Storm Watch: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season

So GA is feeling the affects of Irma already.
Yesterday FL evacuees started arriving, today the GA coast is starting to evacuate.
Traffic has gone to hell, gas is starting to sell out and so are the stores.
Atlanta Motor Speedway has opened the infield for RVs and campers.

We're just sitting here looking at the storm projections like, oh another storm in Atlanta.
Wife and I will be working, our jobs don't seem worried and ryzno Jrs school plans on being open.
Some of my friends are leaving here to get away from the drama.

I'm glad people are finding safe shelter, but it sucks we have to stock up to ride out a normal storm for us, by the time it gets here.

Be safe y'all.

Many folks from Florida up here in Chattanooga. In fact, that's about all I'm seeing on 75/24.
Welcome to all and happy to see people taking it seriously.

I've been working at the hospital all week. Thank god I'm off for the weekend. We've seen about 300 asthma kids. Totally ridiculous.

Please say a prayer for my roof and my windows. This is going to suck. It's already pretty gusty tonight.

One positive from all of this is that it's been an absolute joy to live down here with everyone evacuated. South Florida would be paradise with half a million fewer people in it.

@Omnis have you taped up / boarded the windows?

With the evacuation it probably feels like what Florida felt like 50 years ago!

South Florida would be paradise with half a million fewer people in it.

Old Jewish people from Michigan need somewhere to live once they hit 65 though.

Stay safe man, I know Florida builds to withstand these storms better than some other states, but this one looks like a doozy.

It keeps moving west instead of turning north like it's supposed to, and I'll be looking at it where I am.... Ugh... Yesterday our forecast was for nothing stronger than middlin' tropical storm winds at the worst. We are under a tropical storm watch, meaning possible T.S. winds within 2 days, but if it doesn't turn, things could get more worrisome here in the panhandle of Florida.

If Irma misses Florida or the eye will stay above the Gulf, wouldn't there be an enormous chance that it will gain strength again and go back to cat 5 when it eventually hits land?

It keeps moving west instead of turning north like it's supposed to, and I'll be looking at it where I am.... Ugh... Yesterday our forecast was for nothing stronger than middlin' tropical storm winds at the worst. We are under a tropical storm watch, meaning possible T.S. winds within 2 days, but if it doesn't turn, things could get more worrisome here in the panhandle of Florida.
If Irma misses Florida or the eye will stay above the Gulf, wouldn't there be an enormous chance that it will gain strength again and go back to cat 5 when it eventually hits land?
I've been wondering about this for a couple of days. The southern part of the eye wall has been resolutely sticking to the northern coasts of the islands, and if it sticks all the way up Cuba's north coast it'll steam right over Key West and head into the Gulf rather than north up the east coast of Florida.

Key West cam

Here's what i saw when i started the live cam o_O
upload_2017-9-9_21-7-7.png

upload_2017-9-9_21-8-1.png

Yep thanks for the link Iforce ;) been chuckling for the last 20 mins at the random loons having some fun before the main storm hits :D

even the guy in shorts with wellies on haha :lol:

Old Jewish people from Michigan need somewhere to live once they hit 65 though.

Stay safe man, I know Florida builds to withstand these storms better than some other states, but this one looks like a doozy.

They're not the problem. They live in WPB, anyway. All of the crazy people that normally make traffic worse by trying to invent ways to beat traffic... they're gone. And the roads have been peaceful and lovely.

I've been wondering about this for a couple of days. The southern part of the eye wall has been resolutely sticking to the northern coasts of the islands, and if it sticks all the way up Cuba's north coast it'll steam right over Key West and head into the Gulf rather than north up the east coast of Florida.

We are extraordinarily lucky that the eyewall breached the shores of Cuba. I figured that if at least some part of it hit land (all mountainous terrain in eastern Cuba there), the storm wouldn't pick up any more from the ocean and would tumble over itself deflecting more west than what was modeled. I don't think these models are very good for considering landfall effects. They're used to tracking storms at sea and put too much emphasis on atmospheric factors. Most likely a relatively miniscule amount of data even exists to feed into the models as tracking history can't even be properly assessed from hurricanes over land.

The clouds are so low for these hurricanes. The River House is actually taller than some of the bands that have rolled in.

The news here is absolutely insufferable though. Everyone I talk to (except for my dad) is so convinced that going to a shelter means that they're going to be taken care of. Yeah, right! I'd rather be not stuck in a room with the foulest stinkiest people in creation when it comes time to play Lord of the Flies.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for my area, the storm will be peaking at midnight, Sunday into Monday, and extending all the way past 09:00 and maybe into noontime as well. I just know that if the winds shall howl, my sleep is going to be robbed.

Me and my family are all prepared as much as we can be here. We even have a generator here, which I am never fortunate enough to have. Hopefully riding out the storm won't be too catastrophic here, as this is going to be the first official time that me and my family are all going to ride out a major storm at the same time. If I can, I'll share some status updates.

"No matter the weather, we're in this together." Stay safe, all fellow Floridian GTPers.

Just remember it will be the water Surge which will kind of be like a Tsunami that will do the real damage, best to be some distance away from the sea or rivers connected to the sea.

One positive from all of this is that it's been an absolute joy to live down here with everyone evacuated. South Florida would be paradise with half a million fewer people in it.
I called a buddy of mine whose in Florida helping his parents prepare. He said folks were still out walking their pets this afternoon. Said his folks & their neighbors think the news & the Gov. Scott are fear mongering.
Key West cam

Not seeing anything. Not sure if that stream went down, but it linked me to a video showing 4 cams.

I called a buddy of mine whose in Florida helping his parents prepare. He said folks were still out walking their pets this afternoon. Said his folks & their neighbors think the news & the Gov. Scott are fear mongering.

I think after what happened in Houston with them not issuing an evac order, other governments are being overly cautious. Especially since I'm guessing resources are a bit thin from Harvey.

But I still have no doubt Irma is going to be a bad storm.

I think after what happened in Houston with them not issuing an evac order, other governments are being overly cautious. Especially since I'm guessing resources are a bit thin from Harvey.

But I still have no doubt Irma is going to be a bad storm.
I don't doubt it either, but his folks' excuse is living through Hurricane Andrew & every one since which I've heard Irma compared to. I texted him this morning maybe they're right since one news outlet said the storm would be downgraded to a CAT 4 by landfall. Still dangerous but kind of lessens the fear about this storm having the possibility of being a CAT 6 if that level existed (per HLN on XM).

I don't know why they're still showing the models that it will slam head on into Florida. If you look at the current radar data it just keeps on moving west-north-west and the eye has moved into the Gulf closing in on Havana.

I've just found a stream that said that a European model of the path has been accurate so far. And that predicts that it will go past Florida, make a sharp turn North and make landfall at Tampa Bay.

I don't doubt it either, but his folks' excuse is living through Hurricane Andrew & every one since which I've heard Irma compared to. I texted him this morning maybe they're right since one news outlet said the storm would be downgraded to a CAT 4 by landfall. Still dangerous but kind of lessens the fear about this storm having the possibility of being a CAT 6 if that level existed (per HLN on XM).

As I said, we have been very lucky that the storm didn't skirt the bahamas and slam straight into Miami. That would have been devastating. This is still going to be bad, but it's so much better than the Cuban landmass sapped a bunch of the storm's energy.

That said, I was looking out my window and a tornado passed right through my parking lot. Thank goodness it hadn't yet touched down, but it wound up reportedly touching down due west.

I don't know why they're still showing the models that it will slam head on into Florida. If you look at the current radar data it just keeps on moving west-north-west and the eye has moved into the Gulf closing in on Havana.

I've just found a stream that said that a European model of the path has been accurate so far. And that predicts that it will go past Florida, make a sharp turn North and make landfall at Tampa Bay.
I don't know what models you're looking at, but the NHC has it doing exactly that. With that said, even on that track the west coast of Florida is going to be within the radius of hurricane force winds, so if anything that's actually a worse result since Irma is able to pull more energy from the ocean for longer whilst simultaneously battering Florida.

Watching Miami-Dade News 7 on YT, and they're on a pier watching somebody's boat taking on water while a bunch of folks are just walking along. They're saying some folks have now lost power a couple hours ago.

Edit* The guy they're interviewing just threw the boat owner under the bus. :lol:

I don't know what models you're looking at, but the NHC has it doing exactly that. With that said, even on that track the west coast of Florida is going to be within the radius of hurricane force winds, so if anything that's actually a worse result since Irma is able to pull more energy from the ocean for longer whilst simultaneously battering Florida.
Looks like you called it. A couple hours ago, I saw it listed as a very powerful CAT 3. Now, around an hour away, they say it is going towards St. Petersburg and has regained strength back to a CAT 4.

Jose's current track reminds me of another J storm. Jeanne in 2004.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?cone#contents

Don't worry, Trump won't let anyone named Jose into the country.

I do hope it remains out at sea though, but the current track has it on course of slamming into Florida again. It also looks like another wave is off the coast of Africa right now with a 30% chance of developing into a storm.

Back