Slightly Mad Studios Confirms New Project CARS Title is In Development

I think if they could just improve the experience for pick up and play gamers so that it's fun out of the box with controllers or wheels and still keep all the technical stuff available for the hardcore fans they'd be onto a reall winner

I believe Project CARS would benefit from having two handling models to choose from, like DiRT 4 did with its Gamer and Simulation gameplay options. Given the attention to detail and the variety of content the series has, such a feature would give PC3 the same mass market appeal as GT or Forza Motorsport.

A refinement of what's already in the game (in all aspects), coupled with the much requested custom championship* with a few new features would probably be more than enough. However, most of us gamers are fickle creatures and I suspect they will need to bring more to the table than just that to get enough people opening their wallets.

Although I've dropped out of sim-racing now, the one feature I always missed (and I had requested for both pCARS1 and 2, but understood that requesting something doesn't mean it will get implemented) was the ability to choose whatever units of measurement I wanted. I found the simple "imperial vs metric" frustrating. I want speed in mph, boost pressure in bar, tyre pressures in psi, ride heights in mm, torque in ft/lb etc etc.

I wish nothing but the best for the guys at SMS :)

* EDIT: forgot to add, I couldn't care less about the custom championship feature myself, I just know that it's a highly requested feature. 99.99% of my time in pCARS2 was spent in time-trial, MP and taking screenshots. I launched the 1st race of the career mode just to see if it worked, prior to the game releasing.

I really hope they ditch everything in the current build and start fresh. The current game is ok, I want to like it but there’s so many reasons why I don’t.
The graphics are terrible, I play with best frame rate, I know this makes it look crappy but if I set it for best quality or resolution, it drops frames in the corners or when there’s a lot going on. Even when in best frame rate mode you can see the dynamic resolution kicking in, it looks really bad. I guess sitting further back from the screen you might not notice some of these graphical issues but I’ve for a rig setup and from that distance with a 50” screen it shockingly bad. I thought it would run better on the PS4 Pro, it just doesn’t.
The FFb is not optimised at all. I find some settings that work on one car, I change to another and I find myself needing to change some of the settings to get it to feel right, something I’ve never had to do in any other game or sim.
I occasionally have fun with Pcars but mainly I just swear at it and get frustrated.

I really hope they ditch everything in the current build and start fresh. The current game is ok, I want to like it but there’s so many reasons why I don’t.
The graphics are terrible, I play with best frame rate, I know this makes it look crappy but if I set it for best quality or resolution, it drops frames in the corners or when there’s a lot going on. Even when in best frame rate mode you can see the dynamic resolution kicking in, it looks really bad. I guess sitting further back from the screen you might not notice some of these graphical issues but I’ve for a rig setup and from that distance with a 50” screen it shockingly bad. I thought it would run better on the PS4 Pro, it just doesn’t.
The FFb is not optimised at all. I find some settings that work on one car, I change to another and I find myself needing to change some of the settings to get it to feel right, something I’ve never had to do in any other game or sim.
I occasionally have fun with Pcars but mainly I just swear at it and get frustrated.

I don't understand those comments at all - I use a 50 inch screen with a PS4 Pro and like the graphics. I race the cars on default settings and don't fiddle with the FFB - I haven't touched FFB in about a year. For me personally I'm looking for more polish, less extreme puddle effects, custom championships and continued building on the Historic classes within the game especially GTA, B and C, Group A, 4, 5 and 6, GT1, more historic F1 and Can Am content.

I hope that they aren't too ambitious, because that will probably lead to a bad game. The current game needs refinement and polish. The new game is probably a very long way off as it must surely be next console.

PCars2 has all the ingredients to be the best sim, but for whatever reason, it never fulfilled it's potential in my opinion.

The biggest issue I had with it was the online infrastructure was unstable to the point of making it hugely frustrating. I signed up for a TCR championship but we abandoned it as the issues were so bad.
Despite PCars2 having terrific dynamic time and weather functionality I was always drawn back to Assetto Corsa.

When Ian Bell came here to promote the game he said the primary focus was bug fixes and a robust QA system, but that didn't totally ring through in the end. There was an improvement but not to the level Ian suggested there would be.

For me the focus for PCars3 should be quality. They have sufficient features, and obviously the roster will grow, but ensure what you have functions as intended and don't worry about having big numbers to put on the box and marketing material.

I could see PCars3 being a PS4 game but getting a PS5 release near the console launch.

Last edited:
I could see PCars3 being a PS4 game but getting a PS5 release near the console launch.

That is a good thought and I hope it is right as if it played OK on a PS4 Pro I would be able to delay getting a PS5. I didn't get a PS4 until the Pro was launched and would want to delay getting another console for as long as possible.

I agree with everything else you've said apart from about Asetto Corsa which I find dull to play and very poor graphically - to me it looks like a PS3 game. I do however love the Porsche 718 RS60 Spyder!

I believe they will fill in the gaps of types of racing. Offered two drift cars but no drift type racing system, offered Australian supercars but no other cars available. I think if they somehow encompassed all flavours of motorsport it would ratchet it up a whole new notch.

A refinement of what's already in the game (in all aspects), coupled with the much requested custom championship* with a few new features would probably be more than enough. However, most of us gamers are fickle creatures and I suspect they will need to bring more to the table than just that to get enough people opening their wallets.

Although I've dropped out of sim-racing now, the one feature I always missed (and I had requested for both pCARS1 and 2, but understood that requesting something doesn't mean it will get implemented) was the ability to choose whatever units of measurement I wanted. I found the simple "imperial vs metric" frustrating. I want speed in mph, boost pressure in bar, tyre pressures in psi, ride heights in mm, torque in ft/lb etc etc.

* EDIT: forgot to add, I couldn't care less about the custom championship feature myself, I just know that it's a highly requested feature. 99.99% of my time in pCARS2 was spent in time-trial, MP and taking screenshots. I launched the 1st race of the career mode just to see if it worked, prior to the game releasing.

I spent hours on end in the time trial mode and taking pics as well lol

Are u in FlickR?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161034286@N06/

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel sad for SMS. The people who work there are clearly talented and care so much about car and track design, but if everything does not come together in the end than all of that is for nothing. It is like having all the jigsaw parts but it does not result in the colorful picture. If Ian starts out with that tag line at this point PC3 will be no different.

Bought PC2 on release day, not played it since GT Sport was released. Did it turn out ok in the end?
Yes. Actually I thought it was OK at the start.
I won’t bother with it until I see some solid reviews.
I like it. Will that do?
;)

If Ian starts out with that tag line at this point PC3 will be no different.
I can see your point and agree that hopefully they don't over reach, but he's got to big the game up. He's not going to generate much enthusiasm by saying "PC3, it's probably sort of going to be ok."

Back