Sony Reveals PlayStation 5's Inner Workings in Full Teardown Video

A blower cooling setup is so archaic by today's standards, especially in something big like a console. Very surprised Sony stuck with it seeing as it's not an efficient pathway for the air. It may well work but it's such an odd decision.

The original PS3's cooling system was also ginormous and people thought that would mean it's good but it was pretty terrible.

So it begins...

upload_2020-10-7_15-53-42.png

Mr Ootori must be quite a tiny man because it looks bloody huge in this video yet when the Japanese YouTubers did a hands on with it it looked around the same size as the fat PS3.

Mr Ootori must be quite a tiny man because it looks bloody huge in this video yet when the Japanese YouTubers did a hands on with it it looked around the same size as the fat PS3.
It's a little bit bigger than the original PS3, but not a lot

It's a bit bigger than the original PS3:
WCCFplaystation55-scaled.jpg

I think that was an early guesstimation image that's not totally accurate, it is bigger than the PS3 but not by as much as shown there.

In this video it looks so different to the teardown.

Last edited:
I think that was an early guesstimation image that's not totally accurate, it is bigger than the PS3 but not by as much as shown there.

In this video it looks so different to the teardown.

The PS5 is a bit big there but the difference is 65mm (PS5 is 390mm, PS3 was 325mm) so the image isn't too far off if you measure them from roughly the bottom point.

Last edited:
Either that chap is small, or it is a lot bigger than I imagined. :eek: :lol:

It was interesting to finally see what the inside of the PS5. And again, it seems like Sony and Microsoft taking different design routes.

Microsoft going with two circuit boards either side of what looks like pretty solid piece of Aluminium, as opposed to Sony's one circuit board next to a thinner piece of metal. The PS5 heat sink looks to cover more area than the XBox, though that large piece of Aluminium will soak up heat.

The side panels coming off easily was good, but obviously necessary to allow access to the SSD slot, but probably more importantly, easy access for cleaning the inevitable dust that will get sucked in. They could easily have used multiple screws and not made it easy, and discouraged those that don't buy the extra SSD from going inside. Good that they have designed easy cleaning into the design, as a lot of air will be passing through.

I was surprised by only having a 350W power supply, but I think the XBox SX is similar.

The fan looked massive, and again is a different type of fan than what Microsoft are using. Not sure if one design is more efficient than the other, but Microsoft's is a more conventional propeller type. :confused:

I was also surprised that not all the USB's were the same fast speed.

It looks like the Blu-ray being self contained, it could only be a matter of adding the drive and a different half inner and outer case to be the difference between the disc and disc-less versions, and if that is the case, the disk could maybe offered later, with the different panels, as an upgrade. It certainly looks like if they have done that it would be pretty easy to do either version on a production line, which can't be said of the two Microsoft designs, which are almost totally different.

I watched a version with English subtitles, and thought when he took the sticker off, after looking at the SSD slot, he should have said, "and beyond this point you will void your Warranty!". :lol:

Love the design of the base, and the detail and thought they have gone to.

Right at the end,
View attachment 963395
:P

I think Sony realise they have inadvertently made a vacuum cleaner which is why for the first time ever you can clean the fan without voiding the warranty.
I would hope they would not guarantee it clogging up, would be pretty bad if it did! (Looks like they forgot a not there)

A blower cooling setup is so archaic by today's standards, especially in something big like a console. Very surprised Sony stuck with it seeing as it's not an efficient pathway for the air. It may well work but it's such an odd decision.

The original PS3's cooling system was also ginormous and people thought that would mean it's good but it was pretty terrible.
A blower cooler can be efficient, of course you can always find more efficient alternatives (except when you find the single most efficient one) but then you're often looking at more expensive alternatives. It's a cost/benefit/usage issue, if it runs cool enough and quiet enough it's good enough. We will know when the first consoles are out and being beta tested for later buyers.

For the record the NVIDIA RTX 3000 cards are using blower coolers as well (at least the 3080's and 3090's are anyway) you can buy AIB cards that aren't but they tend to be more expensive.

Last edited:
The 3080 and 3090FE cards aren't really blower designs. They both have elements of it, but they are more like partner model axial designs that also direct most of the air from one fan out of the case than they are like a blower card with a centrifugal fan exhausting everything out of the case. There is a 3080 that's a straight blower by Gigabyte (and maybe someone else), and I'm sure it has the traditional blower card problems.

And while it's definitely not so simple as "blower bad," being a blower design would go along with why they had to make the system a humongous fatass with 20 pounds of heatsink in it bonded to the components with liquid metal. It will be interesting to see which one of the two designs is superior in practice when there are cons to both, particularly when Sony stumbled with the PS4 after riding high on Microsoft stumbling on the 360.

Last edited:
Back