Sony Reveals PlayStation 5's Inner Workings in Full Teardown Video

I'm not seeing nearly enough discussion about this:

PS5 Teardown_ An up-close and personal look at the console hardware 2-55 screenshot.png

In addition to the standard M.2 2280, it also supports 2242, 2260 and 22110 and I'm curious as to why. It could be useful if you want to run a server grade SSD but those aren't exactly cheap. Sony simply could have left things at the "standard" 2280 (22 mm in width, 80 mm in length) and called it a day as that's what the majority of consumer NVMe drives will be. Maybe Sony has plans for partnered SSDs? I dunno but I'm very interested.

Looks great and definitely a plus to how easy the parts can be removed for accessibility and cleaning. Also good to see the extra USB port/s.
I was looking forward to it having a digital optical port though for plugging in my wireless headphones base-station to the console but alas I see once again they have not included. Bummer.

Last edited:
Looks great and definitely a plus to how easy the parts can be removed for accessibility and cleaning. Also good to see the extra USB port/s.
I was looking forward to it having a digital optical port though for plugging in my wireless headphones base-station to the console but alas I see once again they have not included. Bummer.

Yeah I use optical to a headphone amp on my ps4 pro.

Looks like in the future the path is going with an hdmi audio extractor. Will still work with my headphone amp though.

In addition to the standard M.2 2280, it also supports 2242, 2260 and 22110 and I'm curious as to why. It could be useful if you want to run a server grade SSD but those aren't exactly cheap. Sony simply could have left things at the "standard" 2280 (22 mm in width, 80 mm in length) and called it a day as that's what the majority of consumer NVMe drives will be. Maybe Sony has plans for partnered SSDs? I dunno but I'm very interested.

Maybe they know something or have some future plans for it... maybe they just figured it was cheap to add just in case? The whole transfer to SSDs is cool though, a bit costly but the prices are coming down quickly.

Last edited:
Yeah I use optical to a headphone amp on my ps4 pro.

Looks like in the future the path is going with an hdmi audio extractor. Will still work with my headphone amp though.
When I bought a new PS4 Slim to replace my standard PS4, because the Slim didn't have an optical port what I had to do was (besides connecting the base's USB directly to the PS4...had to use a hub for that too because of the limited USB ports on the console) was to connect a digital optical hub/extender to the back of the TV's optical and run the optical cable from the back of the base's optical to the hub and that's how I was able to do it. That worked as an alternative but still would have been better if the console (Slim) had the optical port. I really don't see why the couldn't include it because a lot of Slim users were complaining.

Last edited:
Isn't that just forethought to give the consumers options! There will only be a limited number of drives that will work at optimum performance, maybe none straight from the start, but you may be able to use various drives for extra storage.
I think optical ports are a very niche section of the user base, and when you are trying to make a console to a price, things have to be left out. I'm sure they have put on the least amount of USB's, in the combination of slow and fast slots, they can think they can get away with.

Isn't that just forethought to give the consumers options!

Except there aren't any Gen 4 M.2 drives in 2242 or 2260, not that I know of anyway. Both are largely populated by SATA III and that's not getting anywhere near the mandatory 5.5GB/s read that Sony's setting as a bare minimum. And 22110...why? There aren't any Gen 4 versions of that form factor either, and even if there were...you'd be paying upwards of $300 for a single 1TB drive, if even that cheap.

There will only be a limited number of drives that will work at optimum performance, maybe none straight from the start, but you may be able to use various drives for extra storage.

There are already consumer M.2 drives that exceed 5.5GB/s. And do you mean using various drives, like, simultaneously? There's only one physical x2 or x4 connector there, so that it isn't possible. That would also stress the controller. Unless you mean having multiple M.2 drives in which case...yeah, but again, 2280 is more or less the standard. So, why? :P

It's too big for me to say to my family that it's just a router. :D
Just place it further away. ;) :lol:

If you have never seen it before, look for a video of Father Ted and Cows. :lol:

Except there aren't any Gen 4 M.2 drives in 2242 or 2260, not that I know of anyway. Both are largely populated by SATA III and that's not getting anywhere near the mandatory 5.5GB/s read that Sony's setting as a bare minimum. And 22110...why? There aren't any Gen 4 versions of that form factor either, and even if there were...you'd be paying upwards of $300 for a single 1TB drive, if even that cheap.

There are already consumer M.2 drives that exceed 5.5GB/s. And do you mean using various drives, like, simultaneously? There's only one physical x2 or x4 connector there, so that it isn't possible. That would also stress the controller. Unless you mean having multiple M.2 drives in which case...yeah, but again, 2280 is more or less the standard. So, why? :P
Saying various drives I meant adding a slower single SSD than the high super fast SSD's they said were going to come out to run at the fastest speed to be utilised seamlessly by the system. If there are none of the fast SSD drives available at launch, or if there are, they are at a price point too high at that moment, then maybe any SSD can be added, in various physical sizes, just as extra storage, to not run games from, but to download game files to, and then maybe swap games in an out with the fast internal SSD to run the actual game to take advantage of the technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to go take a measurements where my current ps is and it do not fit. Some cutting is going to be required.

Last edited:
All of that emphasis on QOL over making a new-age tech slab is something that I really welcome. Making the stand both horizontal and vertical is also a great way of letting the designers have their cake and eat it.

I like the merging that they've done between external and internal storage - where you can just insert and format an SSD and then get going, rather than having to leave a hard drive trailing about the place or having to spend hours backing up, formatting and copying. Only real issue that I have is that consoles will have a much shorter lifespan now they rely on flash memory rather than those good ol' fashioned plates.

I might actually pick this one up when GT7 comes out.

If anyone has a Prototype Console (or not, always can wait until the next month), can the Playstation 5 be put next to the Atari 5200 and the biggest Phillips CDi model? I want to see which of these 3 are the biggest.

Only real issue that I have is that consoles will have a much shorter lifespan now they rely on flash memory rather than those good ol' fashioned plates.

I might actually pick this one up when GT7 comes out.

The who? Flash memory should be able to outlast the old plates.

The who? Flash memory should be able to outlast the old plates.
From what I've read, hard drives tend to last longer than flash memory because the plates can be written to with little to no effect on their physical composition, whereas there's essentially a hard limit on how many times any given bit in flash memory can be changed. Where we are today, thousands of stuck bits isn't much of a problem - but when you get to that point, the issues start getting out of hand really quickly.

If anyone has a Prototype Console (or not, always can wait until the next month), can the Playstation 5 be put next to the Atari 5200 and the biggest Phillips CDi model? I want to see which of these 3 are the biggest.

According to google:

CDi 42 x 40 x 9 cm
5200 37.5 x 33 x 10.8 cm
PS5 39 x 26 x 10.4 cm

So by volume at least, its actually the smallest.

Looks even uglier in the video than in promo trailers & pictures. Very well designed though, & an awsome job on the tech side of things.

From what I've read, hard drives tend to last longer than flash memory because the plates can be written to with little to no effect on their physical composition, whereas there's essentially a hard limit on how many times any given bit in flash memory can be changed. Where we are today, thousands of stuck bits isn't much of a problem - but when you get to that point, the issues start getting out of hand really quickly.
I don't know if your comparison is between HDD (mechanical drives) or SSD (Solid State Drives) but if so SSD drives are far superior to HDD in terms of performance/speed and durability. It's why the trend is now moving away from HDD to SSD.

I don't know if your comparison is between HDD (mechanical drives) or SSD (Solid State Drives) but if so SSD drives are far superior to HDD in terms of performance/speed and durability. It's why the trend is now moving away from HDD to SSD.
As it happens, I'm probably behind the curve on this one - I've not been too on top of tech lately, so I've probably missed a fair few steps in performance that have been taken. As that probably is the case, thanks to you and @ROAD_DOGG33J for letting me know.

thankfully mass consumption and subsequent competition will drive them down, definitely motivates me to wait long into the next console cycle to upgrade...

Unfortunately, no. Not quite, anyway. NAND prices is what will drive things down, and I don't know how to tell you this but they're already cheaper than they otherwise would have been. :lol:

Still, prices will fall in a few months time if NAND continues to cheapen over the next 6-12 months as projected.

Unfortunately, no. Not quite, anyway. NAND prices is what will drive things down, and I don't know how to tell you this but they're already cheaper than they otherwise would have been. :lol:

Still, prices will fall in a few months time if NAND continues to cheapen over the next 6-12 months as projected.

Interesting so competition drives up prices, and economies of scale no longer apply rofl

Interesting so competition drives up prices, and economies of scale no longer apply rofl

Right now it isn't specifically competition (though that never hurts), it's oversupply because of the pandemic. These would be even cheaper if it were Gen 3 NVMe, but then it wouldn't be useable in the PS5. Give it a few months and, at the very least, the 1TB will be $199 and cheaper.

Back