Spintires: Mudrunner/snowrunner

EDIT: Not long after I posted this they announced the next (free) DLC for MudRunner! Arriving April 30th on PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch, it contains 2 new trucks and a new map "The Rocky Hills".

https://forums.focus-home.com/topic/37742/announcing-free-dlc-old-timers

1555508320083-mudrunner_old-timers_04.jpg

1555508348805-mudrunner_old-timers_03.jpg
Looking forward to this tomorrow. :)

Good news is if you haven't gotten the American Wilds DLC, it's on sale for $5.00 right now.
Thanks, I guess I'll grab it this time.

Tried the new cars and map, and I like them. Never knew about Chevrolet Napco before, but I like it already. The narrow, bending trailways between rocks are very fun to climb on.
20190501005622_1.jpg

20190501005632_1.jpg

The GMC had an old model of fuel tank when it spawned, with "Flammable" written in Russian. :lol:
Perhaps because I don't have the American Wilds yet.
20190501002046_1.jpg

I coincidentally picked Mudrunner up on Monday and had some fun with it, I mean I spent bloody ages (4 hours?) Doing Shoreline on hardcore with the B-130 - lots of mud, felled trees only rear wheel drive and no diff lock - but it was kind of calming after all the FH4, GT4 and BL2 I've played lately. That said, rather than start the next map I had to take a break, maybe it's too calming.

The Rocky Hills has to be my new favourite map. Had a great time exploring it and loved the verticality of the map. All in all, I really like what the American expansion has to offer so far.

Really wish they would've implemented a photo mode though - or at the least being able to disable the HUD. I don't have a lot left to do in the game since I've gotten all the trophies (except for the MP ones).

A photo mode is my biggest want for the new one coming...

I have also done more "i wonder if i can get up/over there" on the american maps for some reason.

Last edited:
Anyone else know why the Chevrolet Napco is fwd? Seems like a massive oversight on the dev side...

Maybe this has already been answered or there is no answer but is there a difference between Spintires and Mudrunner or is it just Spintires: mudrunner?

Maybe this has already been answered or there is no answer but is there a difference between Spintires and Mudrunner or is it just Spintires: mudrunner?
It's just one game which is sometimes called Spintires and sometimes Mudrunner and sometimes Spintires: Mudrunner.

It's just one game which is sometimes called Spintires and sometimes Mudrunner and sometimes Spintires: Mudrunner.

Not really. Spintires is not Mudrunner (Spintires: Mudrunner was the previous name of Mudrunner). Spintires was released by company called Oovee and Mudrunner is published by Focus Home Entertainment.

In terms of content, Mudrunner is mostly a reworked original Spintires with few additions, color scheme change, dlcs etc.

@kikie
Spintires, the game from 2014 is now called Spintires: The original game.
Spintires: Mudrunner from 2017 is now called just Mudrunner, they ditched "spintires" name completely. Probably some legal problems over the name with oovee.

Last edited:
The new map is quite interesting, but I one-star'd it with the Chevy Napco in two hours flat.

I would be happy if this is a sample of the sort of map-making being done for MR2, but again, the game could benefit from larger maps and the additional gameplay they're working on.

Spintires, the game from 2014 is now called Spintires: The original game.
Spintires: Mudrunner from 2017 is now called just Mudrunner, they ditched "spintires" name completely. Probably some legal problems over the name with oovee.
It seems that Pavel Zagrebelny and Oovee will continue the development of the original Spintires and they parted ways with Saber and Focus Home.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=263280

There are recent news on the game's page on Steam. They released an update containing rain effects, and snow might be added in future.
Changelog

Added / New Features

Dynamic rain with associated water refraction effects (iteration 1).
Dynamic wind with dust effects (iteration 1).
Engine sounds properly based on RPM, with engine fan and turbo.
Brand new engine audio for all trucks (except T700, more replacement engine audio to come later)
Added tire buzz sound.
Added steering pump sound.
Added engine hot cool-down ticking sound.
Added brake dragging sound.
Added brake squeal sound.
Brand new environment, ambient and interaction audio.
Added submerged exhaust particle effects

Reinstated Features

Dynamic tire tracks and mud clumps
SSAO effects
Water push effects
Water dripping particle effects

Improvements / Adjustments

Game palette improved to offer a more realistic (warmer) game rendering.
All ground textures renewed.
Mud/water resistance and friction values adjusted to be closer to that of the original release (more challenging).
Camera zoom out range increased.
Camera auto zoom removed (except on stations).
Steering doesn’t turn the camera anymore.
Improved UI, menu and localisation.
Doubled winch length.
Depth-of-field reduced.
Fog reduced in most cases.
Improved headlights and light rays.
Reduced eye-adaption effects.
Improved damaged engine particle effects.
Improved gear ratios and general handling of all vehicles (except T700).
Improved day/night presets
Brighter night (moonlight)
Improved rock friction for better rock climbing
Increased mud, grass, and vegetation rendering distance.
Removed gear crunching unless engine damaged.

Fixes

Removed unobtainable achievement (trespasser)
Utility semi-trailer light was misplaced

It seems that Pavel Zagrebelny and Oovee will continue the development of the original Spintires and they parted ways with Saber and Focus Home.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=263280

There are recent news on the game's page on Steam. They released an update containing rain effects, and snow might be added in future.

Pavel is the main programmer on Mudrunner 2 at Focus Home Interactive/Saber.

Things added to old spintires are simply mods. The programmer they have is modder named "localhost", he did the spintires plus mod in the past. There isn't much going on, just bringing some features which were deleted from the game with some of the last updates + adding stuff from spintires plus.

That game needs an engine overhaul, not some minor changes to a 2013 game.

Thankfully we got upgraded version in 2017, aka Mudrunner, and now getting an engine overhaul with Mudrunner 2.

Last edited:
I feel like anyone who's looked through some of the mods for Mudrunner 1 knows snow was a thing that was coming. Apparently, it's in the code for Mudrunner. I have some snowy maps downloaded. And since it doesn't appear it's coming officially to Mudrunner 1, it is easy to deduce that it's in there for testing for Mudrunner 2.

A message from Spintires Visionary, Zane Saxton

Dear Spintires Community,

I know how frustrating it’s been for you not hearing from me or receiving any updates for Spintires, and I’m sorry there’s been such a long delay.

I’m pleased to announce that we’re working on an update to Spintires, reinstating previously removed features, and adding new features and content. The first update is coming in April and will be followed by further regular updates, along with continued community support.

Some of you have asked about the defamatory statements that appeared online after the extremely successful release of Spintires in June 2014 which led to false rumours, speculation and outright lies about Oovee Game Studios.

I’m not going to enter into a public mudslinging contest over this, but I do want to address some of the fallacies behind the original Spintires indie hit.

#1 Pavel was underpaid / not paid by Oovee Game Studios
FALSE.
Pavel was paid multimillion dollars by Oovee Game Studios for the work he did on Spintires per his contractual entitlement.

#2 Spintires is Pavel’s game
FALSE
. Pavel assigned his rights in all his work to Oovee Game Studios. Pavel was the lead programmer and worked for Oovee Game Studios on the development of Spintires.

#3 Pavel was the sole developer of Spintires
FALSE.
Pavel was one of many people who contributed and worked on Spintires over the years to bring the ultimate off-road simulation experience to fans.

#4 Oovee Game Studios was just the publisher
FALSE.
Oovee Game Studios are the development studio and co-creators of Spintires. Our publisher was IMGN (although we did self-publish on Steam like you can publish your own book on Amazon).

#5 Oovee Game Studios abandoned the original Spintires game
FALSE.
In June 2015 Saber Interactive approached Oovee Game Studios. This resulted in Oovee Game Studios granting certain rights in the game to Saber under a licence agreement. All rights in the game remained with Oovee. Pavel left Oovee Game Studios and went to work for Saber.

Oovee Game Studios is currently working on updates to Spintires which it will release in the near future.

#6 Spintires is owned by Saber Interactive / Focus Home Interactive
FALSE.
Oovee Game Studios are the sole owner of Spintires, including all code, visual aspects and assets, and the trademark.

#7 Mudrunner / Mudrunner 2 are a different / separate games
FALSE.
Spintires: Mudrunner, Spintires Mudrunner American Wilds, and Mudrunner 2 are all derivatives of the original Spintires game, as acknowledged by the community, who associate these games with the original Spintires game.

What’s next for the Original Spintires game?

All this drama risks overshadowing a simple truth about the original Spintires game: it’s THE ultimate off-roading game. Putting all the drama to one side, the only real problem with the original Spintires game was its finishing touches. Starting with the update in April, and with many more to follow, this will be addressed, making Spintires a much more refined product than the first release, and as we continue to refine and develop Spintires moving forward we’ll also be adding new content and features to bring you MASSIVE value.

We have some exciting announcements to follow, and if you’d like the inside scoop on the latest developments of Spintires, then join our official Spintires Facebook Group

Sincerely,

Zane Saxton - Spintires Visionary

http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/topic/13573-the-truth-behind-spintires-the-original-game/

A message from Spintires Visionary, Zane Saxton...
I'm not buying it, and IMO this sleazy boast is a clue:
All this drama risks overshadowing a simple truth about the original Spintires game: it’s THE ultimate off-roading game. Putting all the drama to one side, the only real problem with the original Spintires game was its finishing touches.
Uh-huh. The original game was honestly little more than a tech demo with some sample levels, and its continued success floats on the community support it receives in the form of mods. Mudrunner is an actual videogame, and MR2 is poised to flesh out the formula even more.

I'm willing to believe the team who is clearly working their butts off to actually build Spintires/Mudrunner into something greater, over the owners of the original IP who seem to be only concerned with trying to milk what they can out of the digital property they own.

My dream off-road game would be:

• The gameplay of 1nsane
  • The graphics of Wreckfest, Pure Rock Crawling, the off-road free roaming map from Just Cause 4
  • The physics of Spintires, Mudrunner and Pure Rock Crawling
  • The tire and suspension model of Spintires, Mudrunner and Pure Rock Crawling
  • The damage model of Wreckfest and BeamNG.
:D

The graphics of Spintire and Mudrunner seem so pale (Of a low intensity of color; light).

You mean 4wd? Disconnect and reconnect the 4wd and see that it disconnects the rear wheels and makes it fwd..... Definitely not how Napco made the conversion on these.
It's like a Subaru BRAT with a Chevy body. :)

When I was a little boy, (:D) I use to play a lot with matchbox cars and other miniature cars. While playing with these cars, I was very, very intrigued by how the suspension (only the wheels in certain models) worked. A few weeks ago, I watched a lot of videos about an R/C from Traxxas, the Unlimited Desert Racer because of the way the suspension on these R/C cars works.

It seems that Spintires and Mudrunner seem to have realistic suspension models and it is only for this that I'm interested in this game. Sadly enough the gameplay looks boring and not for me. Another game, which is also very limited when it comes to gameplay but has a realistic suspension model is Pure Rock Crawling.

Back