Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Console

JvM
From thermals standpoint the xbox could actually be a bit, or even significantly better.

As of now, I wouldn't expect any kind of silent operation under load from the PS5.

There has to be (3) 120mm fans and a beast heatsink inside to keep that constantly running fast AMD from thermal throttling.

I’m curious what temperature to noise ratio the engineers settled on. I do not like seeing my PC get above 70c, we’ll see.

If u squint...u can see the evolution.
1920px-PSone-Console-Set-NoLCD.jpg

Looks like a run over duck.
For the first time ever am considering a Xbox.
Mmm, buying a console not for the games it can run, not for how well it runs the games, not for the price, but for what the box looks like. :confused: It's your money, you buy what you like (the look of). ;) :lol:

There has to be (3) 120mm fans and a beast heatsink inside to keep that constantly running fast AMD from thermal throttling.

I’m curious what temperature to noise ratio the engineers settled on. I do not like seeing my PC get above 70c, we’ll see.
I wouldn't be too surprised if this design could end up having overheating problems. I like the look of it, but from what people have been saying about the potential heat generated by these new consoles, and how MS have changed the design so much from their previous console for mainly handling the heat, this design may not be up to it. I hope we get to more details soon, and a look at the innards. That was something MS did very well in their reveal. :)

I hope I'm wrong and this is as quiet as my PS4 or XBox 360. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Discless for me, for sure! I wonder how much cheaper it will be, but with GT7 seemingly incoming (lol) and TRIAL MOUNTAIN, this is a day 1 purchase.

Looks like a 2010's futuristic concept of a video game console...I think it looks like it's trying to hard.

But at least the specs don't disappoint, definitely than what PS4 was at launch.

Anything about its rumours backwards compatibility?

The biggest issue with this console is how dirty it will get.

Apart from that, this design is somewhat refreshing for the PlayStation, a console which has never really been considered "attractive" in any form. They've traditionally been more utilitarian in their appearance, so the PS5 is a welcome change indeed. It has a more premium feel to it, and would look far better sitting in my living room compared to the PS4.

Last edited:
They really botched the version with the drive. They should've created a fat version where the drive blends with the rest of the console. Instead it looks like the digital version with a drive tacked on the side in the spot where it seemed most convenient.

Digital version would have to be heavily discounted for me to consider it and I would need the drive for blu-ray movies anyway.

The biggest issue with this console is how dirty it will get.

Apart from that, this design is somewhat refreshing for the PlayStation, a console which has never really been considered "attractive" in any form. They've traditionally been more utilitarian in their appearance, so the PS5 is a welcome change indeed. It has a more premium feel to it, and would look far better sitting in my living room compared to the PS4.
Honestly, I have found that when it comes to dust build-up, black plastic shows up waaaaayyy dirtier than white. My PS4 was cleaned a month ago, like full clean, and its currently 3 shades lighter than its supposed to be due to the dust layer.

I like the design of the console (its the controllers that need to grow on me), but am concerned with how fragile it will be. I don't exactly live with the most careful family one can have.

Not set on a PS5 until I'm satisfied with its game library. But if I get one, the disk version is a must. Ever since getting emotionally gut punched over the server shutdown of an online digital exclusive, I've stuck with games I can keep indefinitely.

I really wanted it to look like the dev kit. Big V shaped console :( I knew it was going to have white due to the controller reveal and it won't be a plain rectangular box like the Xbox which IMHO is very ugly. It has this alien, futuristic look to it

Mmm, buying a console not for the games it can run, not for how well it runs the games, not for the price, but for what the box looks like. :confused: It's your money, you buy what you like (the look of). ;) :lol:
Sorta looks like a Corsair One but costs 1/7th,Games aren't a concern,The controller could be.

For my taste this is by far THE UGLIEST thing EVER!!! So many places where dust can build up... Why not go with something simply square and in black?!? Who gives a !@#$ how it looks it is important what is beneath the hood!
At least I hope there is going to be black variant and that can be position horizontally!

I'm interested in a 4K Blu-ray player, so it will most likely be the one with the abscess for me.

This was my thinking, but in the end it'll probably come down to the price difference and the availability of any standalone 4K Blu Ray players for around that sort of price. I mean I'd prefer to not have the extra box, but if I have to have a PS5 out on display I'd like to have the less ugly of the two...

Back