Special/Clubman Stage Route 5

• Thread starter AP1
  • 20 comments

AP1

Does anyone know where these two tracks are set in? It's listed under city, not original, so it has to be based on a real-life setting.

No, it's one of Polyphony Digital's fantasy tracks.

There was some discussion somewhere awhile back in which some folks were trying to find its location...they said it reminded them of an area in Japan, but so far as I know, nobody has conclusively located it.

Last edited:
first time i saw Route 5 in GT4, i couldn't keep on saying "Wwooooooooowww..," i was so amazed by the changes of the trac, especially Special Stage, the road was wider, lot of room.., it was B-E-A-Utiful.., :D

Is it me or does the shape of the High Speed Ring map remind you of a really squished Fuji 80s?

Clubman is fantasy as far as I know, although if you look up the places on the road signs on the main straight, it may give you a hint as to where Clubman is set.

608.jpg

The sign on the left is South Port I think.

Is it me or does the shape of the High Speed Ring map remind you of a really squished Fuji 80s?

Clubman is fantasy as far as I know, although if you look up the places on the road signs on the main straight, it may give you a hint as to where Clubman is set.

608.jpg

The sign on the left is South Port I think.

The HSR map does look alot like Fuji, I also thought that when I first saw both.

I did a few searches here and there on "Newriver City", no links, no connections. Now that I did this, I feel like searching for more places on the track.

maybe High Speed Ring is derived from FISCO?? maybe, juuust maybe.., SS Route 5 is one of my favorite tracks in GT2, i like that LLLLOOOOOOOONG straight.., 👍

I too miss SSR11, but I don't like the GT3 version. I loved the GT1 track, that was one of the only tracks I ever liked.

To answer the question...

No-one's ever been able to track down a location for R5/11 - though they seem to have real scenery from a variety of places (like the power station, ferris wheel and suspension bridge - think of having a European-style circuit with the Eiffel Tower, the Atomium, the Nou Camp and St. Peter's Basilica).

i too liked SS Route 11 as much as Route 5.., i wish PD would bring it back in GT5 (which would seem impossible by now)

Well good luck guys. As I said, some folks have tried to find Route 5 and Route 11 with no luck.

High Speed Ring (fictional track) was based on Fuji (real track) when GT1 was released over 10 years ago. I read somewhere that the folks over at Fuji had some issue with Polyphony Digital's HS Ring, and that's why it was dropped in GT3, and it's also partially why both Fuji and High Speed Ring appear in GT4 even though their layout is so similar.

Last edited:
Not exactly related to the topic, but still pertinent, I have personally driven the stretches of the Seattle course. It's not a race track per se, but it is based on real streets/freeways in Seattle, WA. It is also documented in the Prima guide that the New York track is based on actual roads in NYC. It is a possibility that SSR5 is also based on a less-known cityscape...

As for where, I have no guess to tender on the matter.

Not exactly related to the topic, but still pertinent, I have personally driven the stretches of the Seattle course. It's not a race track per se, but it is based on real streets/freeways in Seattle, WA. It is also documented in the Prima guide that the New York track is based on actual roads in NYC.

Yes, this has been well-documented....when I lived on the west coast I travelled to Seattle a lot. Driving the city streets of the Seattle Circuit in the manner that the game goes in real-life is impossible because some of those streets are actually 1-way! :scared:

It is a possibility that SSR5 is also based on a less-known cityscape...

As for where, I have no guess to tender on the matter.

Like I said....good luck trying to find where!

Last edited:
Well good luck guys. As i said, some folks have tried to find Route 5 and Route 11 with no luck.

High Speed Ring (fictional track) was based on Fuji (real track) when GT1 was released over 10 years ago. I read somewhere that the folks over at Fuji had some issue with Polyphony Digital's HS Ring, and that's why it was dropped in gT3, and it's also partially why both Fuji and High Speed Ring appear in gT4 even though their layout is so similar.

i was right!! HSR IS derived from the old FISCO.., :sly::lol:

What Famine said, although he could have included Big Ben or Tower Bridge just for British pride. These are like Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and Costa d' Amalfi, Tahiti, etc. which are all fantasy tracks with some real scenery but not actually modelled on real locations.

My own "research:" In SS11, the amusement park is a real place, but none of the roads around it even remotely resemble what's around the park. Then, the bridge you see at the other end of the straight isn't even in the same city, I don't think. There was a lot of discussion in the GT3 forums about the city courses, have a look over there.

OTOH, the "daytime" city tracks are real roads and streets in real locations, and have all been located. Both Paris courses, New York, Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo R246, and Seattle. Of course, Cote d'Azur (Monaco.)

The GT4 version of "real" track maps is here.

I read somewhere, involving High Speed ring, that the track was licenced, after a protracted battle, from NAMCO. apparently, it's one of the original Pole Position Tracks!

I think, special and clubman 5 and route 11 are all simply scratch tracks.

I read somewhere, involving High Speed ring, that the track was licenced, after a protracted battle, from NAMCO. apparently, it's one of the original Pole Position Tracks!

Yes it was one of the tracks in Pole Position arcade games way back in the 80's. :) Very good.

one of the other "original" tracks, I believe, is from Namco as well. I have the Namco Museum disk 3 with pole pos 2 on it.

I'm an old fart. even played a home Pong unit (and I think I still have it!)

To answer the question...

No-one's ever been able to track down a location for R5/11 - though they seem to have real scenery from a variety of places (like the power station, ferris wheel and suspension bridge - think of having a European-style circuit with the Eiffel Tower, the Atomium, the Nou Camp and St. Peter's Basilica).
I was thinking more like, the big ferris wheel in Yokohama and the Yokohama bay bridge.

Back