Steering wheel setup

• Thread starter Jmul54
  • 54 comments
Just . . . wow!

Where’d you get the seat?
Just ordered an aftermarket GT seat from Summit Racing I think. $150 or so. Has manual seat back adjust as well as rake fore and aft so it can accomodate different sizes of drivers. Comforts not bad either. A buddy of mine, for his rig, salvaged a leather BMW bucket out of a scrap yard for about the same price and it's way more comfortable. And it has electric seats.

FF max tq is already at 5 and from memory the clipping at 6 was a bit too obvious so I'm not sure I could go any higher. But knowing that the change isn't noticeable I think I'll be putting RS down as the next wheel purchase. Thanks!
In my case, the FFB on the wheel is at 100% and 4 on the game with the 5nm power supply. And with the bigger wheel, I didn’t have to change anything. I like it at 4. More stronger than that, my arms get tired if I play too much.

It’s been a couple of months, but I’m now committed to getting a new rig. I’m looking at some pretty hefty (and expensive) rigs right now, but I’m still considering a DIY one like you guys did. How do they hold up to repeated abuse?

It’s been a couple of months, but I’m now committed to getting a new rig. I’m looking at some pretty hefty (and expensive) rigs right now, but I’m still considering a DIY one like you guys did. How do they hold up to repeated abuse?

Completely DIY with your own dimensions.

The base consists of existing "old material", if you want to realize this from more stable profiles, you would have to plan another 60 to 100 euros extra... or exchange the lower 40x40 for a more massive 40x80 or 80x80.

The profiles with everything cost around 260 euros in total + the cost of the seat (from a BMW e9x sports seat from the car recycler, because it is better than the basic model)

I am satisfied, I am absolutely sufficiently flexible and it is absolutely stable.

Completely DIY with your own dimensions.

The base consists of existing "old material", if you want to realize this from more stable profiles, you would have to plan another 60 to 100 euros extra... or exchange the lower 40x40 for a more massive 40x80 or 80x80.

The profiles with everything cost around 260 euros in total + the cost of the seat (from a BMW e9x sports seat from the car recycler, because it is better than the basic model)

I am satisfied, I am absolutely sufficiently flexible and it is absolutely stable.
That looks nice! I’m considering building a wooden rig like the posts above, but I’m curious how durable they are.

I suppose I could build about a dozen of them as they age over the years for the same cost as a TrakRacer. . .

Last edited:
That looks nice! I’m considering building a wooden rig like the posts above, but I’m curious how durable they are.

I suppose I could build about a dozen of them as they age over the years for the same cost as a TrakRacer. . .

I’ve liked mine enough that I ended up building a 2nd carbon copy of it for my 2nd rig. With the more powerful wheels, it may need a bit more reinforcing, but otherwise it’s been great. The fact that it’s wood, means you can mod it any way you see fit, instead of being stuck with purchasable mods for metal rigs(unless you can weld). I went from single screen, to triples, to 4 screens, and now back to one screen for PC since I’m using VR now, but it’s highly modable, which is what I like.

Last edited:
I love mine, it's been a labor of love for over 23 years. Works great and not another one like it. Very solid and works great with my CSL v2.5 and load cell pedals. Next evolution will be to hybrid some 80/20 structure into the chassis for the new generation DD wheels. I also want to install a curved screen just in front of the wheelbase for FoV perfection. Space is an issue in my house right now and I just slide it out of the way when it's not in use. Curved screen is going to demand a corner placement and probably its own room.

@Pigems @F1nutcase
Thanks to you both for your feedback.

I love mine, it's been a labor of love for over 23 years. Works great and not another one like it. Very solid and works great with my CSL v2.5 and load cell pedals. Next evolution will be to hybrid some 80/20 structure into the chassis for the new generation DD wheels. I also want to install a curved screen just in front of the wheelbase for FoV perfection. Space is an issue in my house right now and I just slide it out of the way when it's not in use. Curved screen is going to demand a corner placement and probably its own room.
I have a Fanatec DD Pro. With the 8Nm FFB do you think I’ll need to use an 8020 rig to make sure it is stable? Or do you think wooden corner braces will be sufficient?

Last edited:
@Pigems @F1nutcase
Thanks to you both for your feedback.

I have a Fanatec DD Pro. With the 8Nm FFB do you think I’ll need to use an 8020 rig to make sure it is stable? Or do you think wooden corner braces will be sufficient?

I get a slight bit of flex/movement with my TSPC(6nm), but it won’t take much to get that out, a couple of small corner braces or something, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Last edited:
I get a slight bit of flex/movement with my TSPC(6nm), but it won’t take much to get that out, a couple of small corner braces or something, I just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
Or use a material that allows less flexibility than MDF at the important points. Alternatively, strengthen neuralgic points with "some" metal.

@Bullwinkle If you're a bit handy, you can easily zb. Order the aluminum profiles in your desired lengths from Motedis. Advantage... the thing is then also worth something and, if necessary, can be sold better than one made of wood. Nut8 Type I systems can be easily modified/extended and/or, if you no longer need the rig but can't/don't want to sell it, you can also build other useful things with it.

I used my Logitech G920 for the first time today and it was so much fun!

It took time for me to get used to the experience compared to racing with the dualsense. I generally drive with manual transmission on the dualsense but it was a challenge on the logitech so I'm starting on automatic.

The license tests actually helped me get used to using the logitech and I noticed I'm a much faster driver when using it

20221127_214135.jpg

Overtime I'd like to try get used to using a shifter

I used my Logitech G920 for the first time today and it was so much fun!

It took time for me to get used to the experience compared to racing with the dualsense. I generally drive with manual transmission on the dualsense but it was a challenge on the logitech so I'm starting on automatic.

The license tests actually helped me get used to using the logitech and I noticed I'm a much faster driver when using it

View attachment 1211374.

Overtime I'd like to try get used to using a shifter
Driving with a wheel is a blast. If you’re able to try moving closer to the tv. It helped me out. 🍻

I just got the new Podium F1 wheel and installed it on my home built rig. Totally stable, no flex or structural issues. That being said I'm not looking for ligament tearing FFB but I do have the torque key in and slowly increasing the FFB. If you built a sturdy rig don't be overly concerned.
I will probably still incorporate some 80/20 for my next evolution because it's just part of the plan. But it wasn't imperative just to install and use the Podium F1 system. YMMV.

My custom rig setup:)

Attachments

• CFFD881B-3F21-4676-8E9A-9CDA77FCEE20.jpeg
    CFFD881B-3F21-4676-8E9A-9CDA77FCEE20.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 1D64EB87-EA8E-4596-AB23-7E048EA81471.jpeg
    1D64EB87-EA8E-4596-AB23-7E048EA81471.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 857FB984-A785-4E4A-8400-C84036DFED5E.jpeg
    857FB984-A785-4E4A-8400-C84036DFED5E.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 14
Looking good. What made you go with the Thrustmaster Pro over the Fanatec DD and how do you like it?
I went with the Logitech G Pro because on paper it's the better wheel & from everything I had read about the Fanatec & all the reviews I had watched on youtube of the Logitech it was an easy decision to make.
Plus it looks much better than the Fanatec, it looks like a proper steering wheel not a toy/budget wheel, that is one of the things I didn't like about the T-GT I had before.

I'm very happpy with it, it's a fantastic wheel a real step change from my old T-GT.

Last edited:
I went with the Logitech G Pro because on paper it's the better wheel & from everything I had read about the Fanatec & all the reviews I had watched on youtube of the Logitech it was an easy decision to make.
Plus it looks much better than the Fanatec, it looks like a proper steering wheel not a toy/budget wheel, that is one of the things I didn't like about the T-GT I had before.

I'm very happpy with it, it's a fantastic wheel a real step change from my old T-GT.
I was in the same position mate. Due to PS5 availability I'd been holding out for the DD Pro, but when the G Pro dropped I was instantly-sold.

Superb build quality. Couldn't be happier.

Probably the (missing) availability of the gt dd pro? :D
And it's a logitech wheel, not thrustmaster

I’ve heard to many horror stories about the Fanatec customer service to consider spending $2k+ on a DD Pro setup, I was able to get a TGT2 and a TSPC, plus two sets of TLCM’s, for around what the DD Pro setup would have cost me, by the time I added the things I wanted, and got it shipped here.

Plus, I was also way to deep into the TM ecosystem to wanna change now, especially with them being out a DD wheel this year too.

This is the current state of the rig room, I’m using VR for iRacing now, but I want to go back to triples, it’s just more comfy for me for longer races.

067F5A83-E114-4D2B-B18B-13A3C6109474.jpeg

9C4CF9DD-D3DE-4E69-8789-5817F395E3A3.jpeg

Last edited:
Upgraded a few weeks ago from the above setup to this:

Logitech G Pro racing wheel & pedals

GT Omega Prime cockpit with my old RS9 seat

View attachment 1212133View attachment 1212134View attachment 1212135View attachment 1212136

Man Cave still needs a good tidy up! :lol:
How about Trueforce?
I saw some reviews that say its a gimmick, and others says its "game changing" for GT7 in terms of experience.
I mean the ones that gave positive inputs about Trueforce mentioned that people need to put Trueforce at 10 to 15 in terms of output strengh otherwise will not give the intended "experience" since above that values trueforce will overshadow FFB and will get messy.

What is your personal opinion about it?

Last edited:
Back