null

• Thread starter Reameb
  • 67 comments
This thread has become a bit like...

:P

True :P

This day and age most Apps/Sites have dark modes primarily not for aesthetic preference but for health and physical comfort's sake. You would be surprised how much difference Dark Modes can make for people with sensitive eyes and/or vision problems. Especially on heavy text pages like GTP and other Forums. :)👍

But yeah, I dont see the point in spamming the thread and being impatient about it (Even though i look forward to the option when it comes):D

Last edited:
This day and age most Apps/Sites have dark modes primarily not for aesthetic preference but for health and physical comfort's sake. You would be surprised how much difference Dark Modes can make for people with sensitive eyes and/or vision problems.
Just to be clear, this isn't actually true. For most people with healthy vision, black text on white backgrounds is objectively easier for the eyes to read.

This article from Nielsen Norman Group, which specializes in usability and user experience research, explains it clearly with linked references.

The human pupil is the gateway to the retina: through it, light reaches the eye. By default, the human pupil changes size depending on the amount of light in the environment: when there is a lot of light, it contracts and becomes narrower, and when it’s dark, it dilates to allow more light to get in. Smaller pupil sizes make the eyes less susceptible to spherical aberrations (in which the image appears unfocused) and increase the depth of field, so people don’t have to work so hard to focus on the text, which, in turn, means that their eyes are less likely to get tired. (Camera apertures work exactly in the same way: a photo taken at f/2.8 will have a narrower depth of field and thus more blurring than one taken at f/16.)

Cosima Piepenbrock and her colleagues at the Institut für Experimentelle Psychologie in Düsseldorf, Germany studied two groups of adults with normal (or corrected-to-normal) vision: young adults (18 to 33 years old) and older adults (60 to 85 years old). None of the participants suffered from any eye diseases (e.g., cataract).

Their results showed that light mode won across all dimensions: irrespective of age, the positive contrast polarity was better for both visual-acuity tasks and for proofreading tasks. However, the difference between light mode and dark mode in the visual-acuity task was smaller for older adults than for younger adults — meaning that, although light mode was better for older adults, too, they did not benefit from it as much as younger adults, at least in the visual-acuity task.

When researchers looked at fatigue metrics, they concluded that there was no significant difference of contrast polarity on any of them (meaning that it wasn’t the case that dark mode made people more tired, or vice versa).

The study found that lighting, polarity, and text size all had an effect on performance — in the direction perhaps expected by now: simulated daytime lead to faster judgements than simulated nighttime, light mode was better than dark mode, and bigger font was faster than smaller font. The interesting result was the significant interaction between ambient lighting and contrast polarity: during daytime, there was no significant effect of contrast polarity, but during nighttime, light mode led to better performance than dark mode. Moreover, during nighttime it was much harder for people to read small-font text in dark mode than in light mode.

Of course, a lot of people just prefer dark mode, and that's OK. Just keep in mind that it's not necessarily "healthier" for your eyes.

I've found my preference for "dark mode" depends entirely on the context. In bright daylight conditions, screen glare and reflections can make dark mode unreadable. In darker rooms, I hesitate before opening sites and apps which don't have a dark mode (yes, even my own!). I switch back and forth several times a day, sometimes even as I move from room to room!

That's why I'm building GTPlanet's dark mode to be as sophisticated as possible. It will be very easy to change. You can also set it to adjust automatically based on your device or operating system preferences, so the site will be able to react to your ambient light conditions or the time-of-day.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, this isn't actually true. For most people with healthy vision, black text on white backgrounds is objectively easier for the eyes to read.

This article from Nielsen Norman Group, which specializes in usability and user experience research, explains it clearly with linked references.

Of course, a lot of people just prefer dark mode, and that's OK. Just keep in mind that it's not necessarily "healthier" for your eyes.

I've found my preference for "dark mode" depends entirely on the context. In bright daylight conditions, screen glare and reflections can make dark mode unreadable. In darker rooms, I hesitate before opening sites and apps which don't have a dark mode (yes, even my own!). I switch back and forth several times a day, sometimes even as I move from room to room!

That's why I'm building GTPlanet's dark mode to be as sophisticated as possible. It will be very easy to change. You can also set it to adjust automatically based on your device or operating system preferences, so the site will be able to react to your ambient light conditions or the time-of-day.

I wouldn't argue that for the majority of people black on white is the "easier" to read, I mean it is the standard of course. However like i alluded to in my original post, I was referring to people who havn't necessarily got healthy vision. I'm mainly speaking from my experience where heavy white backgrounds are hard on my eyes and will rapidly cause headaches, migraines and eye fatigue after very little time, So in my case its not about aesthetic preference but what is less harsh and fatiguing on my eyes which happens to be the darker colours.

I wouldn't argue that a dark mode is healthier for your vision either, But if its to the point of using dark mode or not being able to read for 5 minutes at a time without the discomfort and side effects of a harsh white background setting in, Then dark mode it is.

This is where the intermediate "light dark mode option" some apps and websites have is the best of both worlds i guess.

Like i said however, I explicitly referred to people with vision and other underlying medical problems, At no point did i claim Dark mode was easier to read or better for the the majority of people (Especially those with no vision issues), And i don't think i'm wrong in saying some apps/sites do recognise that certain users would benefit from it other than for aesthetic preference.

20JE1C5.jpg

(that adaptive system you describe at the end there sounds great by the way) :)👍

Last edited:
Back