Storm Watch: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season

Well, things have escalated quickly!
My sons school will be closed Mon-Tue.
Our local transit is shutting down tomorrow.
Wifey HAS to work, so I'll be taking off since I don't want to work in this crap.(I'll probably do some odd job if the $ is right ;)
The pay back, I'm going to have to take her to/from work cause she hates highways and driving in the rain.
AND I have to watch our son...

I'm pretty sure we had tornadoes come through. At times it sounded like mass effect reaper rumbling. My uncle called me to say that my grandma had power, so I left the house about an hour ago. My complex is a disaster. My building is so lucky. The other buildings have 20 foot trees broken apart and strewn all over their parking lots. I was just barely able to squeeze through the felled trees otherwise I would have been stuck in my complex. The city is also a disaster. We're called the arbor city as a nickname, but that's not the case anymore. Lucky it looks like they took a bulldozer and chainsaw crew and have cleared many of the main roads. During the peak of the storm it was scary as hell as people were flying down the road at likely greater than 100mph. One fell tree and you're dead. Idiots.

Im Ok though. We are so goddamn lucky to not have any significant property damage. Its just going to be a big cleanup. I pulled an 80 pound branch off of my air conditioner. The only tree of its kind is probably 300 feet away. It's gotta be a tornado...

Checking in from the Hernando county area. Might I say that boy oh boy we have been spared from what could have been disastrous conditions. We also still have power ever since it flickered on and off twice right before midnight.

We got so lucky in that the storm continued to move directly north, giving us the western side of the hurricane compared to the original track, originally having us brace for the north-east quadrant of the center, which would have been so much worse. Power transformers were still popping everywhere, very audible, spooky winds and endless rain, but it's safe to say that we are now out of the worst of it; me and my family hunkered down together for the first time during a hurricane.

Still too dark to go check outside currently, but that will take place within the hours to come. I feel extremely sorry for the southern half of the state, though...

Disappointed to see the footage of the looting in Miami, brazenly carrying it out in broad daylight in front of the press!

I hope all our Floridian GTP members are safe and will be able to return home soon - the damage in places looks horrendous, and of course the danger from fallen power lines and other unsafe structures will make it difficult for people to return home immediately, so my thoughts are with those who are currently displaced and/or who face being away from home for an extended period.

On a lighter note, the BBC chose a rather unfortunate picture to do a before and after comparison in Miami... it makes it look like Hurricane Irma has upgraded the building's facade on the way the past.

_97755636_miami_brickellave_beforeaft.jpg

The storm downgraded to a tropical storm when it got close to my area. A few trees did get knocked down but nothing that major.

Last edited:
I live in Indian River County in Florida and thought it'd be a good idea to run away to Central Florida since Indian River County is on the southeast coast. The Hurricane ended up following me :lol:. Nothing major happened, had some heavy rain and wind and that's it.

My own reaction: Disappointed, yes. Surprised, sadly, no.
Are the police allowed to use that footage as evidence in criminal proceedings or does the media station have to fuzz out the perps' faces?

Are the police allowed to use that footage as evidence in criminal proceedings or does the media station have to fuzz out the perps' faces?

I'd be shocked and amazed if the police were not allowed to use the footage. As for fuzzing out faces, it wouldn't surprise me if that's station policy; the pics I'd seen didn't show faces because they were shot from behind, over-the-shoulder as it were. I'm sure the police would have access to the unedited footage; in fact if it were demonstrably edited I'd suspect it would be worthless as evidence in court.

I should think they can subpoena any relevant evidence from any party... so yes.

Not sure if it's appropriate to speak more about storms now that Irma is long gone, but... there's another after Jose and Irma: Maria

205956_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Can feel for the Caribbean, they got yet another hurricane heading their way. And if this hits Florida or any of the East Coast... We still have another week to assess where this thing will go for US, but not so for Caribbean islands. The track does appear that it'll go far West than Irma, though

Not sure if it's appropriate to speak more about storms now that Irma is long gone, but... there's another after Jose and Irma: Maria

205956_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Can feel for the Caribbean, they got yet another hurricane heading their way. And if this hits Florida or any of the East Coast... We still have another week to assess where this thing will go for US, but not so for Caribbean islands. The track does appear that it'll go far West than Irma, though
We can relabel the thread as 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season to be fair.

upload_2017-9-18_14-51-15.png

Well, the track looks like it will begin to turn eastward before it gets to Florida, so the east coast may have to be on the lookout or they could get lucky. Puerto Rico, though, are going to get royally boned by the looks of it.

View attachment 673517
Well, the track looks like it will begin to turn eastward before it gets to Florida, so the east coast may have to be on the lookout or they could get lucky. Puerto Rico, though, are going to get royally boned by the looks of it.
Meanwhile Jose looks like it's going to just roll around in the Atlantic and may affect Maria's path.

I don't remember having this many powerful storms this close together? Someone who's more into weather, do you know? Seems like googling is all over the place with it.

I don't remember having this many powerful storms this close together? Someone who's more into weather, do you know? Seems like googling is all over the place with it.
A few years come to mind. 1 in the mid 90s (I think 1996). The others in 2004 (Charley, Ivan, Jeanne) and 2005 (Katrina, Wilma).

From what I know, 2017 has the record for the most consecutive hurricanes, with six storms in a row developing to at least Category 1 (Frankie, Gert, Harvey, Irma, Jose, Katia), the first to have two Atlantic storms making US landfall at Category 4 or above, the first to have four Category 4 Atlantic hurricanes since 2010 and one of only six years on record to have two Category 5 Atlantic hurricanes. And with Irma, it also set the record for the largest Accumulated Cyclone Energy (ACE) in one day - and the ACE rating is well above average, despite setting a record for lowest ACE of the first five storms of the season :lol:

2010 was quite poor, with three Category 4 in one month from four in total (Danielle in August, then Earl, Igor and Julia), with two at once and a Category 3 - though all three missed the USA, and only the Category 3 even made landfall as a hurricane.

2005 was the horror show. Largest ACE of any season, four Category 5 storms (Emily, Katrina, Rita, Wilma), five successive hurricanes (Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Phillipe, Rita), 28 named storms - they ran out of names and went with Greek letters...

2005 was the horror show. Largest ACE of any season, four Category 5 storms (Emily, Katrina, Rita, Wilma), five successive hurricanes (Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Phillipe, Rita), 28 named storms - they ran out of names and went with Greek letters...
Indeed, I still remember watching that season unfold in awe. It was quite a show and set a number of records: most storms formed (by a wide margin, 28 vs 21 for the next highest ), most powerful storm in the Atlantic basin (Wilma, 882 mbar), most major hurricanes (tied at 7), costliest season on record, most storms formed before the end of July, most storms formed during July, longest lasting December hurricane, most category 5 hurricanes (4), etc.

EDIT: Maria is now the most powerful storm of 2017, with a minimum pressure of just 909 mbar and max wind speeds of 175 mph, with potential for further strengthening depending on eyewall replacement cycles.

If you live in the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico, good luck. You're in for a helluva ride. Stay as safe as you can, and let us know if you need help.

Last edited:
I hope everyone here in Puerto Rico and actually anyone who is in the storm's path to please stay safe and find shelter. Meanwhile, the apparently immortal Jose is continuing to just spin around in almost no forward movement and may loop over its own path and head back towards the Mid-Atlantic states, where it will again loop back and head out to sea again (most likely).

I hope everyone here in Puerto Rico and actually anyone who is in the storm's path to please stay safe and find shelter. Meanwhile, the apparently immortal Jose is continuing to just spin around in almost no forward movement and may loop over its own path and head back towards the Mid-Atlantic states, where it will again loop back and head out to sea again (most likely).
Jose's hitting the Cape, although it doesn't seem serious. The radio this morning was reporting that it was going over Nantucket and part of the cape. We're getting rain as far north as Boston.

Jose's hitting the Cape, although it doesn't seem serious. The radio this morning was reporting that it was going over Nantucket and part of the cape. We're getting rain as far north as Boston.
It's supposed to meander where it is and according to the forecast, will remain roughly where it is until Sunday. That COULD cause Maria to make landfall on the Outer Banks.

Back