanking cars out only being a 2wd. No problem laying on the throttle. She pulled great.

Screenshot_2016-02-17-15-08-49.png
IMG_20160219_000750.jpg

Been meaning to post this for a while. What a difference fresh bulbs make.

Before (shortly after I bought it)

Now

View attachment 508356

Pricing out new shocks and coils is gonna cost me around $300. Haven't looked at adjustable camber bushings yet either :scared: can't wait though. One coil is shorter so it sits lopsided.

Also dirty booty

Moog CC824 coils are like $75 on rockauto, and I got some Gabriel shocks for $25 each. $125 in springs/shocks up front. Just an idea for you to save some coin. Adjustable camber bushings were $40 each. Get the ones that are fully adjustable, trust me, I've been down this road twice now, and the expensive bushing is worth every freaking penny!

Also, how difficult was the dash light swap? Mine have been burned out since 3 days after I bought my truck, and I keep telling myself I'm going to replace the cluster to get one with a tach, but this whole using my phone as the night time speedometer is getting really old

Rock Auto tends to have decent prices. I'm going to take a look on there when I get a chance. I did buy Gabriel shocks as well. Always been a fan of them and they aren't bad for the money. As far as camber bushings go I was planning on buying fully adjustable ones anyways.

It wasn't bad; took about an hour because I was unfamiliar with how the dash comes apart. Be careful with the outer black panel because the screws will snap the plastic. Age made mine brittle. I ended up putting a washer behind it and tightened it. Kept it from rattling. The biggest bitch was reattaching the small cable that attaches to the gear shift selector in the bezel.

So here is what's going on. Yesterday I finally got my new headlight bezel on. Its far better than that crappy black one that was on it. It doesn't yet sit flush completely with the rest of the grille because a stud on the turn signal is broke but if you weren't looking for it you'd never notice. So at least it matches now. The grille and other one will be replaced eventually. I think I'll do that when I do my core support and bumper.

I got my 2 rear shocks on. The originals were a bitch to get off and bent a mount in the process. It's fine now though. Man what a difference. It's much stiffer back there now. Makes me excited to feel how it rides once the front end is done.

Now here's what happened today. That starter issue is back and almost left me stuck at work. Luckily my bud was there and helped till my dad showed up with some tools. The main power wire is shot. There's a stud on the end of the lower solenoid that's all corroded and pretty much done for. We did get it running and home but now I'm scrambling for cash to get that fixed. I'm not going to try and do it. There's too much in the way. While that's done I'm going to get an estimate on the tanks, trans crossmember and frame. Thatll be the biggest investment yet but will finally have the biggest issues resolved.

I did take pics of the new bezel but they were on Snapchat so I lost them.

Snapchat-4459674268656992645.jpg

That's the other night from my shocks.

IMG_20160224_162912.jpg

I know my stance isn't wide enough for me yet but I think I'm going to hold off on wheels and tires for a bit. Since the starter is going it's going to cost me a nice chunk of change to fix since I'm not doing it. I'm also going to have an estimate done on my frame repair and a complete fuel system overhaul. New lines, new tanks,straps, pumps, everything. Then Im going to start buying parts one buy one for the front end.

I did a thing.

Snapchat-4028193998606517507.jpg

Picked em up cheap off a guy who was parting out an 82 Chevy mud truck. I almost bought a pushbar off him but someone beat me to it. I am going to grab 2 more lights and order some covers for something special hehe. I found me a roll bar!

KC Lights are pretty cool, I got a set of KC Apollo's on my truck and I'm pretty happy with them. Nice to see someone else not going with an LED light bar on their truck for once, it seems like that's the thing to do now.

KC Lights are pretty cool, I got a set of KC Apollo's on my truck and I'm pretty happy with them. Nice to see someone else not going with an LED light bar on their truck for once, it seems like that's the thing to do now.
Honestly I was never into the look of LED light bars. I picked up 2 more today. Combined I'd be at 400w...most LED bars are 300w for a good one. I'm.not going to hook them up for now as the draw would simply be too much for the truck to handle right now but if I was going to it'd be brighter than a light bar all day long.

Nice to see yours coming along and getting put to work. 👍

I also used to run KC lights on all my different trucks. Even the daily drivers. They make excellent products. The last set I bought about 10 years ago had 1 million candle watts of power. They were not legal on the street, only for offroad. I am sure they are much brighter than that now. Seeing these truck threads sure makes me miss mine.

Nice to see yours coming along and getting put to work. 👍

I also used to run KC lights on all my different trucks. Even the daily drivers. They make excellent products. The last set I bought about 10 years ago had 1 million candle watts of power. They were not legal on the street, only for offroad. I am sure they are much brighter than that now. Seeing these truck threads sure makes me miss mine.
Without upgrading my electrical system.I can't handle the 400w these will put out at 100w per light so for now they are just going to be for show purposes. Maybe down the road I'll hook them up. Coming into a large sum of money mostly to dump into my truck so you guys will be seeing vast improvements here soon. I'm currently searching for a fresh front bumper and will be picking up my rollbar and reconditioning it next week before installing it. I will be picking up my springs and shocks and maybe picking up some spring lift pucks if I don't go with the heavier springs. The next drivers side radius arm bushings will be going in along with possibly a new shackle and will also have my frame finally patched. From there I need two transmission lines as they are wet then I will worry about the transmission crossmember/mount and fuel system. I know it still needs a lot of work but as I replace stuff I will be upgrading. I hope when I do the fuel system it will support an engine swap.

Here's the roll bar the owner is holding for me.

FB_IMG_1456776595430.jpg

Despite my dad being a bit of a naysayers, I'm go to look at this Sunday. 1982 F100. 302/auto 2wd longbed. Orginally from Texas, so he says. Looks mostly rust free. It also has an ungodly amount of new parts. Water pump, radiator, heater core, new hoses and belts, brakes, brake lines, new gas tank, fuel lines, new tires etc. There's more to bat. @CAMAROBOY69 If you get a chance give these pics a real good look. The rockers and cab corners and fenders and wheel arches are actually in better shape than my 95. I value your opinion so that's why I'm asking. The owner said all body mounts and floors are flawless.

I am.very excited. This will be a straight up trade. My dad's biggest concern is going from a truck I know what's wrong with it to one I don't. But honestly going to this truck it's really want I truly want. If I get this bullnose I will be keeping it forever. No doubt whatsoever.

00t0t_3vlmjUVzu36_600x450.jpg
00e0e_fwReWORm20P_600x450.jpg
00Z0Z_h1s42t3BnYy_600x450.jpg
00z0z_k8F0BGAsw7_600x450.jpg
01515_byH0TeAgnNJ_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_aEGMSnjBWz1_600x450.jpg
01414_4s6QEqSZwHW_600x450.jpg
00b0b_7si3n93Mayp_600x450.jpg
00s0s_dvdFTGtvNx_600x450.jpg
00h0h_7z3c8LpgMKt_600x450.jpg
00O0O_8JUamNsZM70_600x450.jpg
00M0M_8UBxX58HUhN_600x450.jpg
01212_beClstJrPNF_600x450.jpg

Might want to take off the rose-tinted glasses and target-fixation you got going on there, Slash.

If owning a bull nose Ford is important to you, it would be worth taking the time to wait for the right one to turn up... one that's in far better condition than the truck you just posted pictures of. Your love and enthusiasm for those trucks are going to get you in trouble.

And instead of taking the previous owner's word for where the truck's from, it might be worth going to Texas, New Mexico or Arizona yourself and picking one up. I just glanced at craigslist here in Phoenix and there are loads of sub-2k Ford's of that bodystyle that are a whole helluva lot cleaner.

Last edited:
The problem is actually going there to get one. For around here, that is in exceptionally good shape and in better shape than my current truck is. I know it might get me in trouble but God I want it!

Id say save up your vacation days and about 2500, keep checking the Craigslists in Florida, Texas, AZ, New Mexico, etc... Find the area that has the best selection, fly down and look at them all, buy one and drive it back. That way your first memory is seeing the country in it.

Id say save up your vacation days and about 2500, keep checking the Craigslists in Florida, Texas, AZ, New Mexico, etc... Find the area that has the best selection, fly down and look at them all, buy one and drive it back. That way your first memory is seeing the country in it.
It's a lot easier said than done.

Despite my dad being a bit of a naysayers, I'm go to look at this Sunday. 1982 F100. 302/auto 2wd longbed. Orginally from Texas, so he says. Looks mostly rust free. It also has an ungodly amount of new parts. Water pump, radiator, heater core, new hoses and belts, brakes, brake lines, new gas tank, fuel lines, new tires etc. There's more to bat. @CAMAROBOY69 If you get a chance give these pics a real good look. The rockers and cab corners and fenders and wheel arches are actually in better shape than my 95. I value your opinion so that's why I'm asking. The owner said all body mounts and floors are flawless.

I am.very excited. This will be a straight up trade. My dad's biggest concern is going from a truck I know what's wrong with it to one I don't. But honestly going to this truck it's really want I truly want. If I get this bullnose I will be keeping it forever. No doubt whatsoever.

View attachment 522048 View attachment 522049 View attachment 522050 View attachment 522052 View attachment 522053 View attachment 522054 View attachment 522055 View attachment 522056 View attachment 522057 View attachment 522058 View attachment 522059 View attachment 522060 View attachment 522061
At first glance it is for sure in MUCH better condition than your truck. Especially if that is the original paint. Even the body lines are still very straight. Since you have had a chance to find all the trouble spots on your truck, I am sure you know what to look for on this one. There is visible rust that will need work, but it is MUCH better than your current truck. The rockers and cab corner look surprisingly VERY good from those pics. You would save a lot of money in body work with this truck for sure. I am guessing the frame is better than yours too? Even though the owner says the body mounts and floors are flawless, you will want to check those out. How does the inside of the bed look?
My main question is this. Why is he willing to trade straight up? Is it because yours is a 1995' and this is a 1982' ? For a 1982 truck, the body seems pretty good. Much better than most trucks of that year you find in the northern states.

Last edited:
Unfortunately he did back out on me. I'm trying to buy it outright now if someone else doesn't get to it first. It rode nice and had some carb issues and shifted a bit hard though.

It's just a waiting game at this point.

Bought new Gabriel Gaurdian shocks to much the rears, Moog CC824 coils, two 15x10 American Racing Outlaw I wheels (centerlines) with -38 offset, and two 275/60 Cooper Cobra Radial GT tires. $750 later...

Also ordered 2 more KCs and red covers, a new grille and a bug shield :)

Last edited:
Back