So what song do you want for Gran Turismo 7’s opening movie?

• Thread starter Lux Klonoa
  • 92 comments

Your choice for the opening movie?

• Total voters
United States
California
Lux_Klonoa
Lux Klonoa
(I realize it's a little too early to be asking this, since GT7 could potentially get released in 2022... even though it's farfetched and I think from launch date all the way to October 2021 seems to be more realistic. But regardless, feel free to lock this if deemed unnecessary. I'll understand. Thanks.)

Gameplay may be king, with graphics being secondary, but for some of us, presentation and music equally matters as well. It is no secret, then, that when it comes to racing game trailers and racing cinematic opening/intro movies, Polyphony Digital is, bar none, the best of them all. With their sweeping camera shots, angles, dramatic pannings, and their ability to sync them up just right with the music, their movies/trailers can pretty much pump you up for the game you’re about to play/buy, as well as make the very act of racing itself more epic than it should be.

...Well, at least, for the stuff that uses Moon Over the Castle and Daiki Kasho, and not any of the licensed stuff they used, apart from Daiki’s remix of “Are You Gonna Go My Way” and maybe Van Halen’s “Panama.” ‘Cause otherwise, I found them to be boring. Sorry, fans of “My Favorite Game.” lol

Onto the point, then. Now that it’s official, what song do you want for GT7’s opening movie?

-Moon Over the Castle – The series’ main theme, equivalent to the Mario Bros. and Halo themes. Composed by Masahiro Andoh of T-Square (and also called Knight’s Song by them), it is a fast-paced aggressive rock song with an ear-catching guitar melody that easily fits the speed and aggression of racing. Despite it being the main theme, though, it was never included in the opening movies of the games outside of Japan, instead going for some licensed music for... some reason. *shrug* Apart from GT4, where the choir part of it is played in all versions.

-Daiki Kasho – One of the series’ longtime contributors, debuting in GT3 and who also remixed “Are You Gonna Go My Way” by Lenny Kravitz for the US version of GT3. As the series went on, he continued to do the music for the openings and trailers for GT4 Prologue, GT5 (Prologue and Spec II), and GT6, as well as composing numerous in-race songs for them. Though his musical style is a bit slower than MOtC’s, his songs are often much more melodic, epic, and emotional, with vocalists and lyrics adding to the punch of them that makes them better than MOtC itself. Especially his most popular song, “5OUL ON D!SPLAY.” As of GT Sport, Kasho now works full-time as a sound designer at PD, which could mean that GT7 might be his biggest game yet...

-Daiki Kasho doing his own version of Moon Over the Castle – With Daiki working at PD now, one option he could do is to do his own version of the main theme, possibly with vocalists and lyrics. Could be really interesting to see.

-Another orchestral song – Yeah, GT Sport used neither MOtC (until Spec II) or Daiki, but instead, an original orchestral score done by the Spider-Man PS4 composer (and Detroit Become Human. And Netflix’s Daredevil), John Paesano. This was rather disappointing to me, but in the context of Esports and the competitive nature of racing, it makes sense, honestly.

-A licensed/mainstream song – Used in all openings outside of Japan, up until GT5 Spec II where Daiki Kasho took over for the rest. Um... honestly, if GT didn’t have any original composers now, then this would be the only option. But it does now, and continuing to use original music as the opening gives GT its own unique feel rather than having to rely on mainstream stuff for it.

Personal preference is for something mainstream. GT intros were at their best when they used mainstream music, but ultimately it is whatever Kaz and Co decide and I'll watch the movie once then forever skip it anyway.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: I am not fond of MotC

Anything but MotC...
I feel ya, sort of. While I'm not oblivious to its guitar melody and that it's a good song on its own, yeah, I feel it's a bit too overrated in these parts. Especially since Daiki's music is superior to it.

I've liked what PD have come up with for the American versions of Gran Turismo so far (original GT5 notwithstanding, but GT4 in particular), and I'd like to see them continue that far more than fussing around with a "theme tune" that sounds kinda like filler music from a Dreamcast racing game and is hardly an essential part of the experience when it has been hidden away to Japan the entire time.

Admittedly, these days, I don't listen much to mainstream music. Maybe one or two songs on occasion if I hear them on the Voice (US version) like Blake Shelton's "God's Country," so... while I disagree with the tradition of using mainstream music on a GT opening movie because using original in-house music gives GT its own identity, I wouldn't truly mind it in the end if Kaz decides to do so. Just gotta pick the right song, though.

Ideally the "mainstream" song would have something about cars, moving, video games, or love in the lyrics. Such as "Losing my favourite game" or "He's got a brand new car".

My choice for a "mainstream" song would be the following song below. It has a rock sound befitting of stuff such as Feeder and fits both lyric-wise and for the PS2-era nostalgia feel they're going for.

Last edited:
...What bad memories, if you don't mind me asking? o_o (Don't answer if you don't want to, though)
Haha no prob. My own bad memories of the time I was living and working in China. (and playing GT5-6 at home...Daiki Kasho was the background music while I was fighting with my ex chinese gf)

The only good memories I have of a Daiki Kasho song is when I put Soul on Display in my car driving on Tuscany countryside roads rally-style.
I still do.

Last edited:
Haha no prob. My own bad memories of the time I was living and working in China. (and playing GT5-6 at home...Daiki Kasho was the background music while I was fighting with my ex chinese gf)

The only good memories I have of a Daiki Kasho song is when I put Soul on Display in my car driving on Tuscany countryside roads rally-style.
I still do.
Ouch. lol. That was certainly some bad timing there, that's for sure. XD

The pinnacle of GT's intros was GT5 Spec II. I hope a Daiki Kasho song akin to that.

Hell freaking yeah. That was their most aggressive opening yet that really fits the song and only made me fell in love with "5OUL" more. <3

Call me a sop, but I'd love 'Just Drive', by Alistair Griffin...

Normally, I'd prefer something heavier. But given the potential of the PlayStation 5, and therefore Gran Turismo 7, I feel the vibe of the song fits perfectly. As the intro plays, we could see GT's journey from "kinda realistic, but not really", to "true realism". And this song for me at least, would evoke feelings of nostalgia for the past, and pride for the point we have reached (technologically speaking).

“Loyal” By ODESZA please!

Thanks for making me discover this group...

I was going to suggest this song for the new GT7, but it turns out i think it already has been picked up by Forza...

Call me a sop, but I'd love 'Just Drive', by Alistair Griffin...

Normally, I'd prefer something heavier. But given the potential of the PlayStation 5, and therefore Gran Turismo 7, I feel the vibe of the song fits perfectly. As the intro plays, we could see GT's journey from "kinda realistic, but not really", to "true realism". And this song for me at least, would evoke feelings of nostalgia for the past, and pride for the point we have reached (technologically speaking).

Sounds good, but it also sounds too much like a Christian/Church group band song... (nothing wrong with that)

still a good song... but not really made for a GT game IMHO.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: I am not fond of MotC

Anything but MotC...

EDIT: Sorry @SuperKlonoaGT
I didn't see it until now, but i disagree with you...
Out of all of the GT intros, the GT2 Intro "My Favorite Game" is the one i like the most!
I have yet to find anything better than and more fitting than "My Favorite Game" for GT...

Personally, I've always been a fan of Van Halen's Panama in GT4.

I think a good song for the next game would be "Shut up and Drive" by Rihanna, it has a nice quick tempo, has some automotive references (despite the lyrics alluding to something else), and the line of "shut up and drive" works with the fast paced racing action they are going for.

Not really the game's "intro", but if they can pull off something along those lines again...

That's actually a good question there... I wonder what they'll do for the first part of the opening for 7? In 5, it was a peek into the manufacturing process for cars, and in 6, it was a tribute to Senna as well as showing off the concept process for VGTs (and Sport's was self-explanatory, obviously). Hmm...

I'd enjoy it if they did a reference to automotive racing history like GT2 US intro did. The GT2 US intro is still my favourite due to how well the footage and music blended together to create this grandiose image of what GT offers.

Last edited:
Back