Gran Turismo Sophy: Sony AI x Polyphony Digital

• Thread starter Magog
  • 1,675 comments
Quite a few people I know told me she was due to arrive this month and we can see that Sophy is doing very well flawlessly

Sophy drives very well indeed. That doesn't mean that they've got it running on a PS5 that also has to run the rest of the game as well, let alone a PS4.

If hardware wasn't a problem, we'd probably have had at least a demo mission of Sophy by now.

If hardware wasn't a problem, we'd probably have had at least a demo mission of Sophy by now.
We are talking about PD here :D

Let's change your sentance a bit:

"If hardware wasn't a problem, we would probably get car selling function day one"

you know what I mean? :D

Sophy drives very well indeed. That doesn't mean that they've got it running on a PS5 that also has to run the rest of the game as well, let alone a PS4.

Why run this AI on real hardware, a Ps5 than in the game directly?

To be honest... can't this be done via Cloud computing? The game is already online only, why not making this AI traning on servers and sending AI input from the cloud? To be honest I wouldn't mind having online only game if we would get super human AI for SP racing.

To be honest... can't this be done via Cloud computing? The game is already online only, why not making this AI traning on servers and sending AI input from the cloud? To be honest I wouldn't mind having online only game if we would get super human AI for SP racing.
Lag would probably prevent that being all that wonderful an experience. The AI would need to react in an instant at high speeds, so any delay in data to and from the server would cause the AI to behave very poorly. Additionally, think of the severs you'd need to not only host the AI, but to have the server tracking every instance of Sophy that is running and also receiving data for it in order to calculate what instructions to send back out. There would be lag and it'd be a monstrous task. Even if it were accomplished it would more than likely be a very sub par experience.

Once the Sophy races are set up in the game it will not need to learn any more as it will already know the car and track combinations for the missions/mission type races it'll be used in.

Last edited:
We are talking about PD here :D

Let's change your sentance a bit:

"If hardware wasn't a problem, we would probably get car selling function day one"

you know what I mean? :D
Sure, but if we just assume that they're incompetent at everything then we might as well give up all hope now. Polyphony does some things well and clearly has at least some employees who are highly skilled and capable. I'm willing to assume that the people working on porting Sophy into GT7 are some of the ones who do things well.

Because if I'm wrong then there will be plenty of time for us to point out how they ****ed it up afterwards. And I'll be here for that too, because there will still be fanbois pointing out how revolutionary and forward thinking it is that Polyphony put a Sophy server on the moon powered by laser arrays and that we should just ignore the fact that the cars teleport all over the track and punt you from arsehole to breakfast because there's three seconds light speed delay minimum.
It could. There would be a cost associated with it, and it would be at the mercy of Polyphony's online code which is already not stellar. It's a solution, but it's an inferior one to running the AI locally. You would only do it if there was no other way.

And if the hardware demands are high enough to make running it locally not an option then I think the costs of running it in the cloud would be quite substantial. Given their attempts to monetise additional aspects of the game, I don't think they'll be spending money on servers that they don't have to. Unless Polyphony were to make this paid DLC, which I imagine would go down like a ton of bricks with consumers.

There's also pretty much no way that this is training as it goes like Drivatars if we do see it in GT7. I think I referenced the hardware they're using to train earlier in the thread, it's very substantial. It's almost certain that Sophy will be pre-trained and only operating as the output agent. To do otherwise would be to make an already difficult task orders of magnitude harder.
Why run this AI on real hardware, a Ps5 than in the game directly?
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. Try this, it will probably give you a better result.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Hands-On with Gran Turismo Sophy, GT7’s New Artificial Intelligence System

At the recent Gran Turismo World Series Finals in Monaco, I had the chance to be one of the first humans to race against Gran Turismo Sophy, the radical new artificial intelligence system developed by Polyphony Digital and Sony AI...
PD should absolutely release Sophy-AI as 'beta' within a few months as long as it is better on many tracks than the current AI.

It will only be few little mission. The ai on any tracks would still be bad.
Well we don't know for certain yet but the data suggests it's going to be mission type events rather than AI in normal races (or what PD try to pass for normal races). Depending on how much longer it takes to release there could be more data to comb through that suggests it will have a wider use in the game. We don't know how few in number or little these Sophy events will be either.

But I get your sentiment, PD's track record has my expectations low.

Last edited:
Minding my english: do i understand correctly that the Sophy events can just be used for a month and will be gone by the ende of march?

Dissapointed it's only PS5. RIP all ps4 users
It wasn't so long ago people were saying it couldn't be on PS5 either...

This is just a limited test, really. There's still plenty to do to get it in the whole game - as the Sony AI people we spoke to for the piece make pretty clear - so while it's disappointing that it's not running on 11-year old hardware right now that doesn't mean it won't eventually.

From the description given in the news article it sounds an awful lot like Sophy in practice against a human opponent is just Mortal Kombat II in racing game form. Hopefully the videos of this event start flooding YouTube soon so we can see the breadth of its abilities.

Last edited:
Back