STI and Evo VIII

• Thread starter boa129
  • 13 comments
today i saw this Subaru STI at noon, the driver went to the resturant next to my work place. I found the driver is not there and there were no key, but the engine still makes sound, and muffler still make noise. After like 5 mins, i heard the engine stops and muffler stops making noise. Later on afternoon, this Evo 8 parked in the parking lot too, same thing happen driver is off, and locked the car, but engine still making noise. Then the driver and his fd found that resturant was close they went back to the car, the driver didnt even start the engine just drive off. I want to know why these car didnt turn off engine itself and wat is the point of it.

Turbo cool down time.

By the way. TYPE BETTER.

I had to read that over 5 times to make any sense out of it.

Just sounds like a turbo timer, like the others said. Its a device that keeps the car idling for a certain ammount of time to keep oil flowing through the turbo. Turbos get real hot, and if you were to just pull up somewhere and stop, all the oil in the hot turbo would just stop and sit there and bake. Thats not good. But, if the engine keeps running for a few minutes, the oil will circulate and things cool down a little more, and you don't have as many problems.

Hilg

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. My dad owns an STi, and it seems to shut off normally, but I'll pay more attention in the future.

its more of insurance, i don't really think most stock cars have them. 5 minutes seems excessive though.
only thing i would hate about driving a turbocharged car is not being able to leave it in gear, i don't trust most parking brakes <8- \

superfast
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. My dad owns an STi, and it seems to shut off normally, but I'll pay more attention in the future.

If it's standard, it will.

But notice that in the handbook - and on the driver's sun visor - it says you must allow the car to idle for 1-2 minutes at the end of your journey, so that oil is pumped around the turbo, cooling it down. Shut the engine off and the oil still cools the turbo, but it's the oil that happens to be around the turbo at the time - it doesn't get pumped anywhere. So you end up with sludge very quickly.

Turbo timers get round that. They allow you to save time by getting out and doing whatever it is you need to do. They keep the oil pumping for you.

blargonator
its more of insurance, i don't really think most stock cars have them. 5 minutes seems excessive though.
only thing i would hate about driving a turbocharged car is not being able to leave it in gear, i don't trust most parking brakes <8- \

Why cant you leave turbocharged cars in gear?

lol my dads land rover sometimes takes its time to stop even after youv turned it off, the timings out and itll be there for like 5 minutes spluttering to a stop :lol:

sicbeing
It isnt an STI or EVO thing, it's just something you can have done to a car with a turbo in it.
Actually, you can put a "turbo timer" on any car you want. It just helps turbo cars a little more because of the excessive heat they make in the turbo. You could put one on a '92 Camry if you wanted. Not sure why you would, but you could.

Hilg

Young_Warrior
Why cant you leave turbocharged cars in gear?
You can leave turbo cars in gear just like any car. But, a turbo timer works by keeping the engine running for a small ammount of time once you've gotten out. If the engine is still running, and you let the clutch out while still in gear, you'll stall the engine. So, when using a timer, you have to just use the parking brake, and leave the car in neutral.

Hilg

JNasty4G63
You can leave turbo cars in gear just like any car. But, a turbo timer works by keeping the engine running for a small ammount of time once you've gotten out. If the engine is still running, and you let the clutch out while still in gear, you'll stall the engine. So, when using a timer, you have to just use the parking brake, and leave the car in neutral.

Hilg

Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

Good info JNasty4g63! Definately need to make a note out of this. :embarrassed:

Latest Posts

Back