SSR11 in tha pug

• Thread starter ving
  • 8 comments
SSR11 in tha pug

This mornings run I had decided would be at a leisurely pace.

With my brand new pug 206 s16 on the trailer, I headed down to the track. I had no idea how this car would handle but i knew it wouldnt be as fast as my Fiat.

After a lengthy meeting with my crew about what pit strategies I took a quick look at the car. Smooth Euro lines, agressive looking vents in the bonnet, and the ugliest wheels i have ever seen!
(mental not: find better wheels)

down to the grid... I eye off the competition:
5th crx
4th mx5 (miata 1.8)
3rd celica ss 2
2nd (something dark that i never saw and forgot to take a note of)
1st altezza rs200

I started in 6th position in the 10 lap race. At the green lights I spent too much time spinning the wheels and the pack left me for dead. I shift into 2nd and slowly move off.
I dont catch the bumper of the mx5 untill the 4th corner wher in a coragous move i cut down the inside and tuck in behind the crx... this is how the positions stay for the next 3 laps where I am forced to pit.
thankfully the crx pits too (positions 1 - 3 have pitted already), but the mx5 doesnt!
Leaving the its i find myself in 6th again, but right on the tail of the crx. I take him on turn 2 and we both catch and pass the mx5 mid lap. the mx5 pits at the end of lap 5.

lap 6, and i have been pushing the pug as fast as it'll go withand the tires are wearing thin but so has the crx and the mx5 is slowly pulling us in.
I pit with the crx about 3-4 sec behind me. the mx5 doesnt pit.
lap 7 and i have a small gap on the crx (about 5 secs) and the mx5 has almost caught me but pits.
roaroing down the main straight (as much as the lil' pug will roar) i notice a car leaving the pits, its the celica in 3rd and pull up about 2 sec on its tail. I tail the celica for the entire lap trying to catch up and gain 1 second by the main straight.
unforutnatley it has more legs and gets a 3 second break on me by the end of the srtaight.

lap 8 and the mx5 is on my tail. I had pushes my lil' french car too hard to try and catch the celica and the tires were showing it... the celica now slips away from me @ 3.5 sec.

lap 9my tires are now orange and i really dont want to have to pit at the end of this lap with only one to go!
the crx is catching up a bit, but my main problem is the mx5 which is bumping me on some corners now as my fronts deteriorate.
lap 10. sure that the mx5 will pit i keep going around knowing that i will get enuff of a lead to beat him... he doesnt pit! :eek:
nor does the crx. My fronts are red and i am nursing the car around the bends a bit. the crx and mx5 seem to be suffering too.

I finish the race, not really being threatened much on the last lap to get a somewhat respectable 4th place. over all, not too bad.
one thing i learned, i have to keep momentum thru the corners in the french wonder. it also has great handling :)

Back