Slightly Mad Studios Confirms New Project CARS Title is In Development

If others had their way, players like him and me who enjoy driving roadcars should just "go play Forza or Gran Turismo," leaving PCARS for the crowd who only want racecars in their sim and feel like roadcars don't belong.
If the game was solely built for me, it wouldn't have road cars either because I like racecars. But it's bigger than that. Some people like driving the Ford GT. Others the GTE. Some like driving the Honda Civic. I'd rather have a race car. But the game isn't just for me. It's for you guys too and sometimes I actually like having a small drive of the Honda Civic. It's a surprisingly fun car to drive and I wouldn't know that if there was solely racecars in game.

Somebody else having something is not an excuse for us to not have it. If anything, it's a motivation to have what they have because some people like what they have. You take everything surrounding GT's livery editor and put it into every racing game, I'd be happy with it and I'd have a lot of fun making my amateur liveries and looking around at what talented people can do.

@jake2013guy -- Realism is fun; more realism than you will ever get from the likes of FM or GT. If there was a game like Forza Horizon or The Crew that was as realistic and dynamic as PCARS, I would be playing that to drive realistic roadcars instead of a circuit-based racing game where they don't necessarily "belong". There is no such thing, so here I am. If I could have a game like that, I would not mind PCARS being exclusively about racecars new and old.

It's another similar case with oval racing fans. Oval racing bores me to death, but that's no reason to tell oval racing fans to go play iRacing.

I hope they make money, that wasn't my point.
They said they are taking away the sandbox to make the game more 'fun' yet I've never heard anyone complain about the sandbox factor.
Usually when a game company does that it means it will be entirely focused on one or a few modes.
I think you will end up getting a game focused on a career mode and the track list will be cut as its does not fit the narrative etc (also saves money on licensing)

We're not 'taking away the sandbox'... we're just adding more of a structured fun game to the mix.

Estimate of timeline to title? Are we waiting for next gen consoles?

It was January 2017 if I remember correctly when Ian announced 2, we had it 9 months later.

Can PC guys get in early?

Apologies for a run on post but GT Planet have forgiven me for this in the past...

We're still at the design on paper stage... This is very early pre-production.

Let's hope so, same with audio.
I'm hopeful because you have my man Rushy on board now, who's responsible for some of my favourite gaming moments.

Not just Rushy, we have about 8 of that epic team aboard now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for a run on post but GT Planet have forgiven me for this in the past...

We're still at the design on paper stage... This is very early pre-production.

Is there a vague expected timeline for a WMD3, assuming there is one?

Last edited:
First of all I want to wish you all the very best for 2019.

Had to catch up a few pages and I find it rather amusing how different the wishes on this forum alone are, let alone those of the entire potential racing community. Whether it's the car or track selection, the sandbox vs grind experience or one of the other discussions. And all of this based on basically zero information. It also shows how hard it is to create a good game for many people.

Without trying to read too much into the few lines Ian has posted here I'm guessing they are going to try to make the game more appealing to a larger market, probably creating the opportunity to play the game even more the way you like it. Creating a game with even more options and possibilities automatically creates a larger market, but one of course has to be careful that every option gets worked out well.

Let's give the example of offline racing. It would provide plenty of opportunities if they would include the options to:
1) career, based on how we currently know it
2) custom race weekend, basically the same of how it is now
3) custom championships
4) the grind experience, start in car X (and Y and Z for that matter) and earn credits, xp or whatever to unlock new vehicles to race with

I think the above is rather easy to implement in a game and would make at least every offline racer a potential customer.

First of all I want to wish you all the very best for 2019.

Had to catch up a few pages and I find it rather amusing how different the wishes on this forum alone are, let alone those of the entire potential racing community. Whether it's the car or track selection, the sandbox vs grind experience or one of the other discussions. And all of this based on basically zero information. It also shows how hard it is to create a good game for many people.

Without trying to read too much into the few lines Ian has posted here I'm guessing they are going to try to make the game more appealing to a larger market, probably creating the opportunity to play the game even more the way you like it. Creating a game with even more options and possibilities automatically creates a larger market, but one of course has to be careful that every option gets worked out well.

Let's give the example of offline racing. It would provide plenty of opportunities if they would include the options to:
1) career, based on how we currently know it
3) custom championships
4) the grind experience, start in car X (and Y and Z for that matter) and earn credits, xp or whatever to unlock new vehicles to race with

I think the above is rather easy to implement in a game and would make at least every offline racer a potential customer.

You're not far off Mr Blob. But don't forget the 'blowing everything else, by anyone else, out of the water' part :)

I'd like to see the implementation of different qualifying formats such as a custom knockout and other formats used in other series such as average, fastest or total time over X laps replicating former F1 styles and the Indy 500.

Even mix it up within a season like IndyCar does with a knockout format for road/street. Fastest of 2 laps at ovals not Indy and the average over 4 at Indy.

And multiple races per round with a potential for a separate qualifying session, reversed grid and things like that.

Of course, implemented in online with increased lobby counts.

Last edited:
I would also prefer to keep an option in where you can unlock all the cars at the start. This is a big thing for me to buy one game over another (although I do end up buying them all eventually!) As someone who likes a mix of all cars I really do not like grinding race after race just to get another car. Other racing games I have so many cars locked still I will never get to even try them.

I know it is a long way off but with Rushy and team behind the scenes now, maybe the photo mode will get re-worked. ;) Looking forward to it and I will be pre- order day 1 on PC/PS4Pro for sure having enjoyed Shift1/2, Pcars1/2 so much. :cheers:

I just hope that all content from Project Cars 2 will carry over to Project Cars 3 :) don’t start from scratch. ;)

I would also prefer to keep an option in where you can unlock all the cars at the start.
Or allow all cars to be used in race weekend/online play with a rental percentage fee for cars you haven't bought but still being able to do everything bar changing parts. They could also completely separate the modes.

Tone and direction are very powerful tools when used properly and can ultimately decide what sort of audience your game is catered towards. If executed properly, pCars 3 will not only double down on its promise to provide players with a high level of fidelity and realism, but it'll also breathe new life to the series by giving it a personality that encourages the very reason we all play video games in the first place - to have fun.

Sounds good!

Personally I don't know enough about racing games to know what makes them fun for other people, but with the Historic Le Mans track and Porsche and Ferrari DLC SMS really showed what they can do. I am hoping for more of this in the next game - i.e. top quality Historic Tracks and Race Cars.

I hope that SMS don't copy Kunos because such a narrowly focussed title would be of no interest to me or the people I race with.

I just hope that all content from Project Cars 2 will carry over to Project Cars 3 :) don’t start from scratch. ;)
In the interest of "not biting off more than [they] can properly chew and digest" while taking a cue from Shift 2 Unleashed, I would be happy if many of the existing roster of racecars were supplemented by their road-going (homologation) versions, which could presumably be done with less effort (or licensing hassles) than all-new cars, particularly for older racecars. Perhaps those cars could then be "race modified" into the racecars, like how it worked in S2U.

That alone would multiply the number of cars I would be happiest to drive. There are several favorites of mine in PCARS2 that are stuck with slick tires and limited steering lock, that I would rather drive on street tires with factory steering -- going sideways some of the time. :) The physics and tire model deserve to be put to use with those looser-handling street legal models!

The historic stuff is great and I really hope they build on that. Those vintage machines and tracks are simply what made motorsport great. If SMS could even digg a bit deeper and go to the early periods of GP racing and rebuild some stuff from there (1914 - 1937) that certainly would blew my mind.

Next to that I would love to see Matra making an appearance and finally get Peugeot licensed for PCARS3.

You can still be a sim and try to be forgiving or "fun"(whatever that means),just look at Gran Turismo(i consider GT a sim but it's a sim that knows when to give you a hand)

Not just Rushy, we have about 8 of that epic team aboard now.
Oh boy.

giphy.gif

I'm thinking outside of the box here but I could rather enjoy a monetized career that locks vehicles in Project Cars.
It would add longevity and create in game goals/rewards.

It's been years since a proper fully loaded Gran Turismo, imagine an old school GT with good physics, weather, day night the thought raises my eyebrow in a good way.

DC is still good fun to play and was a bit of a technical showcase for PS4. Hopefully the members of that team can spruce up the madness engine a bit, although I have no idea how that kinda stuff works, but I'm eager to see the results .

DC has been to me best arcade racer since pgr4. I love Driveclub, and one could only dream of a Driveclub game with PC2 street tyre physics.

Driveclub didn't fail because Evolution but because of Sony, and the fact they killed the studios just to keep feeding that completely outdated Yamauchi dinosaur burnt me to the ground, and still sours my mind a couple of years later.

Evolution studios was responsible for best rally games, specially wrc2003 for the ps2 even to this day, and Driveclub was a blast. Respect to those guys

You mean stuff from the team that has launch two fail games in the last 4 years DC/Onrush

And got one studio close down and was fire by the other :rolleyes::(

I really like Asseto Corsa, my favourite racing game by far now. But man... DriveClub was amazingly fun. I still like the game, shame the studio got sutted down.

Pcars 1 i played it A LOT, the second only for a couple of hours. The potential for Pcars is huge, but i want to see a better reaction when the car ia oversteering/drifting, it doesn't feel right on both games.
And a better FFB. My wheel feels too "clunky" when playing Pcars 2(using a T500)

You mean stuff from the team that has launch two fail games in the last 4 years DC/Onrush

And got one studio close down and was fire by the other :rolleyes::(

DC is great. It had rough start but it turn out as great spiritual successor to PGR series. I hope we will see this great road track designs in ProjectCars 3. DC has one of the best road tracks designs ever in racing games. I would love to drive those with more sim physics.

Onrush also isn't bad. I played it from PS Plus. It is great funny game. I think Evolution Studios is very talented, I am happy that these people are in SMS.

I'm thinking outside of the box here but I could rather enjoy a monetized career that locks vehicles in Project Cars.
It would add longevity and create in game goals/rewards.

It's been years since a proper fully loaded Gran Turismo, imagine an old school GT with good physics, weather, day night the thought raises my eyebrow in a good way.

I second this. It's been too long. I want to feel like I've earned the right to drive faster machines.

I'm interested to see what is planned for the controller design of the Mad Box. Would the layout be best suited to racing games?

Back