Solo's Gallery - Stuff

• Thread starter Solo
  • 201 comments
Which 85mm did you get? With the crop factor, you're about at my favorite focal length now... kind of cumbersome but when it works it works.

Haven't you heard?

There's another Korean 85mm f/1.4 around here now. :)

Sounds like I started something :P

Yeah the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 so just of the 135mm of your beloved f/2 @Azuremen as I'm still on the 1.6x crop sensor.

The Samyang/Rokinon is pretty damn amazing for the price. I find it particularly amusing paired with my EOS M because it becomes a comically odd looking candid lens. And considering it cost a fourth what I paid for the 135mm f/2L, it makes me question my decision making process at times :lol:

How are you going about focusing scenes with it? Liveview or just got an awesome sense for focus through the viewfinder?

The Samyang/Rokinon is pretty damn amazing for the price. I find it particularly amusing paired with my EOS M because it becomes a comically odd looking candid lens. And considering it cost a fourth what I paid for the 135mm f/2L, it makes me question my decision making process at times :lol:

How are you going about focusing scenes with it? Liveview or just got an awesome sense for focus through the viewfinder?
Mine cost about a 4th of the 135mm too, but having played with the focal length a bit I'll probably be buying a 135mm f/2 when I finally upgrade to full frame :lol:. I'm focussing through the view finder, live view is shockingly bad on the 60D, it's not too bad through the viewfinder for candid work.

Thanks @phillkillv2, I have moved from Gimp, to photoshop, to lightroom as my choice of editing software and I have also started using VSCO presets as a basis to my editing so I'm getting much more consistent results. I'm much happier with the results I get now than before so it's good to hear it's not just me that thinks that.

The Kooks

Lumix G2 - 20mm - f/1.7​

Well it's been a while! I've been incredibly busy this past semester at university but I've had a little time to shoot some sports so here are a few shots of that and a bonus portrait from the crowd at the rugby varsity:

Canon 60D ~ 70-200 f/4 L IS

Edit: Are these a bit dark? Looking at a them on a different screen the images in the past two posts look a tad dark.​

Last edited:
I through a sample of them into photoshop and the histogram is shifted to the darker side for sure. Virtually none of the "whites" in the sports shot are actually white as well. Scrolling up further it seems like everything is half a stop or so dark.

Does the screen you normally edit on have its brightness set to retina searing?

I through a sample of them into photoshop and the histogram is shifted to the darker side for sure. Virtually none of the "whites" in the sports shot are actually white as well. Scrolling up further it seems like everything is half a stop or so dark.

Does the screen you normally edit on have its brightness set to retina searing?
Ah, I have caught myself out with late night editing again. Flux is great for saving my eyes but terrible when I'm editing whites at night. I'll be sure to be more careful with that in the future. Thanks for pointing it out.

Not usually, I'm using a Dell IPS screen at 20-30% brightness to edit on.

Ah, I have caught myself out with late night editing again. Flux is great for saving my eyes but terrible when I'm editing whites at night. I'll be sure to be more careful with that in the future. Thanks for pointing it out.

Not usually, I'm using a Dell IPS screen at 20-30% brightness to edit on.

I have a love/hate relationship with Flux that ultimately leaves it turned off nearly always... too often I've screwed up white balance because of it.

I'm using Dell S-IPS displays at 40% generally (video games) and its interesting you're editing on the dark side. My advice is to just pay attention to the histogram while in Lightroom and then check what your presets are doing; some of the VSCO presets trim the histogram pretty hard.

Yeah it is crazy value for the money. How are you handling focusing with it - liveview or optical viewfinder?

@Azuremen I'm currently doing it half and half depending on the situation. I am noticing a far greater success rate using live view and a bit of zoom though so will be using that far more, especially wide open.

@Azuremen I'm currently doing it half and half depending on the situation. I am noticing a far greater success rate using live view and a bit of zoom though so will be using that far more, especially wide open.

If you find yourself using it often, I'd suggest getting a different focus screen. They aren't much for a matte finish one, which gives a much better idea of focus, and they're easy to switch around when you are using a slower lens. I know for a bit more, third party companies have split type screens available for the APS-C Canons.

Really digging those dreamy Springtime shots! Lovely feel to them 👍
Thanks! I tweaked my post production a little on them and it really seems to have paid off.

Sadly not another film update, the lab destroyed the last roll I sent in to them sadly so I lost that :grumpy:. But have a couple of recent digital ones instead:
Post-work peloton

Board walk

85mm f/1.4

I keep coming back to this lens and keep enjoying it ever more.​

Back