**COMPLETED ** SNAIL Gr4-MPCC Season 1 Champions: GTR4MROD(GS)/ MrDonovan(TCR)

• Thread starter llNovall
  • 1,184 comments
All points I agree with. THe money to truely enjoy the real iracing experience can get you on the track most weekends BUT real car maintenance cost is where iracing wins the cost battle. At least that is the going argument for iracing. I still see the cost of seat time vs. cost as my issue with it. Since I am trying to do stage rally cost vs. seat time can almost be the same as I would get on iracing as you only get seat time in a rally car on rally stages. I would rather do the real thing than pay monthly payments and never play. Plus buy a rig just for playing iracing.

I've been debating buying a PC and proper rig vs. real world racing. Living in Northern Alberta means the karting season is about 15 minutes long, so the value for money plummets compared to a budget PC setup that I can use all year round. But on the other hand, you can spend untold amounts of money on a sim rig to achieve the realism of a $1500 4-cycle secondhand kart.

On balance, I think I'd prefer karting to sim racing even if I had the means for a high-end iracing rig. Also, real world racing offers a further element that sim racing will NEVER offer: physically attacking fellow drivers!

I've been debating buying a PC and proper rig vs. real world racing. Living in Northern Alberta means the karting season is about 15 minutes long, so the value for money plummets compared to a budget PC setup that I can use all year round. But on the other hand, you can spend untold amounts of money on a sim rig to achieve the realism of a $1500 4-cycle secondhand kart.

On balance, I think I'd prefer karting to sim racing even if I had the means for a high-end iracing rig. Also, real world racing offers a further element that sim racing will NEVER offer: physically attacking fellow drivers!

Indeed. Which is why I am biting the bullet and trying to do the real thing even if I only get to make 1 or 2 events per year. That experience is way better than I could ever try to get on a sim.

I love sim racing but I have another issue with it also. While it is no question that doing any type of racing in real life is not cheap, sim racing can possibly hurt the real life counterpart. Local tracks need people on them to stay open, which is why club racing and track days exist. But if money is spent more on the sim world than in the real world then those tracks could end up closing doors. Club racing could also end up hurting. I realize it is an umbrella statement but it's not too far off base. It's a subject I would love to sit down and talk to people about to hear different opinions on the matter. Mainly because trying to do it through typing is hard haha.

i was on the middle of a kart season when was paused becuasue the pandemia, i really enjoy karting, but it is more expensive that i imagine, only aquiring helmet, clothes, globes, shoes was about 1000 usd, plus the kart it self, additionally you need to pay storage for the kart at the track, and a mechanics crew, all this monthly, not taking in account gasoline and oil, and of course if you wish an instructor, but at the end I fully recomend the real thing.

i was on the middle of a kart season when was paused becuasue the pandemia, i really enjoy karting, but it is more expensive that i imagine, only aquiring helmet, clothes, globes, shoes was about 1000 usd, plus the kart it self, additionally you need to pay storage for the kart at the track, and a mechanics crew, all this monthly, not taking in account gasoline and oil, and of course if you wish an instructor, but at the end I fully recomend the real thing.

What class of karting do you race in? From your picture it looks like you have a Rotax kart maybe?

Exhibition Event #2
Pre-Race Driver Briefing
Alright gentlemen, it's that time again and we have what looks to be a full grid tomorrow night for our 2nd of 3 Exhibition events. Thank you to everyone who replied and/or confirmed their status for the event.:cheers:.

For Event details, format, and schedule see the link below:
Confirmation Post Exhibition Event #2
The race will step up to 60 minutes to build us up towards the 80 minute races of the series. The race will be 35 laps to equal approx 60 minutes.

The race room will be opened at 9pm est for Open Qualifying/warmup. Race to start at 9:30pm est.

As a reminder, we will be issuing at least 1 Caution on the night whether needed or not, and only one for the night. If you have an incident, per the rules, request as explained in section 4, tab 4.2. Please review and get familiar with the process before the room opens.

All Driver specific BOP Regulations are updated and can be found in post #2. Apply your hp/wgt regulations before entering the room, and let's get ready to race.
Our grid for the night is shown below.
See everyone tomorrow night:cheers:

GS Class
@llNovall
@TEX36
@Rob Brown
@nmcp1
@PrivateSmiles
@LST
@GCimprezaFTW
@Xradkins
@Noob01_lmdead/ rauljimenez76
@CANOWORMS1

TCR Class
@Moby45
@stelephant
@vsfit
@Hellbringer69
@Phlano099
@JLBowler

@Bologna_Duc, @Roman_GT23/ Roman_GT23, @DesertPenguin/ DesertPenguin, -If you guys get a chance, please run some laps at Fuji (Short), 1715 fine weather at 1x tire wear, 2x fuel consumption to stay current and up to date for your specific BOP values. Use the values shown in Post #2 linked here.
Send a screenshot via psn or in the signup pm.

Last edited:
Here is where my setup is at now. Need to get monitors higher or wheel lower.
D10866D7-1196-4557-A313-C743FC1242D1.jpeg

Race Room and Party Chat Open.

All drivers, please enter party chat.

Room ID: 0475 4382 1291 5688 3524

Track is open for qualifying upon room entry.

Race to start at 9:25pm est

I was listening to some of the conversation after the race tonight regarding how to better facilitate cross-class traffic and I just wanted to leave some thoughts. In my opinion, the method we used at Laguna letting TCR go at the start than GS on a delay was a much more effective system than the forced caution to simulate traffic. Now this experience will obviously differ from track to track, but the forced caution didn't have to intended effect of mixing TCR up with GS at least for Xrad, Raul and myself at the front (there may have been more GS behind us I didn't check). We may have caught TCR without the forced caution, but because of it we never had the opportunity to race around the other class. The Laguna method basically guarantees the classes will interact with each other and the potential issue of strategies exploiting the forced caution wouldn't arise. It's possible the forced caution makes a lot more sense for 80 minute races I'm really not sure, but I'd love to hear some other opinions on the matter.

LST
I was listening to some of the conversation after the race tonight regarding how to better facilitate cross-class traffic and I just wanted to leave some thoughts. In my opinion, the method we used at Laguna letting TCR go at the start than GS on a delay was a much more effective system than the forced caution to simulate traffic. Now this experience will obviously differ from track to track, but the forced caution didn't have to intended effect of mixing TCR up with GS at least for Xrad, Raul and myself at the front (there may have been more GS behind us I didn't check). We may have caught TCR without the forced caution, but because of it we never had the opportunity to race around the other class. The Laguna method basically guarantees the classes will interact with each other and the potential issue of strategies exploiting the forced caution wouldn't arise. It's possible the forced caution makes a lot more sense for 80 minute races I'm really not sure, but I'd love to hear some other opinions on the matter.
Very good thoughts, and thanks for putting some ideas out there. Reading your post kind gave me a "light bulb moment". I do have to agree that the Laguna Seca event was not a bad way to start the race and could very well force that situational traffic. Also, I do like the force Caution idea to regroup the field for the 80 minute races. With a 2 Caution per race maximum, maybe we could implement the following:
If 1 Caution is called before the mid race lap, no forced Caution will be issued at mid race, with 1 still available to the field. But if no Cautions are called by the mid race lap, a forced Caution will be issued, leaving 1 left available if needed in the second half of the race. I like this for 2 reasons...1 it will regroup and has the potential to shuffle up the field, and it gives everyone a 5 minute moving breather. I too would like to hear some more thoughts on it, but I do like this idea enough to push it forward.

On the subject of putting the TCR cars out front at the start:
Instead of a standing start TCR launch on green, and then a delayed standing start launch at a set time for GS as we did at Laguna Seca, maybe we work in a 2 class parade lap.
We add 1 lap to the race lap count of the actual 80 minute race for a parade lap.
Grid will be set by host based on qualifying times placing TCR Class at the front in order of Qualifying and then GS Class in order of Qualifying.
When the race countdown timer drops and the lights go green, TCR class cars leave the line to complete a parade lap to start the race at the start/finish line.
GS cars will wait 10 seconds before leaving the grid to complete their parade lap and then start the race at the start/finish line. Both Classes must maintain 75 mph "safety car" speed during the parade lap up to the Start/Finish line before going Green. With a 10 second head start, plus the distance TCR cars create on their earlier start it should put them out around 20-30 seconds. It would take around 10-20 laps for the GS field to catch up and pass unless a caution was called. This would force the traffic scenario, while allowing both classes time to settle in and race themselves before traffic is a factor. Good points, and ideas that can easily be adjusted into the series.

What is accomplished with the parade lap? Sorry if I’m missing the obvious.

What is accomplished with the parade lap? Sorry if I’m missing the obvious.
We would be moving the TCR Class to the front, giving them a headstart. This would give them a proper standing start, but GS Class would have to start on a set time standing start which could get messy if someone jumps. By having the parade lap, TCR could get their headstart, if a GS driver forgot and jumped, it would not be an issue and can easily be corrected, and both classes would have the same starting point at the Start/Finish line. As with the Caution lap leading to a green flag, drivers will be required to parade single file at the set "65 mph safety car speed" until the beginning of the final sector. In the final sector, all cars should collect 2 wide, but still spaced apart until the final corner. Once on the straight, everyone should tighten up to await for the leader to launch at the Start/Finish. Leader will be permitted to accelerate at the Start/finish line. This process will apply to both classes on the parade lap. The plan is to run this on our next Exhibition event on June 12th.

Why not use a rolling start instead of standing. That would solve the jump start (a bit)
I want to give the TCR class a decent head start. Even on a rolling start, GS class would V immediately be on top of them.

Even with the 10 second wait? TCR would start formation lap and Gr.4 would coast for 10 seconds before getting up to formation lap speed. That way TCR crosses the line and goes green, 10 seconds go by, then Gr.4 crosses the line and goes green.

No, I'm saying both classes get a rolling start. Doesn't sound too unusual but do what you think is best.

? Can a host set the grid so TCR is out front if the rolling start is used ? No formation lap needed. I just don’t know about making a time gap between the classes. However, I am not a fan of the rolling start system in GTS.

? Can a host set the grid so TCR is out front if the rolling start is used ? No formation lap needed. I just don’t know about making a time gap between the classes. However, I am not a fan of the rolling start system in GTS.
The idea behind a time gap is to get the TCR group far enough out to settle into some battling/racing before the GS cars are on top of them. I'm not much of a fan of the gts rolling start either...hence why I'd rather just find our own way. Some testing over the next couple of weeks will determine how to bring that staggered start idea in without a full parade lap.

Last edited:
7205778100409337352_0.jpg

Exhibition Event #2
Post Race Report
Thanks to everyone who made it in the grid Friday night :cheers:. I had an opportunity to review and watch the race replay, and while the field did open up into some pockets throughout the race, the races within those pockets were intense and very entertaining. Some driver BOP adjustments will be forthcoming, however, most drivers on the grid were quite even in pace and will remain at their current specs.
Luckily we did not have any incidents that warranted a call for caution, but we did call one to run through the process. While it wasn't perfect, the idea and overall execution was there and is expected to get better with more walk throughs. Still needs some work, but should turn out being a great feature to repack the group when incidents occur.

Some amendments to the Caution Rules and Process:
-A maximum of 2 Cautions per race will remain
-In an 80 minute race, if no Cautions have been called and issued by the halfway point in a race, the Race Director will issue a "Regrouping Caution" to bring the field back together. All drivers will be required to enter the pit lane, but are not required to take tires or fuel. This forced Caution is nearly guaranteed to shake up the field for the second half of the race. 1 Caution would still be available if needed in the second half of the race.
-If a Caution was issued in the first half of the race due to an incident, NO Forced Caution will be issued at the halfway point. 1 Caution would still be available if needed.
The Caution section of the first post will be updated to reflect these changes.
-A reminder to all drivers: the position you are in when the Caution is issued is the position you maintain until you enter pit lane. When you exit pit lane, the position you come out is now your position in the race. Strategy and pit decisions will be a factor.

Also, we will be changing our starting format and will implement the following procedure:
-After qualifying is complete, the Race Director will set the grid with TCR Class cars in the front based on qualifying results, and then the GS Class based on Qualifying results.
-The race will be a Grid Start
*TCR Class will launch as normal
**GS Class will remain stationary for 15 seconds by holding the emergency brake.
-At the 15 second mark on the timer in the middle of the screen, GS Drivers launch as a grid start. (GS drivers will be reminded to keep the car stationary and not jump the timer). -if this occurs, a driver, after launching, can pull to the side to concede all positions as their penalty, or accept a post race penalty of 5 points. Don't jump.

A section outlining the starting procedure will also be added to the 1st post.

The Scoresheet will be complete and added to this post later today, but for now here are some race photos and a replay playback of our race.
Screenshot_20200520-202932_Sheets.jpg

7350456240653207040_0.jpg
7205782500534125056_0.jpg
7214789705694447112_0.jpg
7205782509124060680_0.jpg
7206345449950675464_0.jpg
7206345450084894208_0.jpg
7206345458674828808_0.jpg
7205782508589285896_0.jpg
7214789699254093312_0.jpg
7206345450623862272_0.jpg
7358904887864721928_0.jpg
7349897696663045632_0.jpg
7350460638160749064_0.jpg
7359467835133789704_0.jpg
7359467846005425672_0.jpg
7358904893906616832_0.jpg
7350460645007950344_0.jpg
7350460646752780808_0.jpg
7359467843725821440_0.jpg
7215348249615401480_0.jpg
7205778100409337352_0.jpg

Next Event: Exhibition Event #3 at Lag Maggiore West on June 12th, 9pm est.

Driver BOP sheet will be updated and posted in the coming days. Great racing with all of you and see most of you on the grid this Friday in the Porsches.

Last edited:
I had a good time on Friday. For the most part I was pleased with my driving. Yup, that's as good as it gets. And did you see my BoP? If @llNovall gave me any more of a boost I would be in a Gr 3 BMW. Luckily I was in a GS car, because the only cars I passed were TCR cars and that was quite the challenge. I even had to chance to do that more than once as the occasional grazing expedition would put me DFL yet again.

I totally didn't grasp the big picture idea of the caution was to bunch up the cars and mandatory. Yes! I just reread post #1 and I swear all that bolding and capitalization wasn't there before. In fact in my world that whole paragraph wasn't there before.

I have enough to work on racing SNAIL Spec Sundays and ARL Wednesdays. Many combos are still a serious challenge for me and require considerable practice on my part. The rate of change of combos for Sunday really was me working hard. To that end I would like to be removed from the Reserve list. I think you have an interesting idea going here. And thanks again for the cool "Canadian" livery Nova.

I had a good time on Friday. For the most part I was pleased with my driving. Yup, that's as good as it gets. And did you see my BoP? If @llNovall gave me any more of a boost I would be in a Gr 3 BMW. Luckily I was in a GS car, because the only cars I passed were TCR cars and that was quite the challenge. I even had to chance to do that more than once as the occasional grazing expedition would put me DFL yet again.

I totally didn't grasp the big picture idea of the caution was to bunch up the cars and mandatory. Yes! I just reread post #1 and I swear all that bolding and capitalization wasn't there before. In fact in my world that whole paragraph wasn't there before.

I have enough to work on racing SNAIL Spec Sundays and ARL Wednesdays. Many combos are still a serious challenge for me and require considerable practice on my part. The rate of change of combos for Sunday really was me working hard. To that end I would like to be removed from the Reserve list. I think you have an interesting idea going here. And thanks again for the cool "Canadian" livery Nova.
I appreciate the heads up, and am sorry to see ya back out, but completely understand. This is a long running series, so if you decide later to come back, you already have the livery and your numbers. Btw, towards the end of the race, your pace was in the low-mid 1:41's...plenty enough in the GS group pace. Hope to see you reconsider :cheers:

Latest Posts

Back