So all that GT4 Does Pay off..

• Thread starter d3p0
  • 48 comments
I just wanted to say to everyone that sees GT4 drifting as practice (and fun) instead of just a game - keep believing it. I got GT4 right after it was released and taught myself how to drift in the game and worked hard to become good at it. Now, I have to give credit to GT4 in some part for helping me in my real drifting career.

This past weekend, I won the Formula D Pro-Am Nationals in Laughlin, NV and earned a 2007 Formula D License. (Link)

I did so driving a mostly stock (suspension, locked diff and hicomp) AE86 Corolla. Of course, a mostly stock corolla is also one of my favorites to drive in GT4. (REALLY old video)

HH5T1697.JPG

Believe in the corolla! Believe in video games!

Sorry for being absent for so long..
-d3p0

Damn........I wish I could afford to get my car set up as a real drift car (IE. Another weldlock and suspension) and take it out to some competitions.....

I've been wet drifting the streets for so long now and I am almost 100% consistent and almost never make a mistake, even when I do, I always pull out of it properly w/o any real consequence. I really want to find a way into a pro level at some point when I can afford it.

How'd yo do it BTW?? Win X amount of local drift comps in your area or something to get Pro-am, then winning the Pro-am event?? I'm intrigued.

Anyways, Awesoem vid man, reminds me alot of my drifting style in GT4. Though I think it's odd that you think GT4 drifting is that realistic......cause I think it's god awfull. It's fun, but the tire physics in GT4 are so bad that it really doesn't feel right in any way whatsoever. I mean, I'm sure a real drifter can understand how poweroversteer is suppost to work......wheelspin = less traction = oversteer. GT4 relies totally on momentum for drifting, I can't count how many times I've understeered around a turn on the rev limiter with gobs of wheelspin wondering WTF was going on because I lost momentum.......

Have you ever played Enthusia Pro Racing by chance??? Someone as good as you are can understand how real this game is I'm sure. I feel it actually slightly more realistic than Live For Speed even.Here's a vid of me drifting it with my DFP + MC2 using a clutch pedal and external shifter using shift + on dfp as e-brake. (feels very realistic)

At anyrate, congrats man! Anybody who can make it into formula D deserves it.

Tell us how it goes...man I was aiming for that also but Yeah.. I have some things to get first but anyway. Good luck man and drift on

Thanks for the comments guys!

rsmith: That's an awesome video you posted. Yeah, unfortunately GT4 isn't the most realistic game when it comes to drifting. Mostly because the tires that are good at drifting are not the tires that allow you to accelerate. Though, good drifting doesn't require you to accelerate. i.e: most drift courses are setup so that speed is lost instead of gained. As far is real drifting is concerned, try to find some events to get to. Driving with better drivers is the best way to improve. The way competition works is Local > National > Formula D.

I just wanted to say to everyone that sees GT4 drifting as practice (and fun) instead of just a game - keep believing it. I got GT4 right after it was released and taught myself how to drift in the game and worked hard to become good at it. Now, I have to give credit to GT4 in some part for helping me in my real drifting career.

This past weekend, I won the Formula D Pro-Am Nationals in Laughlin, NV and earned a 2007 Formula D License. (Link)

I did so driving a mostly stock (suspension, locked diff and hicomp) AE86 Corolla. Of course, a mostly stock corolla is also one of my favorites to drive in GT4. (REALLY old video)

HH5T1697.JPG

Believe in the corolla! Believe in video games!

Sorry for being absent for so long..
-d3p0

ae86 is teh leet :)

i suggest putting a 3sgte under the bonnet when you get the cash..
(its the 2litre turbo engine from the gt4 celicas and the turbo mr2's)

i have a mate who has a trueno ae86 that we stripped entirely ( as in everything but the drivers seat ) it weighs barely 700kgs and with the 3sgte and a big turbo it literally SKIPS along the road...like when it hits full boost im talking you feel the car nearly launch off the ground the power to weight is so biast. not to mention he eats ANY car on the road off the lights.

with a reasonably small turbo (im talking just a 300hp one) im sure that the 3sgte would be an excellent engine for drift.

congrats and good luck with the real life drift :) and i agree with you gt4 does help with real drift..it makes you really think hard about your lines and the effect acceleration and turning has whilst your sideways. :P not to mention suspension settings lol.

congrats man! good luck competing, i hope you have money or sponsor for tires.
i know a few guys that will be competing(last i knew anyway, i dont see their name(s) on the list) in 07 season of formula D. maybe youll be drifting with them? one guy will be running a grey/black primer widebody fc, not sure about the others. i know the guy with the fc competed in the 04 season of FD but im not sure how well he did.
rsmith, what you do is just get good to where you think your pretty good, then go to a pro am session that will issue a FD License and compete and win.

ae86 is teh leet :)

i suggest putting a 3sgte under the bonnet when you get the cash..
(its the 2litre turbo engine from the gt4 celicas and the turbo mr2's)

i have a mate who has a trueno ae86 that we stripped entirely ( as in everything but the drivers seat ) it weighs barely 700kgs and with the 3sgte and a big turbo it literally SKIPS along the road...like when it hits full boost im talking you feel the car nearly launch off the ground the power to weight is so biast. not to mention he eats ANY car on the road off the lights.

with a reasonably small turbo (im talking just a 300hp one) im sure that the 3sgte would be an excellent engine for drift.

congrats and good luck with the real life drift :) and i agree with you gt4 does help with real drift..it makes you really think hard about your lines and the effect acceleration and turning has whilst your sideways. :P not to mention suspension settings lol.
IMO, I don't think putting a bigger engine than the stock one is going to help his style

If I can keep driving an AE86 next year, I don't think it will have anything but a 4AG in it :) I guess I'm a purist in that way, but it would definitely have to be a more powerful 4AG.

Suzuki: If I'm not mistaken, the only people competing with an FC this year were Todd Ho and Kyle Mohan. Justin from socal also got his FD license at the same competition, he drives a green FC. Either way, I'll be driving with all of the top drivers next year if I can figure out how to get some help.

If I can keep driving an AE86 next year, I don't think it will have anything but a 4AG in it :) I guess I'm a purist in that way, but it would definitely have to be a more powerful 4AG.

Suzuki: If I'm not mistaken, the only people competing with an FC this year were Todd Ho and Kyle Mohan. Justin from socal also got his FD license at the same competition, he drives a green FC. Either way, I'll be driving with all of the top drivers next year if I can figure out how to get some help.

dont guess he made it in or went and tried to qualify then, oh well.
oh and post up more pics of the rolla if the mods dont mind. if they do, pm me with the pics.
thanks.

Myspace vids:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1375591675
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1209610217

Altamont:
my_1.jpg

Irwindale:
my_2.jpg

my_5.jpg

my_6.jpg

my_8.jpg

Willow Springs:
my_3.jpg

Pro Am Nationals:
my_10.jpg

my_9.jpg

my_7.jpg

Mods:
Suspension:
T3 Coilovers 8kg/6.5kg
T3 Tension Rods
T3 NRCA
T3 5 links
AW11 Steering Rack
BattleVersion Steering Spacer
Wheels:
14×7 -9 Konig Rewinds
15×7 -0 Work 5-Spoke
Aero:
Modiride VTX Bumpers
Modiride VTX Sideskirts
Drive train:
Stock AE92 Hi-comp Motor
T3 Under Drive Water Pulley
Act Heavy Duty Clutch
Welded Differential
Safety/Etc:
Sparco Pro 2000
Crow 4 Point Harness
6 Point Cage w/ sidebars
T3 Spin knob

IMO, I don't think putting a bigger engine than the stock one is going to help his style

I Didn't say anything about it helping his style; in pro drifting you do need to be drifting alot faster to get points. Which, for an ae86, logically would mean a turbo conversion..

k pro

how many 100hpish ae86s do you see in pro drift? none... they are all like 200hp at least.

maybe, just maybe thats what i was talking about.

Taka has ITB's on his 4AG. He can't be making more than 160-170 whp.

Speed is important, but not as important as line and angle. And + they give Taka MAJOR extra kudo's for driving an underpowered car. Hell, look at the 5 one more times he did with Sam in the Viper in 2005 at ATL. Sam's runs were more impressive looking with better speed, better angle, and A LOT more smoke, but Taka did so good for what he's got that they couldn't decide, hell, I was rooting him on, he killed it out thier for having such a low powered car.

congrats man! :) ...I have been waiting for a story like this to pop up, great inspiration.

although mind asking how much money (if any) you put into your car when you started to learn to drift

I Didn't say anything about it helping his style; in pro drifting you do need to be drifting alot faster to get points. Which, for an ae86, logically would mean a turbo conversion..

k pro

how many 100hpish ae86s do you see in pro drift? none... they are all like 200hp at least.

maybe, just maybe thats what i was talking about.
Well,you could of just mentioned the Turbo conversion. Im thinking that his engine right now is fine until it actually dies somehow or that he wants more power. I think that the typical D1 car has around 300+ but there are Drivers out there that have all skill like D3p0 or any of the veteran drifters in GTP.

TRi
actually there is a stock engine corolla in fd. and a super low power d1 car too.

Two whole cars that run less then 200hp, when compared to the hundreds of ae86s used for pro drifting that really is a significant figure.

Fact of the matter is... when he gets more sponsors/cash/successful he will want a more powerful and responsive engine. Wouldn't you?

Both of you pros know this and you still tried to say that my suggestion was invalid.

freq_sideways: Power is needed to keep up at the pro level. Taka said that the power level of 180rwhp was the necessary minimum for competing at the pro level.

red_line: As you can see from the mod-list, not much has been invested into the car even to this day. Before I started drifting at events, I added some wheels and suspension. But, I now know that modifying your car before you learn how to drift is unimportant. IMO, it's best to start driving and then figure out what to do to your car.

nightkids4ever: Unfortunately, a stock 4age just won't cut it in Formula D/D1. I wish it would, they are very reliable.

TRi: That stock 4AG corolla you mentioned was driven by my good friend Potatoes O'Brien. It was only a stock engine for 1 event before he admitted it wasn't enough power. A nitrous kit was added and after that motor blew, a turbo motor was installed which blew after one event.

Well..yeah..I thought it would be enough but there is always other engines out there or cars you can get use to.

i actually used the stock engine for 3 events before adding nitrous.

honestly, a good driver can do pretty well in Formula D (under the 2006 rules) in a stock 4AGE'd corolla.

unfortunately, there aren't any good drivers in america. (not THAT good)

so, power's necessary.

still, 180-200hp in a 2000lb corolla is enough. the 3SGTE is overkill, as the whole engine+tranny combo (plus the rear axle swap required to handle such power) is significantly heavier than the stock setup, and thus negates several of the advantages of having a corolla. (this isn't from personal experience, just from talking extensively with the owner of a local 3SGTE corolla)

the SR20DET swap has been proving rather successful, though... and it provides a reliable 180-200hp to the wheel in stock form.

regardless of all this power mumbo jumbo, however, what's most important is having a car that the driver is completely familiar with... so adding an obscene amount of power (say, 80-100hp) right before a professional event will do more harm than good.

that said, D3P0 better hurry the hell up and boost his car up before it gets too late.

(side note: today, an SR20DET'd S14 was unable to keep up with my 150whp turbo corolla. a little power goes a long way in a tiny car.)

D3P0
freq_sideways: Power is needed to keep up at the pro level. Taka said that the power level of 180rwhp was the necessary minimum for competing at the pro level.

Taka has ITB's on his 4AG. He can't be making more than 160-170 whp.

Speed is important, but not as important as line and angle. And + they give Taka MAJOR extra kudo's for driving an underpowered car. Hell, look at the 5 one more times he did with Sam in the Viper in 2005 at ATL. Sam's runs were more impressive looking with better speed, better angle, and A LOT more smoke, but Taka did so good for what he's got that they couldn't decide, hell, I was rooting him on, he killed it out thier for having such a low powered car.
freq_sideways
hey isnt an engine conversion what i was suggesting in the first place?

guess that means you didnt know what you were talking about.

stick to gt4
freq_sideways
Which, for an ae86, logically would mean a turbo conversion..
I'm confused @_@

well i found that the quickest and most probeble cheapest way of getting a few extra horses out of a stock motor without some serous serious work, would be to drop off the crank and cam pullys swap them for a light weight version, get the crank pollished and put a set of hi lift cams in, polishing will let it rev easyer and quicker, helped by the light weight pullys, and the cam will give it the extra punch when going over 3/3.5 on the rpm's

im trying to get my hands on a rear wheel drive car at the moment, as i only have a little 1.4 vauxhall corsa (cheap to insure especial with the trade im in) tho i have hered of people swapping these round to have a RWD system, and getting over 130bhp out of the 1.3 french modle.

Hey I was wondering if I wanted to get started in drifting where should I go. I think that I should practice before just showing up at an event and not knowing what I am really doing.

Hey I was wondering if I wanted to get started in drifting where should I go. I think that I should practice before just showing up at an event and not knowing what I am really doing.

You should find a big enough space away from the public or to controlled events by SCCA. There is always Drift days like that, but there should be tracks out there that let the public use it on some days

Latest Posts

Back