Gran Turismo Sophy: Sony AI x Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Magog
  • 1,675 comments
That's what it sounded like.
Even a single AI could do for a start IMO.

For instance some "defend your position" missions would be amazing: for one or 2 laps you have to fend off the AI which is trying to pass you (cleanly, not PIT maneuver).
Same for overtaking - the missions based on that were really just about passing a few moving obstacles always doing the same thing independently of your car position. Doing it against an opponent actually defending would be a totally different experience.

These could help building racing skills offline - I would absolutely love that really.
When I started online racing I was doing OK qualifying time, due to offline practice. But was completely unable to behave against opponents - and still not too good at it.

Last edited:
It sounds interesting and the missions including Sophy when she is implemented may be really fun, but I think a lot of people are getting their hopes up over nothing.

The chances of this AI being implemented into all of the campaign and custom races is incredibly small. Mark my words it’s only going to be a small feature with a few races and maybe some 1v1s, and that will be the extent of it in GT7 until future titles.

I love PD, I really do, but remember we’re talking about a company that struggles to code a feature in their game that lets you delete cars from your inventory while giving you 50-ish% of its value back. That’s called selling.

Last edited:
I’m sure the usual suspects will thumbs down this post…

But when/if Sophy makes her appearance in GT7 via an update, that will be the same day support for PS4 is ended.

My personal prediction is Christmas time. Would be a good opportunity to relaunch the game with new features and sell some consoles

Can’t wait for PSVR2….whenever that is!!

Last edited:
It's well to remember that "before the end of the year" in Polyphony time is probably like mid-2024. Saying that it will be this year is pretty much a guarantee that it won't be.

Agreed. “End of the year”, is end of fiscal year in corporate-speak

Last edited:
But when/if Sophy makes her appearance in GT7 via an update, that will be the same day support for PS4 is ended.
A friend of mine on Twitter who lives in Brazil is not going to be happy when/if that happens. When I tweeted the exact same thing, he pretty much raged at me for it. =/

That, and the fact that we're still in a chip shortage makes it pretty unlikely anyway.

The chances of this AI being implemented into all of the campaign and custom races is incredibly small.
It's zero, unless they've changed their plans.

FLKwzStXEA49s9s.jpg

Which is incredibly unlikely. They're not going to completely overhaul the main section of the game months or years after most people have already finished it, it's not worth it at all. The only people who haven't played it by that point are casuals, and they aren't going to care.

As you say, it's just going to be some new challenges/events at best.

It's well to remember that "before the end of the year" in Polyphony time is probably like mid-2024. Saying that it will be this year is pretty much a guarantee that it won't be.
Course maker - "could make it in time for launch", arrives 22 months later. Will always be peak PD.

Last edited:
It’s not coming, we all know how the words could and soon works with this company…..years if not at all…!

Not being a hater just historically this is the case with PD.

Game came out in March it’s now August still can’t sell duplicate cars and no endurance races similar to its predecessor’s.

free-animated-gifs-of-confused-travolta-john-travolta-pulp-fiction-moonwalk.gif

Last edited:
I must say, I did the Brands Hatch group 4 race for the first time last night and the AI was really good. Took me a couple of goes to string clean enough laps together to win it as the leading AI car was quick. A further upgrade is always welcome though

A friend of mine on Twitter who lives in Brazil is not going to be happy when/if that happens. When I tweeted the exact same thing, he pretty much raged at me for it. =/

That, and the fact that we're still in a chip shortage makes it pretty unlikely anyway.
I have my theories on what PD has been up to, but they're just that... theories. I know this will piss people off, but provided that PS5 supply continues to increase, I hope they cut the umbilical cord on the PS4 sooner than later. Its holding GT7's potential back.

I have my theories on what PD has been up to, but they're just that... theories. I know this will piss people off, but provided that PS5 supply continues to increase, I hope they cut the umbilical cord on the PS4 sooner than later. Its holding GT7's potential back.
Not going to happen. Look at the mess that ACC is in.

I must say, I did the Brands Hatch group 4 race for the first time last night and the AI was really good. Took me a couple of goes to string clean enough laps together to win it as the leading AI car was quick. A further upgrade is always welcome though
The AI in Sport and 7 have their strong suits. They do well in grippy racing cars when they try, especially karts and F1.
Their over-cautious throttle control also gives them an uncanny ability to handle old muscle cars at Northern Isle.

It'd be a waste that doesn't matter much in the game. Because of course, why replace incompetent existing AI?? (PD logic)
I care less about the intelligence of the AI and more about the stupid "chase the rabbit" format for 90% of the single player race events in GT7.
PD can't make bare minimum AIs so their way to "solve" this is giving chase the rabbit they have the gall to call it "race".

Last edited:
One word - boost. You didn't struggle to win because the AI were too fast, you struggled to win because you ran out of laps playing catch up. If the AI were anywhere close to your pace it'd be impossible to win, given the handicap start. Which is the whole crux of the current AI issues. In a fair fight, at its fastest, it's still woefully slow. Heck, even with boost and handicapping your own car they're too slow on some circuits to be fun.

Sophy is supposed to be actually fast naturally without any handicap systems, like other games. But as said, it's not going to replace the entire AI, we're stuck with it.

Last edited:
One word - boost. You didn't struggle to win because the AI were too fast, you struggled to win because you ran out of laps playing catch up. If the AI were anywhere close to your pace it'd be impossible to win, given the handicap start. Which is the whole crux of the current AI issues.

Sophy is supposed to be actually fast naturally without any handicap systems, like other games.
To be fair the leader was only about 3 seconds ahead after turn 4 on the first lap, and it took almost another 4 laps to close that 3 second gap and take the lead.

Likewise in the first two races when I didn't win, I struggled to close the gap at all.

Can't believe there are still people who think/expect Sophy is going to completely change the single player game, completely change the race AI and format. It's not. Not in GT7. We're going to be stuck with the current catch the rabbit, slow AI with boost system until GT8 at least.
but have you seen sophy's videos before writing these comments?

I only read criticisms and prophecies. Let's trust him in something new that could revolutionize the game

Last edited:
Emily's interview was the most interesting.

They dialed back Sophys speed so they had a chance..

Which naturally indicates an AI that (as expected by everyone) can easily be adjusted. It also opens up for a race where the AI can react to the driver and yes...

Opens up for races where you don't chase the rabbit!

PD being PD it remains to be seen how they would implement this. Let's hope for the best.
Funny they didn't include that in their newest video about it but they did say they wanted people to ask for Sophy to be included in the game. As a scalable solution yes I absolutely want it!

Can anyone else not open this AI news article? I've tried on 2 different machines (Mac & Windows) with 3 different browsers and all I get is a blank white page.

Edit: It's actually the same for the previous news article, but there's no problem with any before that.

Last edited:
I doubt it will happen for a very long time, but I want Sophy AI in custom races so I can put it in jelly cars. I'm pretty sure I've put over a thousand miles into driving jelly cars in stupid scenarios since GT6 and if there is one way I can beat the AI that has defeated the best in the world, it's to make it roll over spectacularly while trying to exploit the physics.

Can anyone else not open this AI news article? I've tried on 2 different machines (Mac & Windows) with 3 different browsers and all I get is a blank white page.

Edit: It's actually the same for the previous news article, but there's no problem with any before that.
It happens for absolutely no reason we can determine, and even better you can solve it by deleting the final "/" in the URL even though that shouldn't do anything.

I doubt it will happen for a very long time, but I want Sophy AI in custom races so I can put it in jelly cars. I'm pretty sure I've put over a thousand miles into driving jelly cars in stupid scenarios since GT6 and if there is one way I can beat the AI that has defeated the best in the world, it's to make it roll over spectacularly while trying to exploit the physics.

What do you mean by jelly cars?

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 7 Could Get a Big AI Upgrade “Before the End of the Year”

“Gran Turismo Sophy”, the next-generation artificial intelligence system developed by a collaboration between Sony AI and Polyphony Digital, could arrive in Gran Turismo 7 before the end of the year...
Sophy is not a priority for this game, it can be good only for professional drivers. GT7 need a lot of things to be fixed.

I was looking forward to this title, then after the dirty monetization and game progression throttling, along with no method to sell cars....I gave up. GT is dead to me.

Instead I got GRID: Legends and am addicted! There's a season pass for $14.99 vs. $40 cars from GT. Heck, you even win cars as you progress.

Never would have thought Electronic Arts would get monetization CORRECT and Sony get it WRONG.

I was looking forward to this title, then after the dirty monetization and game progression throttling, along with no method to sell cars....I gave up. GT is dead to me.

Instead I got GRID: Legends and am addicted! There's a season pass for $14.99 vs. $40 cars from GT. Heck, you even win cars as you progress.

Never would have thought Electronic Arts would get monetization CORRECT and Sony get it WRONG.
Bs after April patch. I platinumed game without grinding any race even once tough Im ok with fact that I dont have all cars available in game (even happy as there is still motivation to do new missions and caffe or earning money for golding online tt).

Last edited:

Jesse, what the hell are you talking about?

Back