Gran Turismo Sophy: Sony AI x Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Magog
  • 1,675 comments
ACC on PS5?

To me, its clear as day what's going on ps5 ACC. No one is playing it. I wouldn't sink any money into it either if I was 505/Kunos
Well if that's true, just means that'll be a cheap game for me to pick up.

One word - boost. You didn't struggle to win because the AI were too fast, you struggled to win because you ran out of laps playing catch up. If the AI were anywhere close to your pace it'd be impossible to win, given the handicap start. Which is the whole crux of the current AI issues. In a fair fight, at its fastest, it's still woefully slow. Heck, even with boost and handicapping your own car they're too slow on some circuits to be fun.
They've set it up like it's a track day instead of a race, which I suppose makes some sense. I've seen people move track day groups to boos their ego, and that's essentially what the game's events do.

Anyone who has ever gone to a track day can confirm that the GT events are absolutely the same. You "win" if you pass all the cars within the session time, which is how someone would "win" the track day :D. That's why many track day organizers remind participants that they can't "win" the track day so avoid wrecking yourself or others.

It is set up 100% like a motorcycle track day, where mirrors are taped over or removed, and the onus is on the faster rider to avoid contact, and no passing IN the corner. It sure seems like that's how the single player is set up. You have to be the one to avoid contact all the time.
Sophy is supposed to be actually fast naturally without any handicap systems, like other games. But as said, it's not going to replace the entire AI, we're stuck with it.
And this does come to the question of how this will be implemented, because (as has been stated to death) if they continue with their current SP philosophy, you'll have a track day with a "Sophy AI" label instead of an entertaining race.

but have you seen sophy's videos before writing these comments?

I only read criticisms and prophecies. Let's trust him in something new that could revolutionize the game
Have you seen this?

flkwzstxea49s9s-jpg.1179919

That's what I base my comments on about it not replacing the current AI. They've never said they plan to do that.

Plausible, but I rather doubt whichever local ad agency Sony Brasil hired to make that consulted with PD to choose cars they were planning to add soon. Rather they just hired whatever three supercars were available to them.

Real world ads for games rarely have any relation to the game.

Last edited:
IsyLZJz.png

I'm guessing this is just a fictional track for promotion in the video, don't remember seeing it in game.

Edit: Definitely not real, nevermind then.

Last edited:
IsyLZJz.png

I'm guessing this is just a fictional track for promotion in the video, don't remember seeing it in game.
It's a live action shot of Autódromo Velocitta, here in Brazil. In some ways that's similar to GT6's Ascari Race Resort. I'm pretty sure it's not coming to the game.

How it is exploiting track limits and physics? It's not doing anything that the best drivers isn't doing already.
What answer do you expect to get this time that's any different from any of the other times this has been gone over since Sophy was first actually shown off?

Last edited:
I was looking forward to this title, then after the dirty monetization and game progression throttling, along with no method to sell cars....I gave up. GT is dead to me.

Instead I got GRID: Legends and am addicted! There's a season pass for $14.99 vs. $40 cars from GT. Heck, you even win cars as you progress.

Never would have thought Electronic Arts would get monetization CORRECT and Sony get it WRONG.
if your only goal was to have all the cars, you were surely in the wrong game. But let's not compare Grid to GT7 please.

Have you seen this?

flkwzstxea49s9s-jpg.1179919

That's what I base my comments on about it not replacing the current AI. They've never said they plan to do that.
I agree. There's no way PD is going to implement Sophy and completely replace the AI in GT7. I can see it being a separate entity of the game like VR was for Sport or the ridiculous Music Rally. I don't think Sophy will work with the current single player situation of having 3 laps to go from last to first. Not to mention a change this big to the game is going to come with all sorts of bugs and glitches on its own.

It's a live action shot of Autódromo Velocitta, here in Brazil. In some ways that's similar to GT6's Ascari Race Resort. I'm pretty sure it's not coming to the game.

It's real footage shot with a drone that they've "gamified" a bit in post, and added the UI of course.

Track is Velo Citta, I think. - https://www.circuit-booking.com/en/circuits/sam/brazil/autodromo-velo-citta
CORRECTION: It's actually Autódromo Capuava, a small test course.

For those that missed it, the MIT article about Sophy is available online now:

It's pretty obvious the people writing these articles don't actually care much about motorsport seeing as they describe Sophy as driving "fairly" when to put it bluntly, it drives like a complete prick cutting corners and track extending while driving wheel-to-wheel into every single corner against opponents, at worst putting them off the track, or even at it's best just being way too aggressive and not understanding that you shouldn't try to force an overtake into literally every corner for the sake of good sportsmanship and respect

I agree. There's no way PD is going to implement Sophy and completely replace the AI in GT7. I can see it being a separate entity of the game like VR was for Sport or the ridiculous Music Rally. I don't think Sophy will work with the current single player situation of having 3 laps to go from last to first. Not to mention a change this big to the game is going to come with all sorts of bugs and glitches on its own.
I can see them just switching it around. Have a headstart, don't let alien-beating Sophy catch you. Peak PD.

That story starts with an intern, Florian Fuchs, who worked with Kenta Kawamoto on the “under-the-desk” project in 2020. Fuchs essentially generated the first version of Sophy, with the AI “agent” learning the fastest way around a track on its own.

Due to various travel and social restrictions at the time, Fuchs had to run most of the work in a tiny apartment in Tokyo, running nine PlayStation 4s non-stop. This apparently caused a 500% increase in the electricity bill, and we’re sure it wouldn’t have been a pleasant experience with all that heat and noise.

I really hope GT Sophy is a success, for Fuchs' sake.

Sophy is still becoming better and better, we know that the speeds it can achieve are unbeatable but its the sportsmanship and competitiveness with other drivers that will be interesting to watch. The competition races against Sophy that we've seen don't show the complete Sophy product, hence why it goes to extreme track limits and sometimes pushes other drivers off.

But agreed with doing something about the current race event state on single player, even if they add better AI into the game now, with the catch the rabbit style racing, they'd have to rework every race event in the process! (Hopefully to standing starts. With optional qualifying) Then again that part of the game isn't to do with anyone working on Sophy. I'm looking forward to the next videos!

Anyone who has any hope for sophy improving GT7 is an abject utter fool.

Mark my words. Revisit in five years. I’ll be right.

Anyone who has any hope for sophy improving GT7 is an abject utter fool.

Mark my words. Revisit in five years. I’ll be right.
I just want to know if Sophy will become self aware and punt meta users off the first corner on Monza.

Last edited:
Back