Slightly Mad Studios Donates £48,000 to WaterAid Charity

I'm too cynical these days to be praising these sorts of PR stunts. Sure, if they had made the donation & told nobody about it I'd see it as being absolutely genuine if the story came out naturally. However, the fact that they are blowing their own trumpet about it tells another story all together. I'm glad the charity has got a donation, though seeing a company biggin' themselves up over it is distasteful to me (reminds me of the Smashie & Nicey charity sketch).

VBR
I'm too cynical these days to be praising these sorts of PR stunts. Sure, if they had made the donation & told nobody about it I'd see it as being absolutely genuine if the story came out naturally. However, the fact that they are blowing their own trumpet about it tells another story all together. I'm glad the charity has got a donation, though seeing a company biggin' themselves up over it is distasteful to me (reminds me of the Smashie & Nicey charity sketch).

As far as I'm concerned as long as the check clears Ian can use it to stroke his ego all he wants.

Having said that, hopefully he did his research as there are quite a few "charities" that are awfully profitable for being a charity.

VBR

Agreed. This paired with the whole M-Box thing just screams publicity stunt. Like Northstar said, there are plenty of legit charities in place.

VBR

You must be a blast at parties. 👍

There's no mention of it on the SMS site, none on the official Twitter either. Ian Bell mentioned it on his personal one — and clarified in the text that it was the WMD members that donated.

Agreed. This paired with the whole M-Box thing just screams publicity stunt. Like Northstar said, there are plenty of legit charities in place.

The charity is "highly rated", and only just missed out on the 4/4 star rating for the first time in six years.

As mentioned above — and in the article itself — that the donation came from SMS by way of the WMD program, so this came from regular folks that helped fund past games.

VBR

I couldn't agree with this more! 👍

So many people do charity these days as a PR stunt. They do something charitable then plaster it all over social media like some sort of saint waiting for the praise to flood in. The fact that you have heard about this gives a wiff of an ulterior motive.... and its boxed shaped!

If they made donations without people hearing about it then that's the true charity right there.

I couldn't agree with this more! 👍

So many people do charity these days as a PR stunt. They do something charitable then plaster it all over social media like some sort of saint waiting for the praise to flood in. The fact that you have heard about this gives a wiff of an ulterior motive.... and its boxed shaped!

If they made donations without people hearing about it then that's the true charity right there.
Did you read the article or are you just posting off replies in the thread? The reason I’m asking is because it reads out more like an acknowledgment and thank you to his community rather a boasting of good doing.

If I was contributing money to something, I’d be glad to know where my money actually went.

Did you read the article or are you just posting off replies in the thread?

And yet I'm the only one in the thread that has to answer, OK.

The bottom line is regardless of how sincere it actually was the world we live in has made many sceptical of such a gesture as too often individuals and companies do it for image reasons and the timing of this donation particularly in relation to them doesn't exactly alleviate those thoughts. Publicly acknowledging it is a good as boasting imo, couldn't send a dm?

And yet I'm the only one in the thread that has to answer, OK.

The bottom line is regardless of how sincere it actually was the world we live in has made many sceptical of such a gesture as too often individuals and companies do it for image reasons and the timing of this donation particularly in relation to them doesn't exactly alleviate those thoughts. Publicly acknowledging it is a good as boasting imo, couldn't send a dm?
You don’t have to answer at all. Not sure why it’s such an issue if it’s you or anyone else? If it’s such an issue to have to explain your point of view then maybe refrain from making it public.

A DM? To who exactly? You’re saying it’ll be better to individually send a private message to the many, many WMD members? That sounds ridiculous. When you get a memo from your boss that employes over 100 people, you’d expect an individual email to every single person? I’m not sure why that would make sense to do at all.

I ask again, did you even read the article? Because many times he talks about this only happening because of the contributions that his community made, not him specifically, as if he’s boasting about his own money and good doings. Not only that, but how exactly is it boasting if the organization he donated too were the ones that are writing about it, and reaching out to him for a quote about it? Did he blast it all over every social media outlet?? Because I haven’t seen it.

Last edited:
You don’t have to answer at all. Not sure why it’s such an issue if it’s you or anyone else? If it’s such an issue to have to explain your point of view then maybe refrain from making it public.

I don't have a problem explaining my point of view, it was the fact that my post of specifically singled out when you could have just asked openly why those that had that point of view had it.

A DM? To who exactly? You’re saying it’ll be better to individually send a private message to the many, many WMD members? That sounds ridiculous. When you get a memo from your boss that employes over 100 people, you’d expect an individual email to every single person? I’m not sure why that would make sense to do at all.

I said DM because I use the term openly to describe non public messaging, but anything that's private... memo, group email, etc., based on whatever size of the group that needed to be thanked would have sufficed over public means. That's all I'm trying to say.

I ask again, did you even read the article? Because many times he talks about this only happening because of the contributions that his community made, not him specifically, as if he’s boasting about his own money and good doings. Not only that, but how exactly is it boasting if the organization he donated too were the ones that are writing about it, and reaching out to him for a quote about it? Did he blast it all over every social media outlet?? Because I haven’t seen it.

Yes and I don't buy it when companies that are trying to launch a new console and are doing other attention seeking behaviour on the internet at the same time suddenly donate a large sum to charity, regardless of how it's worded and who spoke about it first. The whole thing about social media is word spreads, so putting it out there knowing its going to go viral (it ended up being a story on here) is as good as intending to have it 'plastered everywhere'. Whether its the charity or them wanting the PR they both got it.

Again, when the charity wanted to reach out to him... couldn't do it through email? he couldn't have asked for the donation to be anonymous? Frankly, too much stuff which can be done privately is being done publicly on the internet these days because of the 'if everyone doesn't see it didn't happen' syndrome.

I don't have a problem explaining my point of view, it was the fact that my post of specifically singled out when you could have just asked openly why those that had that point of view had it.
Why should I have to? It reminds me of when people get mad that they got pulled over for speeding, but use the excuse "Well, there was other people speeding too!"

There were two posts with the same line of thought that had effort in it. The other was addressed, so again, if you have an issue with being asked to expand your opinion, than maybe don't post it. You're not singled out, it's easier to get a reply from someone when you post to them directly rather than making an open post. You likely wouldn't even have seen it if I didn't, so that's another reason. What you're doing is unnecessary.

I said DM because I use the term openly to describe non public messaging, but anything that's private... memo, group email, etc., based on whatever size of the group that needed to be thanked would have sufficed over public means. That's all I'm trying to say.
Oh, so it's what you meant, not exactly what you said. What did he do to make this public? Did he go shouting it from rooftops?

Yes and I don't buy it when companies that are trying to launch a new console and are doing other attention seeking behaviour on the internet at the same time suddenly donate a large sum to charity, regardless of how it's worded and who spoke about it first.
What? How does that even make sense? So if someone made public some good deed I did, than I'm the bad guy for it being public because that means I'm looking for attention? Like @SlipZtrEm said, the only place it was ever mentioned was on his personal account, slightly. If he was truly trying to seek attention and get notice towards what he's doing, it would make sense to post it everywhere he can, especially on the actual SMS accounts and website. Is that happening? Who's making this more public, him, or all these articles about it?

I'm not onboard with his game console. I don't even understand why they'd attempt it, but what you're saying doesn't make sense to me.

Again, when the charity wanted to reach out to him... couldn't do it through email? he couldn't have asked for the donation to be anonymous? Frankly, too much stuff which can be done privately is being done publicly on the internet these days because of the 'if everyone doesn't see it didn't happen' syndrome.
:lol:

Yeah you're right man! Maybe he payed them a little extra so they can publicize it huh!? I think you're on to something!

Last edited:
LETS GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT T12.

It isn't SMS donating the money, It's us WMD members.

It was put out that the last payment for our share of PCars 1 would be hardly worth cashing and thus did we want to donate it to charity instead? If we wanted we could still cash it but a load of us (me included) donated.

So there. We donated, not them.

It was put out that the last payment for our share of PCars 1 would be hardly worth cashing and thus did we want to donate it to charity instead? If we wanted we could still cash it but a load of us (me included) donated.

Watch out, the Donation Police are going to come after you for making that public.

Thank you for clarifying that. The news GT Planet headline should've read, "World of Mass Development Donates £48,000 to WaterAid Charity" instead.

VBR
Thank you for clarifying that. The news GT Planet headline should've read, "World of Mass Development Donates £48,000 to WaterAid Charity" instead.
Good thing they clarified that plenty of times in the article.

Although, I guess just an article title is enough to damn a person entirely.

Wow, that's at least two people that didn't read the article. As ratios go, I'd say that's pretty good. 👍

You're not singled out, it's easier to get a reply from someone when you post to them directly rather than making an open post.

But you totally have, even in your subsequent mocking tone you have. 3 people liked the initial statement (that I didn't even make) yet you didn't reach out to them. You said you shouldn't have to, then why ask me to reply (which I have done) and still be asking me for further replies? Sounds less like "easier to get a reply from someone" and more like "eaiser to bait someone".

I've explained in more than enough detail why I agreed with the initial statement. I don't care if they spread it, the charity spread it or the news outlets spread it and I don't care who actually donated the money, it did the rounds on the internet and I felt the timing and coverage of the gesture made it insincere regarding them as a company.

But you totally have, even in your subsequent mocking tone you have. 3 people liked the initial statement (that I didn't even make) yet you didn't reach out to them. You said you shouldn't have to, then why ask me to reply (which I have done) and still be asking me for further replies? Sounds less like "easier to get a reply from someone" and more like "eaiser to bait someone".

I've explained in more than enough detail why I agreed with the initial statement. I don't care if they spread it, the charity spread it or the news outlets spread it and I don't care who actually donated the money, it did the rounds on the internet and I felt the timing and coverage of the gesture made it insincere regarding them as a company.
Jesus Christ this is too much. If you don’t want your public opinion criticized, especially when it comes across as you not even have read the article, then don’t post it. Simple as that. People liked the comment? And you’re expecting me to post to them because of that? That sounds so ridiculous that I’m not even sure why one would even bring that up. It’s your opinion not theirs.

It’s simple. If you don’t want someone to quote your responses than don’t post them. You’re literally one of two people to post in such a way. Stop playing victim and get over it.

Last edited:
If someone was to actually click on the links in the article they'd find the donation from WMD via SMS seems to have been given in mid December - probably sooner since that's when the article was dated. You're only just hearing about it now and come to that if it wasn't on the news page you probably wouldn't have heard about it at all. So it's not as if it's being shouted from the rooftops, it's just an acknowledgment.

Anyway.
Marcus Missen, from WaterAid, said:
“Just £15 can get one person clean water; and so the money raised by Slightly Mad Studios really will make a big difference to lives around the world.”
Many, including myself, just take turning the tap on for granted. So well done to the WMD guys, who donated, and to SMS. That's hopefully 3200 extra people with clean water who'd, I expect, still be grateful even for PR stunts!

Good for who got the money.

The donation was made in December maybe and it was public in the WaterAid website.

Ian is known for not having any respect for his costumers, for his products, for trading some dumb words with costumers, even when the costumer was asking for help and blaming others for his failures.

Now he cares for something? That's new.
So it's easy to think this was a stunt.

Do they usually do stuff like this? Or when there's a new game and new console to be announced?

Ian is known for not having any respect for his costumers,
for trading some dumb words with costumers, even when the costumer was asking for help and blaming others for his failures.
So I'm confused, are they the wrong sizes or do the costumers provide Ian with
garments and outfits with textures and colors that he didn't ask for?
What are the costumers doing wrong exactly and does Ian perform in theatre with these costumes?
It's the first time I'm hearing about all this, very surprising to me.

This reminds me of when Kaz did the ice bucket challenge thing for raising awareness for the neurological disease and a bunch of responses were along the lines of "I guess we know what they've been doing instead of fixing GT6."

Last edited:
So I'm confused, are they the wrong sizes or do the costumers provide Ian with
garments and outfits with textures and colors that he didn't ask for?
What are the costumers doing wrong exactly and does Ian perform in theatre with these costumes?
It's the first time I'm hearing about all this, very surprising to me.

Oh I see what you did there!
It was a bit funny actually, cause I didn't got it at first. XD

I just hope you wrote that just as a joke cause it was a good one and not because you got butt hurt for what I said about Ian, because if that was the case, im not from any place with English as first language, so in a forum with people from all around the world, even if I wrote like Tarzan like so many do, no one would really care.

OK, maybe you would care. But then again, no one would care that you care.

So

78257d5d76f66c39b588e7180bee6512

Back