Sony Reveals PlayStation 5 Console

It's in Sony's best interest to lock as many people into the digital model as possible over the full featured one. The difference in cost on Sony's end is probably $20-30 at most, but I could see Sony whacking so much money off the price of the discless one that they sell it for a loss and the disc model for a profit.

I just cant get behind digital only.

A couple of times in the ps4 era spring to mind where I bought a game at launch from shopto.net, completed it over a weekend and then sold it to CEX for a profit.

Some single player games really only need to be played once so it's nice to have the option to sell that game when I'm done with it, borrow a game or let a friend borrow my games. Not to mention the fact games as way cheaper on disc.

I would much rather pay for a disc drive ps5 for an extra £50/£100 than get the digital version. By the time the PS6 comes out I would've saved way over that anyway.

Latest leak from Spain aligns with French Amazon leak. Pegging the PS5 at €499 and the PS5 Digital at €399. If they price across the globe the same as MS have and previous consoles seem to have then that should translate to €499/$499/£449 and €399/$399/£349 respectively. Matching the Series X pricing on the main console and coming in about €£$100 more than the S on the digital variants, albeit without sacrificing power.

Be interesting to see tomorrow if these ring true. If they are, I'll be down for a digital model.

I can't imagine Sony would save us $100 for a DO version. I bet they'll be the same price.

Jerome

I just cant get behind digital only.

A couple of times in the ps4 era spring to mind where I bought a game at launch from shopto.net, completed it over a weekend and then sold it to CEX for a profit.

Some single player games really only need to be played once so it's nice to have the option to sell that game when I'm done with it, borrow a game or let a friend borrow my games. Not to mention the fact games as way cheaper on disc.

I would much rather pay for a disc drive ps5 for an extra £50/£100 than get the digital version. By the time the PS6 comes out I would've saved way over that anyway.
Myself and my friends are the same with swapping discs, and because many of my PS4/PS3 games are disc versions I could still use those on the disc version PS5 as well.

I can't imagine Sony would save us $100 for a DO version. I bet they'll be the same price.

Jerome
I can't imagine any of these consoles selling a discless version for the same price. At that point, there's literally no incentive to get the one that can't play DVD/BLURAY/UHD movies.

What we know is that there is XSX, XSS possible XSV (Rumor)
So all we know is that Xbox can say oh we have the powerful one SX, we have the wimpy one SS, and we have what you really want SV, which could be 399.

So either way it should be interesting on tomorrow on what is all comes to light and hopefully a list of okay we can pre-order outside of PlayStation.com

Edit:
Giving us all the power without the disc for 399 would undercut the Xbox unless they come out and say what we kinda already know about the SV that it could be the same version of the big one without the disc drive and come in at 399.

Either way I am going for the disc version since well I got PS4 discs that I can play.

Jerome
I think they'll price the disc version to match the X and price the digital version to be £50 more than the S. And then put emphasis on it being a real next gen machine with identical spec as opposed to a cut down spec 1080P last gen machine.

DE at $399/£350 might well pull in people who were thinking about the XSS - especially if they are interested in exlcusives. It might also draw in folk buying a second console.
Disc one will match XSX, maybe 50 less (in whichever currency) just because.

I think Microsoft are being pretty smart with the pay monthly plans, would not be surprised to see Sony do that (maybe not every region, far as I know they don't even sell direct in some).

Unless something new appears I think I'll buy whenever GT7 is released.

I think they'll price the disc version to match the X and price the digital version to be £50 more than the S. And then put emphasis on it being a real next gen machine with identical spec as opposed to a cut down spec 1080P last gen machine.

In either case, I can't wait to see what we get at launch and other goodies today!

Jerome

So we finally saw the back of the console. Just x2 USB 3.0 Type A ports, Ethernet, HDMI & Power. No Optical and I don't know where the expandable memory slot is (maybe on the side).

PS5.jpg

and I don't know where the expandable memory slot is (maybe on the side).

The expandable memory slot would be located under the top cover, as was the case when upgrading the PS4 storage by replacing the HDD entirely.

It's expandable using only NVME SSD, it's not something you can just slot in from the side. You need to put it in the right spot, fasten with an M2 screw or something similar and then close it back up.

You'll have to wait on SONY and other 3rd party reviewers to come up with a list of NVME SSDs that are compatible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So to recap the reveal event:

Pricing:
$499 USD for standard edition
$399 USD for digital edition

November 12th release date for:
US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea

November 19th release date for:
Rest of the world

The added PS Plus collection on launch was a nice touch, I just hope they don't raise the prices for PS Plus.

PS Plus Collection games:
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit
  • Fallout 4
  • God of War (2018)
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • The Last Guardian
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Ratchet & Clank (2016)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
  • Until Dawn

Last edited:
Just managed to pre-order the disk version. I wanted to get the digital version, but it seems like it is in very limited supply.
Hopefully I can get one off Amazon when they start offering them, but with the mess that it was today who knows if I'll manage.
Good luck to all the other F5 warriors!

Just managed to pre-order the disk version. I wanted to get the digital version, but it seems like it is in very limited supply.
Hopefully I can get one off Amazon when they start offering them, but with the mess that it was today who knows if I'll manage.
Good luck to all the other F5 warriors!

Yea I'm not going to even try :lol: We'll see around Christmas time.

Yeah, it looks like they're sold out everywhere. It does look like the $59.99/60 price point for games is no longer the standard option. Walmart has games from ~$50-70.

If I can find a pre-order, I could start plans for selling my PS4.

Yeah, it looks like they're sold out everywhere. It does look like the $59.99/60 price point for games is no longer the standard option. Walmart has games from ~$50-70.

If I can find a pre-order, I could start plans for selling my PS4.
Yep, that’s what I did. Amazon offering $191 for a trade in right now. Considering I bought it for $199 about 3 years ago, that’s not bad at all. Makes disk version sting a little less if I can’t get the digital one.

I just got the disk version from Best Buy. It was a hassle getting it to go through. It allowed me to add to cart and get to checkout and once at the place order screen the order would never go through. I read elsewhere to change from the BB credit card to something else so I changed my order to PayPal and boom, order went right though.

I just got the disk version from Best Buy. It was a hassle getting it to go through. It allowed me to add to cart and get to checkout and once at the place order screen the order would never go through. I read elsewhere to change from the BB credit card to something else so I changed my order to PayPal and boom, order went right though.

It took me 2 1/2 hours to get it preordered, but it finally went through. Basically, got it added to the cart when I was at work, but then nothing would load. When I got home, it wouldn't load the cart, but then it finally did. I kept selecting pick up at store option, then would just hang on that page. After some time, it finally went to the next web page, where I could select the store nearest me. Once I selected my store, and went to payment options, it hung on that, and had to keep clicking the button every 5 minutes or so. Once it finally got pass that screen, I could enter my payment details, and click on place order. It took maybe 10 minutes or so to finally let me place the order.

Back