Sony Reveals Its First Car: Meet the Vision-S Prototype

A little late to the design discussion party but wow, this Sony concept looks so much better than anything Tesla has made so far.

Anyways all I see out of this car is some road tests for PR, maybe an inclusion in GT and then it fading away into obscurity as a tech demo for Sony automotive components.

Why not? Because the default suspension settings make it snap oversteer in corners? No "Look behind" button? Can't activate Cones and Driving Line? :sly:;)
It is a Gran Turismo reference?

Is my previous post not correct because this car getting produced would be a good thing.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35283108/sony-vision-s-not-producing/

Sony reconfirms the Sony Vision S isn't going to be a production car

A Sony spokesperson told Car and Driver: "At present, we have no plans to mass-produce or sell the vehicle. With mobility expected as a major megatrend into the future, we’re exploring how Sony can contribute in a meaningful way to the era of autonomous driving." Some of those contributions could be entertainment related, the spokesperson indicated, saying, "Through our strengths in imaging and sensing, we aim to contribute to both safety and reliability in autonomous driving, while also delivering a powerful experience leveraging entertainment in the mobility space."

At CES 2022, Sony brought a SUV version of their previous prototype called the Vision-S 02.

1641363200978.png

1641363333318.png

In addition, Sony announced Sony Mobility

In order to further accelerate and make new proposals that further evolve the mobility experience, Sony will establish an operating company "Sony Mobility Inc." in the spring of 2022, through which the company intends to explore entry into the EV market.

Previously, Sony had confirmed that they will not be producing cars, but it seems like that has now changed

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35283108/sony-vision-s-not-producing/

Sony reconfirms the Sony Vision S isn't going to be a production car

I'm guessing since this is being branded as a mobility company they won't be mass producing them for the general market, but rather marketing them to specific sectors as specialty vehicles. And I imagine it's also a convenient way to sidestep some of the more prohibitive regulations of the automotive industry, which is probably why there are so many "mobility" offshoots coming out of existing car companies too.

With this playing in the infotainment ;) Kind of ironic. :lol::sly:
GTPlanet
That could of course lead to a highly recursive situation in which a player will drive their Sony car in a PlayStation game (maybe even Gran Turismo 7) while actually being driven about in the exact same car…

The design style of the crossover feels very Mercedes. You gotta wonder if PD gave Sony input on this.

Last edited:
With this playing in the infotainment ;) Kind of ironic. :lol::sly:
GTPlanet
That could of course lead to a highly recursive situation in which a player will drive their Sony car in a PlayStation game (maybe even Gran Turismo 7) while actually being driven about in the exact same car…

...but but, look at what screen it is Panasonic :sly:

Last edited:
I would honestly consider buying either of these. Probably over a legacy OEM. Probably not over a Tesla because Superchargers but depending on how well they're built it could be worth it.

Sony together with Honda announced on Friday plans to establish a joint venture company that will oversee the development and sales of EVs and mobility services. The two companies have only signed a Memorandum of Understanding, but they expect their joint venture to be in operation as soon as this year and the first vehicle to be available in 2025.

Vehicles sold by the joint venture will benefit from Honda's experience in vehicle production and after-sales management, and Sony's experience in imaging, sensing and connectivity technologies, the two companies said in a statement.

The joint venture won't have its own plants, though. Instead, it will rely on Honda plants for production. Sony meanwhile will develop a mobility service platform for the joint venture. Details of the mobility services weren't mentioned.

The partnership is intended to combine Honda’s expertise in making and marketing cars with Sony’s capabilities in image sensors, telecommunications, and entertainment.
Almost sounds ideal, I just hope there will be some significant difference in the positioning in Honda's and Sony's models and they won't simply be rebadged.

I guess Tesla really have set the standard for car designs, what a bummer that everyone wants to make a knock off design already. I'm less interested in how it looks and more interested in the specs sheet now.

I guess Tesla really have set the standard for car designs, what a bummer that everyone wants to make a knock off design already. I'm less interested in how it looks and more interested in the specs sheet now.
Not really sure what you mean by "the standard". Aerodynamics set the standard. The most drag- and space-efficient design for a car is a kammback and this design feature has existed since the 1950s. Almost every car in the future is going to use this design for aerodynamic purposes, especially since most car sales are migrating toward crossovers and hatchbacks. The Mercedes EQXX does have a more efficient design than a kammback, but it's not space efficient and won't work on taller vehicles, and moveable body parts are too expensive for most cars.

Not really sure what you mean by "the standard". Aerodynamics set the standard. The most drag- and space-efficient design for a car is a kammback and this design feature has existed since the 1950s. Almost every car in the future is going to use this design for aerodynamic purposes, especially since most car sales are migrating toward crossovers and hatchbacks. The Mercedes EQXX does have a more efficient design than a kammback, but it's not space efficient and won't work on taller vehicles, and moveable body parts are too expensive for most cars.
Standard was a hasty choice of word, I'll admit! I just don't see a reason why this EV has to look exactly like the Tesla, apart from of course aerodynamic constraints, a little more spice, flair or originality in the design would've looked better to me. I suppose you like this design a lot and I've rustled jimmies, but I long for the days of creatively bankrupt designs to be over already!

Standard was a hasty choice of word, I'll admit! I just don't see a reason why this EV has to look exactly like the Tesla, apart from of course aerodynamic constraints, a little more spice, flair or originality in the design would've looked better to me. I suppose you like this design a lot and I've rustled jimmies, but I long for the days of creatively bankrupt designs to be over already!
Sometimes it's hard to tell what people mean by "design", whether they're just talking about the overall shape or the graphics. I agree this car could use some more interesting graphics with more exciting lights and lines. Volvo did a really good job on the C40 Recharge, and the Kia EV6 is a good example of interesting graphics on a common shape.

Back