Sony Reveals Its First Car: Meet the Vision-S Prototype

The assumption is that Microsoft is a grown up company and Nintendo is more about Children products.
That's true but I'm not sure if everyone can agree that Nintendo is only more about children products.

So the joke is that if Nintendo made a car it would be suitable for children and pensioners, hence the Little Tikes coupe and the mobility scooter. Are we going to stop drawing this out over several pages and days now it's been explained?

Sony did not say anything about the car during their 2021 CES keynote, but they did release a few videos of them testing on public roads in Europe.

upload_2021-1-11_18-46-26.png

upload_2021-1-11_18-46-44.png

upload_2021-1-11_18-48-26.png

upload_2021-1-11_18-48-43.png

upload_2021-1-11_18-51-58.png

upload_2021-1-11_19-34-0.png

upload_2021-1-11_19-36-35.png

upload_2021-1-11_19-39-33.png

upload_2021-1-11_19-40-1.png

upload_2021-1-11_19-40-19.png

upload_2021-1-11_19-40-33.png

The number of sensors in the car have increased from 33 to 40.

They showed clips of hand gesture detectors (similar to BMW), a driver facing camera that records the driver saying keywords like "map", and a guy playing Little Big Planet with the in car screen.

A very important quote from near the end of the video:

"with autonomous driving, drivers are free from driving and Sony should offer the additional value to it"

Nice car!

The steering wheel is detachable and the new official GT and future Playstation steering wheel.
If you don't believe me, I'll try to make you believe another lie. :P

This car will mix up the Electric car market nicely, as Tesla once did when the MODEL S was brand new, I just hope SONY dont market it, once complete like the Playstation 3.

People be driving like this:
giphy.gif

Well I'll be damned, they were quite serious about the car part after all.

I could see them not being involved. PD seems more involved with the Playstation part of Sony, and doesn’t seem to often branch out to other Sony segments, aside from that Bravia TV advert.

I know this is literally a year old post, but I felt its worth bringing up that PD does in-fact have involvement with one of Sony's other Segments:

upload_2021-1-12_14-24-27.png

This is the brand of camera used for the Scapes feature in GT Sport and GT7.

Surprisingly tidy looking machine. I highly doubt the car itself will actually be made but I can see the connected technology and autonomous driving systems trickling their way down the line in a few years.

So now that its apparently near production ready, how do you feel?

So now we've got car companies branching into the technology sector and tech companies crossing over into automaking. It's amazing how fast the lines are blurring together now that the global industry as a whole is starting to really throw its weight behind Electrifying All The Things™.

Not content with igniting truckloads of money in all of the things they already are involved with that aren't related to Playstation, they now will expand into markets where pretty much everyone flushes money down the toilet half the time.

Last edited:
It looks great, but I do see some lines that reminds me of designs from Jaguar, Tesla, Mazda and even SAAB. Not in the bad way, it feels more like a tribute and I love that.

Electrifying All The Things™.

That's starts with EA and makes me think about future as less bright, than it supposed. Hope not all entertaining industry features will be presented in this segment. I'd imagine starter model will only have one wheel motor available and one sit usable, others are seasonal subscription, or DLC.

Sony Designer: "How generic and boring do you want your first car?"
CEO Sony: "HAI!"

Really... this is sooo not a car for me! No emotions, no design, no sound, no nothing. Basically a driving computer without a soul.

Perfect for my brother in law, who don't like cars at all. He just wants to come from point A to point B, best without the need of driving it self.

Last edited:
I'll be honest, i really like the design. Currently car design is going through an odd phase of overdesigning (which is why the F8 Tributo is IMO catastrophically ugly) and this seems like a breath of fresh air.

Back