SRF GT-MES Season 13 | Finished

Round-7.png

NEARING THE END

After rather dramatic 100h GT-MES-race, Round 6 in Autopolis, we are nearing the end of the season. Both championship leading drivers can mathematically win the title, but need certain things go their way.
Round 7 this weekend is hosted by Laguna Seca, in USA. Last 4 seasons, it has seen some very critical races in terms of championship. Tricky circuit favors skill more than ballast, and most importantly, consistency. One mistake can cost you lot of time, and points.
Changes in pitstop-technology has changed the game in tactics, drivers getting first taste this weekend.

Gr2

Honda is closing in on both titles yet again, they hold Manufacturers-lead and TSR_JoeToGuy now holds very major lead in Gr2-points, thanks to his dominating win in Autopolis. British-driver qualified second behind his teammate Nils, and was able to challenge him for lead already in Turn 1. Nils caught damage from car behind them, and TSR_JoeToGuy was able quickly to take the lead. When Nils decided already in lap 1, and cars behind them also been having struggles in turn 1, TSR_JoeToGuy was able to dominate from there. He was even able to pit for new tires, and take fastest lap. Maximum 21-points in the bag has given him small chance to win his second title, first in Gr2, already this weekend. But he needs some things to go his way, even if he was to win the race. Winning again wont be easy, as he has most ballast, by quite a margin: ''I'm not expecting much with 11% ballast, but the track may suit NSX more than the other cars''. He won his first ever GT-MES race in Laguna Seca, driving Gr2, by big margin, so expect him to still be fast. Nils lost lot of positions when he pitted on lap 1, and with overtaking being more than difficult in Autopolis, he was only able to get to 4th place. German is in very difficult position to defend his title, last podium was on Round 3, he needs to win in Laguna Seca. Despite winning here in Season 9, win that proved to critical to his title that season, he has since struggled badly in Laguna Seca. Last 3 times here, he has shown solid speed, but several mistakes have kept him off the podium: ''I hope Laguna Seca is going to be better compared to the previous seasons, with the current ballast situation it should definitely be a bit more possible than the last few times''.

Lexus was hoping for win, but it was not in the cards. Quali-speed suggested win was already out of reach, and then both cars went off in Turn 1. After eventful 40 minutes, FRGT_Spookyluki finished second place, FRGT_Hatton93 took third. Post-race FRGT_Spookyluki was given penalty for first lap accident, swapping Lexus-pair around. Heading in to Laguna Seca, both drivers need big race, and one wonders if both can keep their title-hopes alive, and if they need to rely on team-orders. But especially FRGT_Hatton93 has complained about lack of feeling ahead of Round 7: ''Not very confident at all for Laguna, not a fan of the track and cant seem to get a good flow going, lapping will be difficult and strategy will be interesting due to the update, just hope to put ourselves in a strong position for Le Mans''. FRGT_Spookyluki also says he is not expecting much, but he was fast last season here, finishing 3rd.

Nissan had race to forget in Autopolis. sota59 struggled with pace as expected, but somehow jumped from 5th to 1st end of lap 1. But with heavy car and no confidence, he slowly dropped down the field, eventually finished 5th. jonimestari91 was not even able to start the race due lazy taxi-driver, and this has some serious effects on his ballast, coming to Laguna Seca, where he dominated last season. Rather than having very light car, he now has one of the heaviest. Reports from pre-event testing say, not to expect lot from 2-time Gr2-champion this weekend, and his title-chances will come to final end. His teammate sota59 is best of the rest in terms of points in Gr2, and has path to title, but it is starting to be quite a challenge, and result is expected here: ‘’It is not maybe must win race, but pressure is high to stay in fight for Le Mans. Aim is to win, how possible it is, I don’t know’’. sota59 has been on podium in Laguna Seca all 4 seasons circuit been on calendar, including win in Season 10.

Gr3

Subaru looking to take it all in their first season back in GT-MES. Trailing in Manufacturers-championship by only one point, and in drivers-championship TSR_Tomsoft holds good lead. German won in Autopolis as expected, also taking fastest lap, and now returning to circuit he won in last season. Ballast will really hold him back, but to watch extent, we need to wait and see. He sounds confident of result: ''Weight will make it difficult, but I have my strategy worked out and I think it'll do well there. Pace looks decent so podium is needed and definitely in there''. If he gets result go his way this weekend, he has small chance to take the title, otherwise title will be decided in Le Mans, circuit that should not suit Subaru, and where TSR_Tomsoft struggled last season. His teammate this weekend will be VLX_CJohn, who won both races he started this season in Round 2 and 3. Thanks to this, he has heavy ballast, but like his teammate, dont count him out for podium.

Mazda had way better weekend in Autopolis, FRGT_Revs could not start, but FRGT_Bottlejob finished second, taking big points. He had quite a fight for podium places at beginning, but eventually he took second place very easily, even though he did not have pace to win. Ballast will again be on his side this weekend, and car should again favor Mazda, as they have won here past 2 seasons. FRGT_Bottlejob brings up strategies as key for good result: ''With the latest update and pit time loss, we will have to wait and see what this does to the tyre strategies''. FRGT_Revs also has quite a good ballast this weekend, and hopes for good points: ''Looking to make the most of a lighter car on one of the stronger tracks for the Mazda. Not a particular fan of Laguna but hoping to put in some hard practice and get it down for Saturday''.

Mercedes had another good weekend, as thunderpigeon got another third place: ''I surprised myself with the pace I had at Autopolis. I could have taken 2nd in qualifying but bottlejob was just that fraction quicker when it mattered. The race didn't go to plan. A mistake at T1 on lap one saw me tap Bottlejob and we both lost out to tazz. Bottlejob got past and I took a while longer to pass, losing valuable time. The different strategies between Bottlejob and I gave an interesting dynamic to the race. A slow middle stint with traffic saw me come out 5s behind after my final pit on slower tyres. I couldn't get the mediums to work as well as practice and realised 2nd was out of reach. I took a chance and pitted again to try for the fastest lap, timing to to perfection with 4th place Tazz 0.5s behind after exiting the pits. Sadly, Tomsofts pace was too good and I didn't get the extra point. Happy with another podium''. amuda74 was back to his old self in Autopolis, finishing last by quite a margin. But we now go to his favorite two circuits, first Laguna Seca, his hometrack. His ballast should be good, so we should see some speed, but also his consistancy is question-mark, there will be no room for mistakes. thunderpigeon is not hopeful of 3rd straight podium: ''I'm not expecting anything at Laguna, this is my least favourite track on the calendar and I've not raced on this track since the addition to GTS... If I finish the race with no penalties and without spinning, I'll be happy!''

Porsche had mixed race. de-luck4 made his way from back of the grid to 5th, 4th after penalties, but that was not good enough to keep Porsche in realistic contention for manufacturers-title. y_bearr_ was in need of good result for championship, but he had to retire with technical issues. This weekend race in Laguna Seca is almost must win for him, to stay in mathematical contention in Le Mans, but he has struggled in this circuit past 2 seasons: ''My internet connection has been ok since few days ago, I hope it'll stay that way and I will get a good result for this last 2 round. Car is good for Laguna Seca, I don't feel my +3 ballast, and my laptime is faster than last season. So let see how it will become''. This is another team that might need to rely on team-orders to keep atleast one of their drivers in title-fight, as de-luck4 has quite a bit better chances of two. Result is needed and Laguna Seca is luckily his favorite track: ''Laguna Seca is my favorite track, but in practice had some chalange with consistensy also from last season race i see that traffic makes huge impact on result. With that said i am looking for interesting race''.

Toyota had very difficult race in Autopolis, as GTO250GTO finished in his favorite position 6th, and G4 Rotary came home in 7th place. While GTO250GTO is aiming for another 6th place, G4 Rotary has work ahead of him to stay in title-contention for Le Mans. But Supra should struggle here, and with podium quite likely needed this weekend, he has turned his head to Le Mans already: ''I love Laguna Seca but again it dosent really suit the supras characteristics, I'm just hoping I can set up good momentum for a win at Le Mans''.

Round-8.png

LE MANS FINALE

After long season, we head to France for Round 8 of Season 13. Le Mans will host Season Finale for 12th time, and as always, all 3 titles are to be decided on this legendary circuit.
Even though circuit is very high-speed, it is by far longest lap of the season. Getting perfect lap in qualifying is almost impossible, and during the race, consistency is key. There is not many corners, but you need to nail them, and even smallest of mistakes can cost you time. Top speed will be very important.
1 hour long race will reward drivers with more points than other races, so race is must attend for everyone, and performance here almost always determines, where you finish in championship. There are 2 drivers fighting for both Gr2- and Gr3-titles, also 2 manufacturers fight for Manufacturers-title.

Gr2

TSR_JoeToGuy in Honda started season as biggest favorite, coming off from Gr3-title, and had impressed in Gr2-class before that. He head to Le Mans again with 3 wins and championship-lead, and has only finished outside Top 2 once. His consistency been key, and his way of staying out of trouble. Round 1 he won when his teammate was whipped out in T1 from the lead, this happened again in Round 6, and his third win came in Round 7 last week, when leader ran out of fuel: ‘’ The season has gone very well. I've had 3 wins and only finished below 2nd place once. I've been helped throughout the season by other drivers' mistakes, and my usual consistency has paid off well’’. Like last season, he holds pretty sizable points lead, but title is yet to be decided. Last season he became first driver ever to win title outside podium positions in Le Mans, and secured title by only one point, when backmarker took fastest lap away from his rival. And now again, he will be have lot of work to do to get top Top 3 to secure his title, and might need to rely on bit of luck to stay in the lead, and win his second title: ‘For Le Mans I'll need to hope that title-outsider have good pace and a clean race, as I doubt I can be quick enough to come in 3rd or take fastest lap’’. Title would be Honda’s 11th in 13 seasons in GT-MES.

sota59
in Nissan has had up-and-down season, but is still in title contention, as he looks to take his 6th-title, first since Season 5. Season started in Nurburgring with first corner crash, but he climb his way to back to the podium. Another podium in Red Bull Ring was followed 2 weeks later with win in Spa. It was his first win since Season 11. He was half a lap away of taking his second win of the season in Laguna Seca, last week, but ran out of fuel, dropping to second place. Despite losing bunch of points, and handing them to his championship-leader, he still has door open to win the title in Le Mans. He needs to win the race, and Joe to be out of the podium, but even though he has won Le Mans record 5-times, and been on podium last 4 seasons, he has quite a bit more ballast than some others: ‘’Final lap was heartbreaking last week in Laguna Seca, and I will need that luck, and bit more this weekend. Penalty to start back of the class does not help things, and ballast will hold me back, but let see. Seen crazier things happen. Goal is to finish top 3 in championship again atleast’’.

FRGT_Spookyluki
in Lexus has enjoyed his best season to date, but is out of the title fight. Season started nicely with second place in Nurburgring, and then he got win in Dragon Trail after dominant drive. Another two podiums in Autopolis and Laguna Seca followed, but penalty that dropped him from second to third in Autopolis and drama ahead of him that saw championship-leader TSR_JoeToGuy take extra points, means FRGT_Spookyluki cant win the title. But he is still very upbeat of his season: ‘’ Season was good, wasn't expecting to win with Joe now in Gr2 but had some good battles, hope next season I'll be even better’’. Even though he cant win the title, there is still much to play. Winners of Le Mans is very limited list, and this weekend FRGT_Spookyluki is one of the biggest favorites: ‘’ Low weight is going to provide a good advantage so hopefully going to challenge for a win’’. He has said in past he is very good in Le Mans, and win not only would promote him to second in championship, but it would be also first win for Lexus in Le Mans.

His teammate FRGT_Hatton93 has bit of a ‘’what if’’- season. Clearly most successful-driver in GT-MES history to not win race, and he has been close. He finished on podium in Round 2, and then in Round 3 he was leading with few laps to go, before slipping down all the way down to 4th. He was one of the favorites going in to Dragon Trail and Autopolis, but both times, he clearly had no pace to win, but showed class to take podium. Like his teammate, he will have good car in Le Mans. He just missed win in Season 11 in here, so pace is there, maybe take that win finally: ‘’ Le Mans could be interesting with the new pitstop times, depending on how long others can make the fuel last, i think we should be fighting for a podium with both cars if all goes to plan’’.

Defending champion Nils stayed in Honda, and it looked like he was in good position to try successfully defend his title again. Even though he pump the brakes on the hype-train, poleposition in Round 1 looked like warning shot. But he was wiped out in Turn 1, ended up finishing 6th. Dominating win then came eventually next weekend, and another podium week after, but then it all went away. Great qualifying-results as always, but he could not get back to podium. Crashed in to from the lead in Autopolis and then missing race in Laguna Seca was final nail in the coffin: ‘’ It was the most difficult season I've ever had, not because of the racing itself but more because of the fact I went through a really hard time in my life during it, especially in the first half. That's also the reason why my performances have been fallen off the cliff a bit compared to last season - I know there are voices who still think otherwise but I rather say nothing than something negative about that. My results might look like a mess too, but 2 races - the one at the Red Bull Ring and especially Lago Maggiore - have saved it all for me. Lago Maggiore was arguably the most perfect round I've ever had in a league, or at least in a very long time. The Red Bull Ring race has made me smile because of the great battles we fought towards the end. So overall more bad than good races but the ones that were good, well those were exceptionally good’’. He has lightest car in the grid this weekend, and after winning in Le Mans 3 times in the past, he is favorite. But he wont set objectives: ''My goal is to have a clean last race this season, that's really all I'm hoping for after the last races. It's a 1h race so I don't know on which position I could possibly finish yet''.

jonimestari91 in Nissan has had one of the hardest seasons in long time, not been in contention most of the time, other than when he won in Red Bull Ring, and third place in Spa. He might been in contention in last races of the season, but he missed race in Autopolis, and then in Laguna Seca. He still carries his ballast from his podiums, so it is unlikely he can contend for win this weekend, if he can make it to the grid. 2-time champion is looking already to next season.

Gr3

TSR_Tomsoft has returned Subaru back to winning ways. German was one of the preseason favorites, and after first two rounds, he lead the championship with two second places in his name. Next couple races proved to be difficult, but then he took surprise pole in Spa, and made last lap overtake to take the win. Dominating win in Autopolis followed, and German was close last weekend of taking the title early. He could not do it, but still got important podium, and he leads championship by big way heading in to Le Mans Finale. But he has heaviest car in the grid, and drives cars that should be in disadvantage on long straights: ''Round 8 I have no big massive hopes to be honest, having a comfortable lead is great, but anything can happen and even getting a podium seems unlikely for me''. Podiums seems extremely unlikely, and can only hope, his closest rival does not win the race.

y_bearr_ stayed in Porsche for 3rd season, and was also one of the biggest favorites for the title. Well, he has still a shot of winning it, but he has had very hard season. It all started well, Indonesian won in Round 1, but next weekend he only just made it to the 8th place, earning one point. Things were not much easier in Red Bull Ring, but he returned to podium in Dragon Trail. Then another difficult race followed in Spa, because technical issues and then in Autopolis technical issues meant he had to DNF. He saved his title hopes last weekend with his second win of the season, but only just: ''This season is worse than last season. I'm faster this season but the connection issue had been **** me up. Anyway I had a good race when My connection is right. In fact we all faster together, almost at every race we saw someone smashed the last season PB''. To win title, he needs to atleast win the race, and despite his podiums in Le Mans last 2 seasons, win looks unlikely: ''Round 8 will be harder than last season. I will have +5 ballast, Deluck none, Rotary and GTO have OP cars for straight line speed. But I don't give up, I believe there is a few tenths are able to squeeze from the car''.

de-luck4 has been surprise of the season. Despite not being in title fight any longer, he been in top half of the grid almost every race. He just missed podium in Nurburgring due penalty, but podium in Lago Maggiore and then win in Dragon Trail lifted him to championship lead. Struggles with ballast and penalty in Spa cost him dear, it was still looking good in Laguna Seca last week, driving to podium place, and keeping him in title fight, but then mistakes dropped him down the field. He has had fine season, despite being bit disappointed of dropping out of the fight: ''This season brings me mixed feelings. At first part i was driving confidently and was fighting for podiums. At Spa race had to feel high ballast for first time and from here all went downhill for me. Still don't know what exactly happened. Maybe i met my goal too early (to win race with gr3) or chalange was too big (to race with high balast) and i ran out of steam. Now looking forward to season final, to finish it and relax, try to reflect on what actually happened and learn, so i could come back stronger for next season''. Despite running one of the lightest cars in the field, he says he is struggling with setup and confidence, so win number two for the season does not seem to be in the cards.

G4 Rotary has had solid first season in Gr3. Coming down from Gr2, he choice tricky Supra, and it has been season of highs and lows. Season started with podium, and he was fighting for win in high speed circuits like Red Bull Ring and Spa, but came just short both times, Spa example getting overtaken from the lead in last lap. Technical, slow circuit proved to be killers for the Supra, and he was unable to finish high enough in Laguna Seca to be in shot of title in Le Mans this weekend: ''I knew it would be tough season, I'd say 6 or 7 people are fast enough to win races without a ballast advantage, and in a car that is notorious for being difficult to drive I had two races wins stolen from under my nose. Now me and GTO both have a good chance at winning at Le Mans, the car is fast and Le Mans is one of my best tracks''. Rotary has won in Le Mans two times, Season 9 he came far back to steal his first title, and last season he dominated the Gr2-class from start to finish. You could see more of that this weekend, as he looks to take his first Gr3-win.

FRGT_Bottlejob has had good rookie season in Mazda. After his DNF in Round 1, he went on to take podiums in Red Bull Ring, Autopolis and Laguna Seca, but other races he has been other half of the field. Still, 3 podiums as a rookie, is very good, and there is still one race to go. Mazda has one in Le Mans past two seasons, but new drivers are yet to figure out high speed setup.

Mercedes got themself 2-time champion thunderpigeon for this season. After not racing full time for very long while, start was tough, but has since got himself pole-position, and couple podiums: ''I have had a mixed season, and felt I could have done better overall. I started the season below my potential pace at tracks I enjoyed and tend to perform well at. After a set up change, I managed to drag myself up to higher places and even achieved a surprise pole position! I was able to score two podiums, and I am very pleased about that and met the target I set myself when signing up to race again. The competition is very tough and the standard has improved since my previous entry. I would like to be further up the points table, but hopefully a good result in LM will allow me to get close to Bottlejob. Bottlejob has been that tiny bit quicker and more consistent than me all season and my target now is to narrow that gap''. Le Mans is no strange place for thunderpigeon, he won his both title here in past, and took race win in Season 6. Mercedes seems good fit for the circuit, and his ballast is not too bad. Can he return top of the podium? ''I enjoy the track and the Merc had race winning potential at spa, so hoping that can apply here. I don't think strategy will be a race decider here, just pure pace. Looking forward to it''.

GTO250GTO been one of the feel good stories this season. Coming of debut podium end of last season, he has stepped up his game, even when driving maybe hardest car in the grid. Despite finishing in his usual 6th place half the races, he has shown more consistency, and speed. Surprise pole in Red Bull Ring was followed with podium next weekend, and last weekend in Laguna Seca, he left with fastest lap. ''Overall I'm reasonably pleased with the season. It was a lot of fun driving for Paradox Sim Sport and being associated with Nukeshot Motorsport. It took me a couple of races to get used to the new car, but after that my pace was not that bad. Although the race results don't really show that. I managed to qualify in the Top 4 four times, got my first pole, so that was definitely a positive. Nevertheless, while I think I made another step forward this season, there is still a lot of room for improvement''. His Supra has proven to be quite a machine on highspeed circuits, so it is no surprise, GTO is aiming for podium: ''Although I usually struggle at fuel saving races, I am actually hoping for a repeat podium at Le Man''. He took his first podium in Le Mans last season.

amuda74 jumped back in to Mercedes this season, car that won title last season with same BoP. Despite 4th places in Spa and Laguna Seca, it has been again very difficult season: ''I think this season was one to forget, even if I did improve my consistency. A lack of practice at the beginning of the season cost me. I’ve found some pace towards the end of the season after Spa and Laguna Seca though, so hopefully we can finish on a high note in Le Mans. From what I have been testing, I think that both of us Mercs will have a shot to win, but it is a long race so we will see what happens''. amuda got his only podium two seasons ago in Le Mans, so expectations are high to get pack to podium finally.

FRGT_Revs has had difficult rookie season in Mazda, DNF to start the season, accidents from good position in Red Bull Ring, first point finally came in Dragon Trail, and then another point in Spa. After missing Autopolis race and struggling in Laguna Seca, he is sitting bottom of the standings. He has lightest car in the field, maybe good race in Le Mans?

Season-13-Gr2champ.png

Gr2 champion: TSR_JoeToGuy!

Dominant season, he took 3 wins, and was on podiums in 7 of 8 races! To gap of the title, he took clutch podium in Le Mans!
This is his second title, after winning Gr3-title last season.

Season-13-Gr3champ.png

Gr3 champion: TSR_Tomsoft!

In Gr3-class that saw lot of action, he managed to get 2 wins and was on podium in 5 races.
He was most constant, and that paid off.

Season-13-manu.png

Manufacturers-champion: Honda!

It was another season of dominance, 5 wins, podium every race. This is their 8th title in 11 seasons.

Back