Stan Lee dead at 95

• Thread starter Populuxe
  • 61 comments
Bill Maher is drawing a lot of flak online for using Lee's death to sneer at comics fans.

https://www.real-time-with-bill-maher-blog.com/index/2018/11/16/adulting

Probably should of quoted your more recent post but I feel the effect is the same either way. The guy is essentially calling pop culture and iconic figures be them real and non-real, a non factor and stupid to use as a means of interest or inspiration. Also (angrily as is the case for him) using it as a thin means to suggest this is why among so many real reasons that aren't this, to why Trump was elected.

The irony of it all is what you posted in your more recent post that was found on Twitter where he decided to take part in a movie based on these books that he sees playing no role. Only so he in part could theoretically get paid and play a role that many would see and thus be a benefit to him. Furthermore, it's interesting how one seemingly pop culture figure tries to disclaim another far bigger pop culture icon/figure and the icons he created.

Maher's last line in his blog is biting: I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to suggest that Donald Trump could only get elected in a country that thinks comic books are important. :ouch:

Nah, it's all pretty crappy. Lots of people don't like Trump and still read comics. Marvel even featured Obama on the front of an issue of Spider-Man after discovering he was a fan.

obama_spidey.jpg

Meanwhile countries like Belgium and Japan which have a well established comics industry didn't elect Trump.

According to Wonder Woman writer G. Willow Wilson at least he's managed to unite Trump hating (or loving) comics fans and comics loving (or hating) Trump fans against him like the fake alien invader bringing about the end of the cold war in Watchmen.

Last edited:
I've been discussing this on the CGC message boards. I'm glad I got Stan to sign my arm (now its a tat) when I did. Reading was straight awful until I read comics. To this day, I don't read anything but comics (and message boards). #whyreadthebookwhenicanwatchthemovie

Jerome

Nah, it's all pretty crappy. Lots of people don't like Trump and still read comics. Marvel even featured Obama on the front of an issue of Spider-Man after discovering he was a fan.

View attachment 780933

Meanwhile countries like Belgium and Japan which have a well established comics industry didn't elect Trump.
I took it as Maher's "basket of deplorables" comment.

I took it as Maher's "basket of deplorables" comment.
No surprises there. However, I think most people were more concerned with the timing of his cashing in on the death of a beloved creator for the sake of self publicity than the fact that he threw in an anti Trump jibe, and felt that the whole blog post was equally wrongheaded and tone deaf. Probably just me though.

Last edited:
Well, Maher has his moment of relevance again. Shot himself in the foot doing it, but still, relevant again!

In a way I almost feel sorry for Bill Maher (I said almost) because clearly his inner child died at about 20 years old and his adult self can no longer enjoy things that require an imagination or creativity of any kind for that matter. What a sad, bitter, shriveled, windless bag of hot air he is. I mean, I get what he is saying, Comic books are not Tolstoy's War and Peace or Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men but to write them off as not having any complex sophisticated ideas, plot lines or characters just shows you how out of touch he is with the Comic Book world (and he really shouldn't be commenting on something he clearly doesn't know anything about). In other words, because you read a couple of Hardy Boys comics as a kid, that doesn't mean your are qualified to pass some sort of judgment on an entire industry, or even worse, an iconic comic book legend like Stan Lee.

But hey, while he is picking the bones of a sweet, enduring, beloved old man that just died as some sort of publicity stunt (for crying out loud), perhaps Bill Maher should double down on his stupidity and pick on Betty White next. I mean, why not, she only the most beloved, sweet little old lady still living in the entertainment world. I'm sure he would get all kinds of attention for that too.

Last edited:
^"Far left echo chamber" :rolleyes:

Political commentators who want to make it about left and right are missing the point. Stan Lee transcended the political divide. It's about having the taste and decency not to trash someone and their art form when they just died. You don't have to be a right winger to appreciate that.

Hilarious comments on that video about how only right wingers are defending Stan Lee from Maher. LMAO.

The first comics to come out since Stan Lee's passing could be acknowledged have hit the shelves. Every comic has Stan's name and year of birth and death on a black banner where the logo would normally be. The title is just small text in the bottom corner. It's being done across the range. These just happen to be the titles I'm reading right now.

You open the book and this is the first page:

The last page has this from Stan himself. I think this is a wonderful tribute.

Last edited:
It was a very classy tribute. I'm just sorry he missed Ben Grimm's marriage in Fantastic Four's 650th issue this month.

It's incredibly sad that someone would take advantage of anyone like that.

Last edited:
Martin Scorsese's comment that Marvel isn't cinema has reignited the garbage dumpster fire of internet opinion.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/martin-scorsese-marvel-theme-parks-1203360075/

His opinion was taken way out of proportion. that is the age of clickbait titles. Looking at his statement:

"It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

I would say he didnt even took the trouble to seeing the movies. In my opinion the Marvel movies convey many complex emotions and that is why these movies have been succesfull. I think he has this incorrect view these movies are like Michael Bay movies.

Back