as of 8pm AST September 4th, 2017

Current Position: 16.7N 55.0W
Sustained Winds: 140 MPH
Movement: W at 13 MPH

Projected Track:

234935_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Current Warnings
Hurricane Warning has been issued for portions of the Leeward Islands
A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued for portions of the Leeward Islands.
A Hurricane Watch has been issued for portions of the Leeward Islands affected by the Tropical Storm warning and Puerto Rico
A Tropical Storm watch has been issued for the southern Leeward Islands.

It is expected to effect Florida and Cuba on its way to Texas again.

It's worth mentioning that with 1 minute sustained winds of 185 mph, Irma is tied for the second highest wind speed of any recorded storm in the Atlantic basin. The NHC estimates that in 120 hours it will be 30 miles southeast of Key West with peak sustained winds of 140 mph. This one's going to be something.

Irma Watch
Status as of September 5th, 2017 at 8pm AST

Current position: 17.2N 60.5W
Sustained Winds: 185 MPH
Movement: W at 15 MPH

Projected Track

002047_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Current Warnings

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for the Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico, the northern portion of the Dominican Republic.
A Tropical Storm warning is in effect for the Southern portion of the Dominican Republic.
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for Haiti, Cuba and the southern tip of the Bahamas.
A Tropical Storm watch is in effect for western portions of Haiti.

Concerningly, Irma is showing up on seismographs and is exceeding the maximum theoretical possible wind speeds for a storm of this type under the Statistical Hurricane Intensity Prediction Scheme (SHIPS) model.

I escaped a few days before Harvey, gotta do it again for Irma. Hopefully the drive to Orlando won't be too bad (Miami area airports are all sold out).

Good luck, South Florida and the Caribbean. You're going to need it.

Irma Watch
Status as of September 6th, 2017 at 8am AST

Current position: 18.1N 63.3W
Movement: WNW at 16 MPH

Projected Track

120029_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Current Warnings

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for the Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico, the northern portion of the Dominican Republic and portions of the Bahamas.
A Tropical Storm warning is in effect for the Southern portion of the Dominican Republic.
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for Haiti, Cuba and portions of the Bahamas.
A Tropical Storm watch is in effect for western portions of Haiti.

It's absolutely crazy to see footage like that.

I need to get into Hurricane territory sometime.

of this type
What type is that? I'm surprised that such a model isn't able to predict high Cat 5 wind speeds given that Allen, Patricia, and Tip have had higher sustained wind speeds, and several others have equalled Irma's wind speeds. I do find it interesting that Irma's wind speeds are incredibly high, but its pressure is not yet among the top 10 most intense Atlantic storms, and seems to be fluctuating between 915 and 920 mb.

I need to get into Hurricane territory sometime.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

What type is that?
I believe a "Cape Verde" - a hurricane which develops as a tropical storm east of Cape Verde and becomes a hurricane before reaching the Caribbean, rather than one that starts as an Atlantic cyclone and develops into a hurricane within the Caribbean. The only Cape Verde hurricane on record with even equal wind speeds is Allen.

It may also refer to Irma's unusually high low pressure - Allen was 899mbar, but Irma is only going as low as 914mbar and doesn't even make the top ten...

It may also refer to Irma's unusually high low pressure - Allen was 899mbar, but Irma is only going as low as 914mbar and doesn't even make the top ten...
The Weather Channel is saying that the numbers are going lower. We will know in a couple of hours.

Irma Watch
Status as of September 6th, 2017 at 5pm AST

Current position: 18.8N 65.4W
Movement: WNW at 16 MPH

Projected Track

210044_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Current Warnings

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for the Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico, the northern portion of the Dominican Republic and portions of the Bahamas.
A Tropical Storm warning is in effect for the Southern portion of the Dominican Republic, the western portion of Haiti, and the Eastern portion of Cuba.
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for Cuba and portions of the Bahamas.
There are no Tropical Storm watches at this time.

It's ironic how some the most idyllic places on earth can turn into a living hell in a matter of hours.

The devastation especially on the island of Barbuda is unbelievable, there's nothing left.

Images of the hurricane from the ISS. Awesome and terrifying.
Since the image i saw on TV weren't giving a sense of scale, I was looking for it in the Live feed but the ISS did not fly over there these past hours (it was in an archived video).

Worries for food and water supply on Saint-Martin, and yet
upload_2017-9-8_11-4-46.png

TV for lunch... This happens on both Dutch and French part of the island.

TV for lunch... This happens on both Dutch and French part of the island.

No house to take it to, no electricity to turn it on and no cable to plug into.... I hope when they have houses, electric and cable that these TV.s turn out to be broken by the hurricane.

I really hate the sensationalist journalism that is currently being used by American Media when discussing this storm they keep saying it's the most powerful hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic that statement is too vague. It is the strongest in terms of wind speed in the actual Atlantic Ocean but not in the Atlantic overall. Where what am I doing this semantics but when it comes to journalism these days I feel that they go completely out the window. Still I hope that anybody who's in the storm's path takes it seriously and does make sure they get to higher ground I do have relatives who are in the storm's path one of them evacuated to New York the other evacuated to Atlanta and my other two relatives I'm unsure of it this time

I just got back my power and water in my area last night; some of us didn't even lose any power during the storm. The news said my town got the hardest hit on the island but we only had little structural damage and a few trees/power lines falling here and there.

That being said, the eye missed us by just a few miles so we didn't get the full force of the hurricane, it was more or less constant strong winds with occasional extremely strong winds. If we got the real deal then it would've been more like extremely strong winds entire time and it would've lasted much longer like other hurricanes we've experienced. I got a little fence damage and lost piece of my roof, but I'm all good here (same goes for everyone on the island I've heard).

I'm about to head out because my job is sending aid to SXM via boat since their airport is pretty beat up. It's pretty bad over there in Anguilla and Barbuda as well, the latter I'm hearing the entire island is being evacuated to Antigua because of 90% damage to infrastructure. I'm glad we didn't get it that hard, we're well enough to be sending help to other islands.

Just gotta look out for Jose now.

the other evacuated to Atlanta
Where they'll still be in the path. Irma will probably be quite weak by then though.

093751_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

Jose is now a Cat 4, but beside brushing by a few islands it's nothing to worry about for the mainland.

150338_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

Pleased to say my wife got out of Miami yesterday afternoon - she lives in Brickell Key (right on the water front, 30th floor condo), and has flown out to LA, where she'll stay for the weekend before flying up to Seattle Monday. Hopefully things will have died down by middle of next week, and Jose will stay off shore.

Have to say I feel much better knowing she's out of the area.

Best wishes to anyone in the path of this.

Back