Star Trek's Leonard Nimoy Diagnosed With Serious Lung Disease, Tells Fans to Stop Smoking

Bad news indeed. I hope it is not terminal?

You can't make people stop smoking just by telling them to stop smoking because there is a huge risk of developing a smoking releated disease. People are:

1) too stupid to understand

2) too stubborn

3) feel invinsible. They think that this will never happen to them. If only they knew...... . This is a very dangerous attitude.

4) don't care.

Bad news indeed. I hope it is not terminal?

You can't make people stop smoking just by telling them to stop smoking because there is a huge risk of developing a smoking releated disease. People are:

1) too stupid to understand

2) too stubborn

3) feel invinsible. They think that this will never happen to them. If only they knew...... . This is a very dangerous attitude.

4) don't care.

You forgot:

5) addicted to a drug

Sad news, Smoking is so illogical.

My wife is currently taking a smoking cessation course through the OTRU (Ontario Tobacco Research Unit), the statistics are scary.

Last edited:
You don't believe nicotine is addictive?

I believe it's addictive (it's been proven to boot) but not to the extremes people make it out to be. Maybe I just haven't smoked long enough.

I believe it's addictive (it's been proven to boot) but not to the extremes people make it out to be. Maybe I just haven't smoked long enough.
I dunno man, it's not "people" making it out to be addictive, it's mountains of evidence and an understanding of how it alters your brain.

As someone who has never smoked, I can't understand why so many people do it in the first place.

Legitimate question: What does smoking add to one's life, apart from lung cancer?

Generally people start as a social thing and then it becomes something they do socially and over time get addicted. Someone offers you a smoke while you're drinking and then every time you go drink you have a smoke or two, eventually you start buying them so you're not freeloading off your friends and then you're addicted.

As someone who has never smoked, I can't understand why so many people do it in the first place.

Legitimate question: What does smoking add to one's life, apart from lung cancer?

Kind of a social thing, and some (depending) of them I actually quite like the taste of. Same reason people start drinking.

I dunno man, it's not "people" making it out to be addictive, it's mountains of evidence and an understanding of how it alters your brain.

I've smoked a share of cigarettes and never once felt addicted. Did I enjoy them? Yeah, on occasion. Do I need them? Absolutely not. I am just fine without them. But like I said, maybe it's because I haven't smoked long enough.

I have family who smoke, so I can add a different perspective to the conversation. Smoking calms one's nerves at first, sort of like how a pot head gets his drag of marijuana and remains calm for hours on end. Then it gets to the point where you act like you are ADD and the only thing that calms you is the cigarette. Then it becomes ineffective, so you do something stupid.

Last friday, a friend of mine told me that his father is also diagnosed with COPD. His father refuses to stop smoking and is in denial.

It doesn't, but before people realize this they get chemically addicted. Nicotine is a real sumbitch to kick.

I've smoked a share of cigarettes and never once felt addicted. Did I enjoy them? Yeah, on occasion. Do I need them? Absolutely not. I am just fine without them. But like I said, maybe it's because I haven't smoked long enough.

Last I checked, you're not in your twenties. You might have a narrow experience here...

Ahh the "Do as I say, not as I do" approach. Hope it works.

Sucks to be him but I'm sure he'll have access to the best medical care in the world so "LLAP"

It's

A. Addicting
B. Habit
C. Enjoyable
D. Relieves stress better than anything on the planet (yes, even weed)

I'm 27 and started smoking cigarettes at age 16. I was born and raised around smoke my whole life, it was inevitable. My mother died last year from small cell lung cancer at age 56. She was a very heavy smoker since age 18. My father is 69 years old, healthy, and has been a heavy smoker since age 18 as well. Everybody is different and everybody reacts differently to different drugs.

It's

A. Addicting
B. Habit
C. Enjoyable
D. Relieves stress better than anything on the planet (yes, even weed)

I'm 27 and started smoking cigarettes at age 16. I was born and raised around smoke my whole life, it was inevitable. My mother died last year from small cell lung cancer at age 56. She was a very heavy smoker since age 18. My father is 69 years old, healthy, and has been a heavy smoker since age 18 as well. Everybody is different and everybody reacts differently to different drugs.

Sorry to hear she died at a young age. My mother stopped smoking some years ago, I followed and then my dad also stopped smoking. I started smoking at around 14, but that was just trying. When I was 15 I had a girl who smoked and I began smoking with her and after some time I started buying my own cigarettes. October first 2011 I stopped smoking. It was strange.. I went to my grandmother that day because my granddad died on that die a few years earlier (of cancer). Lighted the first and it was very nasty and was suddenly against it. Didn't smoke that day and kept that going for a year. Now occasionally I take a cigarette from a colleague, now that's a stress relieve. I really like doing that, take a cigarette now and then... And after that I don't want a cigarette, that one is enough for the day. Or week. It's really strange but sometimes I just want one and that one is more than enough.

Though I have yet to meet a cigarette that gives me a better stress relieve than weed :P

Is smoking really such a stress killer? Just asking because I don't know.
Or is it the thought that smoking relieves stress, makes the stress go away?

A bit of both. There is surely a small placebo effect.

The main thing though is when a smoker hasn't had a cigarette in a while, they start to get withdrawal. This can make them stressed. Having a cigarette relieves the stress but only by satisfying the craving.

I smoked a cigarette once when I was 12 years old, hated it, and never smoked ever since, that was over 20 years ago.

My little brother and my old man both are heavy smokers, so I guess it's individual choice.

The very first time I was allowed to taste a pipe by my father's friend, I blew instead of suck. :D

Sorry to hear she died at a young age. My mother stopped smoking some years ago, I followed and then my dad also stopped smoking. I started smoking at around 14, but that was just trying. When I was 15 I had a girl who smoked and I began smoking with her and after some time I started buying my own cigarettes. October first 2011 I stopped smoking. It was strange.. I went to my grandmother that day because my granddad died on that die a few years earlier (of cancer). Lighted the first and it was very nasty and was suddenly against it. Didn't smoke that day and kept that going for a year. Now occasionally I take a cigarette from a colleague, now that's a stress relieve. I really like doing that, take a cigarette now and then... And after that I don't want a cigarette, that one is enough for the day. Or week. It's really strange but sometimes I just want one and that one is more than enough.

Though I have yet to meet a cigarette that gives me a better stress relieve than weed :P

I can go for long periods without a cigarette and without wanting one, but when I'm stressed because of work or anything along those lines, a cigarette does a lot more for me than weed. I don't like to smoke it before work or while at work so a cigarette is really my only option. I can stay sober and relieve my stress, lol.

It's been about seven years since I smoked regularly. It's been about two years since I smoked my last cigarette. It's been a couple hours since I wanted one.

I used to ocasionally smoke, but I mean veeeeeeeeeeeery rarely. Then, I was reading a certain book that really influenced my life. It wasn't about smoking, it actually was the autobiography of the greatest motor-racing driver ever. I think about it everytime I even consider smoking a Jet.

-"Do you smoke a lot?"
-"Well...sort of"
-"In order to race in Europe you shouldn't smoke, alright?"
-"Ok.."

"...The [...] young man squashes the cigarrete in the ashtray. It would be the last one he ever smoked. Who warned him is barely a stranger, someone he met only fifteen days ago...but he is the five-times world drivers champion".

Juan Manuel Fangio himself told his protege, Juan Manuel Bordeu, not to smoke. Enough reason for me.

Is smoking really such a stress killer? Just asking because I don't know.
Or is it the thought that smoking relieves stress, makes the stress go away?

To me, it's just a placebo. Personally, when I smoked I only did it because somehow (and we all know about that how) I associated smoking in my head with cool guys and a badass attitude. Of course, I understand that's completely ridiculous and means I fell prey to the not-too-subtle advertising of smoking that surrounds us everywhere. It didn't had ANY effect on me besides that one, nothing that could even relate to alcohol or the couple of times I've experimented with drugs. But now I think, what's cooler and badass than J.M Fangio? James Hunt? Steve McQueen? Nah...they are mere shadows of Fangio...

Last edited:
I was kind of an off/on smoker for about 10 years. Never became a real heavy smoker. I had friends who did. I just got tired of coming home smelling like cigarettes, waking up the next morning smelling like cigarettes, having the hangover that would come with them.

Back