sound of cars

• Thread starter IH8GWB
  • 49 comments

IH8GWB

(Banned)
why do GT2 cars sound much better that GT4.

you will think over ten times the stoage space they should sound better.

hey another aussie on here lol. I'm guessing because the graphics are better etc. and theres over 500 cars thay probably didnt have enough space or they couldnt be bothered!

hey i'm Aussie:sly:, i guess with all the cars they didn;t have enough space, mind you they only really put a lot of effort into the graphics so maybe they got lazy

edit: also, welcome to GTPlanet Vtwin

~lthiele~

I think it's because the change in how the car engine noise generated by GT4, to worst. I am annoyed with how the engine noise of different car sound closely the same, especially at high rpm. I think this is programmer's fault, since GT4 may use the same sound data from GT2 too.

I really amazed with GT2 cars sound, stock muffler only, where no corvette or altezza or anything sound exactly the same. Car with the same engine with different displacement will sound different. Same car with different engine will sound different.
But all this from playing it with epsxe + P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver. I forget how it sound from the real console.

Just few days ago I cruising along in autumn ring driving S2000 with manual and drive like how I would drive at real street. 65 mph max, shift up at 4000rpm, cruising at 50mph at 6th gear, bass and treeble at max. It make deep bass sound at low rpm, grunt at high rpm, it really sounds like Honda 👍. I drove around few laps just to hear it's sound :), forgetting that I actually want to tune this car for race ..........

Is it just me that feel GT4 engine noise sounds more like GT1 ?

in gt4 or 2?

i'm going to see the difference with epsxe from the real thing sometime

i don't have gt1 so i can't remember that

I'm gonna disagree slightly with Sucahyo because I don't think they sampled all 600+ cars in the game; I've heard some repeats. On GT4 I can't comment. So far, I've driven only 4 cars in GT4: '83 Civic, Honda Odyessey, Infiniti G20 and the Toyota Matrix (the game calls it the Voltz).

Last edited:
what i hate is how most of the muscle cars sounded. when i first got the game the first thing i did was get the muscle cars and tested them for sound. i spent like an hour trying to plug my guitar amp up so i could get some good sound.

so i get in the barracuda ( one of my favorite cars ever ) and think im going to hear this amazing sound and all i get is a little gay whine. i think polyphony digital is carist. lol.

I think I know whats up with the 'Cuda, I am in America, where you can find bunches of Barracudas, but they are in Japanland and the most powerful cars there have maybe 300 hp. :(

no i knew that. most of their cars either dont make sound or have the coffee can muffler sound to them. that why i was joking with the carist thing. even in gt2 the muscle cars didnt sound to great.

and also i dont know where you live but barracudas are really a rarity. most of the 1970's and 71's are in museums or some yuppys garage. and even if you want one you have to expect to pay 250,000 to 1,000,000 for a nice one. im on the other hand actually looking for a 67 to 69 which you can get for 2,500 to 4,000 for a real project car with a 318. (sorry for going off topic)

in gt4 or 2?
in GT2.

I'm gonna disagree slightly with Sucahyo because i don't think they sampled all 600+ cars in the game; I've heard some repeats.
I don't think they sample all 600+ cars too, it just that I can't point which car sound exactly the same..........
Maybe some civic/delsol sound the same, but in real life they share the same engine too.

hey another aussie on here lol.

Hell yeah, go Australia:sly: :sly:

I reckon the Plymouth Muscle Car on GT2 is the only car that sounds even remotely like a real muscle car.

Also on GT3, for one of the Polyphony F1 cars (can't remember which), they've used same engine sound twice within the whole RPM band. Like, it gets to about 6 or 8 grand (continously rising), and then the same noise fades in at a lower note as the revs rise :scared:

If you leave the exhaust stock on muscle cars, it sounds better than if you change it to sports or semi-racing. I remeber the Plymouth Roadrunner (there never was a Plymouth "muscle car"...it's called a frickin roadrunner) sounded like a Trueno once you hooked up a different exhaust! Even in GT3...the Camaro RAce Car sounds nothing like it should. Never did a modern Camaro have a straight 6...and that's what the car sounds like to me.

from the game. using record function of epsxe audio plugin. Clutch set to engage at 500rpm, I use 3rd gear when recording.
Funny that you asked, do it sound so real?

I've had a fever, cold, and sore throat for the last 3 days. On top of that, everything sounds like it's underwater so I couldn't hear the mp3 very well.

Last edited:
I've had a fever, cold, and sore throat for the last 3 days. On top of that, everything sounds like it's underwaater so i couldn't hear the mp3 very well.
Too bad, hope you can get well soon :).

what made me made also was that they f'd up the rear end on the cuda. i forget the name but a different car had cuda tailights and the cuda had the other cars tailights. i think it might have been a dodge.(sry off topic again)
Interesting :).

what made me mad also was that they f'd up the rear end on the cuda. i forget the name but a different car had cuda tailights and the cuda had the other cars tailights. i think it might have been a dodge.(sry off topic again)

The Challenger R/T

That is why I always use stock exhaust in my tuned car, even in GT4, to prevent me from bored hearing the similar sound over and over.

There's a big difference in the sound quality (for most PSX games) when piping the sound through external speakers via the stereo deck, rather than the mono sound of most TV speakers.

Very true. Awhile back I went to Radio Crack to try & buy some adapters. There's an old 80's-era stereo my sister used to own right next to my TV...but no dice...it would take an entire power amp to push the sound from my PS2 to the triple speakers (tweeter/midrange/woofer) in my room :(

But at least my TV has stereo output. I must say that Sony / Polyphony Digital has always done a much better job with the sound of the cars than it has with the graphics! Guess it helps that Sony has years & years of soudn experperience. God I can't type thanx to Jim Beam.

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnelli Bone
Is that real or from the game?

Quote from Sucahyo: from the game. using record function of epsxe audio plugin. Clutch set to engage at 500rpm, I use 3rd gear when recording.
Funny that you asked, do it sound so real?

I've had a fever, cold, and sore throat for the last 3 days. On top of that, everything sounds like it's underwaater so i couldn't hear the mp3 very well.

Sure PB, likely excuse.:sly: Sorry, I couldn't let this one go, it was too funny sounding.:lol: :P :cool: :cheers: Hey Suc, how did you let that slide with no laughter?:sly:

In all seriousness, I do hope you are feeling better PB.

Back