Stopped Smoking

• Thread starter Mr P
  • 94 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I thought I'd post a mention to my wife and myself who both decided to stubb out our last cigarettes on Monday evening and we are both determined not to let any symptoms make us go back to the cancer sticks.

So far we are at about 40+ hours clear of cigs and feeling some very strange feelings, I for one feel like i'm on drugs as my head is floating and my arms and hands have constant pins and needles we have managed to tear through a vast amount of mints that we bought as a distraction ..... seriously though! after being a smoker for nearly 20 years and then experiencing this weird loss of poison to my brain, I feel ill yet know it will be over in a few weeks.
Most of all i'm proud of Kelly for joining me in this because I just put it across to her on Monday night and said " Ok thats it! I'm done with these things ! " and she joined me with no 2nd thoughts

Wish us luck guys! This is not easy at all ... we look forward to the health and financial gains to be made by crushing this habit , maybe even a few extra years of life also :)

Good luck to all smokers with a New years resolution to stop smoking also 👍

If I posted this in the wrong section then I apologise as I looked at it as a health issue more than anything :) just move it to where it's more fitting 👍

Good luck you two, good decision! I have heard it is nearly as hard to quit cigarettes as it is to kick heroine or other narcotics:ill: Stay strong and you'll make it.👍

My neighbor quit smoking a couple of weeks ago and he was having a rough go of it, but he seems to have made it through OK. He did gain about 10 lbs from eating as a substitue, however. Now I call him a tubby *****, even though he's still really slender.:lol:

Best of luck to the both of you!! I know several people that quit. They just went all out cold turkey and it seemed to be the best method. I am not sure how much they cost but I hear people say that it is very expensive! Don't give up, you have to work together. Every week that you go without smoking you could buy each other a treat or do something with that money your saving. Just keep saying to yourself that they are not something you need. They are killing you and costing you soo much money. It was a really great idea to post here to get a lot more emotional support. :) 👍
Keep us updated and remember it only takes that one cig to get hooked again. :scared:

AWESOME! Way to go P, I am very proud of you (: I have a friend who had some Windows app that kept track of how much he was saving by not purchasing cigarettes. All you do is enter how much you used to spend per day and anytime you run the program after that it tells you how much you've saved so far. Last I heard of it he was just a few months in and already up to a couple hundred dollars (USD).

You could calculate how much the two of you are saving and spend it on a celebratory vacation (to somewhere warmer) in a year or so.

Also, not to be a downer but ... I was talking with a guy I work with a while back about cigarettes. I didn't know that he had used to smoke and successfully quit. He says that even today, twenty something years later, he still has an initial desire to have a cigarette when he smells them but that that quickly passes and he's completely disguested by it. So the tough part will be that if the two of you are going to quit you'll have to quit together or most likely not at all.

Thanks guys 👍

We are adament that we will see it through, the hardest part is when i'm not doing anything .... out of nowhere I get this feeling in my head and its like being lost or dizzy for a few seconds until eventually my mind clicks you need a cig 👎 It's really weird and very overpowering but this is obviously the part to get over 👍 just a shame it happens every 10 - 15 mins at the moment :crazy: not to mention sleep last night and waking up every 15 mins :crazy: It felt like I was in bed for 3 days on that restless night alone .

We will get there I think and everytime I need a cig! I will post in here to take my mind of it .... so expect a lot of posts :dopey:

Thanks again I appreciate all the support and kind words, Its a disgusting habit that I'll be glad to see the back of 👍

I tell you what, I'll kick sodas starting today. I know it's not the same - nothing near - but it's about the best I can do from over the sea (:

And seriously, you guys should figure how much you're saving and celebrate when you've got enough money saved up. I'll do the same. $3 / day can add up to be quite a lot ... wow, just did the math, that'll buy me a new computer in a year.

Mr P
We will get there I think and everytime I need a cig! I will post in here to take my mind of it .... so expect a lot of posts :dopey:
We'll need the Test Forum opened - and QUICK ! :)

It's a tough job you've taken on - Good Luck !.... And to the Missus as well...

The best of luck to both of you. Get your mind on something else is probably the best way as you already mentioned. Hope you can find support in being two together in your situation. Keep it up!!!!

I've been doing this crap myself for about 7 years now and have thought about quitting ever since the beginning, have never been motivated enough yet.

No more standing outside getting cold then?

Great stuff guys. At least you're both in it together and you can slap each other if one of you gets the urge... :dopey:

Hey guy's thanks for the kind words! I never knew Ron had told everyone till now.. just got my first smoke free day at work over with and it was fairly easy, easier than I thought it would be 👍
I've been coughing all day and got the sniffles too, so I expect to be ill for a week or so, but it will be worth it 👍
£4 per day we'll be saving so that's £124 per month! :eek: I'm sure I'll find something to spend it on :dopey:

I don't know what your PS2 setup is like, but you could get another setup and race head to head on your own screens (: Get racing seats and everything.

Well done on start the quiting.

In the UK teenagers get alot of talk about how bad smoking is (I don't smoke but know allot of people who do) and some of the things you can buy if you don't smoke for a few years! I would save all the money you used for smoking as it is obviousley just excess and see what it will buy you in furture.

I'm going crazy :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I feel like a junkie here :crazy: need a fix :yuck:

A stupid little stick with so much control :guilty:

I wont give in though :dopey: just posting as my urge is so strong I need to find something to take my mind of it :guilty: .... cant even think about racing :scared: maybe I'll go insane overnight :dopey:

Laters

Mr P
I'm going crazy :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I feel like a junkie here :crazy: need a fix :yuck:

A stupid little stick with so much control :guilty:

I wont give in though :dopey: just posting as my urge is so strong I need to find something to take my mind of it :guilty: .... cant even think about racing :scared: maybe I'll go insane overnight :dopey:

Laters

Get in there Ron - Go to the PS2 and PICK UP THAT CONTROLLER !... I know you can do it Private !....

Fingers crossed !...

daan
Eh? What do you mean "go" insane? I think you missed a "more" from that sentence! :scared:

nothing like leaving a lasting impression eh? :sly: T-shirt on the first meet 👍 .... straight jacket on the next :D as long as it's a GTP official one :dopey:

i know how you guys feel and i wish you all the best of luck. i remember one time i went through a very simular situation when i quit smoking, drinking, and drugs all at once. the withdrawals were terrible and i really felt like i was going to die. looking back now i can honestly say it was the worst 10 minutes of my life.

Max E.
i know how you guys feel and i wish you all the best of luck. i remember one time i went through a very simular situation when i quit smoking, drinking, and drugs all at once. the withdrawals were terrible and i really felt like i was going to die. i can honestly look back and say it was the worst 10 minutes of my life.

lmao :lol: :lol: 👍

GTP believes in you!

So you can afford to get a babysitter for a weekend and trog down to Wycombe again? :D

Famine
GTP believes in you!

So you can afford to get a babysitter for a weekend and trog down to Wycombe again? :D

Sure! but it will have to wait, we gonna save it up for 6 months and then maybe see what to spend it on :D

Ok Day 3 and I have no urge for a cig since waking up 👍 no doubt it will return :dopey: a bit of **** being coughed up quite a lot also .... this aint that tough so far :sly: before we know it ... a week will be gone and we will be non smokers 👍

laters all
Ron/ AKA - Mr Phlem :D

Mr P
Ok Day 3 and I have no urge for a cig since waking up 👍 no doubt it will return :dopey: a bit of **** being coughed up quite a lot also .... this aint that tough so far :sly: before we know it ... a week will be gone and we will be non smokers 👍

laters all
Ron/ AKA - Mr Phlem :D

👍

Good news !.... (and quite impressive !)

Latest Posts

Back