Snowboarding

• Thread starter bird2rock
  • 20 comments
Wooooohooooo!

Rippin up the fresh Colorado Pow!
Ah, Bird, what a wonderful thread!

Who else is a Snowboarder and what do you ride and where?

I ride mostly at Vail, Colorado! The largest ski/snowboard resort in North America!
And like my avatar suggests, Never Summer! It's the kind of snowboard I ride also. 155cm SL carbon fiber V-max.
It's a sweet board, cruises through any "chop" out there! Very stable.

Ahhh, you "two plankers" can be alright! It's all about having fun on the snow, right!

Where do you ski Sn00pie?
Post some pics if you can!

Here are afew pic's of Vail's Super Pipe!
It's a double wide pipe! The wall's are huge and the transitions are smooth!

Attachments

• vail super pipe.jpg
    vail super pipe.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 59
Originally posted by boombexus
Ahhh, you "two plankers" can be alright! It's all about having fun on the snow, right!

Where do you ski Sn00pie?
Post some pics if you can!

Hehe, "two plankers". It sure is.;)

We go on wintersports holiday twice or more per year, me and my brother ski while my parents enjoy the surroundings and do some sports and langlaufen... :D

Last time we went to "Solden", we usually go to Italy or Austria...

Here are some links to Vail Resorts.

www.snow.com

www.vail.com

Not alot of winter pic's right now though, but check out the "stats" of the mountain!

It's HUGE! At least for the US that is!

I hear that resorts out in Europe are MASSIVE! Some of them kinda combine into eachother I have heard!

good to hear from you snowmen!

boom; you mentioned place's in Europe, well, where Slip and i go quite alot (Tignes) is pretty much like that. You have 3 main centres: Tignes Le Lac, Val Claret and Lavachet ( Espace Killy) also you can board over to Val d'lsere. There are also a couple of board parks and a half pipe. I think the longest run is approx 13km.

My favorite place (up to now, as i still have loads of places i'd like to ride) is Meribel (also known as 'The 3 Valleys' resort) as this is also is 3 centre place with 600km of piste, a snowpark and halfpipe. :D

it doesn't snow in australia (oh yeah, right down south, but not where i live anyway) i've always wanted to go snowboarding

Hi all.

Yeah, Bird's right the two places we tend to go are Meribel (nice enough but a bit, um, er, um chocolate boxy for me) and Tignes.

Personally I much prefer Tignes, there's more to do terrain wise and it's cheaper to ride there. I'm sure i could find more stuff in Meribel and i've met some really nice people there. But i really like Tignes for it's huge runs, variety and fearsome drops alongside the piste. The french consider bamboo canes painted black and yellow to be fair warning of a severe drop. :eek: This may be normal in other parts of the world as well, hopefully i'll get to hear?

Tignes is pretty high up, high enough for the altitude to get to me, particularly up on the glacier. Up there once i was looking like i was going to pass out according to a couple of my mates. I put it down to the beer and vodka the night before! ;) The bottom of the main runs in Tignes are pretty much mid station in Meribel.

Being a bit of a tight wad I normally subject poor old Bird to an overnight coach journey (20 + hours once) to get there, but it has the bonus of me not flying, flying scares the crap out of me and i do not do it if possible. If god had meant for man to fly he would have given us wings! :) . The company i've had the most success with is "Snow Direct" and you can find them through www.cheapwintersports.com it'll give you loads of info about it all. Got to say their busses leave a bit to be desired though.

I've only ever stayed in 'Tignes Les Breviers' and to be honest would not stay (in that area) anywhere else. Although Snow Direct accomedation is a bit basic it's clean and comfortable, but then I just reagrd the room as somewhere to crash out. So long as i can get a shower in the morning and evening and have a comfy bed, i'm happy. The added benefit of staying in Les Brev' is that as it's the lowest part of the resort you get an extra 30 minutes to an hour board riding heading home for the evening. And 10 foot from the end of the piste is the bar that serves hot spiced wine.

Having said that Meribel, is a very nice place to ride. I perfected my turns on those slopes and have done some of the most extreme riding I have ever done, there. Certainly it was where i learned that you have to lean back slightly when you hit fresh pow(der), that or try a dig yourself out of a two foot deep snow drift! :lol:

Try www.meribel.net for an overview of the resort and when i've gone there i usually go with a company called 'Harris holidays'. I once went with a major travel firm who i won't name but they would be my 'last selection' ;)

Anyway www.skiweekends.com for Harris, they are great little firm. They have their own hotel and nothing is too much trouble for them.

With Harris you can go for a weekend for as little as £150 for a weekend and Snow Direct offer a great deal where you can go for about £400 for a week.

Hopefully Bird and I will get a scanner soon and post some pic's.

If you haven't boarded before, give it a go.

Snowboarding is the second best thing you will ever do in your life!

I ski and snowboard. Been skiing since I was 3 and snowboarding for a year so Im a little better at skiing. :)Snowboarding is REALLY fun though.

Back