Star Wars Battlefront ;)

• Thread starter dice1998
  • 898 comments
Well, from when I played the beta (not withstanding a fairly annoying workaround to get it to run) I quite enjoyed it; a little bit more fast-paced compared to something like battlefield, and surprisingly my ageing laptop was able to run it on medium/high at 40 fps, and it still looked pretty. Speaking of which, apparently some people deem 60 fps to be "unplayable"... what?!

It's a shame, but not exactly a surprise, with how they've gone about pricing it. £50 or thereabouts for the base game, which only has 4 worlds... with more to be added in as DLC. It also doesn't have a meaningful single-player mode... again, something that might be added later on, for a fee. Which is rather depressing, because when I saw the info for this being teased a few months back, my first thought was "this is going to be a cash grab".

The reviews I've seen have all pointed to it getting very repetitive, very quickly, but I thought I'd ask for opinions from anyone on here who has played it. It might well be something I could pick up when it goes on sale (whenever that might be), but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'm paying £50 for a pale imitation of what this game will be, never mind the near 3 figure sum they're charging for it all... that's a rip off.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, apparently some people deem 60 fps to be "unplayable"... what?!

Once you play an FPS game at 100+fps you will see why people say that ;) When I go back to 60fps in BF4 now it looks terrible and gives me a headache quickly. Battlefront is very well optimised and never drops below 100fps for me running on High settings.

Just got the EE-3 gun last night. It doesn't seem to kill people quite as fast as the DL-4 but it has WAY better range and recoil. I still suck at shoot 'em ups though.
I was really pissed to find out that charge cards don't replenish per match.

Realized a few things when playing this morning that I had not seen before.

1. you can actually select the map you want to play on. Really should be a lot more obvious for dimwits like me.

2. there are actually Jawas running around the Sandcrawler but I can't figure out where they go.

Realized a few things when playing this morning that I had not seen before.

1. you can actually select the map you want to play on. Really should be a lot more obvious for dimwits like me.

2. there are actually Jawas running around the Sandcrawler but I can't figure out where they go.

I've seen some gameplay and Ewoks run into their huts on Endor.

They also throw rocks at stormtroopers, got an achievement for getting hit by one.

In the cut scene ahead of a single player battle on Sullust a stormtrooper hits his head in the background, a nod to Episode IV when it happens on a door. On the survival tatooine map there are live action sand people pasted in random hidden places.

They also throw rocks at stormtroopers, got an achievement for getting hit by one.

In the cut scene ahead of a single player battle on Sullust a stormtrooper hits his head in the background, a nod to Episode IV when it happens on a door. On the survival tatooine map there are live action sand people pasted in random hidden places.

Do the rocks damage players?

I'm still baffled at how poorly air combat is handled in this game. You don't have basic control of your aircraft and your projectiles automatically hit your target if you're within a few degrees of them. This is so wrong.

If you want an example of an arcade game with better flight controls, just look at GTA V and ignore the constant turbulence. You have your pitch (Points the nose of your aircraft up or down) and your roll (Tilts your aircraft left or right) bound to the left stick. Yaw (Turns your aircraft left or right) is bound to L1/R1 respectively. You accelerate by holding down R2 and slow down by releasing it or holding L2. Holding L2 will deploy your air brakes, and if held for long enough, will shut off your engines and cause your plane to go into a stall (Although you can turn your engines back on by pressing R2). In GTA V, your aircraft does not automatically level out, so you need to make constant adjustments in order to avoid crashes. If you get locked on, you have to make evasive maneuvers on your own. GTA doesn't give you countermeasures to hide behind. It gives you a controller and a landscape to use to your advantage. If you need to make an evasive maneuver in SWBF, you can only perform them by pressing a button to automatically flip away. Brief speed boosts are fine in a game like this, but limiting basic movement to one button with a cooldown is pathetic.

Let's talk about weapons! In GTA V's fighter jets, your cannons are hitscan weapons. With hitscan weapons, your projectiles instantly hit the target, like a lazer beam. You do not need to compensate for bullet drop or travel time, therefore, you do not need to lead your shots. In SWBF, your guns are not hitscan, so realistically, you would have to lead all of your shots, but they still hit as long as you keep your reticle on the target. Even though your cannons in GTA V are hitscan, you need to have a certain degree of skill to effectively use them. If you're engaged in a dogfight, you need to keep turning to prevent the other prevent the enemy pilot from getting a clear shot on you, or even worse, a missile lock. When you gain the upper hand in a fight, instantly go for guns. If you know they'll cross your line of vision, fire in a line so they'll fly into the path of your bullets, then follow the direction they went, since they're in front of you now.

I like GTA's way of flying. Your hands are never held at any point. If you want to fly, you need to know how to fly. You need to be aware at all times of what your plane is doing and where the enemy is located. Fighter jets are highly delicate machines that will be obliterated in two hits, so you're wasting their true potential power when you don't use them properly. Fighters in SWBF seem highly capable vehicles, but they are severely held back by the terrible controls implemented by the developers in order to make them "accessible" to new players. Despite the efforts of DICE, new players are still complaining about how difficult it is to control them.

Watching these large dogfights looks amazing, and it gives me an urge to take part in them, but I know that it won't feel anything like in the movies, since there's no feeling. If DICE included proper flight controls as an individual option, I wouldn't enjoy using them if I keep getting killed by players who are using the unfair mess and auto-lock mechanics. One thing I would be fine with is if you had an indicator over an enemy fighter that showed you where to shoot, like in War Thunder. That would fit perfectly in a game like this, since it isn't a simulator by any means.

I hear you @CallmeDan the game's flying is very poor, an afterthought to an otherwise basic shoot 'em up. Still, it's the only mode I'm good at, often getting top 3 of my team.

I have also now decided that every gun bar the full automatic ones is useless. I know they have different stats, but it sure doesn't feel that way when you're playing.

I hear you @CallmeDan the game's flying is very poor, an afterthought to an otherwise basic shoot 'em up. Still, it's the only mode I'm good at, often getting top 3 of my team.

I have also now decided that every gun bar the full automatic ones is useless. I know they have different stats, but it sure doesn't feel that way when you're playing.

Yeah the heavy blasters are the only guns I can be consistent with, even when using a mouse I miss loads of shots with the burst fire weapons. I imagine it must be even worse on console, unless you are close enough for aim assist to work.

Yeah the heavy blasters are the only guns I can be consistent with, even when using a mouse I miss loads of shots with the burst fire weapons. I imagine it must be even worse on console, unless you are close enough for aim assist to work.

Aim assist works at any distance when you "scope in", though you're better off firing from the hip anyway at closer range. I do wonder if I turn aim assist off, which you can do, will I be placed in rooms with other people who have it turned off or will it just give me a disadvantage.

I picked it up last weekend, first game I bought for my new xbox, played a week of solo stuff but started playing online yesterday, it's great fun but I'm terrible at it. Have only been playing the 'first to 100' battles and they're great fun.

Well tbh I'm practically through with this game already. I already have the gun and charge cards I want, and all upgraded. Obviously I'll be playing Jakku in a few days, but otherwise it'll just be a game I can pick up and have a little fun occasionally. The shallow content really hurts this game's lifespan. The graphics are truly epic though.

I watched TotalBiscuit's "WTF Is... ?" on SWBF last night and he completely tore this game apart. He confirmed my thoughts and said it isn't worth the $60 for a poorly designed game with no depth.

Well tbh I'm practically through with this game already. I already have the gun and charge cards I want, and all upgraded. Obviously I'll be playing Jakku in a few days, but otherwise it'll just be a game I can pick up and have a little fun occasionally. The shallow content really hurts this game's lifespan. The graphics are truly epic though.

Yeah I really wish they gave us a conquest mode like we have in battlefield, Supremacy is very average and Walker Assault requires too much team work which most players are incapable of.

The graphics are actually too good :lol: I quite often just wander off into the woods on Endor and just drool over the scenery.

Graphically wonderful. Servers excellent (BUT Y NO PRIVATE LOBBY OPTION?)

Me failing on my first time on a map... follow up Endor battle was much better for me and will follow soon...

EDIT Here we go!

Last edited:
Just tried Turning Point on Battle of Jakku, pretty epic map and frantic gameplay! 👍 Really like all the animations in the background, there's a complete space battle going on and Star Destroyers falling from the sky. :D Playing on PC by the way.

My little one may be playing it later on on this PS4 too. :cheers:

12224081_1525853754397334_584403202_n (1).jpg

Is that after you've played for hours and you finally let him have a go? :P

Just tried Turning Point on Battle of Jakku, pretty epic map and frantic gameplay! 👍 Really like all the animations in the background, there's a complete space battle going on and Star Destroyers falling from the sky. :D Playing on PC by the way.

My little one may be playing it later on on this PS4 too. :cheers:

View attachment 487346

That's the PS4 I got.👍

It was a pretty good deal too, considering it was cheaper than all the included bits combined. 👍 Really love the SW design on it.

So after I realised a few game modes/characters only let you use third person I decided to change to third person permanently and realised why everyone says it's better. When I initially looked at it I figured it didn't really widen your FOV and in first person I could see the aim of my gun better. Now I see that using 3rd person you can see around and over objects much better, giving you line of sight while under cover.
Now if only I could figure out how people are one shot killing me from hundreds of metres away when I know it's impossible even with a headshot.:odd:

Now if only I could figure out how people are one shot killing me from hundreds of metres away when I know it's impossible even with a headshot.:odd:

I've seen plenty of gameplay videos of people getting kills in one shot with sniper-style weapons. I don't think it was the Cycler Rifle, though.

It's the pulse cannon, 1 shot kill at any range. Slightly overpowered :lol:

That's the name. I don't own SWBF (and most likely never will) so I forgot the name for every gun except the controversial DL-44.

I've seen plenty of gameplay videos of people getting kills in one shot with sniper-style weapons. I don't think it was the Cycler Rifle, though.

I'm talking regular weapons, like the T-21. Other guys kill me with two shots with almost any weapon at any range, which in my experience is not possible.

Yeah I seem to get destroyed by certain guns, thought unlocking the DL was going to be like getting the golden gun on 007 but I still get killed before I kill them. I can't find a gun I'm happy with so generally stick with the A280C I think.

Back