Snooker (and other cue sports)

Judd Trump is the new world snooker champion after18 years as a professional.

The 18-9 scoreline in the World Championship final doesn't accurately reflect runner up & 4 time world champion John Higgins' performance, both players were incredible. 11 century breaks were scored in the final, a record for all professional snooker matches ever played.

Trumps performance in the final, & the run up to it, was up there with anything I've ever seen on a snooker table. If I think of the all-time greatest players I've watched, the names that immediately spring to mind are Hendry, Higgins & O'Sullivan. If Trump continues at this standard in the future he could even surpass those names.

"I was the lucky one, I didn't have to pay for a ticket there" said John Higgins in his post match interview, a comment on his opponent's astonishing display.

The players each had a close attempt at the maximum break of 147 in the Monday afternoon session.

Trump becomes the 11th player to achieve the triple crown having now won titles at the World Championship, UK Championship & the Masters.

Mark Williams attended hospital earlier during the tournament with chest pains. I wish him well.

Last edited:
After a year of construction our pool room/man cave is just about complete. Or at least the most important part is ready. :) After 30 years of waiting the dream is finally complete.

And can’t forget to move the racing rig eventually. I’m sure it will be happier in here than the spare bedroom.

AC19C0CB-CBEC-4987-8D85-408E51112014.jpeg

An interesting shot from today.

I feel for him... that’s exactly the kind of luck I have when playing pool :ouch:

Speaking of which, I played American pool at the weekend with my mate, and we were pretty evenly matched... I, however, threw a game in the most ridiculous way... we both had one ball left and he fouled on his shot, leaving me able to place the cue ball anywhere (US rules), and so placed it so I had a pretty unmissable black, albeit with the rest. I duly potted the black, only for my mate to look at me slightly puzzled - that’s when I noticed/remembered that I still had a regular ball to pot first :ouch: Of course, you couldn’t make this mistake in UK pool...

I feel for him... that’s exactly the kind of luck I have when playing pool :ouch:

Speaking of which, I played American pool at the weekend with my mate, and we were pretty evenly matched... I, however, threw a game in the most ridiculous way... we both had one ball left and he fouled on his shot, leaving me able to place the cue ball anywhere (US rules), and so placed it so I had a pretty unmissable black, albeit with the rest. I duly potted the black, only for my mate to look at me slightly puzzled - that’s when I noticed/remembered that I still had a regular ball to pot first :ouch: Of course, you couldn’t make this mistake in UK pool...
I've done that. I had drunk quite a lot of lager though..

Don't click if you plan to watch the Snooker highlights tonight...

John Higgins has just completed his first 147 break at The Crucible.

It's his 10th competitive 147, but it is also the first 147 at the World Championships for 8 years, and only the 11th in history.

the first 147 at the World Championships for 8 years, and only the 11th in history.
I had a feeling he'd made one at the Crucible before, obviously I was wrong.

I'm having a guess at the previous 10:
Thorburn x 1
White x 1
Hendry x 2
O'Sullivan x 3
Carter x 1
Williams x 1
Bingham x 1

Edit:
It was 3 for Hendry and none for Bingham.

Last edited:
Whats going on with the form book?!?

McGill bossing the viking, Trump being beat up, Selby smashing Robertson and O'Sullivans probably in some dodgy betting syndicate, just letting Mark get a headstart.
Although, come on Williams, McGill, Selby and Wilson for the semis, I hope. - Why couldn't Ronnie be playing Selby though.

Although, come on Williams, McGill, Selby and Wilson for the semis, I hope.

Semis decided, I got my wish of Selby playing the Rocket.
It seems that, just like my own, your wishes can vary quickly. :)
That is a great looking fixture on paper.

O'Sullivan expressed doubts about his own mid-to-long game last night after making a few errors in his quarter final. It was a fair observation for somebody of his standard but he's obviously always dangerous. Then he said he loves a semi so hopefully he can sort himself out and be up for it. :embarrassed:

I haven't seen as much of Selby as I'd have liked recently so I'm looking forward to rectifying that.

Edit: I've just spotted this bit.
Why couldn't Ronnie be playing Selby though.
I must have been confused.

Forgot just how much of a tonic it is to watch the World Snooker Championships, but especially at the moment.

Ironically, thanks to COVID-19, I can now watch the snooker at work because I have had to shift my stuff from a shared office to a lab by myself...

...it's awesome :D

The match table seems back up to its usual pace this morning after playing slow last night due to possibly humidity.

He deserves to lose after that.

This frame is bonkers.

If either player pots everything they'll score a combined 193, a new record apparently.

Edit, total score 186 so no record.

Last edited:
Unbelievable... that frame alone was more entertaining that the entire F1 season so far, let alone the rest of the match.

Truly exceptional sport and sportsmanship.

Take a bow gents, that was incredible.

And thanks too to the BBC for not switching to Meerkat Manor at 6.30...

How many times will you ever see a player nearly burst into tears for fluking a ball?! And for it not to be out of relief, but almost out of apology to his opponent.

Not long now for the other Semi, come on Ronnie boy. :cheers:

Then the Final with 300 fans.

Edit:- From 13-9 down to 13-11 to 13-13, the Rockets taking off, back to a best of 9, can Selby step up and deny Ronnie his 1st win at the crucible over the Jester?

Ronnie doesnt want to play safety with Selby, he's going out I fear.

Last edited:
Ronnies on a mission, after looking like hes giving up, he's knocking everything in, whats going on today?!?

Cool head son, to make the decider happen.

Decider, game on.

Safety tussle, who'll crack first?

Last edited:
Curse of the commentator be buggered.

Dennis Taylor, you twonk.

Selby gets his chance.

Fair play, hats doffed to the 'alien snooker maestro'. :cheers:

Ronnie 'Cue action' O'sullivan, needs to take his meds before tomorrows final, WTH was he going on about?

Last edited:
R O'Sullivan's a dodgy betting syndicates' dream.

He's just letting Wilson back in to 'add to the drama'.

Last edited:
Very much enjoyed this year's World Championship, even though the bulk of the drama was over before the Final.

Ronnie just blew Kyron Wilson away, but even Wilson could see that Ronnie wasn't even playing his best. Wilson just had an absolute shocker in the final, albeit he was always going to be the underdog. I think Wilson's nerves just got the better of him... some of the pots he missed were almost inexplicable, and he also missed so many ambitious long shots, only to leave Ronnie with an easy in. That said, it could have been so different. Ronnie winning the last frame on Saturday was such an important win - putting him 10-7 up instead of just 9-8. If Wilson had been able to draw level, then Ronnie's confidence may have taken a knock... but he was imperious on Sunday morning and, somewhat unfortunately for such a great tournament, the match ended with a single frame session on Sunday night.

Still, credit to both players for an entertaining game, but more credit is due for both of their semi-finals... both semi-finals were incredible matches, the skill level from all players was sky-high, but even with the highest of sporting drama, both matches were played in an incredible spirit. Fortunately, the 2020 Snooker World Championship will be remembered for all the right reasons.

Does anybody here know anything about buying American pool tables (the tables used for 9-ball, 10-ball, 14-1 continuous etc)?

Particularly how the quality and type of the equipment varies as the cost increases.

Back