Storm Watch: 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season

Thoughts with everyone in Puerto Rico. Does appear that Maria is trending more offshore, present track being issued by NHC is a tad west of consensus. Only issue right now is whether the next upper level trough picks it up and keeps it offshore. One of the problems right now is that high pressure ridge in the northern atlantic hasn't been strong enough to provide a good steering environment, and is partly why the tracks have been all over the place for Irma, Jose, and Maria.

Coral Bay, St. John. US Virgin Islands after Maria.

22008176_1722985014420851_6854533475099095346_n.jpg

This is some of the best footage I have seen.

That is the best I have seen also. I can see that film doing well on just about any cable channel.

I have a friend that is a regular in my GT6 room. He lives just north of Ponce. That is on the southern side, near the middle of the island.

My room has a website, and for the first time since the hurricane he got cell signal and contacted us. Here is what he said:
English is his second language.

Tito!: "Hurricane Survivor": Hello guys! I'm ok. Finally i found signal (barely 2g). My house is ok, my car lost part of the clear coating,most tree falled down. Theres no electricity, no cell signal yesterday at 11:39amx

Tito!: Long lines for gas (i heard people making lines for 7 hours, in the first days). yesterday at 11:52amx

Tito!: Help is barely reaching now, for example, making dinner for 500, but there are 50,000 in the town. For some reason, government is very inefficient, maybe trying be political, to get voters etc. yesterday at 11:56amx

Tito!: For me, im ok. My family prepared well and we have canned food, rice, water, everything that's essential. We are trying to live without ice/refrigerator. The lines for ice are insane, 2 hour minimum wait in line (unless you are handicapped). yesterday at 11:59amx

Tito!: I miss playing with you guys, i hope everyone is ok too. I dont know when i will have electricity, since there are electricity/internet lines in the road. yesterday at 12:02pmx

Tito!: I wanted to make a vid, but since charging smartphones ect is so hard, i didnt yesterday at 12:03pmx

The wind was so strong, it sandblasted his car.

Is 'ponce' a noun for anything in the US? Just curious.
We have a road named Ponce de Leon Ave in Atlanta. We call it Ponce.
My dad told me as a kid it was named after the Spanish explorer.
I believe he found the swamplands of South GA/North FL.

Is 'ponce' a noun for anything in the US? Just curious.
There is another meaning. Google it.

In other news, my racing buddy from Puerto Rico rejoined our GT6 room for the first time last night.

I told him that I had heard that the trucker's union had told the truck drivers on the island not to go back to work. He said that that was true.

He said that the government asked truckers to contact them directly if they wanted work, bypassing the union all together.

Last edited:
Yeh, I saw this on the BBC News this morning - a somewhat inappropriately jolly weather forecaster cheerfully declared that the UK might see a little disruption thanks to an 'ex-hurricane' on Monday... :ill:

Ss8TyBxl.jpg

I don't know about you, but that doesn't look like no ex-hurricane to me!

Being in the south of England, I'm just looking forward to temperatures over 20C, havent seen them for ages.

Yeh, I saw this on the BBC News this morning - a somewhat inappropriately jolly weather forecaster cheerfully declared that the UK might see a little disruption thanks to an 'ex-hurricane' on Monday... :ill:

Ss8TyBxl.jpg

I don't know about you, but that doesn't look like no ex-hurricane to me!
I think they're saying ex since it will technically be an extratropical cyclone (cold core) rather than a tropical cyclone (warm core).

Look out, Ireland:
upload_2017-10-15_16-29-27.png

Has this happened often? Looking around on the internet seems to suggest a hurricane hitting the Isles is fairly rare, but I'm not really sure what happens once a hurricane leaves the US and heads back to sea.

Has this happened often? Looking around on the internet seems to suggest a hurricane hitting the Isles is fairly rare, but I'm not really sure what happens once a hurricane leaves the US and heads back to sea.

All weather in Britain is terrible. It's either too warm, too dry, too cold, too windy, too still or too humid. Or a combination of those. It's always going to be better next summer... but if it is it'll be too bloody hot.

It's been really sticky this past week, something like 80% humidity and 18C, unheard of in October.

The UK gets a couple wind storms every year but they're nowhere near as strong as a hurricane. It's pretty rare for extratropical cyclones to hit the British Isles, usually they get absorbed into other systems and/or pass further north, so while we'll feel the effect of these systems it's very rare for them to even resemble a tropical cyclone. There was a hurricane-like storm which hit the south of England in 1987 which is pretty famous, but the fact that a storm that hit 30 years ago is still remembered as a very unusual event shows the frequency of this sort of thing.

Also Michael Fish saying on the Weather it would be normal didn't help either.
To be fair, I think what he said was that it wasn't going to be a hurricane, which was technically true. However, it was presented in such a way that most people interpreted it as a statement of how serious the storm would be rather than a statement about the meteorological nature of the storm.

The wind is really picking up here now in Limerick. Not too bad yet but definitely quite a bit faster. Smells different, too. Almost Mediterranean-ish. Reminds me of when I was in Cyprus in that sense :lol:

This Sahara dust brought up by Ophelia has turned the sky here in Oxfordshire a beigey-orange colour. Very odd.
I'm quite curious about that. If you can post a picture, please do! Of course, stay safe.

Back