Speculation for rare car sales and Rally Rd.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 4 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
Usually, when you want to potentially have a return on investment on a rare car, it typically begins with some ultra-wealthy person buying the car outright - which could be hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars - at an auction. Think Sothebys, Barrett-Jackson, or Pebble Beach.

Now, I just recently heard about this app that’s a few years old called Rally Rd, which allows you to buy shares of those same sorts of cars in the same way you’d buy stocks. This makes the speculation of rare cars - as well as other items like comic books, trading cards, and even wines - a lot more accessible. A similar app is Otis, which is said to be rivals with Rally Rd, though it has a larger emphasis on trading shares of items like sealed videogames and even art.

It’s just that with all these limited-production supercars and hypercars being made, I can’t help but to wonder if average Joes like us could truly profit off of, say, a Bugatti Bolide or a Lamborghini Reventon eventually rolling onto the auction block. Might be fun, even. It’s just that with the new Countach only having 112 units, it really got me thinking.

Last edited:
Unless it'll be sitting in my garage ready to be used I ain't buying it... so there's zero chance I'd part buy a car to sit in someone else's garage.

I see that the meme stock/crypto/NFT trends have leaked their ways into cars now. 😔

I second @FPV MIC on this - ‘investing’ on a car is useless unless I, you know, actually OWN the car.

I like how we're not pretending to substitute "investment" for "speculation" anymore. It feels like good progress.
For stuff like this? Yeah. But I’d still call putting money into the stock market “investing,” at least most of the time. That is, barring speculative stocks/ETFs like NIO or something.

Last edited:
Back