Sony Playstation VR Headset ThreadPS4 

Like this?

playstation_move_sports_champions_3_raw.jpg

That was also slightly messy but better. I would put all the VR info in the 'Only On Playstation' area.

PlayStation-VR-boxes-638x425.jpg

Anyone think the packaging looks terrible? I care a lot about the aesthetics of everything and I don't see why we need to have 'Playstation VR' in big letters and also have a 'You'll need these' section at the bottom. People aren't stupid Sony! They could have simplified it so much better.

If grandma wants to buy a game as a gift, chances are high she's never heard of PS VR ;)

PlayStation-VR-boxes-638x425.jpg

Anyone think the packaging looks terrible? I care a lot about the aesthetics of everything and I don't see why we need to have 'Playstation VR' in big letters and also have a 'You'll need these' section at the bottom. People aren't stupid Sony! They could have simplified it so much better.
I disagree, people indeed are stupid.

I wonder if the PS move would start to sell more? since i remember being really unpopular.
---

Like this?

playstation_move_sports_champions_3_raw.jpg
sports champions and Tumble were awesome.

Quick Photoshop of roughly how I would have it...

PSVR.jpg

For non exclusive 3rd Party or Compatible titles just loose the 'Only On' and change Required to 'Optional'. But yeah in a world where people buy Xbox games for their Playstation I guess people need it shouted at them!

Have any of you guys tried PlayStation VR at your local Best Buy yet? If not you should! It's A really great experience and it feels really comfortable I only get to use it 10 minutes at a time but I think it will be great for racing and maybe even endurance racing depending on how dry your eyes get

I saw a PlayStation VR at a Best Buy yesterday. Sadly, I didn't get to play-test the thing. A game I remember seeing from when I had a chance to play it was Battlezone (or Battle Zone?). From a trailer I saw online, if there was a game I wouldn't mind playing with the PlayStation VR, it would be The London Heist. "The London Heist" kind of reminds me of a game I never played- The Getaway.

While I am a bit bummed I didn't get to play the PlayStation VR as of this post, I do look for at least some opportunity to eventually play with it.

According to Verge, PlayStation VR will ship with a free sample of eight games:

• Driveclub VR
  • PlayStation VR Worlds
  • RIGS Mechanized Combat League
  • Tumble VR
  • Battlezone
  • EVE: Valkyrie
  • Wayward Sky
  • Headmaster

Anyone preordered theirs?

Well the old man has his new toy. I've had a quick go too and with my limited eyesight it's not bad.

IMG_6603.JPG

He bought 4 games and has some demo discs. I'll be sure to play Driveclub VR with he wheel set up tonight.

Well having spent a bit more time with it I can safely say. If it was my money and I had a chance to play etc I wouldn't buy one.

1- the headset is light but the fit isn't quite perfect. I know they need as close to a universal fit for everyone but in my head it's just not comfortable for very long play time.

2- if like me you can't get an exact fit you'll get light leak in bright play areas. This will cause reflections on the lenses.

3- as some will know I can't see very well through my right eye, so much so my depth perception in real life is pretty much none existent. So I'm unable to enjoy a full 3D image. Because of this I don't get motion sickness. However I tent to use my eyes and head in a weird way and rely on peripheral vision quite a bit, because of this anything outside of dead centre you get distortion because of the lenses.

4- the lenses cause chromatic aberrations quite badley on text etc which are off centre. Also the lenses are too small as such it sometimes feels like looking through binoculars especially when playing games when you need to look far to the sides and behind you. Also the lenses are grease and dirt magnets so be prepared to clean them constantly.

5- in-ear rather than over-ear headphones are a must. I've tried 3 pairs of over ear (Shure SRH840, Grado & Playstation Gold) all three just didn't fit and as such sound leakage was an issue and comfort was reduced. I've not used the in-ear Sony provide with the PSVR but I did use my B&W IEMs and they worked perfectly.

6- the resolution of the PSVR is horrific. It's like watching a DVD on the HD screen at close range. You can make out what is going on but fidelity is lacking. Some games look much better than others. Bright and cartoony games look great and don't suffer too much from the VR resolution, games which require more fidelity to keep a sense of realism suffer and as such just doesn't draw me in.

7- pads and move controllers loose location far too often. Even when you're just sat on the sofa the pad will end up twisted so the back where the light bar is, is facing the camera but in the game it's facing left or right leaving the game unplayable until you correct it. This can be only done by pausing the game and recalibrating, this pulls you out of the game. The headset fairs much better.

I haven't played Driveclub yet and I'll give my impressions when I do. I don't think this is a gimmick toy and I really hope his doesn't become like 3D cinema or 3D Blu-ray and fade into obscurity. That way when PSVR 2 or 3 comes along with true HD and better lense tech with something like fluoride lenses to help limit chromatic aberrations etc. I've also watched some VR videos via an app Sony have in the store and the quality is horrific. Blocky, blurred and drab, I also tried to watch some YouTube videos. This was much more fun and like sitting in a cinema but the low resolution hampers the enjoyment.

Another note is the amount of cables etc, is a problem for people who already have cable issues. But this is a needed evil to make it work. What Sony have done is bring a reasonable VR experiance to the home and I can tell some serious industrial design has been done to achieve this. Hats off to them to do this, I can't wait for the next versions.

Well having spent a bit more time with it I can safely say. If it was my money and I had a chance to play etc I wouldn't buy one.

1- the headset is light but the fit isn't quite perfect. I know they need as close to a universal fit for everyone but in my head it's just not comfortable for very long play time.

2- if like me you can't get an exact fit you'll get light leak in bright play areas. This will cause reflections on the lenses.

3- as some will know I can't see very well through my right eye, so much so my depth perception in real life is pretty much none existent. So I'm unable to enjoy a full 3D image. Because of this I don't get motion sickness. However I tent to use my eyes and head in a weird way and rely on peripheral vision quite a bit, because of this anything outside of dead centre you get distortion because of the lenses.

4- the lenses cause chromatic aberrations quite badley on text etc which are off centre. Also the lenses are too small as such it sometimes feels like looking through binoculars especially when playing games when you need to look far to the sides and behind you. Also the lenses are grease and dirt magnets so be prepared to clean them constantly.

5- in-ear rather than over-ear headphones are a must. I've tried 3 pairs of over ear (Shure SRH840, Grado & Playstation Gold) all three just didn't fit and as such sound leakage was an issue and comfort was reduced. I've not used the in-ear Sony provide with the PSVR but I did use my B&W IEMs and they worked perfectly.

6- the resolution of the PSVR is horrific. It's like watching a DVD on the HD screen at close range. You can make out what is going on but fidelity is lacking. Some games look much better than others. Bright and cartoony games look great and don't suffer too much from the VR resolution, games which require more fidelity to keep a sense of realism suffer and as such just doesn't draw me in.

7- pads and move controllers loose location far too often. Even when you're just sat on the sofa the pad will end up twisted so the back where the light bar is, is facing the camera but in the game it's facing left or right leaving the game unplayable until you correct it. This can be only done by pausing the game and recalibrating, this pulls you out of the game. The headset fairs much better.

I haven't played Driveclub yet and I'll give my impressions when I do. I don't think this is a gimmick toy and I really hope his doesn't become like 3D cinema or 3D Blu-ray and fade into obscurity. That way when PSVR 2 or 3 comes along with true HD and better lense tech with something like fluoride lenses to help limit chromatic aberrations etc. I've also watched some VR videos via an app Sony have in the store and the quality is horrific. Blocky, blurred and drab, I also tried to watch some YouTube videos. This was much more fun and like sitting in a cinema but the low resolution hampers the enjoyment.

Another note is the amount of cables etc, is a problem for people who already have cable issues. But this is a needed evil to make it work. What Sony have done is bring a reasonable VR experiance to the home and I can tell some serious industrial design has been done to achieve this. Hats off to them to do this, I can't wait for the next versions.
The resolution issue is really what made this something I have no intention of buying. I was so disappointed in it when I first used the headset.

Broke out the move controllers for some Heist gameplay.

Have to admit despite its issues I'm having fun.

IMG_6606.JPG

It looks like it's a decent bit of kit, I'll probably hold off until a big price drop or something like Fallout 4 is compatible. Most of the games for it just seem like tech demos at the moment, is that right?

It looks like it's a decent bit of kit, I'll probably hold off until a big price drop or something like Fallout 4 is compatible. Most of the games for it just seem like tech demos at the moment, is that right?

Everything I've played so far are like demos. I've been playing my way through them. We currently have PSVR worlds, Driveclub VR, Eve Valkyrie & some horror game. Plus the demo disc which comes with the headset.

Using the PS Move controllers with the headset is fantastic and really aids to the realism. Sometimes it's a surreal experiance. I just wished it was higher resolution, if it was I'd probably go and buy one myself.

Edit-

Ok so I've played Driveclub VR and I have to say it's fun. This is what VR was made for, I know it's not a sim and some people hated DC but it's just sodding fun.

After a few races I had a huge smile and I chuckled to myself as I was checking mirrors and turning my head towards apex's without thinking.

IMG_6609.JPG

If you get a chance to have a go with a wheel and headphones and just let yourself have fun and not get too hung up on the smudgy graphics you can have a blast with this. I really can't wait to see what the future holds.

Last edited:
...as some will know I can't see very well through my right eye, so much so my depth perception in real life is pretty much none existent. So I'm unable to enjoy a full 3D image. Because of this I don't get motion sickness. However I tent to use my eyes and head in a weird way and rely on peripheral vision quite a bit, because of this anything outside of dead centre you get distortion because of the lenses...
I'm probably going to come out of this as sounding quite insensitive, but surely the PS VR was designed for full 3D perception and cannot compensate for or emulate a full 3D experience where none existed.

Like I said, it's likely a no-win situation for me by making this post, however I don't see your mentioning of the above as a valid review point. I mean, in context, my wife has Ménière's which is an inner-ear condition that can bring on debilitating bouts of vertigo - with that in mind, she isn't going to even attempt to try a PS VR. Sure, she'd love to, but is it really worth a day or two incapacitated - no.

From you later posts, I see you are enjoying things more now. I hope that you continue to do so.

I'm probably going to come out of this as sounding quite insensitive, but surely the PS VR was designed for full 3D perception and cannot compensate for or emulate a full 3D experience where none existed.

Like I said, it's likely a no-win situation for me by making this post, however I don't see your mentioning of the above as a valid review point. I mean, in context, my wife has Ménière's which is an inner-ear condition that can bring on debilitating bouts of vertigo - with that in mind, she isn't going to even attempt to try a PS VR. Sure, she'd love to, but is it really worth a day or two incapacitated - no.

From you later posts, I see you are enjoying things more now. I hope that you continue to do so.

Don't worry, I knew going in my experiance would be limited.

As for the 3D aspect I'm sure it's really good as the people who are using this device say it is. However I thought it best be open about my limitations and what that means for use of the PSVR. This includes the way I've learnt to get around my poor eyesight in real life and what happens with the headset.

As for motion sickness even my dad who has a stomach of steel when it comes to things like this said yesterday while playing Driveclub VR, the motion under heavy deceleration made his stomach turn over. He also said the sick feeling came on out of nowhere in other parts of the game too. Apparently even the none heavy motion games/demos can induce the sick feeling in some, it sounds like your wife would be best not using one especially if it takes a long time to recover (my mum is holding off using it because she gets vertigo too, although not as bad as your wife does).

I didn't find your post insensitive at all, and you have a valid point. I just wanted full disclosure. If I had ragged on the PSVR without stating I had bad eyesight then I wouldn't be being fair to Sony and the guys/gals at Playstation who put together a fantastic product.

Fair enough @Sprite I understand now where you are coming from with this and I'm glad that it didn't come across badly as I'm sure it must be a sensitive issue. I also appreciate your taking the extra time to explain it.

I think that we are going to have to pass on this as I can't in all good conscience play a game in VR and have my actions replicated on the main screen too - a shame, as I do like a bit of Driveclub and I wanted to experience some of those other games too.

Latest Posts

Back