Something I never noticed before

• Thread starter KSaiyu
  • 14 comments

KSaiyu

(Banned)
When I first used my wheel (GT force Pro), I wondered why the "feel" was different to using a DS2. I then studied some replays and found out why.... When you use the DS2 (d-pad or Analog) you can't fully lock the wheels to one side when you go past a few mph. The faster you go, the less you can turn the wheel it seems. However, with the wheel, you can turn it full lock at any time, which is only logic. Try going past 150mph and press all the way left or right on the DS2 and see how far the wheels turn.

I dunno if it was this severe in GT3 (I had to sell it with my old PS2 so I can't test), just something I noticed once I started using the wheel.

That is because when you used the DS2 or the old wheel, the game had "steering assists", which amplify or reduce actual steering input, based on road speed.

With the new wheel in 900 degree mode the are no assists. Just completely linear steering, just as in real life.

That is why drifting was so easy in GT3 with the old wheel, and much more complex on GT4P and new wheel (as it is in real life).

At least that is my experience.

That is great news!!
It was something that I always hated and it decreased the level of realism a bit.

By the way, what happens now if you lock the wheels at, say 150 mph?

Arwin
What? MOMO is not supported by GT4:P? You are sure??? You are really sure because someone wrote here that GTP supports the other older wheel, GT Force. If that's true then MOMO is supported too. So in direct the MOMO is not suported by GT4P or any other game but if GT4:P works with either GT Force or Driving Force, The MOMO will work Fine! So can anyone tell me for Sure is GT Force(or Driving Force) supported? Does it mean that Prologue supports ONLY Driving Force PRO? Please answer, I am desperate...

Originally posted by ArcticBlow
Arwin
What? MOMO is not supported by GT4:P? You are sure??? You are really sure because someone wrote here that GTP supports the other older wheel, GT Force. If that's true then MOMO is supported too. So in direct the MOMO is not suported by GT4P or any other game but if GT4:P works with either GT Force or Driving Force, The MOMO will work Fine! So can anyone tell me for Sure is GT Force(or Driving Force) supported? Does it mean that Prologue supports ONLY Driving Force PRO? Please answer, I am desperate...

It's not that simple. We've tried just about all the wheels by now, so we have a pretty good idea that the following Logitech wheels work:

Driving Force
GT Force
Wingman FF
Driving Force Pro

And these do not:

MoMo Force
MoMo Racing Force

I'm sorry Arctic, but that's just the way it is.

Driving GT4 Prologue with the Wingman FF and GT Force wheels is ok, not great, but it works adequatly - then again I suppose it's easy to get spoilt by driving a DF Pro.

KSaiyu
When I first used my wheel (GT force Pro), I wondered why the "feel" was different to using a DS2. I then studied some replays and found out why.... When you use the DS2 (d-pad or Analog) you can't fully lock the wheels to one side when you go past a few mph. The faster you go, the less you can turn the wheel it seems. However, with the wheel, you can turn it full lock at any time, which is only logic. Try going past 150mph and press all the way left or right on the DS2 and see how far the wheels turn.

I dunno if it was this severe in GT3 (I had to sell it with my old PS2 so I can't test), just something I noticed once I started using the wheel.
I missed this thread before!

Not being able to turn your wheels at speed is a bad property since GT1. It is something I've hated even more since I started racing GPL.

No steering assistance with the steering wheel in GT4P :bowdown: That is wonderfull news !! 👍

I find that using the older wheels like the Driving Force makes driving the game alot easier because it does have that steering assist. I'm still learning how far I need to turn the new DFP wheel with respect to the speed. Because sometimes I turn the wheel too much and then that doesn't help, or then don't steer enough so I am not turning in as much as I could. I hope with the final build of the game they let allow us to switch the DFP to 180 degree so that it would be fair when playing online against other people using the olderwheels that have steering assist.

Sven
I think the steering assist is part of the software, not the hardware.

Sorry but that isn't true, steering assist for Prologue is based on the hardware you use. If you use a DS2 and you push full in a direction while going at high speeds your wheels won't actually turn full lock, they turn (because of steering assist) only so much relative to the speed the car is going. This same goes to the older wheels. Now in the new DFP, there are no such assist, so if you take a corner and decide to turn the wheel full then your car's wheel will turn fully locked and you will just get wheel locked up and get understeer. If you can do it fast enough while going down the straight, your front wheels will lock up in the direction you rotated and you will slowly move "switch lanes" while the car locks up and produces tire smoke to the front tires.

Back