SNAIL - Endurance Series (Archive)

• Thread starter BradESPN
  • 3,788 comments
Id say if they are a friend of snail yes but not straight randoms that wont know what type of league we are.
I agree with that there has to be some kind of knowledge of how we like to race so we don't have the troll aspect its gonna be rough enough racing all out for 90 mins I don't want to see anyone get pissed off and ruin the whole race in the last 5 mins just because

Imo no.
Too much at stake to risk as asshole.

You could be nicer about it than that. How about suggesting they simply become a member?

Nicer or not, it could be a valid point. I will say it's a bold statement from a guy that raced once on Sunday night and is no longer an active member of SNAIL.

To be constructive, you're going to need some type of vetting process to allow drivers to race. That could be that they come with a recommendation from someone already in the series or they are asked to show up to a practice session. Whatever you decide to do, you'll need to come up with a process and be consistent with it.

Nicer or not, it could be a valid point. I will say it's a bold statement from a guy that raced once on Sunday night and is no longer an active member of SNAIL.

To be constructive, you're going to need some type of vetting process to allow drivers to race. That could be that they come with a recommendation from someone already in the series or they are asked to show up to a practice session. Whatever you decide to do, you'll need to come up with a process and be consistent with it.

It was meant in the sense that somebody who is seeking out an endurance lobby has already shown a certain commitment to keeping it clean and respectful.
A random pub join that came without referral could just be a random troll. I've had people at SR S rated FIA lobbies wait for the leaders and purposely wreck them.

Also re my membership status, when I signed up I thought I could make Sundays work, but Sunday evening has kindve turned into father daughter time lately, thus why I've been so interested in a weekday version.

It was meant in the sense that somebody who is seeking out an endurance lobby has already shown a certain commitment to keeping it clean and respectful.
A random pub join that came without referral could just be a random troll. I've had people at SR S rated FIA lobbies wait for the leaders and purposely wreck them.

Also re my membership status, when I signed up I thought I could make Sundays work, but Sunday evening has kindve turned into father daughter time lately, thus why I've been so interested in a weekday version.

I didn't mean anything negative by my comment. I just found it a little ironic.

Your point is well taken and well understood by me. I've run many race series and one off events in my time and know the importance of screening those that will be racing.

Because we are calling this the Snail Endurance League(Is that what it is officially?) I think anyone showing interest in the league should be required to review the OLR, Policies and Guidelines, just like with spec series racing here. As far as that goes, why not make it mandatory to become a member regardless of which series they're interested in, Spec or Endurance, and this way the endurance can possibly work as a recruiting tool for spec series and vice versa??? All they'll have to do to convert from Endurance to Spec is the time trial, and basically nothing to switch from Spec to Endurance. Thoughts??

Because we are calling this the Snail Endurance League(Is that what it is officially?) I think anyone showing interest in the league should be required to review the OLR, Policies and Guidelines, just like with spec series racing here. As far as that goes, why not make it mandatory to become a member regardless of which series they're interested in, Spec or Endurance, and this way the endurance can possibly work as a recruiting tool for spec series and vice versa??? All they'll have to do to convert from Endurance to Spec is the time trial, and basically nothing to switch from Spec to Endurance. Thoughts??

I think that's something to implement in the future, but we haven't seen what kind've turnout we'll get this week.
If we only have 7-8 drivers, I think allowing more drivers if somebody in the lobby can vouch for them is a good idea.
Until we know what kind've turnout we're going to have - hard to say.

Having someone join SNAIL involves becoming having active member status for Sunday night racing. Having drivers join who have no intention of running on Sunday night skews driver counts and makes a general mess of the drivers list. Requiring a reading and acknowledgement of the OLR is fine. You guys can even set up a couple of questions to ensure that a new driver is reading it if you want to but having them join SNAIL just to run the endurance series isn't something that would be logistically feasible.

I think that's something to implement in the future, but we haven't seen what kind've turnout we'll get this week.
If we only have 7-8 drivers, I think allowing more drivers if somebody in the lobby can vouch for them is a good idea.
Until we know what kind've turnout we're going to have - hard to say.
All I know is that I've been in plenty of rooms where someone was "vouched" for, and it doesn't always turn out too good, but I know everyone has to start somewhere, so yeah.

Having someone join SNAIL involves becoming having active member status for Sunday night racing. Having drivers join who have no intention of running on Sunday night skews driver counts and makes a general mess of the drivers list. Requiring a reading and acknowledgement of the OLR is fine. You guys can even set up a couple of questions to ensure that a new driver is reading it if you want to but having them join SNAIL just to run the endurance series isn't something that would be logistically feasible.
As far as the whole Snail member thing skewing numbers, all I was trying to do was use this as a recruitment tool, but if that causes issues I get it, but why are we calling this Snail at all then? It's not like anyone joining the endurance series will be a Snail member, if they're not willing to race Sunday evenings, by what you're suggesting here. I'm not familiar with GT1 series, but is it manditory for those drivers to be active Sunday night racers, or do they not have to be Snail members? I honestly don't know.

The GT1 series, and most other series that have run under the SNAIL umbrella, have maintained their own member list. Drivers who race in each individual series would be considered members of the SNAIL GT1 series or SNAIL Endurance series. Each series has had their own process for membership. Some require a message and a time trial, some had full time and part time status similar to what is used on Sunday nights and some have only been open to currently active or previously active Sunday night members.

It all comes down to how this series wants to manage their membership and what process it wants to implement to vet it's new members. My only point was that it's not necessary, or even desired from a logistical standpoint, for someone who wants to join the endurance series to have to join the Sunday night series.

What are the thoughts on any type of cautions to “bunch the field up”? If it’s one big race then maybe bunch the field up for last 20 minutes? If you make it that far on the lead lap then you have a shot to win the thing?

We'll keep these topics up for debate, but for the purposes of tonight let's go with this:

Rolling vs. Grid: Rolling
Non-SNAILs Allowed: Nope (unless they've posted here or someone can vouch for them in the lobby)
Oh wait.....one more thing Brad.......

I hope to join in on tonight’s fun. If I can stay awak long enough. Haha. I will have a keyboard.
...........No D1 drivers:nervous:.......Lol, just kidding :D

What are the thoughts on any type of cautions to “bunch the field up”? If it’s one big race then maybe bunch the field up for last 20 minutes? If you make it that far on the lead lap then you have a shot to win the thing?

No way! Takes away from the strategy side of things imo

Not a fan of this either, the point of endurance is that it becomes different from a sprint race - different skill set.
No point of bunching us up on purpose just to create a sprint race after 70 minutes of racing.

I'm hitting pretty consistent 1.52:8XX - 1.53:2XX lap times but haven't hit a 1.50 yet.

You'll find a good chunk of time in turn 1.
Another area is the first of the double rights in sector 2 - the first corner can be taken without brakes, almost full speed.
130R at the beginning of sector 3 is full speed.

Here is a good video that helped me - the video is done with BoP on and RH tires (when Suzuka gr.2 was the daily race I think? or FIA - can't remember)

I practiced a little last night, I can drive a mid 1.50 on RH, but I was not consistent - I feel like over the course of 90 minutes I'm going to mow half of the grass on the circuit.

I'm hitting pretty consistent 1.52:8XX - 1.53:2XX lap times but haven't hit a 1.50 yet.

Same here. I have gotten to a 1:50 but for me to even drive consistent for 1.5 hrs Im sure towards the end I will be closed to 1:55. I had a problem with consistency at 1:52.

If you can find a good rhythm with the track as to where your not pushing 100% but still (say this combo 1:52.x ) maintain a consistant lap time you will progress. Also not strain your concentration being on edge every turn.

Just bought the car but havent driven it yet. Ill do my best to stay out of the way. How will I find this lobby to get in?

Just bought the car but havent driven it yet. Ill do my best to stay out of the way. How will I find this lobby to get in?
Probably easiest to just friend me on PSN (and then filter to only show friends’ lobbies), but I’ll also post the room ID here.

Probably easiest to just friend me on PSN (and then filter to only show friends’ lobbies), but I’ll also post the room ID here.

Okay, thanks. You're on my friends list now.

Ran 4 laps. Low 1:52s was my best. I' not supremely confident about pace but will focus on car control, contact avoidance and staying consistent. Should be a fun race.

Okay, thanks. You're on my friends list now.

Ran 4 laps. Low 1:52s was my best. I' not supremely confident about pace but will focus on car control, contact avoidance and staying consistent. Should be a fun race.

1:52s are good laps...it's staying consistent is what's key. I when off the track a few times when we tested the other night and that's what I was running:(

Back